Popcorn machine recommendations - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 130Likes

post #901 of 920 Old 12-20-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post
I am looking for something easier than making clarified butter, but it appears that it is difficult to get now-a-days for the butter topping?

Thanks!
For clarified butter why not just buy Organic Valley Gee? I've purchased it locally and on Amazon.

As for the topping, I use Lou Ana from Amazon.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 920 Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the GN Popper from Costco. This is my first "real" popcorn maker (I've been using a whirlypop for years). I bought the popcorn, the flavacol, coconut oil and am now looking for the proper butter "topping". I am looking for something easier than making clarified butter, but it appears that it is difficult to get the Super Kist II online. On Amazon they have the Snappy Popcorn Butter Burst Oil that I've been looking at. I also see that Lou Ana Buttery Topping may be available at Smart and Final. What is everyone using now-a-days for the butter topping?

Thanks!
Making clarified butter is stupid easy, just slowly melt a lb. of unsalted butter then pour off the clarified butter and leave the milk solids behind. That's what I do for when I want butter topping, but I usually just only use coconut oil and flavacol and call it a day.
post #903 of 920 Old 12-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I haven't done butter like ever with our popper. With the coconut oil and flavorcal it's perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 920 Old 12-28-2018, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have had a GN for 3 years now. The 8oz size with stand. Buy the premade packets, add another scoop of coconut oil, popcorn is fire.
post #905 of 920 Old 12-29-2018, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
We bought the Paragon 8oz popper 3 years ago during an Amazon Lightning deal for about $365. Super happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's built like a tank, has lifetime warranty, has a warming element under the bottom and it super easy to clean the entire thing is made of stainless steel sheet metal that wipes down with a paper towel and water. The kettle is thick with non-stick coating. We sometimes will use glass cleaner on the glass sides and plexiglass doors when we don't plan to use it immediately.

The unit dissembles with ease to clean. The build quality, built-in warming rack and lifetime warranty are what had me pick this over a Great Northern or other "China" brand.

I had decided that for this appliance, I would pay a premium, wanted USA built and a good warranty. The left me with Paragon or Gold Medal as choices. The lifetime warranty and lightning deal sealed it for us over a Gold Medal model.

The trick as most have said is to use good quality ingredients. We've bought coconut oil and seeds in bulk at Detroit Popcorn but recently tried a case of Gold Medal from Samsclub.com to great results.

You need to heat up the kettle, then add the oil. When the oil is to the point of smoking, then add the kernels. They'll pop in no time, crispy and with flavor. Best part is leftovers can be re-heated for several days after being popped and still retain their crispiness.

If you have a Sam's Club premium membership, shipping for all items on their website it free. I could not find a better deal on packaged popcorn/oil packets given that freight charges are usually high since the packages are heavy.
post #906 of 920 Old 01-08-2020, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hoping to hear some comments about noise levels of the various higher-end machines.
After reading every one of the 900+ posts on this thread over 31 pages, I was pretty set on a Paragon 6- or 8-oz, but I happened to watch this video of a Paragon and couldn't believe the god-awful racket the stirring motor makes when you flip it on! (jump to the 1:50 mark on the video to watch him flip that switch... what an awful noise!)

I watched the second video of a GN popper, and you can barely hear the stirring motor.

I'm sure some of the differences are in the camera/phone/mic placements in these amateur videos, but I'm now scared that my whole family (and sometimes guests) will be put off by that terrible noise of the Paragon.

I'm now leaning towards a Gold Medal... anyone care to comment on the noise of the motor on one of their units?

Thanks!

Video 1: Paragon popper... you'll want to jump to 1:45 or so to hear the motor being turned on.

Video 2: Great Northern popper review. You can't hear a thing, even with camera RIGHT up to the machine, and with all its switches turned on.
post #907 of 920 Old 01-08-2020, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Paragon 6 does kind of make a noise like a gearbox with a worm gear - kind of a whiny/whirring noise, but I don't necessarily find it objectionable - it definitely reminds you that kettle switch is on, because when the kettle switch is on and that motor is running the heat element is also on. The other switch is for the warmer under the tray. So if the kettle switch is on and the operation is too quiet I could see the possibility of it accidentally being on and that heater running in a dry kettle, or even an empty dirty kettle, which could make a major mess of things or possibly even be a fire hazard (but I have to believe there is a thermal fuse on the heating element for that.) It's not so loud that you can't have a normal conversation while it is running, and I also like that you can hear changes in the sound if there is excessive resistance to motion - like too much corn, or a stuck cover and the corn is not coming out, etc. I like mine, and I have had it for over 10 years. While I have a kettle cleaning kit I have never had to use it, and I have run probably 5 or 6 cases of corn through it. I am kind of OCD and clean it when I am finished and everything is still pretty hot - that coconut oil cleans up really nice when it's still over 100 degrees or so (I use a very heavy rag and cloth gloves). Anyway, I have had no problems with mine. If I had one wish for an improvement I would like a good bit more heat to come out of the warmer to keep the popped corn hotter and dryer after popping and before serving.
josh likes this.

Don't mind me, I'm just muttering....

Last edited by Donb01; 01-08-2020 at 08:59 PM.
post #908 of 920 Old 01-08-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Hooray! The Booth Bijou Garage Theater can make fresh popcorn again!!

Mark
Hi Mark - I've read all your posts in this huge popcorn thread, and your recent post about the GN failure and switching to the GM Lil Maxx has me convinced I want to go GM for my popper.

Any update on how it's lasted for you and if you still love it?

How noisy is the stirrer motor on that unit? (see my post right above with the horrible racket the Paragon seems to make)

And most importantly, when I compare the pic of your unit with the one on GM's web page for this unit (https://shop.gmpopcorn.com/collectio...xx-popper-2389) I noticed that you have the graphics on the BACK of the machine, where the doors are! That's what I would want too. Did it come this way, or did you somehow reverse those panels at the top to move the graphics to the back?

Thanks!
post #909 of 920 Old 01-09-2020, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Hi Mark - I've read all your posts in this huge popcorn thread, and your recent post about the GN failure and switching to the GM Lil Maxx has me convinced I want to go GM for my popper.

Any update on how it's lasted for you and if you still love it?

How noisy is the stirrer motor on that unit? (see my post right above with the horrible racket the Paragon seems to make)

And most importantly, when I compare the pic of your unit with the one on GM's web page for this unit (https://shop.gmpopcorn.com/collectio...xx-popper-2389) I noticed that you have the graphics on the BACK of the machine, where the doors are! That's what I would want too. Did it come this way, or did you somehow reverse those panels at the top to move the graphics to the back?

Thanks!
Josh,

The Gold Medal Lil’ Maxx has worked flawlessly since day one. It gets used 2-3 times a month and I make 5-7 batches each time. It is so vastly superior to the Great Northern popper I had I find myself wanting to kick myself for wasting money on the G Northern one.

When popping, I think the sound of the fan in the unit is louder than the stir motor or attached arm. I don’t recall hearing the stirrer going around at all. I’m replying to your message on my iPad and I can’t turn up the volume to listen to the videos you shared because my wife is asleep. I don’t want to wake her. I’ll try to remember to listen to them tomorrow. Also, we are hosting a movie night on Saturday. I’ll try and remember to shoot a little video of the Lil’ Maxx in action and share it in this thread.

When I ordered the popper, I requested that the popcorn sign be left off the machine and delivered loose in the box. It’s self-adhesive, I just had to be careful I didn’t get any air bubbles trapped under it when applying the sign to the machine.

Mark
pkinneb likes this.

Last edited by Mark Booth; 01-09-2020 at 12:40 AM.
post #910 of 920 Old 01-09-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Josh,

The Gold Medal Lil’ Maxx has worked flawlessly since day one. It gets used 2-3 times a month and I make 5-7 batches each time. It is so vastly superior to the Great Northern popper I had I find myself wanting to kick myself for wasting money on the G Northern one.

When popping, I think the sound of the fan in the unit is louder than the stir motor or attached arm. I don’t recall hearing the stirrer going around at all. I’m replying to your message on my iPad and I can’t turn up the volume to listen to the videos you shared because my wife is asleep. I don’t want to wake her. I’ll try to remember to listen to them tomorrow. Also, we are hosting a movie night on Saturday. I’ll try and remember to shoot a little video of the Lil’ Maxx in action and share it in this thread.

When I ordered the popper, I requested that the popcorn sign be left off the machine and delivered loose in the box. It’s self-adhesive, I just had to be careful I didn’t get any air bubbles trapped under it when applying the sign to the machine.

Mark
Thanks so much Mark. Glad to hear both updates - that the GM unit has performed so well for you, and the noise is nothing like that horrible noise of the Paragon unit in the video. If that video is accurate, and i'm not sure how it couldn't be, then I'm really surprised the noise level of the Paragon has never come up on this huge thread as a negative. I'm pretty sure I'd have returned it just because of that noise.

Sure, if you do get a chance to make a video of your GM unit in action that would be great. Would love to get a sense of the sound level when in use. The second video i referenced was amazing in that the GN unit is so quiet when in use you can't really hear a thing.

Also - very clever to have asked for your unit to not have the graphics installed at all, and to leave it to you to put it on the "right" side if you're going to be facing the unit to users with the door side. The fact that they agreed to ship it without the graphics installed and instead just give you the decal to do yourself raises the question of why they just don't offer "reversed graphics" as an option from the factory. Seems it would be no additional work to put it on the reverse of the unit. There have to be many people who put their unit up against a wall in a home theater setting, which is why units like the Cineplex and the Metropolitan sell well... the graphics face the door for "self-serve" and "against a wall" use. So glad we can get this done with Gold Medal!

Anyway, I appreciate all your posts and replies here on this thread. It's because of your story that I am now going to go for the GM unit, and probably the Lil Maxx like yours.
post #911 of 920 Old 01-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donb01 View Post
My Paragon 6 does kind of make a noise like a gearbox with a worm gear - kind of a whiny/whirring noise, but I don't necessarily find it objectionable - it definitely reminds you that kettle switch is on, because when the kettle switch is on and that motor is running the heat element is also on. The other switch is for the warmer under the tray. So if the kettle switch is on and the operation is too quiet I could see the possibility of it accidentally being on and that heater running in a dry kettle, or even an empty dirty kettle, which could make a major mess of things or possibly even be a fire hazard (but I have to believe there is a thermal fuse on the heating element for that.) It's not so loud that you can't have a normal conversation while it is running, and I also like that you can hear changes in the sound if there is excessive resistance to motion - like too much corn, or a stuck cover and the corn is not coming out, etc. I like mine, and I have had it for over 10 years. While I have a kettle cleaning kit I have never had to use it, and I have run probably 5 or 6 cases of corn through it. I am kind of OCD and clean it when I am finished and everything is still pretty hot - that coconut oil cleans up really nice when it's still over 100 degrees or so (I use a very heavy rag and cloth gloves). Anyway, I have had no problems with mine. If I had one wish for an improvement I would like a good bit more heat to come out of the warmer to keep the popped corn hotter and dryer after popping and before serving.
Thanks @Donb01 , it's an interesting point about the motor noise helping to make sure you don't forget it. Worth considering, but I think for me the noise is the bigger issue, especially given the location I'll be putting the popper in and how we anticipate using it. Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful reply.
post #912 of 920 Old 01-09-2020, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks @Donb01 , it's an interesting point about the motor noise helping to make sure you don't forget it. Worth considering, but I think for me the noise is the bigger issue, especially given the location I'll be putting the popper in and how we anticipate using it. Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful reply.

Hello. I haven't fully read the discussion but noticed you had issue with how loud one of the machines are. I took a quick video of mine with the kettle turning. It's quite dirty,so keep that in mind. It's not very noisy. I've had mine for about 4 years now and have had zero issues. I also had one in my photography studio for over 10 years(same brand, larger kettle).

Hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3m4gdwn37...40118.mp4?dl=0

I know the model I have is considered a "cheap" one, but I've had zero issues.

*EDIT*

Sorry, it's a large file so might be best to download then play it. Forgot to lower the res before recording.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #913 of 920 Old 01-09-2020, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Popcorn machine recommendations

We had a Great Northern 8 oz Lincoln Popper in service for about a year and it was fine. The only issue I had with it was even if the flaps didn’t open much I still had way too many unpopped kernels no matter how long I let the kettle warm up first and no matter which popcorn I used. And if either or both flaps got vertical and stayed there, I could watch the unpopped kernels flying out. I bought a Paragon Contempo a couple weeks ago and I’ve had fewer unpopped kernels in half a dozen uses than in one batch with the GN. Yes, the Paragon was way more expensive and the motor is noisier than I’d like, but I don’t make popcorn while a movie is playing. I’m already liking it more though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
josh likes this.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000 (calibrated), 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers

Last edited by Todd G.; 01-09-2020 at 04:10 PM.
post #914 of 920 Old 01-12-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Hello. I haven't fully read the discussion but noticed you had issue with how loud one of the machines are. I took a quick video of mine with the kettle turning. It's quite dirty,so keep that in mind. It's not very noisy. I've had mine for about 4 years now and have had zero issues. I also had one in my photography studio for over 10 years(same brand, larger kettle).

Hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3m4gdwn37...40118.mp4?dl=0

I know the model I have is considered a "cheap" one, but I've had zero issues.

*EDIT*

Sorry, it's a large file so might be best to download then play it. Forgot to lower the res before recording.
thanks. I cant get the file to stream or download.
post #915 of 920 Old 01-12-2020, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks. I cant get the file to stream or download.
Apologies. My Dropbox has been giving me issues.

This link should work...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19an...w?usp=drivesdk

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #916 of 920 Old 02-06-2020, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
FYI There has been a design change on the Paramount machines to address the ceiling rust..

Email from KeepItPoppin

Thank you for contacting us. That is correct, the model P-801 and model P-2001 popcorn machines both have utilized a galvanized ceiling. The model P-801 machines currently available only have a galvanized ceiling, this is being changed over to stainless steel within the next few months. However, the available model P-2001 machines do now have the stainless steel ceiling.

Best regards,

KeepItPoppin

Also I was under the impression Paragon had a lifetime warranty? https://www.manufacturedfun.com/warranty-program.html The website refers to a 1 year?

I am shopping for a new machine and just thought I would share..

C9 55in
Denon X4300 running 5.1.4
Paradigm Reference V3 all around
HSU VTF3 MK5 HP

Last edited by 1HTPCGuy; 02-06-2020 at 05:53 PM.
post #917 of 920 Old 02-11-2020, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ya know I do like popcorn with my movie, I do like the Gold Medal Lil’ Maxx popcorn machine, however, that thing is pretty spendy for something that just pops corn.

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
post #918 of 920 Old 02-11-2020, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Is this the 40 or 50 lb size? As popcorn would be denser than dog food..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdog View Post
As you can see...I store mine in a dry dogfood container. The screw-on lid makes it pretty airtight. And 50# fills the container perfectly.

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcost...-vittles-vault

C9 55in
Denon X4300 running 5.1.4
Paradigm Reference V3 all around
HSU VTF3 MK5 HP
post #919 of 920 Old 06-06-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Josh,

Mark
I've resumed my search for a great machine, and am still most likely to go with Gold Medal. Wanted to check in again with you a few months later. Are you still happy with it, and any concerns at this point about it? Do you use it often still? and, so you think 8 oz. is the right size for you if you're going to do it again?

I've been thinking that an 8-oz kettle may be too big - it is supposed to take 1 cup of kernels... today we use 1/2 cup kernels in our countertop consumer cheap popper... and it makes plenty for us. So maybe should go for a 6oz vs. 8oz. eager to hear your thoughts on kettle size.

Thanks again for your help and advice!
--josh
jcr159 likes this.
post #920 of 920 Old 07-06-2020, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I've resumed my search for a great machine, and am still most likely to go with Gold Medal. Wanted to check in again with you a few months later. Are you still happy with it, and any concerns at this point about it? Do you use it often still? and, so you think 8 oz. is the right size for you if you're going to do it again?

I've been thinking that an 8-oz kettle may be too big - it is supposed to take 1 cup of kernels... today we use 1/2 cup kernels in our countertop consumer cheap popper... and it makes plenty for us. So maybe should go for a 6oz vs. 8oz. eager to hear your thoughts on kettle size.

Thanks again for your help and advice!
--josh
I had a 4oz Gold Medal Funpop and later upgraded to the 8oz Gold Medal Funpop. Gold Medal has larger kettles than some competitors. Their 4oz is the same size as most 6oz ones. The main reason I went for the 8oz is because I was doing my own mixes and there is more room for your hands to get in there on the larger machine. Also it's much easier to scoop the popcorn. I usually make extra and just bag it in the 3oz bags. Sometimes I make a bunch and bring it to work. When my kid was in elementary school I used to send him with three 8oz bags of popcorn every other Friday for his classmates. One time they had a movie day for the whole school and had made arrangements with a local theater to pick up popcorn at 10am for the kids. His teacher asked me to make a few of the 8oz bags for kids who could not have salt. At 9:45 am she called me in a panic. The theater thought they were picking popcorn up at 10pm not 10am. Thankfully I had a case of prepaks plus bulk stuff. I ended up making 34 batches of popcorn that day. I guess I would recommend the larger machine since it gives you a lot more flexibility but can also do a smaller batch if needed.

James
josh and smilingangel like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page