Sometimes home theater is more than just electronics. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By gimpygod
  • 1 Post By Danonano
  • 1 Post By usc1995

post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sometimes home theater is more than just electronics.

With Father’s Day almost here I wanna ask everyone if they have an “electronics and Dad” story and share a bit of my own.

Here is our background as seen on the Today Show so I don’t assault everyone with a wall O’ text and because I type with a stick in my mouth so the fewer words the better.

Nice right? Since I can’t physically move, we were not able to do typical father and son stuff like sports or working on cars but Dad was a genius at coming up with fun stuff we could do together. One day Pops came home with a stack of home theater magazines and said we needed to do serious research we absolutely HAD to replace our aging big screen TV... it was practically an emergency only the two of us could overcome! LoL After supplementing our reading the absolute treasure trove of information found here in AVSForums we settled on component video connections and AC3 audio. Thus began a tradition of upgrading different devices every 4-5 years, we would study and debate upcoming technology, ever discussion filled with speculating about how awesome this or that new electronic innovation would be. We laughed and conspired about how to convince Mom that a 73” rear projection CRT wouldn’t be obtrusive in the living room! Wonderful times I will cherish forever. Love and miss ya Pops! Hopefully you liked this post and will share your story also.
Cam1977, Nillaz and srw1000 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ya I'm in the midst of planning a system with my Dad for his house. I live out of state now, so the brainstorming part isn't as easy, but it's been fun to see it come together slowly.
gimpygod likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 246
That is a great story! Sounds like your dad is a great guy demonstrating great love. I can definitely say that I got my love for music and home theater from my dad. Since he was in the military we used to go to the PX and drool over all the cool hifi equipment they would get in plot our purchases together. My dad spent big bucks on a Soundcraftsmen pre-amp and amplifier and about $1000 on our first CD player. I remember not understanding why my dad insisted on routing the audio from our VHS player through the stereo as the TV speaker was fine, right? My mom spent more time yelling at my dad to “turn it down!” than she ever had to yell at my brother and myself. Now I sit here in my 7.2.4 theater thinking about how excited he always was and thinking that I am just like him. Having a dad that you can love and share a cool hobby with is a real blessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gimpygod likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-18-2019, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
Ya I'm in the midst of planning a system with my Dad for his house. I live out of state now, so the brainstorming part isn't as easy, but it's been fun to see it come together slowly.
Hopefully the setup ya create will cause your Dad’s peeps to whistle in admiration and be just a pinch jealous! Thank you for responding.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2019, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
That is a great story! Sounds like your dad is a great guy demonstrating great love. I can definitely say that I got my love for music and home theater from my dad. Since he was in the military we used to go to the PX and drool over all the cool hifi equipment they would get in plot our purchases together. My dad spent big bucks on a Soundcraftsmen pre-amp and amplifier and about $1000 on our first CD player. I remember not understanding why my dad insisted on routing the audio from our VHS player through the stereo as the TV speaker was fine, right? My mom spent more time yelling at my dad to “turn it down!” than she ever had to yell at my brother and myself. Now I sit here in my 7.2.4 theater thinking about how excited he always was and thinking that I am just like him. Having a dad that you can love and share a cool hobby with is a real blessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We have stuff in common! Like y Dad and I went “shopping” once a year at a place called Ultimate Soundtrack. The sales person would get us a soda and we would spend the afternoon breathing in the heavenly aroma of high end electronics pretending we could afford B&W speakers that looked alien 👽 $50k each. Good times!(I might be wrong on the price)
post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpygod View Post
We have stuff in common! Like y Dad and I went “shopping” once a year at a place called Ultimate Soundtrack. The sales person would get us a soda and we would spend the afternoon breathing in the heavenly aroma of high end electronics pretending we could afford B&W speakers that looked alien 👽 $50k each. Good times!(I might be wrong on the price)
Anything past $5k might as well be $50k as I won't be buying them. The concept of diminishing returns in audio is brutal as the amount you need to spend to eke out just a little bit better performance is better off in an investment account earning money for you then looking pretty in your listening room. It is fun to sit, listen and dream though while sharing a good time with your old man.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2019, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpygod View Post
With Father’s Day almost here I wanna ask everyone if they have an “electronics and Dad” story and share a bit of my own.

Here is our background as seen on the Today Show so I don’t assault everyone with a wall O’ text and because I type with a stick in my mouth so the fewer words the better.

https://youtu.be/RlKRrOxHWZ8

I just realized that the video is about you and your Dad. That's a tear jerker man, and congrats on the chair.

I still have fun going into high end audio stores to hear the highest of high end audio. I always learn something from it, especially when it's a different technology or speaker type. And it's fun to see how close you can get with lower priced stuff.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-20-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
I just realized that the video is about you and your Dad. That's a tear jerker man, and congrats on the chair.

I still have fun going into high end audio stores to hear the highest of high end audio. I always learn something from it, especially when it's a different technology or speaker type. And it's fun to see how close you can get with lower priced stuff.
Thanks so much! I should have put a “may require tissue” warning at the beginning 😆 . I kinda want the world to see how awesome my Dad was and have him as a hero figure instead of famous people.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-20-2019, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
Anything past $5k might as well be $50k as I won't be buying them. The concept of diminishing returns in audio is brutal as the amount you need to spend to eke out just a little bit better performance is better off in an investment account earning money for you then looking pretty in your listening room. It is fun to sit, listen and dream though while sharing a good time with your old man.
You are sooo right! Kind of a bang for your buck thing. Yes, I know that speaker can reproduce sounds only bats can hear and the bazillion dollar price reflects that but how does that effect me watching Godzilla going ham? We ended up getting a Polk Signature Reference Theater system for $5k total when the stores closed. Still is awesome sounding!
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 365
What a wonderfully inspiring story, and a fantastic tribute to your father.

Thank you for sharing this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community Articles