MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 348Likes

post #1681 of 2897 Old 12-23-2015, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Since Meyers appears to be enjoying life over the holidays I'm reaching out to other Intel Compute Stick owners.

As I've mentioned in post #1673 I'm not impressed so far. I've done a lot of testing. In attempts to rule out WiFi sluggishness I connected with a USB to Ethernet converter. I was able to successfully play a 15GB movie from my NAS with the converter. This also proved the stick has a lot of horsepower.

I have an issue with a 138MG custom motion poster I created that doesn't play smoothly (downloaded trailers do however). Additionally, dragging my custom movie or downloaded trailers onto mPlayer results in the following "Your system is too SLOW to play this!" error as shown below. Another issue is that only 10 posters will download even though TMDB Options are all set to 10. My desktop downloads at least 60 with same settings. The Intel takes forever to populate the cache, but my desktop starts to populate about one every few seconds or so.

Code:
MPlayer Redxii-SVN-r35203-4.6.2 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
198 audio & 412 video codecs

Playing D:\MoviePoster\mplayer\Olson Cinema Intro Poster-motion.mp4.
libavformat version 54.27.101 (internal)
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] stream 0: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang eng
[lavf] stream 1: video (h264), -vid 0
VIDEO:  [H264]  1080x1620  24bpp  29.970 fps  13167.8 kbps (1607.4 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 major_brand: mp42
 minor_version: 19529854
 compatible_brands: mp42isom
Load subtitles in D:\MoviePoster\mplayer\
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
libavcodec version 54.56.100 (internal)
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 192.1 kbit/12.51% (ratio: 24011->192000)
Selected audio codec: [ffaac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio))
AO: [dsound] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
Unsupported PixelFormat 61
Unsupported PixelFormat 53
Unsupported PixelFormat 81
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
Movie-Aspect is 0.67:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
[swscaler @ 0145e7c0]BICUBIC scaler, from yuv420p to yuyv422 using MMX2
VO: [directx] 1080x1620 => 1080x1620 Packed YUY2
A:   4.6 V:   1.7 A-V:  2.858 ct:  0.000   0/  0 67% 190%  6.7% 50 0

**** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****
Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
- Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
  - Try -ao sdl or use the OSS emulation of ALSA.
  - Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good start.
- Slow video output
  - Try a different -vo driver (-vo help for a list) or try -framedrop!
- Slow CPU
  - Don't try to play a big DVD/DivX on a slow CPU! Try some of the lavdopts,
    e.g. -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=1:fast:skiploopfilter=all.
- Broken file
  - Try various combinations of -nobps -ni -forceidx -mc 0.
- Slow media (NFS/SMB mounts, DVD, VCD etc)
  - Try -cache 8192.
- Are you using -cache to play a non-interleaved AVI file?
  - Try -nocache.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/video.html for tuning/speedup tips.
If none of this helps you, read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.
Here's the link to my custom movie poster in case anyone else wants to try it on their stick. It's only the 1st phase/scene of the 3 the final will contain.
http://1drv.ms/1YEJnL7

Last edited by CaptainKen; 12-26-2015 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Add link to custom movie poster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2897 Old 12-26-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKen View Post
@sraptor any chance you would consider sharing your original PSD or PND file?
Have you had a chance to find this file?
post #1683 of 2897 Old 12-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Could I use this with QNAP instead of a PC or Intel compute stick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 2897 Old 12-28-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabelle870 View Post
Could I use this with QNAP instead of a PC or Intel compute stick?
No MPA will only run on a windows type of device.
post #1685 of 2897 Old 01-03-2016, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Very cool program. However (like everyone else) I'm having a few issues that I can't seem to figure out on my own.

First, I can't get it to work with Kodi 15.2 to display the now showing feature. I believe I have all the settings correct but nothing is coming up. It does show it's connected to the ip of Kodi but even with the web remote nothing will display.

Second, will the program pull other titles from your Kodi database to display or is it limited to only showing the currently displaying Kodi media? And if it is possible can you get the top banner to display "Now Showing"?

Third, when using a custom directory for posters is there a way to also get metadata for them? Do they need to be named the same as themoviedb.org names movies?

I've dug into the files and seem to understand how the theme works. Is creating a custom theme essentially just duplicating the default directory and the updating/changing the files within as desired?

Thanks for your help!

Edit - Also, where does the program cache the posters it's downloaded? And is it not possible to add a new poster but have it set to "now playing" instead of coming soon?

Last edited by Batiatus Rules; 01-03-2016 at 11:41 AM.
post #1686 of 2897 Old 01-03-2016, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus Rules View Post
Very cool program. However (like everyone else) I'm having a few issues that I can't seem to figure out on my own.

First, I can't get it to work with Kodi 15.2 to display the now showing feature. I believe I have all the settings correct but nothing is coming up. It does show it's connected to the ip of Kodi but even with the web remote nothing will display.
Could be a few things. First make sure you are running the newest release. Older versions wont work for Kodi 15. The most up to date version is 2.1 RC2, download link is in the first post.
Assuming that the settings are correct in the XBMC/Kodi plugin, check to make sure you have all the remote control and http server options turned on in Kodi. If you don't use a password for the remote options in Kodi, try adding one, it helps for some platforms.

Quote:
Second, will the program pull other titles from your Kodi database to display or is it limited to only showing the currently displaying Kodi media? And if it is possible can you get the top banner to display "Now Showing"?
No, it wont pull anything form the Kodi library unless you actually play the movie. An import function has been requested and is on my to do list.
In order to change the banner, you'd need to modify the banner image in the theme that you are using.
Quote:
Third, when using a custom directory for posters is there a way to also get metadata for them? Do they need to be named the same as themoviedb.org names movies?
If your talking about just a folder with images in it, no, the application will not pull metadata for those. It basically functions as an image slideshow for images. You can manually add a poster to the cache though, if you really want to. Just pick an existing movie from the cache to use as a template and edit the images and .nfo file to contain the data you want. Its a bit tedious to do if you have a lot of them though.

Quote:
I've dug into the files and seem to understand how the theme works. Is creating a custom theme essentially just duplicating the default directory and the updating/changing the files within as desired?
Yes, you can copy the default theme and modify it to your liking (such as changing the banners / backgrounds). Custom themes will get loaded from your document folder under: MoviePoster\Themes
Quote:
Thanks for your help!

Edit - Also, where does the program cache the posters it's downloaded? And is it not possible to add a new poster but have it set to "now playing" instead of coming soon?
By default the cache folder is in your documents folder under MoviePoster\Cache, this can be changed in the settings though if you'd like the files to be stored on a seperate drive or network location.

There is an undocumented (like a lot of features) feature that will allow you change the banner for an individual movie. There is no GUI for this at the moment, so you'll need to edit the .nfo file for the movie in the cache.
the .nfo files are just xml and can be edited with any text editor.

Add / edit the header element to match ONE of the following.
<header>Welcome</header>
<header>Now Playing</header>
<header>Coming Soon</header>

if the header element is blank, the default behavior is used

For example the .nfo for The Dark Knight would look like this if you want it always show up with the 'Now Playing' banner

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<movie>
<header>Now Playing</header>
<title>The Dark Knight</title>
<year>2008</year>
<tagline>Why So Serious?</tagline>
<outline />
<plot />
<runtime>152</runtime>
<thumb>1hRoyzDtpgMU7Dz4JF22RANzQO7.jpg</thumb>
<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>
<id>tt0468569</id>
<trailer>GVx5K8WfFJY</trailer>
<genre>Drama</genre>
<studio>dc comics</studio>
<audiocodec />
<audiochannels>0</audiochannels>
<aspect>0</aspect>
<resolution>0</resolution>
<userRating>0</userRating>
<RTcriticRating> </RTcriticRating>
<RTaudienceRating> </RTaudienceRating>
<RTcriticScore> </RTcriticScore>
<RTaudienceScore> </RTaudienceScore>
<logo>the-dark-knight-4f79ffaf160d2.png</logo>
<discImage>the-dark-knight-51f843029ec20.png</discImage>
<bannerImage>the-dark-knight-52ec59373fe72.jpg</bannerImage>
<backgroundImage>the-dark-knight-4fdbaa8c842b9.jpg</backgroundImage>
</movie>
post #1687 of 2897 Old 01-03-2016, 01:10 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

Regarding the connection between Kodi and the program, I'm still not getting it to work. Will continue to monkeys around to see what I can figure out though.

I found the default poster cache directory now and understand what it's doing. This is great as I can add the exact poster I want there and not be limited to using the web remote to pick and choose. Very cool. I have a few more questions now.

Is there any plan to add a button in the web remote to change the header element?

Also noted that none of the metadata for the films is filled in the .nfo files. Can this be pulled from your Kodi library (at some future point perhaps)? Same with local trailers and such? As I can tell now it just shows a default for every poster being the same thing.

If the above isn't possible now or the near future, are there other options for the button row of icons? Maybe a lower footer similar to the header? Over even just turning off the defaults if the info is not present?

Just spit balling some ideas after finding this cool little program and messing around for a bit.
post #1688 of 2897 Old 01-03-2016, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

Regarding the connection between Kodi and the program, I'm still not getting it to work. Will continue to monkeys around to see what I can figure out though.

I found the default poster cache directory now and understand what it's doing. This is great as I can add the exact poster I want there and not be limited to using the web remote to pick and choose. Very cool. I have a few more questions now.

Is there any plan to add a button in the web remote to change the header element?

Also noted that none of the metadata for the films is filled in the .nfo files. Can this be pulled from your Kodi library (at some future point perhaps)? Same with local trailers and such? As I can tell now it just shows a default for every poster being the same thing.

If the above isn't possible now or the near future, are there other options for the button row of icons? Maybe a lower footer similar to the header? Over even just turning off the defaults if the info is not present?

Just spit balling some ideas after finding this cool little program and messing around for a bit.
Yes, I have intentions on making a full editor in the webremote for the poster metadata. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The images you see on the bottom for the audio format, resolution and aspect ratio are populated with the appropriate icons when the 'now playing' poster is shown, since it can get that data directly from Kodi at that time. The rest of the time I opted to fill in some values by default.
the .nfo files also support storing that information if you want to customize it.

for example:

<audiocodec>ac3</audiocodec>
<audiochannels>0</audiochannels>
<aspect>1.78</aspect>
<resolution>720</resolution>

will show the Dolby Digital, 16:9 aspect, and 720p resolution icons for the movie.

Last edited by meyer64; 01-03-2016 at 01:44 PM.
post #1689 of 2897 Old 01-03-2016, 01:40 PM

I'm just thinking, on a movie poster you don't generally have any of that data telling you aspect, audio or what not within the frame. If it could "go away" in general or be replaced with a lower footer like the header (Theater banner would be cool) is what I'm thinking. Again, just brainstorming things as I experiment.

Actually just thought perhaps a theater banner across the top with the now playing or coming soon along the bottom, no other info displayed would look good and clean and very theater-like.

Very cool you are looking to support and make further enhancements to the program. For the application I currently have in mind I think the manual work put into a few (hundred) posters will be worth it!

Edit - OK got more questions!

Is there code or otherwise that can be programmed into a remote like a Harmony to give a bit of basic control over the program? On/off, pause/resume, next and previous type commends? This would also be very cool to be able to simply control.

I'm guessing the web remote would work with a phone or tablet to control as well?

Last edited by Batiatus Rules; 01-03-2016 at 01:51 PM.
post #1690 of 2897 Old 01-03-2016, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm just thinking, on a movie poster you don't generally have any of that data telling you aspect, audio or what not within the frame. If it could "go away" in general or be replaced with a lower footer like the header (Theater banner would be cool) is what I'm thinking. Again, just brainstorming things as I experiment.

Actually just thought perhaps a theater banner across the top with the now playing or coming soon along the bottom, no other info displayed would look good and clean and very theater-like.

Very cool you are looking to support and make further enhancements to the program. For the application I currently have in mind I think the manual work put into a few (hundred) posters will be worth it!
It wouldn't be hard for me to implement a banner along the bottom as well. I just never thought about it. I'll play around with it.

Right now the default flags are hard coded, but I'm adding an option to make them user configurable. Then you could just change the defaults to blank if you just wanted empty space at the bottom.
post #1691 of 2897 Old 01-03-2016, 02:36 PM

As I've been playing around more I think an option to have a bottom banner is what I like the best. And options to set which banner goes in each location.

Then if through the web remote you can set the current header info that would be really sweet.

Right now I'm going through about 50 posters setting the header to now playing or leaving them default, and obtaining the poster I prefer (full theatricals with all text included). At this point I both love and hate this program. Love how awesome it is. Hate that it's another project to work on and consume all sorts of time!

2 more quick questions if I may. First, do you have PSDs for the current theme files (header specificly) you can share here or on the MoviePoster site?

Also, what dimension restrictions are there on the current header, if any?

Edit - 1 more thing. How do I get it to stop auto-downloading posters from themoviedb? I've made changes to a few it wants to download every single time, and deleted ones I don't want at all, yet I can't stop it from downloading these again and again.

Last edited by Batiatus Rules; 01-03-2016 at 03:38 PM.
post #1692 of 2897 Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
1) I have tested this on two different systems. One of these systems is a desktop and the other an Intel Compute Stick. I can't get it to show/downloaded more than 9-10 posters on the Intel stick and 29 on desktop PC. The TMDB Options are all set to 10 on both systems.
I finally got more to download by deleting the AppData\Local\MoviePoster folder.

However, it tops out at 49. If all 4 of the TMDB Max Pages are set to 10, then shouldn't it top of at 40? Not complaining, just wondering.

Quote:
2) The Webremote to the Intel stick isn't very responsive from browser on itself, browser on desktop or iPhone 6, as it takes forever to recognize a command if it actually decides to. If I try to use the Edit Blacklist or create New Custom List from itself all I get is a spinner in middle of screen. The same thing happens (but screen turns white) if I click on the gear next to movie in cache list on Webremote itself. My first thought was that the WiFi is just slow to the Intel. However I don't think the WiFi speed has much to do with accepting commands. When I access the Edit Blacklist on iPhone I can't get out as the X doesn't work. However, from the Webremote to the desktop system is very responsive.
Pressing X to get out of Blacklist still doesn't work on iPhone, so the Safari Back button should be used instead.

Quote:
3) If "Auto-Play Trailer "is checked, but "download trailers" isn't checked then "T" doesn't work. On the Intel it's pretty rare if any of them stream. So it's rare to have a trailer play via streaming.

Here's the fresh log file for the Intel Stick after deleting the cache and letting it run uninterrupted all day.

Log: http://1drv.ms/1Nm6AZW

There are a lot of Rotten Tomatoes Forbidden errors. Also many " Object reference not set to an instance of an object", "The path is not of a legal form" and "temp Pause Off". Regarding the path I confirmed it is valid and that the file plays.
Regarding the "T", that was user error as I didn't realize that MP didn't have the focus.

Are those errors in the log file normal?
post #1693 of 2897 Old 01-03-2016, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I finally got more to download by deleting the AppData\Local\MoviePoster folder.

However, it tops out at 49. If all 4 of the TMDB Max Pages are set to 10, then shouldn't it top of at 40? Not complaining, just wondering.

Pressing X to get out of Blacklist still doesn't work on iPhone, so the Safari Back button should be used instead.

Regarding the "T", that was user error as I didn't realize that MP didn't have the focus.

Are those errors in the log file normal?
I wouldn't set the tmdb pages so high. Each page has something like 20 movies. its possible that the high page setting could be causing memory problems on the intel stick. What does your memory usage look like? But, keep in mind that movies that don't match your filter criteria wont be downloaded. And some movies show up on multiple lists, ex, It could be on Coming Soon, and Popular. so that will account for some of the discrepancies in the numbers you are seeing.

The errors you are seeing in the log aren't anything to worry about per say. Sometimes movie data is missing, and the exception is caught and logged, but it doesn't break anything. The rotten tomatoes errors occur from too many requests to their api in a short time frame, so it gets rejected. Again it doesn't hurt anything, the program just tries again later.

As far as the responsiveness of the webremote when running on the intel stick, i don't have one, so i can't personally vouch for the performance. A large poster cache will slow things down though. i do have an old dual core intel atom box sitting around that should be fairly close performance wise to the Intel stick. I'll set it up and do some testing. I'm sure there are performance improvements that I can make.
post #1694 of 2897 Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
intel compute stick is not reliable, it was a bad idea.. i think i will buy the HP Pavilion mini

I have a question, is it possible that the movie poster app downloads motion posters automatically instead of regular posters?
post #1695 of 2897 Old 01-04-2016, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramy Khalil View Post
intel compute stick is not reliable, it was a bad idea.. i think i will buy the HP Pavilion mini

I have a question, is it possible that the movie poster app downloads motion posters automatically instead of regular posters?
Unfortunately, I haven't found a reliable place to get high quality motion posters in a consistent format. If there were one go-to site that had them,then sure it could be done.
post #1696 of 2897 Old 01-04-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
1) I have tested this on two different systems. One of these systems is a desktop and the other an Intel Compute Stick. I can't get it to show/downloaded more than 9-10 posters on the Intel stick and 29 on desktop PC. The TMDB Options are all set to 10 on both systems.

2) The Webremote to the Intel stick isn't very responsive from browser on itself, browser on desktop or iPhone 6, as it takes forever to recognize a command if it actually decides to. If I try to use the Edit Blacklist or create New Custom List from itself all I get is a spinner in middle of screen. The same thing happens (but screen turns white) if I click on the gear next to movie in cache list on Webremote itself. My first thought was that the WiFi is just slow to the Intel. However I don't think the WiFi speed has much to do with accepting commands. When I access the Edit Blacklist on iPhone I can't get out as the X doesn't work. However, from the Webremote to the desktop system is very responsive.

3) If "Auto-Play Trailer "is checked, but "download trailers" isn't checked then "T" doesn't work. On the Intel it's pretty rare if any of them stream. So it's rare to have a trailer play via streaming.

Here's the fresh log file for the Intel Stick after deleting the cache and letting it run uninterrupted all day.

Log: http://1drv.ms/1Nm6AZW

There are a lot of Rotten Tomatoes Forbidden errors. Also many " Object reference not set to an instance of an object", "The path is not of a legal form" and "temp Pause Off". Regarding the path I confirmed it is valid and that the file plays.

I noticed that using the Webremote from iPhone to Intel stick was more responsive after running for the day. Note that because the only time I tried the Webremote during this session was at the end, it doesn't reflect the times when it wouldn't respond. However, hitting the volume buttons muted it and only advanced visually about 2 notches. Volume recovered for next trailer.
Here's the 2nd log showing this activity. http://1drv.ms/1J8k8nQ

Hoping you can be of some help. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
I wouldn't set the tmdb pages so high. Each page has something like 20 movies. its possible that the high page setting could be causing memory problems on the intel stick. What does your memory usage look like? But, keep in mind that movies that don't match your filter criteria wont be downloaded. And some movies show up on multiple lists, ex, It could be on Coming Soon, and Popular. so that will account for some of the discrepancies in the numbers you are seeing.

The errors you are seeing in the log aren't anything to worry about per say. Sometimes movie data is missing, and the exception is caught and logged, but it doesn't break anything. The rotten tomatoes errors occur from too many requests to their api in a short time frame, so it gets rejected. Again it doesn't hurt anything, the program just tries again later.

As far as the responsiveness of the webremote when running on the intel stick, i don't have one, so i can't personally vouch for the performance. A large poster cache will slow things down though. i do have an old dual core intel atom box sitting around that should be fairly close performance wise to the Intel stick. I'll set it up and do some testing. I'm sure there are performance improvements that I can make.
Thank you for getting back to me and providing the insight into my issues.

If you get around to testing on that old dual core it would be interesting to hear your results. Since no other Intel stick owners have responded to my query I have no idea what to expect. Interesting though that I can play 15GB movie from my NAS with "Movies and TV" app with no sluggishness.

Happy New Year.
post #1697 of 2897 Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 PM

The letter "P" moves back to the Previous poster, but I haven't been able to find a key to move to the Next poster. I've tried the obvious such as N for Next and F for Forward but no luck. Does one exist?
post #1698 of 2897 Old 01-05-2016, 04:00 PM

Is there a way to get MoviePoster to NOT automatically download and cache new posters at all?

So far the only way I've found is to pause the posters with the web remote. But then if I want to run a random cycle I can't.
post #1699 of 2897 Old 01-05-2016, 04:13 PM

No idea how or why this forum creates odd double posts?
post #1700 of 2897 Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Could MoviePoster work on a dedicated streaming device like the new Roku 4 (using PLEX or KODI) ... or the Nvidia Shield?

Last edited by Colton; 01-07-2016 at 11:01 AM.
post #1701 of 2897 Old 01-07-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to get MoviePoster to NOT automatically download and cache new posters at all?

So far the only way I've found is to pause the posters with the web remote. But then if I want to run a random cycle I can't.
A previous post from Meyer:
"Set the interval to custom posters to 0 if you don't want any of the downloaded posters to show. The idea was that you can have a mix of both your own custom posters as well as automatically downloaded ones. The interval value is the number of posters to show between your custom images. The functionality is similar for trivia slides. You can also change the TMDB options to stop it from downloading posters in the background if you want."
post #1702 of 2897 Old 01-07-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Could MoviePoster work on a dedicated streaming device like the new Roku 4 (using PLEX or KODI) ... or the Nvidia Shield?
MP only works on Windows OS based hardware. Check out this link.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-the...l#post37719369
post #1703 of 2897 Old 01-07-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
A previous post from Meyer:
"Set the interval to custom posters to 0 if you don't want any of the downloaded posters to show. The idea was that you can have a mix of both your own custom posters as well as automatically downloaded ones. The interval value is the number of posters to show between your custom images. The functionality is similar for trivia slides. You can also change the TMDB options to stop it from downloading posters in the background if you want."
Excellent. Thanks!
post #1704 of 2897 Old 01-20-2016, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
@sraptor any chance you would consider sharing your original PSD or PND file?
Tell me email so I can send it out
post #1705 of 2897 Old 01-24-2016, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I see media browser has released a new version of their software called emby theater. It appears movie poster app no longer works with it. (They still have the legacy player you can use that works fine). Any plans on updating the app to work with the new emby theater as well?
post #1706 of 2897 Old 01-25-2016, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbab View Post
I see media browser has released a new version of their software called emby theater. It appears movie poster app no longer works with it. (They still have the legacy player you can use that works fine). Any plans on updating the app to work with the new emby theater as well?
I didn't realize that a new Emby Theater had been released. MoviePoster doesn't really care about the Emby client you use though, it communicates with the Emby server. I installed the new Emby Theater and noticed that in the Emby Server event list its showed that I was logged in from an Unknown Device. You should be able to change the name of the device in Emby Server though. Just make sure that you change the deviceidtowatch setting in MoviePoster to match it.

I also updated my Emby server installation, and that did seem to break some things. Which Version of Emby Server are you running?
The new version of Emby Server (as of a few months ago apparently) seems to have gotten rid of the Advanced Settings where you generate the API key needed by MoviePoster to connect. I was able to use an apiKey found with the following method:

If you look at the bottom of the main Manage Server page there's a link in the footer that says "API". That opens up Swagger (development documentation). There is an API key in the URL. You should be able to use that as the apikey setting in MoviePoster.

Once I got MoviePoster working with the new Emby Theater, I did notice one issue. In my limited time with Emby Theater, I couldn't find a way to actually stop movie playback. You can pause it, but MoviePoster doesn't see that as stopped. Even when you navigate back to the library, MoviePoster doesn't recognize that playback has stopped, unless you close Emby Theater or play a music file.

I'll continue to investigate and minor tweaks to the plugin may be needed.

Last edited by meyer64; 01-25-2016 at 02:37 AM.
post #1707 of 2897 Old 01-25-2016, 06:29 PM

Any chance the program, in it's simplest form, can be designed to work on a simple PC device like a Raspberry Pi or similar? Even if it's just running the actual posters while you can still manage all the downloads and everything on another Windows Pc on the network?

Just thinking of how to install this on a remote TV without needing some sort of Windows based device and wiring. If it only needs to access a network share wirelessly something like a Pi Zero could plug into the TV USB port and act as a simple gateway.

Also, any update if it's possible to add a banner at the bottom instead of all the info tags and chose which banner goes where?

Thanks!
post #1708 of 2897 Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any chance the program, in it's simplest form, can be designed to work on a simple PC device like a Raspberry Pi or similar? Even if it's just running the actual posters while you can still manage all the downloads and everything on another Windows Pc on the network?

Just thinking of how to install this on a remote TV without needing some sort of Windows based device and wiring. If it only needs to access a network share wirelessly something like a Pi Zero could plug into the TV USB port and act as a simple gateway.

Also, any update if it's possible to add a banner at the bottom instead of all the info tags and chose which banner goes where?

Thanks!
As of right now, you would need to connect a Windows PC of some sort to the display. There are several small relatively cheap devices that you could use. I'm eyeing the Kangaroo PC for a future installation.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883722001

That said, I am working on a new display interface as we speak. Hopefully, in the near future, you'll be able to view a poster stream through any device with an HTML5 compatible web browser. At first it will be simplified and might not support all features, such as motion posters or transitions, and you'll still need to have the MoviePoster program running on a Windows PC somewhere on your network. I have a proof of concept running, so its close to ready, but i don't know when it will be released. I'll leave it up to you if you want to wait for the feature to be available before you build your project or not. Here's what it looks like so far:

regarding the 'Bottom Banner' idea, I honestly haven't done anything with it yet. Although it wouldn't be all that hard. I'm just working on more interesting things at the moment. I wont forget about it....

Last edited by meyer64; 04-24-2017 at 07:29 AM.
post #1709 of 2897 Old 01-25-2016, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Another new feature that will be included in the next release was teased while back. Its not perfect yet, but it is far more user friendly than it was before. I now have a webremote menu built to select game scores to be displayed from ESPN gamecast data. All you need to do is pick the game you want, or choose 'Live Game' and MoviePoster will display the ESPN gamecast for that event. depending on the sport, the feed usually includes near real time play by play data and field position summaries.

vemulasri and dRwOOD73 like this.

Last edited by meyer64; 04-24-2017 at 07:29 AM.
post #1710 of 2897 Old 01-27-2016, 07:31 PM

Cool to see some of the coming features.

My question about using a Linux based device is because I'm sure the Pi Zero could run the program and it has a cost of $5, up to $35 for a Pi2 B. Was just curious about it's feasibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page