10 Best Sounding Dolby Atmos Movies on UHD Blu-ray - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #61 of 117 Old 04-29-2020, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 762
I also forgot about Midway (2019) UHD. Not a great movie but the battle scenes are Atmos heaven...and the LFE kicks butt as well.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 117 Old 04-29-2020, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Any live concerts as good as Hans Zimmer Live In Prague?

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #63 of 117 Old 04-29-2020, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 373
[quote=TrevEB;59569912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Automatic room correction systems, of whichever brand, use microphones that are pointed at the ceiling.

Here’s an oddball,
DEVS (Crosby Stills, Nash & Young)
Ok, its not atmos, but they must have remixed the songs as it sounds amazing.
DEVS?
I'm a big CSNY fan. Which concert are you referring to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 117 Old 04-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
I'd suggest you turn the ceiling speaker levels up.

I have upfiring speakers and they sound AMAZING! I get complete backwards, forwards surround as well as up and down coverage.
I love my upfiring as well and all things Atmos. So many with in celing Atmos seem to not like Atmos and yet decry Atmos enabled types.

-The single digits are where the magic lies.....they deliver a 'touch of god' sensation that sometimes makes the hairs on one's arms stand up. It's hard to describe but it feels like you are there in the recording studio with the artist and "feeling" them move as they are playing the instrument. You can't see them, but you can feel them as movements are happening on the floor below you. - trhought
post #65 of 117 Old 04-29-2020, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Your reply reminds me of a response I just gave someone the other day:

The other thing I think people miss the point of is the "object-enabled" aspect of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. You hear many complain about "not much activity going on up there" when they should be focusing on an expansion of the soundfield as objects can more readily traverse that 3D aural landscape without sounding so "speaker-centric" or specific. This is the ATMOSpheric bubble I like to refer to that gives me such a joy when watching films with this kind of audio mixed properly and done in the right way.

This is what I've always said and it's what I experience with my upfiring or "bounce" speakers that audio/visual people usually dismiss as a "gimmick"... but guess what? IT'S NOT!! If anything, I just don't think people have it set up properly nor are the Atmos upfiring speakers tilted at enough of an angle to project that bubble of sound overhead and around the main listening position (that's why I wouldn't recommend bulit in-atmos modules with left and right speakers as only separates can be angled properly). I just thought I'd throw this direct quote in from page 12 of the Dolby Atmos Home Installation Guidelines as it directly represents my experience as well...

Spoiler!
Well that's it I'm always going to be Atmos enabled with my 7.5 foot celings.

On the ambience front I will say that most of the selections have significant bass posted so far actually have significant bass roll off and I suspect the BEQ approach to restoring this bass would help them tremendously. Bass roll off equals a loss of overall ambience and natural sound.

So I'm going to come out of left field with some ambient faves:
1. Westworld, but upmix the core to Atmos for much better and interesting bass sounds from the music (but do switch back to full Atmos for cowboys and indians shoot em up scenes.)
2. Mary Queen of Scots - the overt effects are things like a bunch of horses galloping down a hill, but the meeting of the Queens has very nice ambience and wind sounds that come out best when your bass is perfectly flat.
3. Khatia Buniatishvili & Zubin Mehta: Liszt & Beethoven 4K, https://www.amazon.com/Khatia-Buniat.../dp/B072BWBWVW, cheaper direct from German Amazon - this one was recorded by Dolby and is a perfect disc for hand tuning all aspects of your system as the orchestral sound makes small changes more readily apparent and we have here a live recording of a live acoustic event rather than movie sorcery.
4. Faves for good off the shelf impact with natural sound and extended sound: Transformers Last Knight (not so much natural), Hunter Killer, Power Rangers.
5. Suspiria 1973 just is astoundingly natural Atmos sound with just oodles of ambience and probably the best in this department by a wide margin. Oh and the HDR is jaw dropping.

-The single digits are where the magic lies.....they deliver a 'touch of god' sensation that sometimes makes the hairs on one's arms stand up. It's hard to describe but it feels like you are there in the recording studio with the artist and "feeling" them move as they are playing the instrument. You can't see them, but you can feel them as movements are happening on the floor below you. - trhought
post #66 of 117 Old 04-29-2020, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
I did the Audyssey calibration on the Denon X6500H but wonder if I got the wrong speakers. No way I’️m going to replace them after cutting holes in the ceiling. I need an A/B switch for the ceiling, maybe then I could tell. Maybe my room is too small. I also don’️t have a wall on the left side.
Never let ANY built in calibration determine your speaker levels or distances. They will always be wrong, if even just a little.
Use a tape measure to your listening position and an SPL meter. Also turn off ALL of Audyssey's Volume levelers and limiters.
I use an NTI Audio XL2 that easily performs all the measurements you would ever want from your home theater. It also pointed out errors in the Audyssey cal for distance/delay, level and low frequency flatness. I don’t bother with Audyssey anymore.
post #67 of 117 Old 04-29-2020, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I would recommend Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and The Lion King.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #68 of 117 Old 04-29-2020, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Something a little more subtle that really moved me was Bohemian Rhapsody. A very nuanced, inventive use of sound IMHO.
There's a lot of love for Blade Runner 2049 on here and I can't dispute that, but the "original" Blade Runner soundtrack has been a favorite of mine for many years and the new 4k Atmos mix is the best it has ever sounded. I just finished a viewing tonight, and I can't seem to get it out of my head.
bobbyhollywood and Thebarnman like this.

Gear Front Stage: Polk LSiM 707s Ctr: LSiM 706c
Srd: LSiM 703s Ht: 700-LS Rears: Cheap Infinity book shelves
Amps: Marantz SR6014 and MM7055
Sony Ubp-X800M2, Xbox, Sony 75" X900F
post #69 of 117 Old 04-29-2020, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
[quote=humbland;59570298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevEB View Post

DEVS?
DEVS is a series on Hulu by Alex Garland.
The soundtrack is interesting and similar to the movie Annihilation.
post #70 of 117 Old 04-30-2020, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Curious if Audyssey calibration generates Atmos speaker levels that are too low. It does that for my subwoofer levels.
It did for me, increased my levels ~1.5db-2.5db for my Atmos speakers, depending on the media. Some folks I've been told even goes as high as 3.0db. YMMV of course, find what sounds good to you.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
PlanetAVS likes this.

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #71 of 117 Old 04-30-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 441
[quote=humbland;59570298]
Quote:

DEVS?
Ask TrevEB - he's the one who left out the end marker after the first sentence he quoted from me. His post is here.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.
post #72 of 117 Old 04-30-2020, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Automatic room correction systems, of whichever brand, use microphones that are pointed at the ceiling.
This seems like over simplification on my part but, it the problem is that the microphone is facing UP, then would facing it toward the screen resolve the problem?

I’ve used a tripod placed between where my ears would be while sitting in our chairs. Not the cardboard thing included with the multi-thousand dollar Denon. 🙄
Results have always left me dubious. I’ll be giving the db meter another go.
. . .
If the mike is a "cardiod" design - which has a sensitivity pattern that looks like a Valentine's Day heart rotated around its vertical axis (with the mike at the indentation) - pointing it at the screen might work. but if it has an omnidirectional (spherical) pickup pattern it won't matter which way you point it, since our ears are forward-facing cardiod in pickup - due to the soft fleshy "ear trumpets" called pinnae that hold up our eyeglasses - which impose a high frequency rolloff on sounds from the rear as well.

That's why I use the automation to tonally-match my speakers (which come from different manufacturers) and principally to time-delay the nearer speakers for a coherent image, but I use my own senses to level-match them.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.

Last edited by Philnick; 05-03-2020 at 10:35 AM.
post #73 of 117 Old 04-30-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
6 Underground is a Michael Bay Netflix film with Ryan Reynolds. Great sound throughout and the car chase at the start makes full use of the overheads and surrounds. Don't take the movie too seriously or overthink the storyline and you should have a lot of fun.
galonzo and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.
post #74 of 117 Old 04-30-2020, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 4544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post
6 Underground is a Michael Bay Netflix film with Ryan Reynolds. Great sound throughout and the car chase at the start makes full use of the overheads and surrounds. Don't take the movie too seriously or overthink the storyline and you should have a lot of fun.
That's the rule-of-thumb for most.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #75 of 117 Old 05-01-2020, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosellim View Post
I enjoy Dolby Atmos, but to me it seems that the movie makers tend to mix the sound with artificially exaggerated sub bass in order to wow the viewers.
I bought a Pioneer Atmos receiver, added two ceiling speakers to my surround system to make it 5.2.1 and used the receiver’s auto calibrate function. The results were a noticeable improvement in sound quality for almost all program content. Very happy with how that worked especially since my living room is quite sonically challenged. If I leave all the sound settings to default and plot the frequency response with a sound meter and white noise source, the plot from 50hz to 15kHz looks like a very scary roller coaster. The auto calibrate did a nice job on improving that with no further tinkering.
My usual audio and visual content sounded great, but when I played the Blade Runner 2049 4K disc, I had to actually go over to my subwoofer and turn the gain knob down about 10dB. The bass was just obnoxiously strong even in scenes with no explosions, gunshots etc.
Kudos to Dolby, and I’m very happy with the technology, but my experience is that some movie producers are abusing their powers.
LFE is quite popular among home theater enthusiasts and sound designers know this. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them do mix their movies hot in the LFE just to generate buzz for their home video releases.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #76 of 117 Old 05-01-2020, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Yeah my system is -20 max whatever that really is, I'm sure not all systems are the same at that volume level on the AVR. Even -20 you're damaging your hearing and any higher is nuts I don't know how people can stand it.
at -20db, the average SPL should hover somewhere between 60 and 70db. 65db is the SPL of the average conversation. The peaks will be around 85db which is loud, but they aren't sustained so damage shouldn't be much of a threat at that level.

Quote:
I've been playing with the dynamic EQ and voume since I got the unit but it's really hard to test as it definitely changes the overall volume like I have to lower the volume after enabling it so it makes it hard to tell what it's really doing. With a default offset I have to drop it like 10-15db.
well the entire goal of Dynamic EQ is to raise the volume of the surrounds (and now also Atmos speakers) so that lower volume effects can still be heard within the sound field. I would recommend to set it at +5db in the offset, that seems to boost them a little without going overboard. I had mine set at +10 and it was making the surround content much louder than the front soundstage. When I set it back down to +5 it sounded a lot more balanced, however there were still moments when it boosted the surrounds a bit too much. If your surrounds are a lot closer to you than your front soundstage, +0 or +5 offset is where you want to be.

Quote:
The bigger issue is movies randomly mess with you. Big name studios with Atmos or whatever they'll still just have random scenes that are just super loud compared to everything else and you're constantly monkeying with the volume.
Yep. That's the dynamic range of the soundtrack. Its supposed to be a good thing....its more realistic in that whispers are quiet, conversations are normal volume and explosions are loud. In real life, explosions are VERY loud....I have hearing damage from the military, walking outside without hearing protection when they were firing off the big guns on a ship....BOOM...it literally stunned me, I had to sit down until my head cleared and my hearing returned. The dynamic range in a movie soundtrack is trying to convey this difference, only without the hearing damage. Remember that movie soundtracks have +20db peaks and if your system is calibrated, Reference will be 85db, so volume of -20 (60 absolute) will be 65db (conversation level) with peaks of up to 85db (which is the average level at reference +0)

If you are having trouble hearing the volume of the speakers at -30db, then my suggestion is to lower the ambient noise floor of your house or apartment. If you have fans going and the A/C running and the exhaust over your stove running and the bathroom fans running and the washing machine or dryer going all at the same time, your ambient noise floor is going to be above 40db. Any sounds below this point is going to get lost, and sounds within 10db to 15db probably won't sound very clear as the white noise from all the running equipment partially drowns them out. If you go through your place and turn off absolutely everything that makes noise, you will be shocked at how quiet it sounds and how much clearer your normal listening volume will now sound. Most people just turn the volume up and power through the ambient noise, and that does work, but if you don't want to turn it up....make your place quieter and that will help you immensely.
Robbie Racer and HalAC like this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #77 of 117 Old 05-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdztudio View Post
bad boys for life isn’t Atmos mix, it’s DTS-X
I just watched it last night, via iTunes. The listing mentions ATMOS and Dolby Vision. Sure enough, when the movie started, Dolby Vision appeared briefly on my TV screen and Dolby Atmos scrolled across my sound bar screen.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #78 of 117 Old 05-03-2020, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
2 others to add to movies mentioned are brightburn and A Quiet Place -
of note if not mistaken Ghost Protocol is not Atmos
+1
By coincidence, I watched A Quiet Place yesterday, and Brightburn last week. Both have moments when the rear and or overheads are really utilized and make you jump! That's when the Atmos is really fun. Many Atmos tracks don't seem to add much beyond the 7.1 Lossless mixes.
GPBURNS likes this.
post #79 of 117 Old 05-03-2020, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
I just watched it last night, via iTunes. The listing mentions ATMOS and Dolby Vision. Sure enough, when the movie started, Dolby Vision appeared briefly on my TV screen and Dolby Atmos scrolled across my sound bar screen.
That is what is confusing and frustrating. The 4K Disc release got the "Imax Enhanced" treatment which is just HDR10 and DTS:X. Digital code on VUDU got me Dolby Vision and Atmos, albeit compressed.

7.3.4 Setup---TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, External 2-channel amplifier: Marantz MM7025 (Front Towers), Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Surround Backs: JBL S36 ,Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #80 of 117 Old 05-03-2020, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Chmiel View Post
That is what is confusing and frustrating. The 4K Disc release got the "Imax Enhanced" treatment which is just HDR10 and DTS:X. Digital code on VUDU got me Dolby Vision and Atmos, albeit compressed.

it wasnt that great if a movie anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/SR9040 surround left/right
Rythmik FVX15
post #81 of 117 Old 05-03-2020, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
50 posts and no one has mentioned Gravity (Diamond Edition)?!?! Really?!?! LOL
That Damn movie is so expensive if you can even find it. lol I would love to get my hands on one.
Joshua Chmiel likes this.
post #82 of 117 Old 05-03-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
We need a list of DTSX movies to go along with the Dolby Atmos list
post #83 of 117 Old 05-03-2020, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by omardd98 View Post
That Damn movie is so expensive if you can even find it. lol I would love to get my hands on one.
It was a limited edition release and everyone wants it due to the incredible Atmos track.
Joshua Chmiel likes this.
post #84 of 117 Old 05-03-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post
I would love to have this on 4k UHD so I can really enjoy the sound mix of this film and not have it via Streaming only.
post #85 of 117 Old 05-03-2020, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by omardd98 View Post
We need a list of DTSX movies to go along with the Dolby Atmos list
Here you go, just input "DTS:X" in the Audio field and select on the BluRay 4K filter to get updated results in the future. You can do the same for ATMOS.

151 results for UHD with DTS:X

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/searc...&action=search
post #86 of 117 Old 05-04-2020, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Never let ANY built in calibration determine your speaker levels or distances. They will always be wrong, if even just a little.
Use a tape measure to your listening position and an SPL meter. Also turn off ALL of Audyssey's Volume levelers and limiters.
Maximum7 - I see you are in Vancouver, WA too?

Processor: Anthem AVM 60, BluRay: Oppo 105D, 4K: Oppo 203, Amps: Rotel RMB 1095 & Rotel RMB 1555, Mains: B&W 803 D3, B&W Center: B&W HTM2 D3, Atmos: (4) Golden Ear Invisa HTR 7000's, Surrounds: DefTech Studio 350's, Subs: (2) PowerSound Audio S1500, Projector: JVC DLA X550RB, Screen: Stewart Filmscreen Deluxe Screenwall 2:35:1 screen, Media/Gaming: Apple TV 4K, Roku4 Ultra, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro. Remote: Control4 EA1
post #87 of 117 Old 05-04-2020, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
It was a limited edition release and everyone wants it due to the incredible Atmos track.
It's definitely an Atmos reference track. I play that disc first when friends want to hear what it sounds like.
post #88 of 117 Old 05-04-2020, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But don't point your SPL meter at the speakers or you'll have the same problem I described. Assuming that it has a cardiod pickup pattern, point it at the screen, so it can mimic the cardiod pickup pattern of our ears.

If it has an omnidirectional (spherical) pickup pattern, don't trust it except to get you into the ballpark - trust your ears for the final setting of equal levels from all speakers instead.

Phil
post #89 of 117 Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Interesting. I have always pointed mine up when calibrating.
https://www.audioholics.com/frequent...match-speakers
post #90 of 117 Old 05-04-2020, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. I have always pointed mine up when calibrating.
https://www.audioholics.com/frequent...match-speakers
Yep, and while I consider Audioholics to be one of the better sites for advice, they're wrong about this, along with the rest of the industry.

Think about it. Our ears attenuate sounds from the rear, which is why setting the level of those speakers with a meter that ignores that fact leaves us wondering whether those speakers are even on.

Worse, setting the level of ceiling speakers with a meter pointing at them, overstating their volume even more, leaves us complaining that Atmos is wimpy and oversold.

That's why I say that short of using a classic "binaural head" microphone to calibrate (assuming it has pinnae), our own senses are the best way to set levels, by listening to the channels one at a time while facing the screen.
Thebarnman and Joshua Chmiel like this.

Phil

Last edited by Philnick; 05-04-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
dolby atmos , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page