Best Audiophile Power Cables - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes
Closed Thread

post #31 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
People can spend all they want, its just when they recommend others waste money that I have any issues.

As for power cables: If it ain't getting hot.......
And here I thought I was striking the right balance between sarcasm and stating some not so flattering facts regarding the "luxury" option. But if people take it seriously that just shows how marketing works, I suppose. I mean come on now... "If you are the sort who can afford to spend big bucks on power cables, Audioquest can accommodate" you get "a brochure full of technical mumbo-jumbo you can memorize to impress your friends"

I'll practice my comedy, OK?
chirpie and mik2h like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Mylar shielding... to lock in all that noise and make sure it gets delivered to your equipment.
post #33 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post
IF you asked me... they deliberately post stuff like this.... so they can catagorize all more expensive stuff as a waste of money,,,,,,,,,,, so they can more easily sell, the truckloads of cheap stuff.......... that really are like throwing money into a land fill. One thing for sure...... as a purchaser is it highly unlikely you will misplace a 300.00 power cord.... but everything else...... people will waste hours upon hours looking for it.
Monoprice FTW. But I would never make fun of their power cables by slapping an "audiophile" tag on them.
Daniel Chaves likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Not again. So the only thing I buy into is if you want to dress up your system and the cables are visible then sure get nice cables, it as others have said, with miles of plain old copper between where the power is generated and your gear, if the cable improves your shear results then the factory cable is woefully undersized (not likely). At best even is the power transformer is outside your home there is likely 100 or more feet of other copper and unless your gear plugs right into your electrical panel there is 14 or 12 gauge plain old copper and then the outlet contacts as well as the breaker contacts all in the path.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #35 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 184
The best power cords are the ones that come in the box with your gear period .
chirpie, BiggAW, Peja and 3 others like this.

HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, , Panasonic UB820. Denon X6500. Def Tech X9080 series . BR: OnkyoTX696 , LG OLED 65 8 series , Def tech 9020 5.2 .
post #36 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Not again. So the only thing I buy into is if you want to dress up your system and the cables are visible then sure get nice cables, it as others have said, with miles of plain old copper between where the power is generated and your gear, if the cable improves your shear results then the factory cable is woefully undersized (not likely). At best even is the power transformer is outside your home there is likely 100 or more feet of other copper and unless your gear plugs right into your electrical panel there is 14 or 12 gauge plain old copper and then the outlet contacts as well as the breaker contacts all in the path.
Well there was that one guy that basically had his own sub power station in front of his house dedicated to his Sound System so maybe that makes a difference lol but yes this is all about visual appeal than it is practicality...

I mean you can spend a fraction of the money to make something perform as good or better than a Ferrari but it sure wont look as good as a Ferrari, in other words some people spend the money for the name behind the brand and the looks and frankly to say Im better than you because I can easily waste this kind of money like its nothing lol, if it happens to performs better well thats just a plus but typically isnt always the factor.

And to be fair there was a lot of sarcasm in that article so I guess it wasnt picked up as easily as it was for others.

But ultimately live and let live.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Pyle 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s + miniDSP 2x4HD (for Subs) Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #37 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 664
OMG, those Amazon reviews...

"Yes, it will work with those Marantzs. It is an amazing upgrade. If your setup has already been active for some time, and you know the sound well; changing out one power cord at a time in the chain will reveal the difference to you right away. With some time it gets more apparent. Enjoy!"

I'm not even an engineer and I want to build a cinderblock wall just to bash my head against it.
post #38 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
^^ And why it hurts your credibility.

(apparently you can't edit posts here)
At first I was about to post "Of course you can edit your post" but then I realized the edit button is gone. What the what?
imagic likes this.
post #39 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 7128
So, My $1600 subwoofer is gonna come with a cable that is gonna limit it's performance?. is my Avr is gonna come with a cable that limits it's performance?. common sense says that whatever cable comes with the device must be sufficient for it to perform to it's specifications.

post #40 of 51 Old 06-29-2020, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Exclamation Waste of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Forum News & Reviews View Post
Audiophiles are prone to doing whatever it takes to get as pristine sound as they can, and even something as mundane and detached from the signal chain as a power cable factors into the equation.
OK, I normally keep my mouth shut, but this is the stupidest thing I have ever read here.
I had a friend who spent $500 on a dang power cable for his tube amp. I told his what Im telling you all, this is STUPID.

WHAT are you plugging those expensive cords into? A frigging 30 cent outlet from Home Depot, with wires inside walls that have been chewed on by mice over the years, and running all over the house, before ending up inside a power box that EVERY OTHER WIRE in the house is connected to and shielded by.

ASSUMING you have a dedicated power box for you audiophile gear, AND you run those $500 cables directly from the power box in shielded form to the outlet, and buy gold outlets, you are just wasting your damn money.

N5GGG
post #41 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
I like the PS Audio DRAGON myself. Just wait until she goes to sleep.

is there some special copper that has been found that is only available from one source on the planet? That is almost the same as buying 1 ton of raw copper.
post #42 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I do not know why Audioquest gets unwarranted hate on this message board. Audioquest has multiple tiers of products, their 'super high end' products may surely be snake oil but generalizing and saying Audioquest is snake oil is wrong. Buy any <$100 AQ product, they all have great build quality. I got a <50 bucks HDMI cable from AQ and the better build quality was immediately apparent over the monoprice 'premium certified' hdmi cable. AQ's suregrip banana plugs are the best plugs i have used after trying various other brands. I think people overreact when they hear the name Audioquest, if you want to stick to your budget cables and connectors, nobody is stopping you.

peralatan saya
marten, rogue audio (hifi) bowers and wilkins, belles, onkyo, jl audio, sony, auralex, furutech (ht)
post #43 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
I do not know why Audioquest gets unwarranted hate on this message board. Audioquest has multiple tiers of products, their 'super high end' products may surely be snake oil but generalizing and saying Audioquest is snake oil is wrong. Buy any <$100 AQ product, they all have great build quality. I got a <50 bucks HDMI cable from AQ and the better build quality was immediately apparent over the monoprice 'premium certified' hdmi cable. AQ's suregrip banana plugs are the best plugs i have used after trying various other brands. I think people overreact when they hear the name Audioquest, if you want to stick to your budget cables and connectors, nobody is stopping you.
Because they got caught in their own lies, because they prey on people with similar claims to diet pills. One can argue that if a person has $500 to spend on 6ftp of cable then he probably deserves it, but it's not always the case. If they advertised as "pretty cable" then I'm sure no one would care.

What was apparent in the HDMI cables other than the premium build?
post #44 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post
OK, I normally keep my mouth shut, but this is the stupidest thing I have ever read here.
I had a friend who spent $500 on a dang power cable for his tube amp. I told his what Im telling you all, this is STUPID.

WHAT are you plugging those expensive cords into? A frigging 30 cent outlet from Home Depot, with wires inside walls that have been chewed on by mice over the years, and running all over the house, before ending up inside a power box that EVERY OTHER WIRE in the house is connected to and shielded by.

ASSUMING you have a dedicated power box for you audiophile gear, AND you run those $500 cables directly from the power box in shielded form to the outlet, and buy gold outlets, you are just wasting your damn money.
It's a description of a mindset that will spend money on tweaks that do nothing. This could be called the "audiophile mindset" and it is notoriously uncritical. The comment itself is not meant to be stupid, but rather to describe a frame of mind that critical thinkers would likely find lacking in intellectual rigor.
mik2h likes this.
post #45 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
Because they got caught in their own lies, because they prey on people with similar claims to diet pills. One can argue that if a person has $500 to spend on 6ftp of cable then he probably deserves it, but it's not always the case. If they advertised as "pretty cable" then I'm sure no one would care.

What was apparent in the HDMI cables other than the premium build?
In retrospect, I now realize that Audioquest is the target of particularly strong criticism because of the well documented fact the company made false claims about HDMI benefitting from cable upgrades. That's not something I'd expect AVS Forum members to take sitting down.

Fully understand where that sentiment is coming from.
mik2h likes this.
post #46 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 143
To be fair in the original post they did state that the power cord that came with your component is good enough but if you need something longer or that looks better here are some affordable options. Do people not even read posts anymore or is reading comprehension down that much these days? Also the sarcasm was pretty clear to me as well but maybe that's just me.
Daniel Chaves and mik2h like this.

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
PSN: PikturePerfekt07
post #47 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Forum News & Reviews View Post
Some people amused, others triggered. That's power cords! World's not going to end if someone buys the big, thick, snake-skin patterned first choice without expectation of sonic improvement, or opts to go hospital grade for a 10-foot cable.

If they buy Audioquest, that's on them and is akin to buying expensive sunglasses just for the brand.
This is a fair point, although fashion companies are typically a bit more honest about the benefits of their offerings whereas Audioquest is one of the scummiest.
At least audioquest’ fancy audio cables will hold their value much better than any sunglasses

See Profile
post #48 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
To be fair in the original post they did state that the power cord that came with your component is good enough but if you need something longer or that looks better here are some affordable options. Do people not even read posts anymore or is reading comprehension down that much these days? Also the sarcasm was pretty clear to me as well but maybe that's just me.
Doesn't matter what the post says. Both AVS and these shady companies are making money off this thread.
arsenalgunner likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #49 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 658 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4314 Post(s)
Liked: 4142
It's obvious there are different thoughts on this, but I'll add my vote to the pool that says this type of post is borderline irresponsible, and not worth any possible financial income it brings to AVSForum -- even though the original post is clearly done in half jest. Cables 1, 2, and 3 are not outrageously priced, but cable 4 is -- and I know from visiting trade shows that's only the beginning.

This type of thing is not harmless. There is no good that will come from the dust this type of post creates. it just breeds more arguments and consumer ignorance into the future. We have thousands of posts on this forum with people claiming they can hear improvements that are fully placebo based. It'd be nice to have fewer.

The role of this AV Science forum/community should be to clear the air of placebo improvements and steer towards legitimate, measurable, audible improvements. If we want to talk about when you might actually need a larger gauge power cable due to (distance/voltage drop/wire resistance, metals used/insulation/build quality, or power draw requirements) then lets have the conversation.
arsenalgunner likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
post #50 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Some folks here need to stay away from too much Covid-19 news and recognize site like this is for-profit, viva capitalism! Is entertainment folks.
mik2h likes this.
post #51 of 51 Old 06-30-2020, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's obvious there are different thoughts on this, but I'll add my vote to the pool that says this type of post is borderline irresponsible, and not worth any possible financial income it brings to AVSForum -- even though the original post is clearly done in half jest. Cables 1, 2, and 3 are not outrageously priced, but cable 4 is -- and I know from visiting trade shows that's only the beginning.

This type of thing is not harmless. There is no good that will come from the dust this type of post creates. it just breeds more arguments and consumer ignorance into the future. We have thousands of posts on this forum with people claiming they can hear improvements that are fully placebo based. It'd be nice to have fewer.

The role of this AV Science forum/community should be to clear the air of placebo improvements and steer towards legitimate, measurable, audible improvements. If we want to talk about when you might actually need a larger gauge power cable due to (distance/voltage drop/wire resistance, metals used/insulation/build quality, or power draw requirements) then lets have the conversation.
Sure seems like the community showed up and made its voice heard. Also seems like "the system" i.e. people posting their opinion as a supplement to the OP, is working the way it's supposed to. Plenty of good points made, you'd figure someone reading this thread could figure out the overall message.

For those who read all this and still think buying a $300 power cord is a good idea, or a $3000 one, it's a consumer jungle out there, best of luck to them because there's a lot more ways to lose your money than audio cables. Ever been to Vegas? This post is a drop in the ocean of cable arguments, it won't change anything, especially not anyone's mind on the topic. Hope the folks who got triggered can recover quickly from the shock to the system.

Last edited by AVS Forum News & Reviews; 06-30-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread AVS Forum® Articles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page