MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 348Likes

post #1771 of 2897 Old 02-21-2016, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemulasri View Post
That is a pretty good list of devices. Any chance you tried this with a fire stick?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Not yet. Firefox isn't working on my fire stick at the moment. It's on my to do list though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 2897 Old 02-21-2016, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
Not yet. Firefox isn't working on my fire stick at the moment. It's on my to do list though.
Ok. Let me know if you need any testing done with fire stick or android tv box and i can help.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
post #1773 of 2897 Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Its going to take me some time to look it over. that's quite the log file. One thing I did notice though, according to the log, you're running version 2.0, not 2.1
Oh Snap!!!! My installation of 2.1 must not have been installed correctly.
I just downloaded it and installed it "over" the older version without removing the older version first. I guess I will remove/uninstall the older version first, then delete any Movie Poster program folders (after backing up the license I paid for that is), reboot Windows 7, then install the new version. Thanks for taking a look at the log so quickly. That log does
show that Movie Poster DID work for some time but then went back to the original problem I had yesterday, which was the second (2nd) poster showing caused the Movie Poster App to freeze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 2897 Old 02-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I did some testing tonight and thought I'd share, just because i think its pretty cool. I set up my laptop running MoviePoster, running 2 local display views. Then configured it to run 8 other HTML5 displays, shown on various devices around the house. In the pic you can see from left to right, an older ChromeBook, my ThinkPad (running windows7, one portrait window, one landscape window), a newer chromebook, and a Black Friday special android tablet. Also, running off the same 'server' session are a few devices you can't see. A chromecast, a Samsung Galaxy Tablet, and a few display sessions running in a chrome browser. For a total of 10 MoviePoster displays, all running ff the same 'server' session on my laptop.

and with trailers playing... (Went to see Deadpool tonight. Great movie, but don't take your kids.)

Some findings about the HTML5 display so far; ChromeOS devices seem to work pretty well. Older, single core android devices do not work very well, but even a modern cheap multicore android tablet seems to work fine, Chrome browser tends to work best, firefox is ok, but might need some tweaks as it doesn't always apply rotation settings correctly. Safari, doesn't work very well. Smart TV browsers generally don't work well, and usually don't support full screen. the PS4 browser doesn't work all that well (scripts stop). the image crossfade is smooth on some devices but not on others, I'm not sure why. A large number of active HTML5 displays, even playing trailers to all of them, seems to have a minimal impact on performance of the 'server' machine, at least on my thinkpad (i5,8gb,ssd). I didn't have a linux machine or raspberry pi available for testing, but I suspect it will work fine if you use a modern browser, such as chromium.

One of the logical next steps is to allow for showing different posters on each display. In fact, the groundwork for this is already in place, but likely wont be i the March release due to lack of time for adequate testing.

Nice!!! This gets us excited to get all of our Movie Poster Displays up and running!
Thanks for sharing. This app keeps getting better and better.
Is there a way that I can copy my downloaded Movie Posters in the cache so that I can just paste the "cache" of already downloaded posters into the new version of the Movie Poster app after I install 2.1 over 2.0 or is there a way to install the new Beta Version without removing or uninstalling the 2.0 version?
post #1775 of 2897 Old 02-22-2016, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post
Nice!!! This gets us excited to get all of our Movie Poster Displays up and running!
Thanks for sharing. This app keeps getting better and better.
Is there a way that I can copy my downloaded Movie Posters in the cache so that I can just paste the "cache" of already downloaded posters into the new version of the Movie Poster app after I install 2.1 over 2.0 or is there a way to install the new Beta Version without removing or uninstalling the 2.0 version?
Since 2.1 doesn't have an actual installer like 2.0 does you can just extract the folder to any location you want and run the executable. You don't even need to remove 2.0 in order to run 2.1. 2.1 will automatically update all your saved settings from 2.0 to be compatible with 2.1. By default, it will look for the poster cache in your document folder, under MoviePoster. The same place it was in 2.0. The only reason to remove that is if you suspect there might be a corrupt poster file, I didn't see anything skimming through your log to suggest that though.
post #1776 of 2897 Old 02-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since 2.1 doesn't have an actual installer like 2.0 does you can just extract the folder to any location you want and run the executable. You don't even need to remove 2.0 in order to run 2.1. 2.1 will automatically update all your saved settings from 2.0 to be compatible with 2.1. By default, it will look for the poster cache in your document folder, under MoviePoster. The same place it was in 2.0. The only reason to remove that is if you suspect there might be a corrupt poster file, I didn't see anything skimming through your log to suggest that though.
I deleted the old 2.0 .exe shortcut I had and I now have a new shortcut on the desktop to the 2.1 .exe and there are no hangups/freezes. Tonight was a special night because I finally had a chance to sit down and test the trailer auto-play option and the trailers are running flawlessly!!!!! Only problem with the Insignia / PC HDMI connection is that there is no sound but that is not an issue with Movie Poster since no sound at all from anything on the PC to the Insignia is coming through.
post #1777 of 2897 Old 02-25-2016, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmolez View Post
Also can you link me up some 1080p ones please.

Thanks again

Miguel
one of the very few full HD motion posters that I am aware of:
https://www.facebook.com/PixarTheGoo...0774168992648/

You'll need to use a browser extension like videodownloadhelper for firefox in order to download it.
nickbuol and CaptainKen like this.
post #1778 of 2897 Old 02-26-2016, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm replacing my HTPC with a Dell Optiplex 9010 Small Form Factor PC: i7-3770, 3.4GHz, 8GB PC. My plan is to only use for Kodi and Plex as I have in the past, but also load MPA on it so my RPi gen2 digital movie poster can access MPA via the new HTML5 interface.

Meyers, if you'd like I'm open to testing this new HTML5 interface, and think I can find some time to help out.

Ken

HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF PC i7-6700, 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, RAID 6 (47TB usable space)
My Media Center
www.CaptainKen.us
www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
post #1779 of 2897 Old 02-26-2016, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKen View Post
I'm replacing my HTPC with a Dell Optiplex 9010 Small Form Factor PC: i7-3770, 3.4GHz, 8GB PC. My plan is to only use for Kodi and Plex as I have in the past, but also load MPA on it so my RPi gen2 digital movie poster can access MPA via the new HTML5 interface.

Meyers, if you'd like I'm open to testing this new HTML5 interface, and think I can find some time to help out.

Ken
That would be great, I don't have a spare pi handy at the time. I'll pack up a test build sometime this weekend. Keep in mind, not everything works on the html5 interface yet. In preparation, you'll want to install chromium, and maybe some other browsers for testing if you want. For a user friendly install, you'll probably want to see if you can find a way to make chromium auto launch in full screen when the pi boots. I'm sure it can be done, I just haven't looked into it yet.
CaptainKen likes this.
post #1780 of 2897 Old 02-27-2016, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
That would be great, I don't have a spare pi handy at the time. I'll pack up a test build sometime this weekend. Keep in mind, not everything works on the html5 interface yet. In preparation, you'll want to install chromium, and maybe some other browsers for testing if you want. For a user friendly install, you'll probably want to see if you can find a way to make chromium auto launch in full screen when the pi boots. I'm sure it can be done, I just haven't looked into it yet.
Would it work with the Pine A64?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ef=home_social
post #1781 of 2897 Old 02-27-2016, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
I don't see why not. That's an interesting device. I might need to pick one up. Just keep in mind that the main program still needs to run in a Windows PC, server or VM.
post #1782 of 2897 Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I seem to have lost my ability to access the web setup page. It was working well for quite some time, but now it doesn't seem to exist at all. I can't even get to it on the local machine.

I'm running Win7. Was there a recent update that could have caused this?

Other than for an uninstall & reinstall, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.
- Dave
post #1783 of 2897 Old 02-29-2016, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth122 View Post
I seem to have lost my ability to access the web setup page. It was working well for quite some time, but now it doesn't seem to exist at all. I can't even get to it on the local machine.

I'm running Win7. Was there a recent update that could have caused this?

Other than for an uninstall & reinstall, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.
- Dave
Sounds like MoviePoster can't start its web server for some reason, this is usually due to the port number being used by another application, or it not getting released properly from an app crash or something.. Easiest fix is to just reboot the pc as long as you don't have another app that would use that port number, (you probably don't). or you can change the port number to one that's not being used and relaunch the app.
post #1784 of 2897 Old 02-29-2016, 10:24 AM

FYI!
Raspberry Pi 3 out now Still $35 but up to 50 percent faster ZDNet
http://www.zdnet.com/article/raspber...ercent-faster/

My Media Center
www.CaptainKen.us
post #1785 of 2897 Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Sounds like MoviePoster can't start its web server for some reason, this is usually due to the port number being used by another application, or it not getting released properly from an app crash or something.. Easiest fix is to just reboot the pc as long as you don't have another app that would use that port number, (you probably don't). or you can change the port number to one that's not being used and relaunch the app.
I'm on a dedicated machine that does nothing but run Movie Poster. There's not even anything else installed. There's nothing that could be conflicting unless there's some kind of configuration error. I tried rebooting and changing ports, but that didn't help.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point, if even the localhost web interface isn't working.

One thing I changed relatively recently is the way the software starts. It used to be in my Startup folder and now it's running as a service. Would that make a difference?
- Dave
post #1786 of 2897 Old 03-01-2016, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKen View Post
FYI!
Raspberry Pi 3 out now Still $35 but up to 50 percent faster ZDNet
http://www.zdnet.com/article/raspber...ercent-faster/
I know nothing about the Raspberry Pi, but would this be a complete solution to run this program on a TV? I mean, $35 seems hard to beat.

What other equipment/hardware/software would be needed to run the movieposter software (other than the movieposter software itself)?
post #1787 of 2897 Old 03-01-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I know nothing about the Raspberry Pi, but would this be a complete solution to run this program on a TV? I mean, $35 seems hard to beat.

What other equipment/hardware/software would be needed to run the movieposter software (other than the movieposter software itself)?
In post 1781 Meyer pointed out that:
"Just keep in mind that the main program still needs to run in a Windows PC, server or VM."

So when the HTML5 MPA version is release you would point the browser on the RPi to the Windows device acting as a server.

You should also check out posts 1708, 1722 and 1769.

My Media Center
www.CaptainKen.us

Last edited by CaptainKen; 03-01-2016 at 06:16 AM.
post #1788 of 2897 Old 03-01-2016, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm on a dedicated machine that does nothing but run Movie Poster. There's not even anything else installed. There's nothing that could be conflicting unless there's some kind of configuration error. I tried rebooting and changing ports, but that didn't help.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point, if even the localhost web interface isn't working.

One thing I changed relatively recently is the way the software starts. It used to be in my Startup folder and now it's running as a service. Would that make a difference?
- Dave
Yes, that could be the problem. I'm not sure why, though. The newer versions have an option in the settings to launch MoviePoster with Windows. I don't recall which release that was introduced with, but that would be the preferred method.
post #1789 of 2897 Old 03-01-2016, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick update for those interested. I did a little more work on the HTML5 display interface today. MotionPosters in .mp4 and .gif format are now working, as is the ESPN gamecast feature. Just a couple more loose ends to tie up and then I'll post a build for you all to play with.
BrianBuda and CaptainKen like this.
post #1790 of 2897 Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, that could be the problem. I'm not sure why, though. The newer versions have an option in the settings to launch MoviePoster with Windows. I don't recall which release that was introduced with, but that would be the preferred method.
This fixed the issue, but it was opposite from your recommended approach. When I load MoviePoster with Windows, the web interface doesn't work. When I load it from a shortcut in the Startup menu the web server works. I have no further explanation, but I switched it back and forth and that's definitely what's happening.

And now I have a feature request, if you'd call it a feature. I like rotate the banners to prevent burn-in and add some general interest. Is there a way to do it so that the banner changes when the poster changes? Right now the banner changes while the poster stays the same and it seems a little weird.

I'll also reiterate a related feature request I made previously... it would be cool if you could link banners to posters so that I can have "Now Playing" linked to movies I own and "Coming Soon" linked by default to downloaded posters. I'm sure I'm in the minority that my system isn't linked to a media player, so I have no other logical way to trigger the Now Playing banner.
- Dave

Last edited by dth122; 03-01-2016 at 07:26 PM.
post #1791 of 2897 Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll also reiterate a related feature request I made previously... it would be cool if you could link banners to posters so that I can have "Now Playing" linked to movies I own and "Coming Soon" linked by default to downloaded posters. I'm sure I'm in the minority that my system isn't linked to a media player, so I have no other logical way to trigger the Now Playing banner.
- Dave
You can do this already, but its a bit of a manual process at the moment. Find the .nfo file in the cache for the poster you want to have the now playing header and edit it with a text editor. The file is really just xml, if you're familiar with it. You need to edit the line for the header element.

Valid options are:

<header>Now Playing</header>
<header>Welcome</header>
<header>Coming Soon</header>

The options are case sensitive, so be careful to enter them exactly. If the data isn't recognized, the default will be shown.
I am working on building an editor into the webremote for modifying things like this a lot more easily, but its not done yet.
post #1792 of 2897 Old 03-05-2016, 10:44 AM

I finally got a RPi Gen 2 Model B prep'd with clean Rasbian OS install.

Unless someone has a better idea I plan to use this guide to install multiple browsers for testing of the new HTML5 client when available. Be sure to scroll down to the Conclusion section for more browsers.
http://computers.tutsplus.com/articl...-pi--mac-60717

I have multiple RPi's in the house running Kodi so I'm not new to them. However, I am new to using the raw Rasbian OS and browsers. Any tips I would be most grateful.

Regarding testing the HTML5 version, as of Wednesday I'll be out of town on business and pleasure until Sunday night.

I have also ordered a RPi gen 3 model B in case gen2 is too slow, but it won't be here until sometime in April.

My Media Center
www.CaptainKen.us
post #1793 of 2897 Old 03-05-2016, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Meyer64, you read my mind. I was just looking at the wall of my soon-to-be-a-home theater and thinking it'd be cool to have a monitor or TV as an electronic movie poster, and wondering how hard it would be to write the software for it...and when I did a search here on the AVS Forums, this enormous thread popped up and it turns out you've already done it!!! Fantastic.

I have a question for those of you who have built custom frames for your MPA displays...where are you putting the buttons? You know, those little beggars that turn the display on or off or do other things? This is pretty important for me, because the display I'm planning to use is a 27" Samsung computer monitor, not a TV...and it doesn't have a remote. What it does have is a row of buttons...
post #1794 of 2897 Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 827
You could solder a washer to a metal shaft and drill the wood frame to create a 2 step hole, ten insert a lightweight spring over the shaft, between the wood frame on the monitor.

Or you could use a wood dowel for the shaft, and glue a washer.... if you want to keep the wood look.

Or you could simply wire in an electrical box behind the hdtv, as power and wire that box to a light switch. Then jumper the on/off switch of the monitor to always on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buttons.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1296617  
post #1795 of 2897 Old 03-06-2016, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hey meyer64 does the current version work with Jarvis? I see connected but when play something the Now Playing and poster isn't coming up.
post #1796 of 2897 Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
You could solder a washer to a metal shaft and drill the wood frame to create a 2 step hole, ten insert a lightweight spring over the shaft, between the wood frame on the monitor.

Or you could use a wood dowel for the shaft, and glue a washer.... if you want to keep the wood look.

Or you could simply wire in an electrical box behind the hdtv, as power and wire that box to a light switch. Then jumper the on/off switch of the monitor to always on.
Thanks Tedd...that might be possible. In my case, the buttons are on the front bezel of the monitor. If I take the guts out of the plastic case, I may be able to relocate the buttons to the side of a frame. Or maybe I'll give up the idea of the computer monitor as a bad idea and look for a TV.
post #1797 of 2897 Old 03-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Help!

Using the latest KODI (Jarvis) and MP 2.1 ... how can I tell MP to use only the posters that KODI is showing?

-Colton
post #1798 of 2897 Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
Hey meyer64 does the current version work with Jarvis? I see connected but when play something the Now Playing and poster isn't coming up.
Same here. :-(

Nevermind. It's working now. (KODI Jarvis 16.0 with MoviePoster 2.1). All the Now Playing posters are using the KODI posters. If you get a black screen, just play the movie once
and it should display on the MoviePoster display.

-Colton

Last edited by Colton; 03-06-2016 at 08:49 AM.
post #1799 of 2897 Old 03-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Same here. :-(

Nevermind. It's working now. (KODI Jarvis 16.0 with MoviePoster 2.1). All the Now Playing posters are using the KODI posters. If you get a black screen, just play the movie once
and it should display on the MoviePoster display.

-Colton
For me it the MP doesn't seem to even try to switch to Now Playing.
post #1800 of 2897 Old 03-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
For me it the MP doesn't seem to even try to switch to Now Playing.
I spoke too soon. Tested again and some posters just show a black screen. After awhile, MP stops displaying (cycling) the Coming Soon posters and only shows the theater name. Not sure what could be causing this issue. Lastly, I thought I fixed the problem with it showing different posters instead of the KODI posters ... still doesn't show the poster I'm using for KODI.

Meyer, any suggestions?

-Colton

Last edited by Colton; 03-06-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page