Best Universal Remotes on Amazon - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By MRAYB
  • 1 Post By erikfromMichigan

post #1 of 12 Old 04-23-2020, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Best Universal Remotes on Amazon

Having multiple components of your home theater, or home in general, can result in quite a few remote controls. Downsize your clutter with one of our picks for the best universal remotes and make your life a little easier.

Click here to see some suggestions for best universal remotes on Amazon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-23-2020, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 2243
Not on the list, but if this Inteset controlled more than 4 devices I might take it over my Harmony 650 or 665 (not on list either?). And it's only $25.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #3 of 12 Old 04-23-2020, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Not on the list, but if this Inteset controlled more than 4 devices I might take it over my Harmony 650 or 665 (not on list either?). And it's only $25.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tried the Intesat remote you linked to. The buttons, and the remote in general, are way too small for me to use easily and comfortably. Other folks may like it, but for me, my Harmony feels and works much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-23-2020, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I tried the Intesat remote you linked to. The buttons, and the remote in general, are way too small for me to use easily and comfortably. Other folks may like it, but for me, my Harmony feels and works much better.
Damn. I am 6'3" about 300 and I don't see that with the Inteset. Work had to special order gloves at my shop. "How big a boy are you?"
post #5 of 12 Old 04-23-2020, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the Harmony Elite for a couple years now and overall it's pretty good. But I do still find myself reaching for my tiny white DirecTV remote to control my DVR as the RF response time is leaps and bounds better than controlling the DVR through the Elite remote.

Does anyone know if you can communicate via RF directly from Harmony remote to the DVR? I know the Harmony remote has RF capabilities for communicating with it's hub, but i'm not sure if it's RF can be used to communicate with devices.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-23-2020, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I use a Harmony 700 because I like the layout of the play buttons etc...I don't know why the elite has them so far down the remote. I need to pick up a remote one handed and use thumb to hit play stop etc.

Also, off subject, does anyone else get annoyed that remotes are made of shiny black plastic that reflects light off tv in the dark? Seems like it should be made of flat black or matte finish. I always have to put remote on couch behind me or under blanket or it just reflects too much light....

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
post #7 of 12 Old 04-23-2020, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Rocking just the Harmony Hub which I control with Alexa and a Tablet or my phone.

Does everything I need it to do. The only issue is if the internet goes out. Rare in my area.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-23-2020, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derreckla View Post
I use a Harmony 700 because I like the layout of the play buttons etc...I don't know why the elite has them so far down the remote. I need to pick up a remote one handed and use thumb to hit play stop etc.

Also, off subject, does anyone else get annoyed that remotes are made of shiny black plastic that reflects light off tv in the dark? Seems like it should be made of flat black or matte finish. I always have to put remote on couch behind me or under blanket or it just reflects too much light....

I use a couple of these for my 650 and 665. I like them. Would fit a 700 also.
https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Logi...7678597&sr=8-2
post #9 of 12 Old 04-24-2020, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been using a Harmony Ultimate One (I think this model is discontinued) for the last 5 years and it's been great. It's th one with a small touchscreen and oddly placed transport buttons at the top and included the hub. All of my A/V equipment is located in a basement closet so the RF capabilities were a must. Those features work great and I don't notice any lag at all.

The TV is IR only and this remote is able to handle both IR and RF for basic Harmony use. However, when I wanted to use Alexa and some more advanced features that the Hub provides, it only does so via RF which meant I needed a solution for my TV since it's IR only. To solve that problem, I use the Sewell Direct BlastIR Wireless Pro IR Repeater which is a wireless IR emitter with wireless IR receiver. With the Sewell device, the IR receiver device is used with the TV's IR sensor and the transmitter is in the basement A/V closet - now all is handled via RF through the Harmony Hub - again, no lag at all with this repeater - it's a super neat device.

Prior to the Harmony, I used a trusty old URC-WR7 Universal Remote that I used with a NextGen Remote Extender (that too was a neat device - converted IR to RF using small battery transmitters) but ultimately the Harmony provided a better experience.
danielrg likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-24-2020, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I got a Harmony 665 as a freebie with a UHD player (LG UBK90). In my theater, I have 3 remotes - Marantz, Oppo, Roku. Marantz can control my projector, oppo, roku too but I like their remotes and it is an okay universal remote. So I only use it for projector. Upstairs in living area the Harmony 665 is great. Our baby always seemed to find the remotes and drag them around and we'd have to find them. Now he just drags around the Harmony and it seems durable .

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #11 of 12 Old 07-04-2020, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
does anyone live in canada and know of one that will work with the bell fibe tv box.
Bell is by far and away the worst company of all time well their lan line is what is but every other aspect of the company is a joke
post #12 of 12 Old 07-04-2020, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Poker View Post
does anyone live in canada and know of one that will work with the bell fibe tv box.
Bell is by far and away the worst company of all time well their lan line is what is but every other aspect of the company is a joke
Logitech Harmony.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
logitech harmony , Universal Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page