AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Theater Room Items & Accessories (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-theater-room-items-accessories/)
-   -   11x17 vs 27x40 poster size - Size opinions based on experience? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-theater-room-items-accessories/1254695-11x17-vs-27x40-poster-size-size-opinions-based-experience.html)

MrOldboy 06-06-2010 01:31 AM

I dont have a home theater or anything, I mostly use my bedroom for TV/game stuff. I've been wanting to get some movie posters but I always thought 27x40 was just too big. I can fit maybe 3 or 4 in my room if I squeeze them on the 2 walls that dont have windows. I thought 11x17 was way too small but I put 2 pieces of paper 8.5x11 up on my wall and it doesn't look too small imo.

But for those who own both sizes or others with limited space, are you happy with the 11x17 size?

Also, I had not researched the costs of frames, holy sh*t. I would have expected no more than $15-20 for a 27x40 frame, just some cheap plastic and acrylic would suffice for me. But then again I've never framed anything.

I could buy several 11x17 posters and frame them for the same price.

dododge 06-06-2010 10:03 PM

Another thing you might consider: some posters I've acquired in the past few years appear to be color printouts of digital scans, and the scan resolution isn't always high enough to handle a 27x40 printout without pixelation. At 11x17 you're likely to have fewer problems with image quality.

Unfortunately this varies on a per-poster basis even from the same supplier.

MrOldboy 06-07-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dododge View Post

Another thing you might consider: some posters I've acquired in the past few years appear to be color printouts of digital scans, and the scan resolution isn't always high enough to handle a 27x40 printout without pixelation. At 11x17 you're likely to have fewer problems with image quality.

Unfortunately this varies on a per-poster basis even from the same supplier.

never thought of that, I assumed they'd have the asset to make a 27x40 then just scale it down.

I think I am going with a couple 11x17 posters since its just cheaper and I can get some different movies instead of just one big one.

no1nufan 06-30-2010 03:01 PM

Hey man.

I'm the same way as you. Just wanted posters for my cinema/bedroom. So I picked up two 27x40 of my fav movies, Up in the Air and Wall*e on eBay for $10 each. Look there first. Make sure they are double sided and not wrinkled. If you buy from the right company, they send them in a tube, packed perfectly. You won't be disappointed.

I went up the walmart's craft/photo section, and they had a 27x40 collage frames, with plexi glass for $20. Not bad! I threw away the collage mat, and the poster looks superb. 27x40 is the ideal size. It seems big, but it's lifelike. It's what you see when you go to your cinema. So that's what I recommend.

Here there are. http://twitpic.com/2146ra - http://twitpic.com/21bk7g

ryan06 11-23-2014 08:37 PM

[quote=no1nufan;18847721]Hey man.

I'm the same way as you. Just wanted posters for my cinema/bedroom. So I picked up two 27x40 of my fav movies, Up in the Air and Wall*e on eBay for $10 each. Look there first. Make sure they are double sided and not wrinkled. If you buy from the right company, they send them in a tube, packed perfectly. You won't be disappointed.

I went up the walmart's craft/photo section, and they had a 27x40 collage frames, with plexi glass for $20. Not bad! I threw away the collage mat, and the poster looks superb. 27x40 is the ideal size. It seems big, but it's lifelike. It's what you see when you go to your cinema. So that's what I recommend.

Here there are.

I know I'm 4 years later with this, but... Why do you recommend 2 sided over 1 sided? What is the difference? I seriously do not know. Thanks

jayn_j 11-24-2014 09:10 AM

[quote=ryan06;29289746]
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1nufan (Post 18847721)

I know I'm 4 years later with this, but... Why do you recommend 2 sided over 1 sided? What is the difference? I seriously do not know. Thanks

2 sided is necessary if you are planning to build a lightbox. A 1 sided poster will look washed out when back lit.

The other thing is if you are concerned about originality. The 2 sided posters are generally originals printed for theater display. This is because most theaters display them in light boxes these days. The 1 sided posters are almost always commercial reprints. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but pay a lower price for a reprint. I believe the 2 sided posters tend to have brighter colors and sharper images as well.

morgbug 11-24-2014 10:14 PM

[quote=jayn_j;29300945]
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan06 (Post 29289746)

2 sided is necessary if you are planning to build a lightbox. A 1 sided poster will look washed out when back lit.

The other thing is if you are concerned about originality. The 2 sided posters are generally originals printed for theater display. This is because most theaters display them in light boxes these days. The 1 sided posters are almost always commercial reprints. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but pay a lower price for a reprint. I believe the 2 sided posters tend to have brighter colors and sharper images as well.

One sided versus two depends on the age of the poster though. While it holds true for newer issued posters, it's certainly not true of vintage posters. I own six vintage Star Wars posters and none of them are double sided. I wish I knew when they started going double sided, but I can't answer that at all.

jayn_j 11-25-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgbug (Post 29320425)
One sided versus two depends on the age of the poster though. While it holds true for newer issued posters, it's certainly not true of vintage posters. I own six vintage Star Wars posters and none of them are double sided. I wish I knew when they started going double sided, but I can't answer that at all.

You are correct, of course. I didn't think to mention that because Ryan was discussing modern titles.

Actually there are a few double sided posters going back to the 1950s, especially mylar ones for roadshow engagements. However, the transition to double sided happened over a few years from 1992 until around 1997. After that time almost everything was sent out double sided. The exceptions were wilding posters, which are designed to be pasted up on walls around town and in a few cases, emergency replacements for posters that were recalled. Example of recalled poster is the Batman "Why So Serious?" one that was recalled after heath Ledger's death.

Oh yeah. Video posters continue to go either way, although video posters are now pretty much dead. 1 one sided video poster is not notable, and most collectors don't collect these, so not a lot of info has been reported on the details.

morgbug 11-27-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayn_j (Post 29324666)
You are correct, of course. I didn't think to mention that because Ryan was discussing modern titles.

Actually there are a few double sided posters going back to the 1950s, especially mylar ones for roadshow engagements. However, the transition to double sided happened over a few years from 1992 until around 1997. After that time almost everything was sent out double sided. The exceptions were wilding posters, which are designed to be pasted up on walls around town and in a few cases, emergency replacements for posters that were recalled. Example of recalled poster is the Batman "Why So Serious?" one that was recalled after heath Ledger's death.

Oh yeah. Video posters continue to go either way, although video posters are now pretty much dead. 1 one sided video poster is not notable, and most collectors don't collect these, so not a lot of info has been reported on the details.

Very cool information, thanks for posting it. Your original answer was very logical for Ryan, I was only trying to add some general information about older stuff. I suspect you addressed his issue perfectly.