Can Someone Recommend A Digital To Analog Converter? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GBKid

post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic LCD TV Model TC-L32U3. I also have a Bose Wave System (Yes a Bose ). The TV has a Digital Optical Audio Out, and the Bose has a 3.5 Analog In. I want to be able to play Blu-ray Discs in stereo through the Bose.

Can someone recommend a Digital to Analog Converter and the cables that I could use to to do this? Thanks.

I Was Very Drunk At The Time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I actually purchased one from Monoprice. I'll see if I can get the model for you. Essentially, in order for me to use my AppleTV as a Zone 2 source from my Denon 1911, I needed to convert the digital (optical) cable out of the AppleTV into the converter, then could use the normal RCA plugs to an analog in on the back of the receiver.

Worked like a champ. Cost of everything was less than $20 if I remember correctly.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 PM

Here's a link to the product I used. (I mis-remembered the cost, it was under $40 including shipping and cables):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
noah katz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks....But that one will not work. It converts Coaxial into L/R Audio. I need one that converts Optical into 3.5 stereo. I'll contact Monoprice and see if they have what I need.

post #5 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordpuffer View Post

Thanks....But that one will not work. It converts Coaxial into L/R Audio. I need one that converts Optical into 3.5 stereo. I'll contact Monoprice and see if they have what I need.

It's exactly what you need. It has both coax and optical digital inputs. It outputs analog audio via the RCA plugs. Pair it up with this and you're golden.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM

Last poster is correct, it is precisely what you need to convert the signal. Take a moment to read the description on the page though, as it ONLY will handle 2 channels, it will not allow the pass-through of a 5.1 signal into an analog source. Set-up time - less than 5 minutes (and most of that is getting the packaging apart)
post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry.....Thank you GBKid (and all). I read it wrong. Thank you very much!

post #8 of 9 Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 PM

Just got a new LG LED TV (55LV5500) - very nice. But with only a digital optical Toslink output, there was no way to hook up to my 10-year old Bose 5.1 system, which accepts only analog inputs.

Solution - Radio Shack DA-710 Digital audio to analog converter (their catalog number 15-093) for $39.99. This was recommended by Bose engineer as a cheaper solution than some others such as the Gefen box. Works great for all TV and DVD inputs I have.

Note that some other posters have reported that a DAC won't work with all their channels, and the RS unit instructions states that it can accept only standard 2-channel inputs, not any compressed formats. Seems to work just fine here with LG TV, Oppo DVD and Comcast Cable service.

Also when I called LG to ask for their suggestions, I got a scripted response that they could not recommend any converter solutions, and they were very sorry I didn't know this before I purchased. OK, my bad for not thinking about compatibility issues, but all I get is a crummy canned backside-covering response?

Anyway, success for only $40 plus the cost of a cable.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked: 793
How is the sound quality of such an inexpensive thing?

I just need to convert the zone 2 digital output of my new pre/pro to feed my garage system, but the speakers are pretty good and I wouldn't want there to be a noticeable drop in SQ.

As a calibration point, I'm not someone who hears SQ differences between decent power amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBKid View Post
Here's a link to the product I used. (I mis-remembered the cost, it was under $40 including shipping and cables):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page