Best WiFi Routers for Working from Home, Multimedia and Gaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 4 Post By punahou80
  • 3 Post By soarhevn
  • 1 Post By JSchulte
  • 1 Post By DimitriAus

post #1 of 24 Old 04-07-2020, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Best WiFi Routers for Working from Home, Multimedia and Gaming

Streaming and online gaming can be insanely frustrating when you don’t have a good WiFi connection. Add to that the extra stress put on home networks due to the “stay at home orders” resulting from the Coronavirus pandemic and that old router you’ve relied on for years might easily be overwhelmed.

Click here to see a list of routers that will solve your WiFi bandwidth bottleneck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 57
or you can build your own: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...ur-own-router/

and add some wf6 or ac wave 2 mimo APs

i host a silent film podcast here:
https://anchor.fm/watchingsilentfilms
^that or everywhere podcasts are found. or find out where else here:
https://watchingsilentfilms.wordpress.com/
post #3 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
or you can build your own: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...ur-own-router/

and add some wf6 or ac wave 2 mimo APs
My Asus AC-66U's (both) had constant issues dropping and needing to be rebooted. They weren't very good for range either. I see the AC-68U getting good reviews and that could be the case, I was leary because the similar form factor when I bought new routers but I'm sure if the interenals were updated everything I experienced could change.

I stayed with Asus when I finally replaced those and got a pair of AC-86U's, and they've been serving perfectly - strong signal in a moderate sized house, fast, and reliable. Had to tweak some settings to get a Sony blu-ray player to see a QNAP NAS but once that was done life's been great with them. I'm sure the routers in the list are all good but they have been as well in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Unhappy This Thread has no value..

All it does is agglomerate bullet points from sales web pages.
No actual evaluation or reviews, just how many stars on Amazon.

I'll admit that I haven't been on the forum for a while - my bad. But threads like this don't help bring me back.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This doesn't make sense . Editing issue?

ASUS AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router RT-AC3200

When this router debuted at $300 it garnered positive reviews for its features but was criticized for being a bit pricey. But at $2000 this tri-band router offers fast and easy setup.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I put in an eero Pro mesh router about $300 and all coverage issues went away. I have Spectrum's latest router but only use the eero for WiFi in the Bridge Mode. I have two pucks but not using them at the moment.
Johnny S
post #7 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You can do a "Speed Test" of your internet speed. I might think 15Mbps would be minimum requirement for home use??

TV: TCL 55" 4K UHD HDR w ROKU
DENON AVR-S910W, 7.2, HDMI 2.0a, 4K UHD HDR, Upscaling, Atmos, Wi-Fi, etc. [2016]
KLIPSCH: L/R: R-51M - Ctr: RP-400C - Sub: R-100SW - POLK S-20 Surround
SPKR Wire:Windy City Wire - 16ga, 2 Cond, Twisted Pair, Shielded, Jacketed [USA]
HDMI: VANCO - 4K, 18Gbps, 2.0b, Certified --- [AT&T - Directv Sat. & DSL 100Mbps]
post #8 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Please forgive my ignorance. I know nothing about these things.

Are a modem and router the same thing?

Currently I have an Arris SB6183 modem in my computer room.
On the other side of the house, in the theater room, is an Apple extender plugged into one of the outlets. I am not a gamer at all.

Question, can more than one extender be used in other places around the home?
While I have no problems in the computer room office, she often does her computer work in the dining room and complains that her system will frequently crash. I just bought her a new $1000 laptop so it surely can't be the computer.

Could it be that because I am on a Mac Pro and she is on a PC that that is the cause of her issues? I doubt this could be the case but just need to confirm.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks for your time.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #9 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Ubiquiti

Over the years I went through a lot of those consumer WiFi Routers. They all suck.

Several years ago I moved over to using Ubiquiti equipment, and have not looked back. No more expensive than the top consumer WiFi Routers.

If you are technical, look at Ubiquity for the Edgerouter X and pair with one of their Unifi AP's. Another choice is go to all in with Unifi Security Gateway (a router) or the Dream Machine.

If you are NOT technical, then look at AmpliFi which is products for non tech folks by Ubiquiti.

Both Unifi and AmpliFi can be set up so you have full home coverage and repeaters that do not lose you bandwidth.
post #10 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance. I know nothing about these things.

Are a modem and router the same thing?

Currently I have an Arris SB6183 modem in my computer room.
On the other side of the house, in the theater room, is an Apple extender plugged into one of the outlets. I am not a gamer at all.

Question, can more than one extender be used in other places around the home?
While I have no problems in the computer room office, she often does her computer work in the dining room and complains that her system will frequently crash. I just bought her a new $1000 laptop so it surely can't be the computer.

Could it be that because I am on a Mac Pro and she is on a PC that that is the cause of her issues? I doubt this could be the case but just need to confirm.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks for your time.
They are not the same but are often combined in the same box. Say your internet arrives from a cable wire. It is fed into a modem and converted into data a computer can read. So cable plugged into a modem and the modem out (Ethernet) transfers the data a computer in a usable format. A router (routes the data) lets you share the data with multiple devices or networks. A router can be hard wired with several Ethernet outs allowing a direct Ethernet connection to multiple devices or a wireless connection to any wireless device within the wireless range of the router.
Steve544 likes this.

Living room: Panasonic ST-P55ST50; Pioneer elite sc-501; Front L&R B&W CMW 7.3, Center B&W CMW 7.4; sub B&W ASW 610
Basement: LG OLED CX65; NAD 758 v3; Front L&R KEF R500, Center KEF R200c, rear surrounds KEF T100s; Atmos KEF Q50s; sub KEF Kube 10b
post #11 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchulte View Post
They are not the same but are often combined in the same box. Say your internet arrives from a cable wire. It is fed into a modem and converted into data a computer can read. So cable plugged into a modem and the modem out (Ethernet) transfers the data a computer in a usable format. A router (routes the data) lets you share the data with multiple devices or networks. A router can be hard wired with several Ethernet outs allowing a direct Ethernet connection to multiple devices or a wireless connection to any wireless device within the wireless range of the router.
Thank you for answering. So, are a router and my Apple extender which is on the other side of the house, the same things? Can more than one router be used in a home so that the wi fi is stronger around the house?

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #12 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Thank you for answering. So, are a router and my Apple extender which is on the other side of the house, the same things? Can more than one router be used in a home so that the wi fi is stronger around the house?
A router and extender are different. But to help you, can you describe how your "Apple extender" is installed? I ask because the Arris SB6183 is just a cable modem. It doesn't have WiFi capabilities so you need a separate WiFi router. Could it be your "Apple extender" is an Airport Extreme or Express and IS your WiFi router? What does it look like and is it connected to the wall with an ethernet cable? A little more information will help you get better advice and instructions.

Also, you mention your wife has a new laptop and "she complains that her system will frequently crash." Maybe you mean something else but poor or no WiFi will not make your computer crash.

LG OLED65B6P | Marantz SR7012 | Oppo UDP-203 | Emotiva BasX A-500 | AppleTV | DALI Ikon 7, Ikon 2, Ikon Vokal 2 | RSL Speedwoofer 10S | Technics SL-1210G (Ortofon Bronze) | ClearAudio Concept (Concept MC) | ClearAudio Nano v2 | Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital | Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra | Roon Labs Intel NUC Rock

Last edited by mistergsf; 04-09-2020 at 06:02 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2403 Post(s)
Liked: 2726
I use this thing...https://amplifi.com/alien

Best router I have owned so far. No issues and great coverage. App is great too.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-09-2020, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I use this thing...https://amplifi.com/alien

Best router I have owned so far. No issues and great coverage. App is great too.
I'm considering the same but need to read more reviews. We use a Ubiquiti router, switches, and UniFi WiFi access points at work and they're the best. I have no experience yet with their consumer stuff.

Do you use Mac or PC and what internet provider do you use? How large is your house?

LG OLED65B6P | Marantz SR7012 | Oppo UDP-203 | Emotiva BasX A-500 | AppleTV | DALI Ikon 7, Ikon 2, Ikon Vokal 2 | RSL Speedwoofer 10S | Technics SL-1210G (Ortofon Bronze) | ClearAudio Concept (Concept MC) | ClearAudio Nano v2 | Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital | Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra | Roon Labs Intel NUC Rock
post #15 of 24 Old 04-10-2020, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The best router for gaming is the one without WiFi because WiFi always ads a lug and inconsistency. Use ethernet cables if you can. But the first question is how fast is the internet uplink. You wont get a 100Mbs from the 50Mbs internet by buying a $300 router. You may improve things with expensive router only if more then 5 people sit on your router and simultaneously streaming HD. Router quality defines performance of switching between clients, not the internet speed. The other question is WiFi range, the answer is at my old article wifi range
Steve544 likes this.

'How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again'. Mark Twain

Last edited by DimitriAus; 04-10-2020 at 02:32 AM.
post #16 of 24 Old 04-10-2020, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarhevn View Post
Over the years I went through a lot of those consumer WiFi Routers. They all suck.

Several years ago I moved over to using Ubiquiti equipment, and have not looked back. No more expensive than the top consumer WiFi Routers.

If you are technical, look at Ubiquity for the Edgerouter X and pair with one of their Unifi AP's. Another choice is go to all in with Unifi Security Gateway (a router) or the Dream Machine.

If you are NOT technical, then look at AmpliFi which is products for non tech folks by Ubiquiti.

Both Unifi and AmpliFi can be set up so you have full home coverage and repeaters that do not lose you bandwidth.
This!

I have been using a full Ubiquiti UniFi setup myself at home for the past few years. Never had an issue and dead easy to keep the software up to date, one thing completely missed out from this "list".

Most consumer routers have a year of security updates if you are lucky, then they are prime targets for hacking.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #17 of 24 Old 04-10-2020, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetertotter View Post
You can do a "Speed Test" of your internet speed. I might think 15Mbps would be minimum requirement for home use??
10 years ago, maybe.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #18 of 24 Old 04-10-2020, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I use the Ubiquiti stuff at home with several switches, four AP's and the USG. It works well but at work we're using a TP Link C7 as the router, two TP Link POE switches and an Engenius EAP1300 for the AP and it works equally well.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-10-2020, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Most consumer routers have a year of security updates if you are lucky, then they are prime targets for hacking.
I'm running a 6+ year old ASUS RT-AC66U as a access point and the most recent firmware is only 5 months old (Nov 2019). Note also that 3 of the 6 Routers listed are from ASUS.

I have been happy with this device, re-purposing it from its role as my primary router/WiFi when we bought a new house 3 years ago. We have FIOS so I left the modem/router with WiFi disabled in the basement at the head unit and wired the ASUS to a central location on the first floor. I was pleasantly surprised that it kept all the WiFi settings when we disabled the router...that made moving in and setting up our internet access a lot less painful/tedious than it might otherwise have been.

It also helps that I bought (many years ago) replacement hi-gain antennas that are on their 3rd WiFi router now...no issues with coverage anywhere in the house and well into the back yard.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #20 of 24 Old 04-10-2020, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Ubiquiti's Edgerouter X and Unifi UAP‑AC‑LR here. Bullet proof and covers every bit of our ~2200sqft home + outdoors, wife and I are both working from home now utilizing multiple OVPN connections, no known issues.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #21 of 24 Old 04-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Oh sorry, I thought I was on AVS forum....

What a BS article to appear on this forum, wtf.

Sony HW45ES - Seymour Center Stage XD 145" 16:9 - Sony PS3/4 - Onkyo 830 - (LR) Paradigm - (C) Polk CSI A6 - JTR 4000ULF sub - Micca R-8C (6x) - Focal 100 IW6 surrounds
post #22 of 24 Old 04-12-2020, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I use an Ubiquiti Amplifi HD setup....just the router & 1 "mesh" point for my house. I went with the gamer edition more for aesthetics and I also game on my PC. Simple and easy to setup with great support. It has been rock solid. I've had decent luck with some Asus routers in the past. The one thing that has also helped at my house with network reliability has been using a UPS for both my router & home server due to the occasional brownouts or brief power outages. So far, great reliability & no complaints from the wife, who is a frequent media streamer. I always make sure to tell my WiFi love her too!
post #23 of 24 Old 04-12-2020, 09:36 PM
Chief Observation Officer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Did anyone even proofread this 'article' before publishing it?

I stopped after the third error in two paragraphs. Seems like a bad copy paste from a PDF.

Family room: Roku Ultra, Philips BDP7501 ||| Marantz SR7010 ||| Samsung UN65JS9500 ||| Speakers 5.1.2: L/R PSA MT-110, Center PSA MT-210C, Subwoofer PSA T18-HT, Surrounds and heights [unknown in-ceiling]
Office: Marantz SR6011 ||| JRiver HTPC ||| NVidia Shield ||| JBL Studio 590 (R/L), PSA MT-110C, PSA 110SR (SR/SL) ||| Dali Zensor 1 (Rear) ||| Paradigm Titan (Front Height) ||| MiniMarty ||| LG B6 OLED
post #24 of 24 Old 04-13-2020, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Xfinity and pods in mesh format myself. Works fine. Buy them from Comcast if you want.

WiFi6 is screaming good though too, many friends going with one router and no more mesh to solv whole house and then some conectivity....

Deco M5 or M9 have been go to prior to this when someone wants to build their own mesh at home. Cannot beat the price or performance. Set one up with a friend this weekend for about 5000 sq/ft house

DO NOT get trapped into extenders... they do not swap from extender to extender without mesh and that is a different solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
gaming router , router , wifi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page