10 Best Sounding Dolby Atmos Movies on UHD Blu-ray - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #91 of 109 Old 05-04-2020, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'll have to give pointing it at the screen a try.

Your comments remind me of a installer I read about. He would have his listener sit in position while he would go in front and talk, and where his voice sounded the best to the listener, that's where he'd put the speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 05-05-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
. . .

Your comments remind me of a installer I read about. He would have his listener sit in position while he would go in front and talk, and where his voice sounded the best to the listener, that's where he'd put the speaker.
The midrange version of the "bass crawl."

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Sources: Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.

Last edited by Philnick; 05-05-2020 at 12:41 PM.
post #93 of 109 Old 05-07-2020, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I just watched Transformers The last knight in 4k is it just me or was the Dolby Atmos Mix not one of the best heard? My head was moving left and right when certain sounds came flying out of the surround speakers. The bass was also on point and I don't even have good subs (well not yet). So far it has to be my best sounding Dolby Atmos mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 109 Old 05-07-2020, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 88
My top 10 for Atmos in no particular order would be:
10. Mad Max
9. Fury
8. Godzilla King of monsters
7. A quiet Place
6. Gravity
5. Midway
4. Ready Player One
3. Hacksaw Ridge
2. Transformers 4&5
1. John Wick
Theres more out there, but these r top notch!

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC13 Ultra & PC12 Plus;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4K;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
post #95 of 109 Old 05-13-2020, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
I did the Audyssey calibration on the Denon X6500H but wonder if I got the wrong speakers. No way I’m going to replace them after cutting holes in the ceiling. I need an A/B switch for the ceiling, maybe then I could tell. Maybe my room is too small. I also don’t have a wall on the left side.
I hear ya. I too had some Atmos speakers installed and even though I can tell when they are on (sometimes) many times I'm lost as to what they are doing as far as the above sound goes. I like it best when something happens above rather than constantly being submersed in all the audio at once for long periods of time. I really don't hear the separation from the front and back Atmos speakers and I certainly (at least not yet) heard anything that went from above down, or down up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1508.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	2725298  

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #96 of 109 Old 05-13-2020, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
Can't believe ready player one wasn't on the list... That race scene.
I've heard that race scene from a Atmos demo disc just after the Atmos speakers were installed. I guess it was ok, most of the time I can't tell what's above.

When I play Blade Runner, I can hear from above when there's a voice on the PA system, and that floating ship with the billboard when it announces it's commercial; it's loud and above.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #97 of 109 Old 05-13-2020, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
Well that's it I'm always going to be Atmos enabled with my 7.5 foot celings.

5. Suspiria 1973 just is astoundingly natural Atmos sound with just oodles of ambience and probably the best in this department by a wide margin. Oh and the HDR is jaw dropping.
Suspiria is 1977.
meles likes this.

post #98 of 109 Old 05-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
Quote:
I did the Audyssey calibration on the Denon X6500H but wonder if I got the wrong speakers. No way I’️m going to replace them after cutting holes in the ceiling. I need an A/B switch for the ceiling, maybe then I could tell. Maybe my room is too small. I also don’️t have a wall on the left side.
I hear ya. I too had some Atmos speakers installed and even though I can tell when they are on (sometimes) many times I'm lost as to what they are doing as far as the above sound goes. I like it best when something happens above rather than constantly being submersed in all the audio at once for long periods of time. I really don't hear the separation from the front and back Atmos speakers and I certainly (at least not yet) heard anything that went from above down, or down up.
But then you hear some talk about how amazing the effect is but I struggle to hear anything most of the time. Maybe something more than the rear center channel that I don't think I've ever noticed anything come out of though when I stand next to it I hear sounds. Then there are the reviews that say the up firing that bounce off the ceiling are not as good let alone an Atmos soundbar, I can't imagine how bad they are when I barely notice the 4 expensive speakers I mounted into the ceiling. I truly think the biggest issue is that the majority of shows that have an Atmos track never make use of the ceiling speakersor at best it's a slightly fuller sound that's hard to notice. Like how most every show is 5.1 surround and 90% of the sounds come out of the front center and maybe another 9% from the left and right.
post #99 of 109 Old 05-16-2020, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But then you hear some talk about how amazing the effect is but I struggle to hear anything most of the time. Maybe something more than the rear center channel that I don't think I've ever noticed anything come out of though when I stand next to it I hear sounds. Then there are the reviews that say the up firing that bounce off the ceiling are not as good let alone an Atmos soundbar, I can't imagine how bad they are when I barely notice the 4 expensive speakers I mounted into the ceiling. I truly think the biggest issue is that the majority of shows that have an Atmos track never make use of the ceiling speakersor at best it's a slightly fuller sound that's hard to notice. Like how most every show is 5.1 surround and 90% of the sounds come out of the front center and maybe another 9% from the left and right.
The surrounds in my setup are incredible. Last year I had new rear speakers installed that were much better in quality and placement than what I had before. With the Atmos, over the years I might have them placed somewhere else (moved just a little bit here and there) or get a different professional opinion by having someone come over who is familiar with certain tracks that contain Atmos audio to see if they hear the same or something different than what they are used to hearing with their assumingly very proper setup.

post #100 of 109 Old 05-17-2020, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdztudio View Post
bad boys for life isn’t Atmos mix, it’s DTS-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
I just watched it last night, via iTunes. The listing mentions ATMOS and Dolby Vision. Sure enough, when the movie started, Dolby Vision appeared briefly on my TV screen and Dolby Atmos scrolled across my sound bar screen.
Doesn't matter whether Dolby TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X is used on the disk, the streaming services use DD+ Atmos for either of them. I doubt that we'll see lossless audio - even without overhead channels - over streaming anytime soon, since DD+ sounds pretty good - and takes a lot less bandwidth.
galonzo and PlasmaHiDef like this.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Sources: Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.
post #101 of 109 Old 05-17-2020, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But I want Dolby TrueHD Atmos from a streaming service AND I WANT IT NOW!
Robbie Racer likes this.

post #102 of 109 Old 05-22-2020, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I absolutely agree with you!
post #103 of 109 Old 05-22-2020, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 3238
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinah-moe-humm View Post
I absolutely agree with you!
Doubt we'll see that until 5G comes
post #104 of 109 Old 05-22-2020, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Doubt we'll see that until 5G comes
Well I guess 5G is fine if your talking about smart phones. What about cable?

post #105 of 109 Old 05-22-2020, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 3238
Quote:
Well I guess 5G is fine if your talking about smart phones. What about cable?
5G will also provide home internet
post #106 of 109 Old 05-22-2020, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
5G will also provide home internet

Interesting, so maybe that's when I'll get rid of DirecTV. In the meantime I still enjoy Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray the most. And personally, I still like to collect the movies I buy.

post #107 of 109 Old 05-26-2020, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Side note: ceiling bounce speakers are a gimmick.

I have upfiring speakers because I cannot mount speakers on my ceiling. There is barely any overhead info in my setup; I describe it as "waist level Atmos" in that the sound is only waist level high. And yes, I have turned up the levels higher than what Audyssey XT32 returned.

Dolby claiming that sounds bounces off the ceiling down to the MLP is laughable. That's like saying mounting a center channel behind the MLP pointing towards a sidewall will bounce dialogue to the MLP.

I have never heard a bounce theater sound as good as a ceiling theater. One friend cut holes in his ceiling and Atmos in his theater blows mine away. Another friend mounted Bose cubes to his ceiling and Atmos in his theater blows mine away. Both do not have equipment much better than mine, it's their setup and positioning that make the difference.

So if possible, mount speaker in or on your ceiling. Do not expect equivalent results if you opt for speakers pointing up.

As for great Atmos movies that haven't been listed, try Seven Worlds One Planet, Pacific Rim, and the Shallows.
Hi,
I have Dolby Atmos enabled speakers, which are two in one front speakers; 1) front right or left and an 2) upfiring speaker. I felt the same way as you until I saw that the upfiring speakers should be set to 200HZ. Otherwise the sound won"t bounce off of the ceiling well. Hope this helps.
Robbie Racer likes this.

Kim
post #108 of 109 Old 05-26-2020, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykjones View Post
Maximum7 - I see you are in Vancouver, WA too?
I would say a good laser pointer is very helpful too. And when measuring the distance of atmos enabled or upfiring atmos speakers don't forget to measure the distance from the speaker to the ceiling, and then the ceiling to the listening position. Otherwise the distance isn't correct.

Kim
post #109 of 109 Old 05-26-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi,
I have Dolby Atmos enabled speakers, which are two in one front speakers; 1) front right or left and an 2) upfiring speaker. I felt the same way as you until I saw that the upfiring speakers should be set to 200HZ. Otherwise the sound won"t bounce off of the ceiling well. Hope this helps.
I don't have the option to individually change just the Atmos modules, but having everything at 100Hz is perfect for my setup and it gives me good LFE chest slam and really good Atmos reflection to the point where it's like a 3D soundfield bubble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
dolby atmos , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page