MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 348Likes

post #1741 of 2897 Old 02-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Motioncontroller:

Problem: My stupid Insignia TV when powered on take forever. I have not yet installed and pointed the Motion Controller sensor in my house yet, but while playing with my Insignia TV's power button with the TV's original remote control, it probably takes about 10 seconds for the image on the screen to show the Movie Poster App because during the power on of the Insignia TV, a image pops up that says "Insignia DTS" and then the annoying "HDMI 3" blue box shows up after that to show that the TV senses the signal on HDMI 3 input, then that HDMI 3 blue box has to disappear then the Movie Poster shows whatever the current movie poster. Altogether from hitting the power button to the display of the movie poster, the total time is 10 seconds. Even if I pointed the MotionController sensor at the VERY top entrance to the stairs (the Movie Poster 50" TV), it will only take about5 seconds by the time you reach the viewing area to view the Insignia TV, so you basically have to then stand in front of the Insignia TV to wait for the Movie Poster image to show up. This is an Insignia TV problem, not the Movie Poster Motion Controller problem.

I reached out to the Insignia tech support community via a post to see if there is a way to remove the "Insignia DTS" image and the "HDMI 3" blue box image
in order to speed up the power on time, but I have yet to hear anything.

Here is the link to my post on the Insignia support forum:

http://community.insigniaproducts.co...p/83384#M25007

Anyone have any opinion about this?

[Edit] I just got off the phone with Insignia and there is no way to remove it. I guess I'll be pointing the Motion Controller sensor more towards a direction so that before you are even near the stairs, it turns the TV on. and also "walking a little more slowly and taking my time going down the stairs in order to give the Insignia TV more time to boot up.... Lol.

Last edited by AXLCMT; 02-11-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 2897 Old 02-11-2016, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post
Nice build there jabrown.
Can you post a photo of all three of the screens in this photo with the lights on?
It looks like the one in the middle is in portrait mode but the ones on the left and right are in landscape mode?
Thanks!

So my projector is a Panny which supports constant image height and it is displaying in 2.35:1 format in the pic. My televisions only support 1.78:1 (i.e. 16:9) so that is why you see the bars on the tv but not the projector screen. Anyway I don't want to pollute this thread with unrelated context but feel free to post questions in my build thread. I haven't updated that thread in a few years though

Attached a pic with the rear lights on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0502.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	1246801  
AXLCMT likes this.

My HT Build 1.0 - [In progress]
post #1743 of 2897 Old 02-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Where is the log file located so I can upload it here?

My MoviePoster App loads the Welcome the the Great Dane page and then show the first two Movie Posters, and then it locks up
on the second Movie Poster. It does not quit or close when I right click and choose those option in the menu pop up (ie I have to open up Task Manager and manually close the MoviePoster application).

This happens over and over again, during test after test (I wanted to see if it was just a one time problem).

- Trailer downloading is disabled/streaming is disabled.
- Logging is enabled but I just was wondering where the log file is located so I can uploaded here.

The PC should be adequate (3GB RAM, and 250 GB hard drive) it is Windows Vista OS and the processor must be fast enough to handle MoviePoster because it is an HP Media PC and the PC is dedicated to only using Movie Poster.

I am not at home, I'm at work now, so I don't know which version of Movie Poster I have. If I don't have v2.0 RC1 then I will download and update it tonight. I do however had the "automatically update version" box checked so my thoughts are that it is the latest build v2.0 RC1.

Last edited by AXLCMT; 02-12-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 2897 Old 02-12-2016, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Where is the log file located so I can upload it here?

My MoviePoster App loads the Welcome the the Great Dane page and then show the first two Movie Posters, and then it locks up
on the second Movie Poster. It does not quit or close when I right click and choose those option in the menu pop up (ie I have to open up Task Manager and manually close the MoviePoster application).

This happens over and over again, during test after test (I wanted to see if it was just a one time problem).

- Trailer downloading is disabled/streaming is disabled.
- Logging is enabled but I just was wondering where the log file is located so I can uploaded here.

The PC should be adequate (3GB RAM, and 250 GB hard drive) is is Windows Vista OS and the processor must be fast enough to handle MoviePoster because it is an HP Media PC and the PC is dedicated to only using Movie Poster.

I am not at home, I'm at work now, so I don't know which version of Movie Poster I have. If I don't have v2.0 RC1 then I will download and update it tonight. I do however had the "automatically update version" box checked so my thoughts are that it is the latest build v2.0 RC1.
As long as you are on 2.0 or later, the logs are in your document folder, under MoviePoster/Logs.
post #1745 of 2897 Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
Hmmmm... So after just 2 days the LCD has screen burn already. You can see the Coming Soon and the thick line under it.
Also, I've never even noticed if a fix has been implemented for this yet, but my memory tells that the "Coming Soon" banner and the "Greate Dane" banner seem to cycle/interchange every once in a while. Am I correct and therefore what rmilyard is referring to has been fixed as far as avoiding LCD/LED screen burn (I have an LED, not a LCD).
post #1746 of 2897 Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also, I've never even noticed if a fix has been implemented for this yet, but my memory tells that the "Coming Soon" banner and the "Greate Dane" banner seem to cycle/interchange every once in a while. Am I correct and therefore what rmilyard is referring to has been fixed as far as avoiding LCD/LED screen burn (I have an LED, not a LCD).
Some screens seems to be much better at resisting burn in than others. I'm using an old cheapo LCD myself and have absolutely zero issues with burn in, so your mileage may vary, as they say. Yes, there is a feature to cycle the banners to avoid burn in issues. its in the settings, under the display options tab. It is disabled by default.
post #1747 of 2897 Old 02-13-2016, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm using the wonderful Intel Stick running Win10 which once could play motion posters such as from Great Dane and my own. Now none will play at all within MPA. When I drag one of the mp4's directly on to the mplayer.exe all I get is a bright green screen. They play fine in Windows "Movies & TV" player. Here's the log from mplayer containing the error "Your system is too SLOW to play this!". I tried rebooting and dragging on to mplayer without having loaded MPA with no change.

Have you considered using VLC instead, as mplayer appears to chock easily? I should mention that this log was done when I was logged in using TeamViewer. However, I tried this again without TeamViewer running and got the same results.

Code:
MPlayer Redxii-SVN-r35203-4.6.2 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
198 audio & 412 video codecs

Playing D:\MoviePoster\mplayer\Great Dane Cinema Intro Poster-motion.mp4.
libavformat version 54.27.101 (internal)
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
[lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang eng
VIDEO:  [H264]  1080x1620  24bpp  30.000 fps  3004.6 kbps (366.8 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 major_brand: mp42
 minor_version: 0
 compatible_brands: mp42mp41
Load subtitles in D:\MoviePoster\mplayer\
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
libavcodec version 54.56.100 (internal)
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 189.4 kbit/12.33% (ratio: 23671->192000)
Selected audio codec: [ffaac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio))
AO: [dsound] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
Unsupported PixelFormat 61
Unsupported PixelFormat 53
Unsupported PixelFormat 81
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
Movie-Aspect is 0.67:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
[swscaler @ 0145e7c0]BICUBIC scaler, from yuv420p to yuyv422 using MMX2
VO: [directx] 1080x1620 => 1080x1620 Packed YUY2
A:   4.3 V:   1.7 A-V:  2.630 ct:  0.000   0/  0 73% 176%  3.7% 50 0

**** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****

Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
- Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
  - Try -ao sdl or use the OSS emulation of ALSA.
  - Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good start.
- Slow video output
  - Try a different -vo driver (-vo help for a list) or try -framedrop!
- Slow CPU
  - Don't try to play a big DVD/DivX on a slow CPU! Try some of the lavdopts,
    e.g. -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=1:fast:skiploopfilter=all.
- Broken file
  - Try various combinations of -nobps -ni -forceidx -mc 0.
- Slow media (NFS/SMB mounts, DVD, VCD etc)
  - Try -cache 8192.
- Are you using -cache to play a non-interleaved AVI file?
  - Try -nocache.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/video.html for tuning/speedup tips.
If none of this helps you, read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.
post #1748 of 2897 Old 02-13-2016, 04:43 PM

Check out this attached nfo file with 9,347 lines in it! Two groups of sections just keep repeating over and over again. I went through and randomly looked at some other nfo's from downloaded movies, but they all looked normal.

Note that these nfo's were cleaned up before the mplayer issues mentioned in my previous post.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tt0000004 - bad.txt (170.7 KB, 10 views)
post #1749 of 2897 Old 02-13-2016, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKen View Post
Check out this attached nfo file with 9,347 lines in it! Two groups of sections just keep repeating over and over again. I went through and randomly looked at some other nfo's from downloaded movies, but they all looked normal.

Note that these nfo's were cleaned up before the mplayer issues mentioned in my previous post.
Thanks for the bug testing. I will look into it. I have a pretty god idea of whats going wrong. It has to do with the app trying to download extra data, but the imdbid isnt a real id so it fails, but adds a data section anyway.... i should be able to fix that easily enough.
post #1750 of 2897 Old 02-13-2016, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you considered using VLC instead, as mplayer appears to chock easily? I should mention that this log was done when I was logged in using TeamViewer. However, I tried this again without TeamViewer running and got the same results.
Actually.... I have a test build working with libVLC and performance is vastly improved. Its a lot easier to work with too. It was supposed to be a surprise.... but, alas...
My planned release schedule for upcoming features is:
Version 2.2 (next release, should be out in March)
- new features include:

- couch potato integration (gets poster list from CP wishlist)
- HTML5 display interface(run the backend on any windows box and display through any device with a modern web browser, ex: tablet, android box, raspberry pi, smart TVs are possible but compatibility is hit and miss.)
- IR remote control for use with the GDC MotionController
- ability to build the poster list from any combination of the following sources (themoviedb.org,couchpotato,custom lists)
- ESPN GameCast display

Version 2.3
- new features include:

- libVLC for trailer and motion poster playback on Windows
- (possible) fetch upcoming movie list from netflix rss feed.
CaptainKen likes this.
post #1751 of 2897 Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
Actually.... I have a test build working with libVLC and performance is vastly improved. Its a lot easier to work with too. It was supposed to be a surprise.... but, alas...
My planned release schedule for upcoming features is:
Version 2.2 (next release, should be out in March)
- new features include:

- couch potato integration (gets poster list from CP wishlist)
- HTML5 display interface(run the backend on any windows box and display through any device with a modern web browser, ex: tablet, android box, raspberry pi, smart TVs are possible but compatibility is hit and miss.)
- IR remote control for use with the GDC MotionController
- ability to build the poster list from any combination of the following sources (themoviedb.org,couchpotato,custom lists)
- ESPN GameCast display

Version 2.3
- new features include:

- libVLC for trailer and motion poster playback on Windows
- (possible) fetch upcoming movie list from netflix rss feed.
I love it when you brag! Thanks for sharing!
post #1752 of 2897 Old 02-14-2016, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Another feature update:
I did a little playing around this morning and wrote a quick little function to add movies from the Kodi library to the poster list. It doesn't cache them immediately, just when they are shown. I should be able to do this for Plex and Emby as well.
post #1753 of 2897 Old 02-14-2016, 06:05 PM

I assume that depending on what the values are in the following settings, the corresponding icon(s) appear at bottom of screen. Do you have a list of the possible values that can be used in these settings for custom posters? For instance, what are the values to get DTS-HD-MA and HD 1080 to get the proper icons?

<audiocodec>ac3</audiocodec>
<audiochannels>0</audiochannels>

Is it as easy as
<audiocodec>DTS-HD-MA</audiocodec>
<audiochannels>7.1</audiochannels>

Can I assume that this one is pretty straight forward in that G would trigger the General Audience ratings rectangle in lower left?
<mpaa>G</mpaa>
post #1754 of 2897 Old 02-14-2016, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I assume that depending on what the values are in the following settings, the corresponding icon(s) appear at bottom of screen. Do you have a list of the possible values that can be used in these settings for custom posters? For instance, what are the values to get DTS-HD-MA and HD 1080 to get the proper icons?

Is it as easy as
<audiocodec>DTS-HD-MA</audiocodec>
<audiochannels>7.1</audiochannels>

Can I assume that this one is pretty straight forward in that G would trigger the General Audience ratings rectangle in lower left?
<mpaa>G</mpaa>
the easiest way to see the possible values is to look at the image file names for the default theme. in the MoviePoster program folder, go to Images, then Themes. There you will find folders for the different media flags. The audio flag images are named based on the codec+number of channels as an integer. so 5.1 is listed as 6 , 7.1 is 8, etc. 0 is ignored. to get the Dolby Digital 5.1 icon (ac36.png) you would use the following values:
<audiochannels>6</audiochannels>

for DTSHD-MA (dtshd_ma.png)
<audiocodec>dtshd_ma</audiocodec>

for DTSHD-MA 7.1 (dtshd_ma8.png)
<audiochannels>8</audiochannels>

Resolution is similar.
<resolution>1080</resolution> with give you the 1080.png

aspect ratio is in the decimal value of the screen ratio width.
<aspect>2.35</aspect> gives you the 2.35.png flag 1.78 would be for 16:9

mpaa ratings are the exception, the values not directly correlate to the image file names.
<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>
<mpaa>G</mpaa>
<mpaa>R</mpaa>
<mpaa>NC-17</mpaa>
are exactly what you would expect.

now, in order for any of this to work, you basically need to manually build an appropriately named poster folder with the associated nfo file and give it a fake imdbid , then put that folder in the movie cache folder. The program doesn't currently look for nfo files in the custom folder. Although that is an idea for a new feature whenever I get to it.
post #1755 of 2897 Old 02-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
the easiest way to see the possible values is to look at the image file names for the default theme. in the MoviePoster program folder, go to Images, then Themes. There you will find folders for the different media flags. The audio flag images are named based on the codec+number of channels as an integer. so 5.1 is listed as 6 , 7.1 is 8, etc. 0 is ignored. to get the Dolby Digital 5.1 icon (ac36.png) you would use the following values:
<audiochannels>6</audiochannels>

for DTSHD-MA (dtshd_ma.png)

for DTSHD-MA 7.1 (dtshd_ma8.png)

Resolution is similar.
<resolution>1080</resolution> with give you the 1080.png

aspect ratio is in the decimal value of the screen ratio width.
<aspect>2.35</aspect> gives you the 2.35.png flag 1.78 would be for 16:9

mpaa ratings are the exception, the values not directly correlate to the image file names.
<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>
<mpaa>G</mpaa>
<mpaa>R</mpaa>
<mpaa>NC-17</mpaa>
are exactly what you would expect.

now, in order for any of this to work, you basically need to manually build an appropriately named poster folder with the associated nfo file and give it a fake imdbid , then put that folder in the movie cache folder. The program doesn't currently look for nfo files in the custom folder. Although that is an idea for a new feature whenever I get to it.
Thank for taking the time to provide all this detail. Glad you pointed out the nfo's are ignored in the Custom folder or I would have wasted hours on it. Now I understand one of the reasons why the media flag icons are embedded in to the Great Dane Home.jpg

Allowing for NFO's for custom posters would be nice, but I understand you have a lot more important items on your hit list like HTM5 to satisfy all the Linux users (I'd prefer the RPi myself) . Here's what I was planning.

Code:
  <title>Olson Family Cinema</title>
  <year />
  <tagline>A big screen movie experience in the comfort of our own home!</tagline>
  <mpaa>G</mpaa>
  <genre>Family</genre>
  <studio>CaptainKen_Studios</studio>
  <outline />
  <plot />
  <runtime />
  <thumb>/Home.jpg</thumb>
  <id>tt0000001</id>
  <trailer />
  <logo>
  </logo>
  <discImage>
  </discImage>
  <bannerImage>
  </bannerImage>
  <backgroundImage>
  </backgroundImage>
  <aspect>1.78</aspect>
  <resolution>1080</resolution>
  <userRating>100%</userRating>
  <RTcriticRating>Certified Fresh</RTcriticRating>
  <RTaudienceRating>Upright</RTaudienceRating>
  <RTcriticScore>100%</RTcriticScore>
  <RTaudienceScore>100%</RTaudienceScore>
post #1756 of 2897 Old 02-16-2016, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there!

I seem to be having an issue with the moving/motion posters. They seem to be heavily pixilated or not the right size. I've been banging my head here! What am I missing?

PS great bit of software!
post #1757 of 2897 Old 02-16-2016, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmolez View Post
Hi there!

I seem to be having an issue with the moving/motion posters. They seem to be heavily pixilated or not the right size. I've been banging my head here! What am I missing?

PS great bit of software!
Unfortunately, motion posters aren't all that easy to find in high resolution. Very few are 1080p, and many are significantly lower. The program will scale them to fill the screen, but it can't increase the picture quality beyond the native resolution of the file. So often, when stretching low res files to fill a large screen the quality is lacking. The higher resolution source you can find the better. If you want to send me a sample of one you are trying to use, I can let you know if its a source quality problem or some other issue.
post #1758 of 2897 Old 02-16-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, motion posters aren't all that easy to find in high resolution. Very few are 1080p, and many are significantly lower. The program will scale them to fill the screen, but it can't increase the picture quality beyond the native resolution of the file. So often, when stretching low res files to fill a large screen the quality is lacking. The higher resolution source you can find the better. If you want to send me a sample of one you are trying to use, I can let you know if its a source quality problem or some other issue.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in work at the moment, so can't provide a sample. It was the Oz Great and Powerful that I got from your Website.
post #1759 of 2897 Old 02-16-2016, 01:37 PM

Also can you link me up some 1080p ones please.

Thanks again

Miguel
post #1760 of 2897 Old 02-17-2016, 07:22 AM

Well my Intel Compute Stick Gen 1 is finally bricked! As noted in this response by Intel in their own forum both Intel and MS have known about this since Nov 2015.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/93643

If you go to Mario's review on the Amazon page you'll see how to unbrick it, although I have not tried that. The reset process is stuck at 51% and F8 just gives me a black screen.
http://amzn.com/B014N4CZE2

This is a clear case of buyer beware. Intel and MS, two of the larger computer companies on the planet, have known about this problem for almost THREE months and still don't have a fix. Even worse is that Intel, the leading manufacturer of computer chips, has made the conscious decision not post a warning on their product page nor the product support page. They also have clearly made the decision to not pull the product from the market until the issue has been resolved. So in the meantime even though they have identified this as being a major problem, which they would not have if numerous users hadn't experienced it, this becomes the users/buyers tough luck charlie.

I already have a lot of time invested in this dog of a stick, and feel it's unreasonable to spend any more on the process Mario has detailed. It also appears that locks the stick in time so no future updates will be available. I'm past the Amazon 30 day return window and have asked Intel for at least a replacement or preferably a full refund. The later I'm sure isn't an option, so I'll probably be calling Amazon direct for an attempt at full refund as they are usually very accommodating on the phone.

I know some users, including Meyers, have been considering the Kangaroo stick (a lot better speed benchmark), as I was as well, so I reached out to their support team regarding the Autumn update and here is their response.

"We did receive some feed back from customers about this issue. I would not say it was wide spread but it did have issues."
post #1761 of 2897 Old 02-18-2016, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well my Intel Compute Stick Gen 1 is finally bricked! As noted in this response by Intel in their own forum both Intel and MS have known about this since Nov 2015.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/93643

If you go to Mario's review on the Amazon page you'll see how to unbrick it, although I have not tried that. The reset process is stuck at 51% and F8 just gives me a black screen.
http://amzn.com/B014N4CZE2

This is a clear case of buyer beware. Intel and MS, two of the larger computer companies on the planet, have known about this problem for almost THREE months and still don't have a fix. Even worse is that Intel, the leading manufacturer of computer chips, has made the conscious decision not post a warning on their product page nor the product support page. They also have clearly made the decision to not pull the product from the market until the issue has been resolved. So in the meantime even though they have identified this as being a major problem, which they would not have if numerous users hadn't experienced it, this becomes the users/buyers tough luck charlie.

I already have a lot of time invested in this dog of a stick, and feel it's unreasonable to spend any more on the process Mario has detailed. It also appears that locks the stick in time so no future updates will be available. I'm past the Amazon 30 day return window and have asked Intel for at least a replacement or preferably a full refund. The later I'm sure isn't an option, so I'll probably be calling Amazon direct for an attempt at full refund as they are usually very accommodating on the phone.

I know some users, including Meyers, have been considering the Kangaroo stick (a lot better speed benchmark), as I was as well, so I reached out to their support team regarding the Autumn update and here is their response.

"We did receive some feed back from customers about this issue. I would not say it was wide spread but it did have issues."
That's very unfortunate. I still haven't gotten my hands on an Intel Stick or a Kangaroo, but its good to know what to watch out for. The recovery process doesn't look overly complicated if you're computer savvy. I wonder if updating the bios in advance would have prevented the problem from occurring...
post #1762 of 2897 Old 02-18-2016, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

More news on the upcoming 2.2 release:
I've updated the KODI plugin to allow use of the movie library as a poster source, either the full library or only recently added items. I'm not sure if this feature will be available for Plex or Emby in the 2.2 release but its a possibility.
I've also added a scraper to use redbox new releases as a poster list source as well.
both of these features are fully working in my dev build and only need a minor bit of debugging.
post #1763 of 2897 Old 02-18-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
That's very unfortunate. I still haven't gotten my hands on an Intel Stick or a Kangaroo, but its good to know what to watch out for. The recovery process doesn't look overly complicated if you're computer savvy. I wonder if updating the bios in advance would have prevented the problem from occurring...
I had updated the BIOS as soon as I got the stick to the current version 31. I should also point out that I was unsuccessful of using built in reset even after removing the SD card, although I had already tried resetting with it, so that most likely made a bad situation worse. Yep the reset process doesn't look hard, I'm just burnt out from screwing around with this dog.

It's been 24hrs and Intel support still hasn't responded. In comparison Kangaroo support responded quickly however, I was disappointed that there response below to my speed question didn't even both to compare the CPU benchmark or any other spec.

Me: Is the Kangaroo noticeably faster than the ICS?
Kangaroo: "I have never used the ICS so I cant say on speed."

HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF PC i7-6700, 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, RAID 6 (47TB usable space)
My Media Center
www.CaptainKen.us
www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
post #1764 of 2897 Old 02-19-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I had updated the BIOS as soon as I got the stick to the current version 31. I should also point out that I was unsuccessful of using built in reset even after removing the SD card, although I had already tried resetting with it, so that most likely made a bad situation worse. Yep the reset process doesn't look hard, I'm just burnt out from screwing around with this dog.

It's been 24hrs and Intel support still hasn't responded. In comparison Kangaroo support responded quickly however, I was disappointed that there response below to my speed question didn't even both to compare the CPU benchmark or any other spec.

Me: Is the Kangaroo noticeably faster than the ICS?
Kangaroo: "I have never used the ICS so I cant say on speed."
Intel responded stating that I follow these instructions.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ck+stck1a32wfc

Well sadly the link with the instructions page to the Compute Stick Download Center page now returns Page Not Found. I know this page worked once before because when I got the stick I initially updated it to the latest BIOS v31.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86612

When I try to Search Downloads for STCK1A32WFCL there are no results. Wow!
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

The product pages for the Compute Sticks lists ZERO specs of any kind!
http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/produ...746#tech_specs

I tried multiple browsers (FF, IE, Edge) for each of the 3 issues above in case this was a compatibility issue.

I'm now wondering that even if I was to get this un-bricked how do I know if the same Autumn update won't crash it again? It's been 3 months since Intel and MS knew about this problem, but yet it happened any how. BTW, this is the 2nd time the Autumn update screwed it up, but the first time I lucked out because it auto reset the OS back to a previous version.

Intel has now transferred my case to the warranty dept for a refund.

Update: Intel has issued a refund, even though I bought from Amazon!

My Media Center
www.CaptainKen.us

Last edited by CaptainKen; 02-21-2016 at 03:46 PM.
post #1765 of 2897 Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really awesome app. Super cool you decided to take the time and make this. I am surprised there wasn't one out there already
post #1766 of 2897 Old 02-21-2016, 03:59 PM

I've been perplexed with which Kangaroo stick to get. The 4GB with no OS is tempting until you consider the this. The $118 Windows price along with the $70 increase for the stick, essentially TRIPLES the Kangaroo price just to get 2GB's more RAM and 32GB more storage. Knowing the cost of RAM and storage this is way out of proportion. Additionally, if a user ever had to send the unit for RMA replacement, the version of Windows they purchased separately would be lost since it is tied directly to the original device/motherboard.

In come the Intel Compute Stick Core M3 and M5 versions!
http://www.gizmag.com/intel-core-m-compute-stick/41233/
https://newsroom.intel.com/chip-shot...ompute-sticks/

Intel's product page talks about the Core M models but there are no links directly to them or to buy, so not available yet.

My Media Center
www.CaptainKen.us
post #1767 of 2897 Old 02-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Meyer64,

Here is my log file for the issue when my Movie Poster App freezes up right at the second
movie poster shows up over and over and over again. Here is just one of those recent instances.
RAM: 3 GB
HP Pavilion
250 GB hard drive
Movie Poster App Version: 2.1 RC2 (that latest "beta" build)

Here is the log link via Filebin:
http://filebin.ca/2XnZTxraCiTY/logfile.2-21-2016.log

Thanks for taking a look at it!
post #1768 of 2897 Old 02-21-2016, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Meyer64,

Here is my log file for the issue when my Movie Poster App freezes up right at the second
movie poster shows up over and over and over again. Here is just one of those recent instances.
RAM: 3 GB
HP Pavilion
250 GB hard drive
Movie Poster App Version: 2.1 RC2 (that latest "beta" build)

Here is the log link via Filebin:
http://filebin.ca/2XnZTxraCiTY/logfile.2-21-2016.log

Thanks for taking a look at it!
Its going to take me some time to look it over. that's quite the log file. One thing I did notice though, according to the log, you're running version 2.0, not 2.1
post #1769 of 2897 Old 02-21-2016, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I did some testing tonight and thought I'd share, just because i think its pretty cool. I set up my laptop running MoviePoster, running 2 local display views. Then configured it to run 8 other HTML5 displays, shown on various devices around the house. In the pic you can see from left to right, an older ChromeBook, my ThinkPad (running windows7, one portrait window, one landscape window), a newer chromebook, and a Black Friday special android tablet. Also, running off the same 'server' session are a few devices you can't see. A chromecast, a Samsung Galaxy Tablet, and a few display sessions running in a chrome browser. For a total of 10 MoviePoster displays, all running ff the same 'server' session on my laptop.

and with trailers playing... (Went to see Deadpool tonight. Great movie, but don't take your kids.)

Some findings about the HTML5 display so far; ChromeOS devices seem to work pretty well. Older, single core android devices do not work very well, but even a modern cheap multicore android tablet seems to work fine, Chrome browser tends to work best, firefox is ok, but might need some tweaks as it doesn't always apply rotation settings correctly. Safari, doesn't work very well. Smart TV browsers generally don't work well, and usually don't support full screen. the PS4 browser doesn't work all that well (scripts stop). the image crossfade is smooth on some devices but not on others, I'm not sure why. A large number of active HTML5 displays, even playing trailers to all of them, seems to have a minimal impact on performance of the 'server' machine, at least on my thinkpad (i5,8gb,ssd). I didn't have a linux machine or raspberry pi available for testing, but I suspect it will work fine if you use a modern browser, such as chromium.

One of the logical next steps is to allow for showing different posters on each display. In fact, the groundwork for this is already in place, but likely wont be i the March release due to lack of time for adequate testing.
ConradC, CaptainKen and bsuave like this.

Last edited by meyer64; 04-24-2017 at 07:31 AM.
post #1770 of 2897 Old 02-21-2016, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
So I did some testing tonight and thought I'd share, just because i think its pretty cool. I set up my laptop running MoviePoster, running 2 local display views. Then configured it to run 8 other HTML5 displays, shown on various devices around the house. In the pic you can see from left to right, an older ChromeBook, my ThinkPad (running windows7, one portrait window, one landscape window), a newer chromebook, and a Black Friday special android tablet. Also, running off the same 'server' session are a few devices you can't see. A chromecast, a Samsung Galaxy Tablet, and a few display sessions running in a chrome browser. For a total of 10 MoviePoster displays, all running ff the same 'server' session on my laptop.

and with trailers playing... (Went to see Deadpool tonight. Great movie, but don't take your kids.)

Some findings about the HTML5 display so far; ChromeOS devices seem to work pretty well. Older, single core android devices do not work very well, but even a modern cheap multicore android tablet seems to work fine, Chrome browser tends to work best, firefox is ok, but might need some tweaks as it doesn't always apply rotation settings correctly. Safari, doesn't work very well. Smart TV browsers generally don't work well, and usually don't support full screen. the PS4 browser doesn't work all that well (scripts stop). the image crossfade is smooth on some devices but not on others, I'm not sure why. A large number of active HTML5 displays, even playing trailers to all of them, seems to have a minimal impact on performance of the 'server' machine, at least on my thinkpad (i5,8gb,ssd). I didn't have a linux machine or raspberry pi available for testing, but I suspect it will work fine if you use a modern browser, such as chromium.

One of the logical next steps is to allow for showing different posters on each display. In fact, the groundwork for this is already in place, but likely wont be i the March release due to lack of time for adequate testing.
That is a pretty good list of devices. Any chance you tried this with a fire stick?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page