Do I Need to Have my TV Calibrated? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #61 of 98 Old 04-09-2020, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManFan View Post
Some of us have no choice but to calibrate, because we have psychological disorders that prevent us from enjoying something that isn't performing at its optimum level. ...

Laughed out loud for the first time in a few days. Thanks.
imagic, Cal68 and IronManFan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 Old 04-09-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 668
I have never personally bothered with it. My mom bought a tv years ago and calibration came with the installation. As far as I am concerned so long as I think the picutre looks good, I'm good with that. That said I have adjusted teh brightness and contract on both my big tv's as I found them both to bright out of the box. I tend to prefer a bit dimmer picture with a bit boosted color saturation. I wouldn't mind getting my Vizio P series calibrated, the Vizio has one of the MOST accessible calibration menu on pretty much any tv, and see what it looks like, but I would be pissed to pay that money and then NOT like the picture.
post #63 of 98 Old 04-09-2020, 01:00 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9559 Post(s)
Liked: 17006
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
I have never personally bothered with it. My mom bought a tv years ago and calibration came with the installation. As far as I am concerned so long as I think the picutre looks good, I'm good with that. That said I have adjusted teh brightness and contract on both my big tv's as I found them both to bright out of the box. I tend to prefer a bit dimmer picture with a bit boosted color saturation. I wouldn't mind getting my Vizio P series calibrated, the Vizio has one of the MOST accessible calibration menu on pretty much any tv, and see what it looks like, but I would be pissed to pay that money and then NOT like the picture.
Yes, it's true, calibrating a Vizio is much easier than some other brands because of the way the app lets you enter settings into a table, instead of having to fumble with the remote control and on-screen menus, which is just a miserable experience.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 98 Old 04-09-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yes, it's true, calibrating a Vizio is much easier than some other brands because of the way the app lets you enter settings into a table, instead of having to fumble with the remote control and on-screen menus, which is just a miserable experience.
I was surprised when I got my first one just how MANY settings are readily available in the picture menu and not hidden in some developer or calibrator type set up where you have to do certain things to even gain access to the settings.
post #65 of 98 Old 04-09-2020, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnblues View Post
Laughed out loud for the first time in a few days. Thanks.
happy I could bring a moment's respite.
post #66 of 98 Old 04-09-2020, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I have the 85" Sony 950G and while it was really excellent out of the box, the calibrator did improve things. He spent a long time here and his fee was reasonable. Here are some of the charts he posted to me later on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibration 3.png
Views:	79
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	2707876   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibration 2.png
Views:	75
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	2707878   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibration 1.png
Views:	72
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	2707880  

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #67 of 98 Old 04-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
I have the 85" Sony 950G and while it was really excellent out of the box, the calibrator did improve things. He spent a long time here and his fee was reasonable. Here are some of the charts he posted to me later on.
So, I don't want to be critical of the person who performed this calibration. But I am, to a point, forced to do so because it speaks directly to the point I was attempting to make with this article. Here's why... https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g

Scroll down to the "pre calibration" chart on rtings. with a starting point of "Custom" mode, these are the pre-calibration numbers: "White Balance dE 0.94, Color dE 1.58, Gamma 2.19,. Color Temperature 6493 K" - these numbers are on the verge of being "calibrated right out of the box" and actually quite close to your post calibration numbers.

Now, it seems to me that your calibrator measured some other picture mode that is not nearly as accurate out-of-the-box. It makes for an impressive "look at what a great job I did fixing this horrible error" but the whole point of my article is that TVs like the X950G do measure well out of the box, if you pick the right picture mode.

Because rtings buys its TVs, rather than accepting cherry picked samples from manufacturers, it's reasonable to think that the Custom mode on your TV is also highly accurate without any calibration. Having said that, the 75" X950G I reviewed last year also had excellent color accuracy right out of the box and only required minor tweaking to bring it to a fully calibrated state - I wish we knew which picture mode was used for the pre calibration chart on your TV.
dcnblues, Cal68, khcoach and 1 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-10-2020 at 01:25 AM.
post #68 of 98 Old 04-09-2020, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnblues View Post
This is too complacent. The problem is that people, and especially kids, grow to prefer what they've been exposed to. There was a Stanford study on audio which I'm sure translates to visual reproduction in which it was clearly shown that given a choice between crappy ear bud sound and high end headphones, kids preferred the crappy sound. Same deal with heavy bass and overly produced / equalized sound in relation to high fidelity.

When people watch movies / tv on screens with heavily altered signals because screen manufacturers need to (ironically) jack up synthetic modifications to make gaming look more real, or because they think they're supposed to prefer the 'loudness wars' of uber bright 'display settings' (the better to seem brighter / crisper in comparison to competitor's screens at Costco or wherever), it's a problem.
I'm not sure how that changes what I wrote. The whole point of an ISF calibration is to make your TV as accurate to the standard as possible. Whether or not the colors look more pleasing isn't the point for people who want a calibration.

For me, I want the picture as accurate as possible. Some movies are ugly, but it's usually the intent of the director. But a majority of movies look fantastic.
post #69 of 98 Old 04-10-2020, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I've got a lg c9 oled. I had to lower brighness to 48 and colors as well to my liking. Oled lamp 67. Prior to this Dolby Vision was to red. Now i'm very happy with the result. I normaly use isf dark.
post #70 of 98 Old 04-10-2020, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Necessary? No, probably not.
I do plan to have mine done later this year hopefully when things return to normal somewhat.
I just want to see what a quality tv properly calibrated looks like just once in my life.
The idea of having everything set to reference level standards is exciting to me.

After watching a couple of calibrators at work on similar tvs on youtube, I was sad to see in some cases things like Dolby Vision pre calibration.
It looks out of whack to me and in need of dialing in, once it was done and they show the post calibration numbers for grey scale and black levels, etc.. was enough to show me I really want to have a decent tv calibrated to bring out all of its potential.
post #71 of 98 Old 04-10-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I had my OLED calibrated by a local big box technician who was ISF certified. He spent an hour on the TV and went on his way and I was not pleased with the result. Was the picture “reference?” I guess it was. But was it pleasing? No.

The blacks were way too dark which crushed shadow detail. Sure some HDR material got some color pop but as soon as I watched broadcast or played a game or watched anything in SDR, the picture just didn’t look right. So I changed the settings back to something that might not be “reference” but is pleasing to me.

Lastly, I think there is some placebo effect/justify my purchase thing going on here. People who buy $100,000 speaker cables don’t want to hear that they got played, or people who spent $500+ on a calibration don’t want to hear that calibration is purely optional and subjective, just like the guy down the street with the white indoor sunglasses, popped collar and too much hair product doesn’t want to hear that there are cheaper cars that can outrun his M4.
A full calibration or a 3500 point calibration anyway should take around 4 or 5 hours to complete, the few I have witnessed and watched on videos took at least 4 hours.
I never heard of a calibration that took 1 hour.
post #72 of 98 Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
This is all rather funny, really... do you want what someone says you are supposed to like - or do you want what you like...?

A lot (most?) of people (non-videophiles) don't like the look of a "properly" calibrated TV.

I was at a Magnolia store years ago looking for my first upper-level TV and there was a setup there showing off a calibrated TV vs. a non-calibrated TV.

The rep asked me which TV I thought looked better - and I quickly picked the one that looked better to me - it was the un-calibrated one.

He said that almost everyone picks the un-calibrated one.

The calibrated one looked dark, washed out, dull, lifeless, etc.

Just like the THX mode on my first upper-level TV.
this is partly true and partly misleading.

Yes some people are so used to saturated colors that to them a properly calibrated tv's colors can seem off or bland in certain cases, BUT, IMO, grey scale, shadow detail as a result of black levels, etc.. are going to look better regardless of your preference in color temperatures and saturation levels
imagic likes this.
post #73 of 98 Old 04-10-2020, 08:42 AM

[quote=Edgar Reyes;59460562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Sounds to me like the person doing the calibrating did not know what they were doing.

To me, someone with an untrained eye who enjoys what in my eyes looks like a good picture, I have always kept away from engaging a professional calibrator. Reason: How do I know that the person calibrating my television is an actual "Good" professional calibrator rather than a hobbyist with some equipment, software and the opportunity to make some $$$? Please don't get me wrong; I know that you do not become "good " at anything overnight. But, I would really feel stupid if I pay someone $500.00 USD ( a got a quote from someone), to come into my home, calibrated my TV only to find later that this person did not know what they were doing.

Just as an example: I have tried enabling Netflix calibrated mode on my Z9G when watching an episode of "Lost in Space". Like I have said, my eyes are untrained, but I do not enjoy the much darker picture. In other words, the picture sucks. Am I missing something here? Is that the kind of picture I should be expecting after professional calibration? Should I instead try the expert 1 and 2 modes that someone mentioned in a reply? I would like to have my TV calibrated, but I need an idea as to where to find a qualified calibrator in my area.

To that end, is there a website or online database where one could find reviews of professional calibrators for City/State/Area?

Thank you for any advise / guidance.
Ed
The calibrators in my area have web pages where you can look them up, their history, education, experience etc.. is all there for you to view, you can also look at references, etc..It seems pretty easy to check on a calibrator, if they have years of experience with references etc.
post #74 of 98 Old 04-10-2020, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 4219 Post(s)
Liked: 3341
My first THX certified calibrator, left such a mess (With a hefty bill) on 3 of my sets, i hunkered down and learned to do it my self with the proper equipment and meters. This started 14 years ago when Calman was geared just to Sonys and Samsungs. I had an LG - it came out looking Yellow. First Spectro was the the i1Pro that had to be initialized to it's white spot every 10 minutes - not fun! Now days software and meters are far superior, and the TV, once calibrated, looks far more Natural. i1Pro2 - now goes 120 minutes plus after initializing to the base White spot. Profiling to the i1Display Pro is now much easier, and more accurate.
imagic and Bruce2019 like this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #75 of 98 Old 04-11-2020, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
Does Chad B ever come to Greater Toronto area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Is he even going anywhere these days ?
Chad B was scheduled to come and calibrate my JVC projector and sound system next week but alas, his tour has been postponed for obvious reasons. I hope that it does not take too long before he can reschedule the visit.

Cal68

Cal68
post #76 of 98 Old 04-11-2020, 08:06 AM
Mark Henninger

[quote=lumper;59474258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Reyes View Post

The calibrators in my area have web pages where you can look them up, their history, education, experience etc.. is all there for you to view, you can also look at references, etc..It seems pretty easy to check on a calibrator, if they have years of experience with references etc.
No doubt, if you're going to get into the calibration business, you have to present a professional image and provide people with justification for spending the money on you. Ultimately, positive references and word-of-mouth and accumulated experience will allow such a calibrator to charge more than geek squad or some hobbyist dilettante who decides to dabble.

Another thing to look for is equipment, specifically to ensure that the calibrator has a spectrophotometer with which to profile their colorimeter. For critical work, having high quality measurement gear that is properly calibrated is a must. To do this at a high level, especially for reference quality displays in critical applications such as dedicated home theater, you have to put a significant investment into the software and the hardware.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #77 of 98 Old 04-11-2020, 01:25 PM

[quote=imagic;59479306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumper View Post

No doubt, if you're going to get into the calibration business, you have to present a professional image and provide people with justification for spending the money on you. Ultimately, positive references and word-of-mouth and accumulated experience will allow such a calibrator to charge more than geek squad or some hobbyist dilettante who decides to dabble.

Another thing to look for is equipment, specifically to ensure that the calibrator has a spectrophotometer with which to profile their colorimeter. For critical work, having high quality measurement gear that is properly calibrated is a must. To do this at a high level, especially for reference quality displays in critical applications such as dedicated home theater, you have to put a significant investment into the software and the hardware.
That is a good point I forgot to mention, on the sites I looked at they all listed their current equipment and as they have upgraded over the years I am sure this reflects those changes.
post #78 of 98 Old 04-12-2020, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Chad B was scheduled to come and calibrate my JVC projector and sound system next week but alas, his tour has been postponed for obvious reasons. I hope that it does not take too long before he can reschedule the visit.
ChadB calibrated my TV. He does great work.

I was going to buy a 77" OLED in the near future, but the thought of going from a calibrated TV to one with out of the box settings isn't so appealing. I'll now probably wait until calibrators start touring again before jumping in. I'll just have to live with a 65" OLED for the near future. First world problems.
post #79 of 98 Old 04-12-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
ChadB calibrated my TV. He does great work.

I was going to buy a 77" OLED in the near future, but the thought of going from a calibrated TV to one with out of the box settings isn't so appealing. I'll now probably wait until calibrators start touring again before jumping in. I'll just have to live with a 65" OLED for the near future. First world problems.
Yes, first world problems indeed! Chad B calibrated my previous projector and so I was looking forward to being wowed by his work again. Oh well, as Dr. Tony Fauchi says, the virus will determine the timeline!

Cal68

Cal68
post #80 of 98 Old 04-14-2020, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Meh
post #81 of 98 Old 04-23-2020, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 45
NO, The factory presets you can CHOOSE from these days, are just great out of the box. I have mine set for both movie and TV programming. No muss..No Fuss

TV: TCL 55" 4K UHD HDR w ROKU
DENON AVR-S910W, 7.2, HDMI 2.0a, 4K UHD HDR, Upscaling, Atmos, Wi-Fi, etc. [2016]
KLIPSCH: L/R: R-51M - Ctr: RP-400C - Sub: R-100SW - POLK S-20 Surround
SPKR Wire:Windy City Wire - 16ga, 2 Cond, Twisted Pair, Shielded, Jacketed [USA]
HDMI: VANCO - 4K, 18Gbps, 2.0b, Certified --- [AT&T - Directv Sat. & DSL 100Mbps]
post #82 of 98 Old 04-23-2020, 08:17 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetertotter View Post
NO, The factory presets you can CHOOSE from these days, are just great out of the box. I have mine set for both movie and TV programming. No muss..No Fuss
That's pretty much what I'm getting at, today's TVs are much improved over how it used to be, even not so long ago. Simply using the appropriate preset is one of the biggest "improvements" a typical consumer can make in terms of improving their viewing experience, And yep, it costs nothing extra and is as convenient as picking the right picture mode through the menu. I still wish there was a dedicated button on remote controls that let you cycle through picture modes, like you find with some projectors.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #83 of 98 Old 04-25-2020, 11:11 AM

After 1000 hours of usage, there will be changes to electronics values. Some may notice changes in the PQ, and others, like my wife, would never notice unless extreme!

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's

Last edited by p5browne; 05-07-2020 at 01:03 PM.
post #84 of 98 Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
It's idiotic not to calibrate. Whether you need a professional calibration or not is a whole different discussion. I've had good results using the calibrations posted here and adjusting them a bit by eyeballing it- not the most scientific method, but it noticeably improved the performance from when the TV came out of the box.
I dont agree- one thing that is not being articulated is there are calibrations and calibrators and there are calibrations and calibrators. And $600 is NOT a trivial outlay even for a decent set $~3000. If you are watching exclusively movies in a dedicated darkened theater on a projector , OF course a GOOD calibration within reason (<$500) can make much sense. But for multiple people watching multiple, sources in a bedroom without light control at all times fo the day I Dont think one is foolish to skip the expense. Again a lot depend son how good calibrator is and what they are charging as well.
post #85 of 98 Old 05-23-2020, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10187 Post(s)
Liked: 7217
Nothing was more dramatic than the pre and post calibration of my rear projection HDTV in the last decade.

Jaw dropping.

My current TV, after a bit of tweaking by myself, looks so much better than that calibrated TV that I haven't bothered.

Apples and Oranges, I know, but we are also watching less movies, especially when it is completely dark, than we used to.

If I had a dedicated home theater with a projector I think I'd absolutely do it.
Willie_Tee likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #86 of 98 Old 05-23-2020, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 4716
Adjustment = Free; Calibration = Money. I'm reluctant to do the latter.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #87 of 98 Old 05-24-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucevantage View Post
I dont agree- one thing that is not being articulated is there are calibrations and calibrators and there are calibrations and calibrators. And $600 is NOT a trivial outlay even for a decent set $~3000. If you are watching exclusively movies in a dedicated darkened theater on a projector , OF course a GOOD calibration within reason (<$500) can make much sense. But for multiple people watching multiple, sources in a bedroom without light control at all times fo the day I Dont think one is foolish to skip the expense. Again a lot depend son how good calibrator is and what they are charging as well.
I think you're saying the same thing I was. Not calibrating at all is idiotic, but you can use the settings off of this forum and tweak them to make them look good to you and the content you're watching, and that doesn't cost anything.
post #88 of 98 Old 05-24-2020, 09:39 PM

If not getting calibrated, try finding 3 or 4 settings from other sources for your model, and try each to see which is the best fit.
Once calibrated and you get use to it, there's no going back. Skin color off ? I pull out the meter , laptop and software and get my skin color tone back.
Currently looking at the new i1Display Pro Plus with the higher nit level (2000). Got amazon price down in Canada, and now wife wants to buy it for Fathers Day - nice - free to me!

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #89 of 98 Old 06-11-2020, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
To many, getting use to a calibrated set, is like learning to like olives. (Which I still don't) Once addicted to a calibrated set, you never go back. Sunglasses required when visiting local Audio/Video stores.

When I calibrate my set, I've learned it hasn't looked quite right until the set settles in: 30 minutes to 2 hours later? Next day?
But, I always do a fine tune the next day and this now brings out the best. Which leads to the above posting - a set CANNOT be calibrated properly in an hour!

Many have used my settings, and to them I've always said that my settings might work quite well on their set, will work with some additional tweaking, or just plain won't work at all. NONE will look like mine with my settings !

Despite TVs having the same model #, all have differences between the panels, some actually have different manufacturer's panels, time of usage affects component values, is the manufacturer using same settings on all sets, or actually some kind of calibration for each.

To each their own. Who's happier, that chap going down the street, big boom box on his shoulder, blaring out at 50% distortion, big smile on his face, or the audiophile who hears minute scratches on his vinyl record, and it's driving him crazy.

Then there's my wife - it has color, makes noise and plays what I want - leave it alone.
"Then there's my wife - it has color, makes noise and plays what I want - leave it alone."
I tell my wife she is watching SD instead of the same HD content on a digital channel. She doesn't care enough to change the channel, or remember it.
post #90 of 98 Old 06-11-2020, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 4716
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
"Then there's my wife - it has color, makes noise and plays what I want - leave it alone."
I tell my wife she is watching SD instead of the same HD content on a digital channel. She doesn't care enough to change the channel, or remember it.
Now, about the oil in the car.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
color calibration , tv calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page