MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 382Likes

post #1591 of 2945 Old 10-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 39
meyer64 any ETA on fix for Kodi 15.1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2945 Old 10-18-2015, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradC View Post
Win10 for the RP2 is only for IoT (Internet of Things). It's designed to run headless (no interface/GUI). It won't run standard Windows applications.
Rats, thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll look into a used PC stick or something. was hoping for something super small, cheap and "hideable."
post #1593 of 2945 Old 10-18-2015, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afakhori View Post
Rats, thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll look into a used PC stick or something. was hoping for something super small, cheap and "hideable."
I personally use this to run my MoviePoster: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ute-stick.html

You can see it here behind a 24" monitor:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1003809  
dRwOOD73 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 2945 Old 10-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Also waiting for an update since my Kodi 15.2 isn't showing NOW PLAYING posters.
post #1595 of 2945 Old 10-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Also waiting for an update since my Kodi 15.2 isn't showing NOW PLAYING posters.
Having the same issue.
post #1596 of 2945 Old 10-25-2015, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
@meyer64 Thank you for creating this wonderful program! My friend got a Samsung signage TV a few weeks ago for free, and got the idea to use it as a live-updating movie poster. Well, we mounted it in his theater and got the software and everything running... and I was simply unsatisfied with how it operated, not to mention the amount of manual labor involved in collecting posters, reformatting them to fit, etc. Being a Kodi/emby user, I knew there had to be some kind of awesome app solution to this problem using the MovieDatabase metadata and such, and viola! I found this thread

The screen is on my friends wall, but I've been running your software on my PC for a few days now, getting the hang of configuring it and such while we wait for the Intel Compute Stick to arrive in the mail. I just started futzing about with motion posters tonight and ran into a bit of a problem I haven't seen anyone in this thread mention. The aspect ratio of the motion poster is getting squashed. Here is a screenshot:

*edit* cannot post screenshot because my 'rank' is too low

Any ideas why this is happening? It is playing just fine, but... obviously squashed. I launched the motionposter into mplayer direct and it ran just fine, but when it loads in MoviePosterApp is looks like this.
post #1597 of 2945 Old 10-26-2015, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 319
post #1598 of 2945 Old 10-27-2015, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
is there any restriction for a computer we use ? (it should be with vga or hdmi etc. ) because I have plan to buy an old mini pc which can runs windows 7 most of them has a vga output. I have tried to read all posts as possible but if app possible to run with Raspberry it would be perfect for any one. By the way thanks for this software.
post #1599 of 2945 Old 10-27-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyankizu View Post
is there any restriction for a computer we use ? (it should be with vga or hdmi etc. ) because I have plan to buy an old mini pc which can runs windows 7 most of them has a vga output. I have tried to read all posts as possible but if app possible to run with Raspberry it would be perfect for any one. By the way thanks for this software.
It would have to be an ancient PC to only have VGA output. Why would you do that when current HDMI with Windows 10 can be had for $100-$150? And then you would have to convert the output since the TV likely won't have a VGA input. And it requires Windows so that excludes Raspberry, AFAIK.

Matt
post #1600 of 2945 Old 10-27-2015, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
It would have to be an ancient PC to only have VGA output. Why would you do that when current HDMI with Windows 10 can be had for $100-$150? And then you would have to convert the output since the TV likely won't have a VGA input. And it requires Windows so that excludes Raspberry, AFAIK.
you are totally right and your words are logical. but there is a little problem about $ currency in Turkey , it is about 1$ = 3 Turkish Lira. So it makes 300-450 TL. My tought is buying computer as attached picture. (about $40) using this computer just for this purpose. Also I have zotac mini pc which has xbmc installed for playing movies. Actually I'm try to build less budget as possible I do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1021801  
post #1601 of 2945 Old 10-27-2015, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyankizu View Post
you are totally right and your words are logical. but there is a little problem about $ currency in Turkey , it is about 1$ = 3 Turkish Lira. So it makes 300-450 TL. My tought is buying computer as attached picture. (about $40) using this computer just for this purpose. Also I have zotac mini pc which has xbmc installed for playing movies. Actually I'm try to build less budget as possible I do.
As long as it runs Windows Vista or later, it should work ok. I'd recommend at least 2GB RAM and 10-20 GB of free HD space though. If its a slow CPU, you might need to lower the resolution of the trailers to get smooth playback.

My personal MoviePoster display is connected via VGA, so I can attest that it can work just fine. Just make sure that the PC outputs the correct resolution for your screen. Some really old PCs won't do widescreen resolutions well.
miyankizu likes this.
post #1602 of 2945 Old 10-27-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Speaking of vga & dinosaur pcs.. i picked up this bad boy from Craiglist for $25 to run movie poster on (eventually).. itz a 50inch 2002 Pioneer plasma, looks pretty good off my pc vga.. I've been trying to find an old DVI cable to see if there is any improvement..

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445961542944.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1022185

post #1603 of 2945 Old 10-27-2015, 07:35 PM

Trying to set this up with the Intel ComputeStick right now and it crashes as soon as I launch it. Any ideas?
post #1604 of 2945 Old 10-28-2015, 09:07 AM

So, a bit more information.

Got the Intel Compute Stick upgraded to Win10, hoping that would solve the problem. It did not. The MoviePoster application runs the first time after a fresh install, but then crashes after about 10 seconds and will not run again no matter what. I tried to run mplayer by itself a minute ago to cache the fonts, and my PC popped up an error saying "This app can't run on this PC". Is this a 32bit vs 64bit problem? I tried to grab the 64bit version of Win10 but it wouldn't let me despite the fact that the specs I found online for the Compute stick says it is a 64bit processor. @ConradC have you run into any problems running MoviePoster on your Compute Stick? I'm trying to get this poster display up and running for my friends theater by Halloween so any help would be very greatly appreciated.
post #1605 of 2945 Old 10-28-2015, 09:20 AM

I really wish I could edit my posts...

Anyway, some more details. I deleted the folder in Appdata and ran the software again, and it will stay running until I try to launch 'settings' to configure it. That's when it crashes.

*edit: yay! I can edit them now.

*UPDATE: It is the displayconfig.xml file that prevents it from starting up again after it crashes. Still don't know why it is crashing, but every time I try to open the settings window it crashes.

Last edited by z0mbi; 10-28-2015 at 09:35 AM.
post #1606 of 2945 Old 10-28-2015, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mbi View Post
I really wish I could edit my posts...

Anyway, some more details. I deleted the folder in Appdata and ran the software again, and it will stay running until I try to launch 'settings' to configure it. That's when it crashes.

*edit: yay! I can edit them now.

*UPDATE: It is the displayconfig.xml file that prevents it from starting up again after it crashes. Still don't know why it is crashing, but every time I try to open the settings window it crashes.
Specifically, its the height and width values in the displayconfig.xml that causes the problem. It doesn't happen on all machines, and seems to have something to do with Windows 8 and up doing screen scaling for higher DPI. The height and width are expected to be whole numbers, but windows sometimes reports screen coordinates as a decimal. If you edit the xml to change those values to a whole number, the program should run fine. But, it will re save those values if you move the window around or re size it.

I've fixed this problem for the (long overdue) next release.
dRwOOD73 and z0mbi like this.
post #1607 of 2945 Old 10-28-2015, 11:25 AM

Yeah, I just installed 2.1 to see if that would fix my problem, and while it was copying over to the Intel stick, I finally got to that point in the thread where you told people how to fix this. *SMH* I read the ENTIRE thread in one day, but stopped literally the page before that post, haha.

So with 2.1 running, the problem is fixed and everything is great! Thanks again, Meyer, this is such a neat project.

And for anyone interested, the Intel Computestick runs Win10 just fine, and runs MoviePosterApp just fine (although I haven't tried trailers yet, but it plays videos in YouTube perfectly so I don't imagine it will be a problem). Can't beat it for $100. I have a 64GB USB thumb drive that's almost as big as the ComputeStick. The thing is tiny, and a lot faster than I thought it was going to be. It boots into Win10 from BIOS almost as fast as my desktop with an SSD does.
post #1608 of 2945 Old 10-28-2015, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I was about to say check your displayconfig.xml, but it looks like you already resolved your issue.
z0mbi likes this.
post #1609 of 2945 Old 10-28-2015, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Alright... I know a lot of you have been waiting on the 'Next Release' for quite some time. I must apologize, I meant to have it finished up quite a while ago, but I've been busy... so it kept getting pushed off.
I've packaged up what I have as Version 2.1 RC2 so that you guys can play with it. Like 2.1 RC1, there is no installer. Just extract the archive and run movieposter.exe.

Notable new features include:
-Initial support for Kodi 15
-Manual Now Playing Plugin. - go to the poster options for a movie in the cache to start / stop manual now playing
-initial support for integration with the GDC MoviePoster Motion Controller, including IR control.
- improved support for trivia slides.

http://movieposterapp.com/Downloads/...ter_2.1_RC2.7z

I did throw this together pretty quickly today, so be sure to let me know if you experience any major issues.
turls and z0mbi like this.
post #1610 of 2945 Old 10-28-2015, 08:27 PM

@ConradC Have you been able to get trailers to play on your Intel Stick? Mine are just black. When I drag a trailer directly onto the mplayer.exe, the movie is just a bright green screen and mplayer throws up a console window and says **Your system is too SLOW to play this file**

HD video plays just fine in Youtube, so I'm wondering whats up.
post #1611 of 2945 Old 10-29-2015, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
@ConradC Have you been able to get trailers to play on your Intel Stick? Mine are just black. When I drag a trailer directly onto the mplayer.exe, the movie is just a bright green screen and mplayer throws up a console window and says **Your system is too SLOW to play this file**

HD video plays just fine in Youtube, so I'm wondering whats up.
I had a similar issue with my Intel Compute Stick, I also got a green screen when dragging a trailer directly onto the mplayer.exe - I didn't get the "your system is too slow to play this file"-error though.
What fixed it for me was to swap the config file in the mplayer folder with one from another version.

I have attached the config file. This worked for me on 2.1 RC1 and RC2!

I don't know if this has any influence on the rest of the application.
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip (605 Bytes, 3 views)
z0mbi likes this.
post #1612 of 2945 Old 10-29-2015, 08:33 AM

Thanks, Luckske. I'll check that out later, but I don't think it will work as last night I installed an entire version of mplayer from a previous version of MoviePosterApp and it still gives me the green screen, error, and blank trailers.
post #1613 of 2945 Old 10-29-2015, 02:25 PM

Meyer64,

Just want to inform you;

Everything seems to work great in Movieposter 2.1RC.
Now playing is now showing the right movie.

if I play music, movieposter is struggling.
One moment it shows the poster of the movie I saw last,
a couple of seconds later the only thing I see, is a black screen with the text;' now playing'.

Maybe you know this already and your only goal was to solve the 'now playing' part for movies only...
If that`s the case; I have to apologize...

Kind regards,
Luuk
post #1614 of 2945 Old 10-29-2015, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Luckske. I'll check that out later, but I don't think it will work as last night I installed an entire version of mplayer from a previous version of MoviePosterApp and it still gives me the green screen, error, and blank trailers.
I've never seen that error myself. I've run the program on an older Intel Atom system and trailer playback was choppy as higher resolutions, but lower resolution ones played fine. You could try to lower the resolution of the trailers to see if that helps. Even on a 1080p display in portrait orientation the 720p trailers will still get you about as good of quality as you'll be able to see. they would be 1280 pixels wide and since your screen is portrait you only have 1080 to work with anyway. a 480p trailer will give you 720 pixel width and probably wouldn't look too bad either.
post #1615 of 2945 Old 10-29-2015, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassiened View Post
Meyer64,

Just want to inform you;

Everything seems to work great in Movieposter 2.1RC.
Now playing is now showing the right movie.

if I play music, movieposter is struggling.
One moment it shows the poster of the movie I saw last,
a couple of seconds later the only thing I see, is a black screen with the text;' now playing'.

Maybe you know this already and your only goal was to solve the 'now playing' part for movies only...
If that`s the case; I have to apologize...

Kind regards,
Luuk
Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I didn't test music playback at all on the 2.1 RC2 release... I will look into it.
post #1616 of 2945 Old 11-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

So I installed the RC1. The now playing with Kodi 15.2 seems to work other than not working when playing TV Shows.
post #1617 of 2945 Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just installed the latest version of the app. I was able to connect it to my Plex server but it won't show the "NOW SHOWING" and the movie poster of the currently playing movie. Is there a specific setup for this?
dRwOOD73 likes this.
post #1618 of 2945 Old 11-04-2015, 04:17 PM

Is there a way to have multiple posters for a single movie, where it picks from the pool each time that movie comes around?
post #1619 of 2945 Old 11-04-2015, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handroyd View Post
I just installed the latest version of the app. I was able to connect it to my Plex server but it won't show the "NOW SHOWING" and the movie poster of the currently playing movie. Is there a specific setup for this?
if you're sure the serveraddress and serverport fields are set correctly movieposter should be able to connect to your plex server. Make sure these fields are set to the address of your server, not the client. Since the Plex server hosts the media and handles transcoding for all your plex clients, you need to tell it which device to watch for playback status. double check that the deviceidtowatch field is exactly the same as the name of the device as it is reported in Plex server.
post #1620 of 2945 Old 11-04-2015, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there a way to have multiple posters for a single movie, where it picks from the pool each time that movie comes around?
Sort of, yes. Using the webremote. Find the movie you want another poster for in the cache. Click the gear icon to the right to go to the poster options. Click 'Copy Poster'. This makes a duplicate of that poster and all its data (except for its internal ID number, which must be unique) go back to the cache, refresh the page if you don't see the copy of the poster you just made. Go to the poster options for the copy of the poster, and select 'Choose Alternate Poster'. Pick the poster you want. Now you essentially have two different posters for the same movie. MoviePoster doesn't know that these posters are for the same movie though, it sees them as two totally separate things.
turls and z0mbi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page