MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 348Likes

post #2791 of 2880 Old 03-19-2019, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Did you get the serial #, enter it into the software, then restart the machine?
yes I did enter the serial and after several restarts on on the webview pc it updated and is working. The only issue I can't seem to get to work is the manual now playing feature. It will rotate through coming soon posters all day but when I try to select a poster and hit manual now playing it never works?

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
BIC Acoustech 7.2 Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2880 Old 03-26-2019, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Deviceidtowatch

Hey guys,

Has anyone figured out a way to only watch say an IP address rather than a "deviceIDToWatch"? A friend also uses a shield like i do and my movie posters won't display correctly. I'd hate to cut him off so i could have my posters haha. Any help would be great.

I love this product!!
post #2793 of 2880 Old 03-26-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Shield version of MoviePoster is available???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 2880 Old 03-29-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
This software is very cool! I have it installed and running. I'm only running into one issue. I can't seem to get new posters. It downloaded a few from newer movies but when I go to add new posters I do a search and nothing comes back. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
post #2795 of 2880 Old 03-29-2019, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mladams922 View Post
This software is very cool! I have it installed and running. I'm only running into one issue. I can't seem to get new posters. It downloaded a few from newer movies but when I go to add new posters I do a search and nothing comes back. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
I managed to fix it. I just had to reboot and for some reason that resolved it.
post #2796 of 2880 Old 03-29-2019, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Colton View Post
The Shield version of MoviePoster is available???

What do you mean shield version? I have kodi 18 and it works with my shield TVs. I have movieposter installed on windows PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2797 of 2880 Old 03-30-2019, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Popping back in after some time to check how things are going. I've been putting some more work/thought into my project and it's nearing actual progress. I am running 2.3.0.3 as I believe that is the most current?

Here is the model of the display as it will be soon built and hung. I'm curious if some of those who've had their unit up for a bit have some ideas on a couple issues I'm working out.

First, I'm using an Arduino nano to run the marquee lights. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the nano, on start-up, to send an IR signal to a display to turn on? And subsequently to send an IR signal to the TV to turn off when powered off?

Has the web-remote received any update? The 2 functions I'm really looking for is to be able to push any local or cached poster from the web remote manager to the display and also have an always visible "pause" button along the top. This way I can start/stop the posters at any time.

Last, any other ideas/options for powering on your displays in a more remote manner than using physical remotes pointed at them or the button on the units?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital Poster 04.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	740.4 KB
ID:	2546180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital Poster 05.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	687.5 KB
ID:	2546182  
post #2798 of 2880 Old 03-30-2019, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just started trying to get this working. I'm a little stuck with the multimonitor settings for using this. I'm using Kodi on windows7 on a NUC that has 2 display outputs. I'm using hdmi as the primary display for movie/desktop to my TV and the miniDP output running to a 27" monitor trying to get this going. For the life of me I can't get the poster to stay on the second monitor! I can't find what settings I should have in windows + the app. The poster seems to start up at 0,0 on the main display but I want it on the secondary display (obviously). I can drag the app over to the 2nd display, maximize it and it works great but after a restart its snapped back to 0,0 upper left corner of the primary display. I've tried both the stable and dev versions with no difference.

I only have 1 DisplayID. Under "Show on monitor" i can select \\.\DISPLAY1 or \\.\DISPLAY2 but it never moves changing those settings. I'm very knowledgeable in this stuff and this has me feeling very stupid.
post #2799 of 2880 Old 04-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemulasri View Post
What do you mean shield version? I have kodi 18 and it works with my shield TVs. I have movieposter installed on windows PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In all seriousness.... How do you have yours working?

Several of us (including the developer) are having issues with getting Kodi 18 to work properly with the Shield TV (I would gather it is with all Android TV platforms). There is the "Now Playing Black Screen" issues.

I too have a Shield TV and Movie Poster app running on a PC. I have poured over the issue and have come up with no solution to solve this problem.

Could you please provide some insight into your setup (ex hardware, maybe even some screenshots of your settings) so the rest of us may be able to get ours working too?

Thanks in advance!
post #2800 of 2880 Old 04-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny14o View Post
In all seriousness.... How do you have yours working?

Several of us (including the developer) are having issues with getting Kodi 18 to work properly with the Shield TV (I would gather it is with all Android TV platforms). There is the "Now Playing Black Screen" issues.

I too have a Shield TV and Movie Poster app running on a PC. I have poured over the issue and have come up with no solution to solve this problem.

Could you please provide some insight into your setup (ex hardware, maybe even some screenshots of your settings) so the rest of us may be able to get ours working too?

Thanks in advance!
Sure i am out of town right now and will definitely post next week after i go back. I have not changed anything in the last year or so. I turned on last week and it was working. It could be because, I have not played any new movies recently and the movie i was playing last weekend was a repeat and it might have already had that in the cache. This had happened to me in the past and I just tried creating the folder in the cache and restart and it worked. Not sure exactly why but it was working last week. I will check next week and update if that is still the case. I will try a new movie that i never played and see the behaviour.
Johnny14o likes this.
post #2801 of 2880 Old 04-04-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemulasri View Post
Sure i am out of town right now and will definitely post next week after i go back. I have not changed anything in the last year or so. I turned on last week and it was working. It could be because, I have not played any new movies recently and the movie i was playing last weekend was a repeat and it might have already had that in the cache. This had happened to me in the past and I just tried creating the folder in the cache and restart and it worked. Not sure exactly why but it was working last week. I will check next week and update if that is still the case. I will try a new movie that i never played and see the behaviour.
Fantastic! Thanks for helping out with this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #2802 of 2880 Old 04-05-2019, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Hello everyone. It seems that I have neglected to keep to keep up on this thread. I'm glad you've all been having fun without me
I am finishing up a new dev build which addresses a few issues, mainly the "kodi black screen now playing issue"
I am currently traveling for work but hope to get it posted in the next couple days.
post #2803 of 2880 Old 04-05-2019, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus Rules View Post
Popping back in after some time to check how things are going. I've been putting some more work/thought into my project and it's nearing actual progress. I am running 2.3.0.3 as I believe that is the most current?

Here is the model of the display as it will be soon built and hung. I'm curious if some of those who've had their unit up for a bit have some ideas on a couple issues I'm working out.

First, I'm using an Arduino nano to run the marquee lights. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the nano, on start-up, to send an IR signal to a display to turn on? And subsequently to send an IR signal to the TV to turn off when powered off?

Has the web-remote received any update? The 2 functions I'm really looking for is to be able to push any local or cached poster from the web remote manager to the display and also have an always visible "pause" button along the top. This way I can start/stop the posters at any time.

Last, any other ideas/options for powering on your displays in a more remote manner than using physical remotes pointed at them or the button on the units?
I actually build a device that can power on/off your display based on motion. You can check it out here. http://movieposterapp.com/products.html I'm very low on components at the moment , but feel free to shoot me a message if you are interested. Personally, I think its great. I haven't manually powered my screen on or off in a very long time. Its on when I'm in the area and off when I'm not. I'm sure you can do it with a nano if your handy with those sort of things.

When in the cache page, there are two ways that you can send a poster to the display. simply clicking the poster in the list will sent it to the primary displaygroup. or you can use the options menu to send it to a specific displaygroup in you have more than one.
I can add a pause toggle button to any page in the webremote without too much trouble. For consistency I'll probably add it to the 'actions' menu thats in the top right. you'd be able to slide out the menu and pause without needing to go back to the remote page.
post #2804 of 2880 Old 04-05-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvohasek View Post
Hey guys,

Has anyone figured out a way to only watch say an IP address rather than a "deviceIDToWatch"? A friend also uses a shield like i do and my movie posters won't display correctly. I'd hate to cut him off so i could have my posters haha. Any help would be great.

I love this product!!
You should be able to change the name of the device in the plex settings so you can modify the name of yours to be unique. The method varies a bit depending on your device, and I dont have my Shield handy at the moment, but it should be in the settings somewhere.
post #2805 of 2880 Old 04-05-2019, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post
I actually build a device that can power on/off your display based on motion. You can check it out here. http://movieposterapp.com/products.html I'm very low on components at the moment , but feel free to shoot me a message if you are interested. Personally, I think its great. I haven't manually powered my screen on or off in a very long time. Its on when I'm in the area and off when I'm not. I'm sure you can do it with a nano if your handy with those sort of things.

When in the cache page, there are two ways that you can send a poster to the display. simply clicking the poster in the list will sent it to the primary displaygroup. or you can use the options menu to send it to a specific displaygroup in you have more than one.
I can add a pause toggle button to any page in the webremote without too much trouble. For consistency I'll probably add it to the 'actions' menu thats in the top right. you'd be able to slide out the menu and pause without needing to go back to the remote page.
Thanks for the response. I haven't been able to get the poster push to work in the browser but I'll tinker with it some more. For the pause button I think maybe some basic controls on the top bar of any screen would be perfect. A play/pause button, next and previous poster buttons. Just so anyplace you are in the web browser you can quickly hit those few keys.

*** After testing a bit more I guess I should clarify that I can't seem to push a poster to the display from the user posters lists. I manage and curate everything manually so I have the posters I want and not what ever happens to be downloaded on that particular day.

I'd also note that the buttons to pause/play the posters being a slide toggle can be tricky to use, especially when on a touch interface. A simpler double-click/tap button would work much easier.

Also discovered that the TV I'd intended to use asn't going to fit as planned as I'd miss-measured the available space. And then the TV decided to not even turn on when I tried to further test things. Ugh!

Last edited by Batiatus Rules; 04-06-2019 at 03:17 AM.
post #2806 of 2880 Old 04-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I have a few questions about trailers. I found the FAQ on the developer's website that indicated I can drop a trailer in the appropriate folder named whatever-trailer and it will play. I see that some trailers that I copied have been renamed by the software, which is fine with me. However, I don't see any of the .mov trailers being renamed, only some of the .mp4 trailers have been renamed.

Does the software support .mov trailer files?

Also, under settings - > trailer options, can someone explain the "Frequency slider". Is 0 no trailers and 10 all trailers?

Thanks!

Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 04-10-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #2807 of 2880 Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hello everyone. It seems that I have neglected to keep to keep up on this thread. I'm glad you've all been having fun without me
I am finishing up a new dev build which addresses a few issues, mainly the "kodi black screen now playing issue"
I am currently traveling for work but hope to get it posted in the next couple days.

Just a heads up, the black screen now playing is also an issue with emby...
post #2808 of 2880 Old 04-09-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just to add to the discussion. I am successfully running movieposter on a pc connected to NVIDIA shield pro using kodi 17.6. When I tried kodi 18 I do get a black screen but 17.6 works great.
post #2809 of 2880 Old 04-10-2019, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 2
meyer where will you be uploading the latest version to?
post #2810 of 2880 Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by enovison View Post
Just to add to the discussion. I am successfully running movieposter on a pc connected to NVIDIA shield pro using kodi 17.6. When I tried kodi 18 I do get a black screen but 17.6 works great.

Does your NOW PLAYING posters work? When I start a movie, it doesn't switch to the playing movie poster with the Shield TV. I"m running Kodi 18.1.
post #2811 of 2880 Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Colton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enovison View Post

Does your NOW PLAYING posters work? When I start a movie, it doesn't switch to the playing movie poster with the Shield TV. I"m running Kodi 18.1.
Yes, my now playing posters work great, but only if I run kodi 17.6.
post #2812 of 2880 Old 04-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can confirm as follows
Running on PC

2.3.0.3 Dev (2-18-2018) & Kodi 18 Not showing now playing poster
2.3.0.3 Dev (2-18-2018) & Kodi 18 Not showing now playing poster

MoviePoster 2.2.0.1 & Kodi 18 Not showing now playing poster
MoviePoster 2.2.0.1 & Kodi 17.6 Showing now playing poster no problem
post #2813 of 2880 Old 04-19-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
I'm working on it today using my nVidia Shield as a test player since I know several folks were having trouble specifically with that device. Its going well so far. There are still some tweaks needed and its not utilizing the cache yes, but I do have my dev build pulling artwork from Kodi. I've been very busy with work lately and its not looking like that will change soon, so I'll likely publish what I have by the end of the weekend to give you all a chance to test and provide feedback.
Hi @meyer64 , do you have a link to the new dev build by chance? Looks like OSMC with KODI 18 is set to drop in a few days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 2 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #2814 of 2880 Old 04-19-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Delete - responded to very old post.
post #2815 of 2880 Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 102
So what kind of display do you use ? Because most residential TVs can only be mounted in landscape mode .
Can Samsung frame TV be mounted in portrait mode ?
Or how about this digital signage display:
https://www.samsung.com/latin_en/bus...lh46pecplbaza/

Can this be used without any additional PC attached to the TV ?

Thanks
post #2816 of 2880 Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
So what kind of display do you use ? Because most residential TVs can only be mounted in landscape mode .

Thanks
The Movie Poster software has OUTPUT settings on displaying via Landscape/Portrait. So I would think that any TV will work.

That being said, I am using a Samsung DM32E for my display.
post #2817 of 2880 Old 04-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
The Movie Poster software has OUTPUT settings on displaying via Landscape/Portrait. So I would think that any TV will work.

That being said, I am using a Samsung DM32E for my display.
Thanks for the reply
But traditionally all movie posters are in portrait mode so it destroys the whole theater feel to have them in landscape mode in my opinion .
And if you display traditional poster on TV mounted in horizontal mode there will be big blank areas on the side ai guess. And then I don’t know if any residential TV that comes with a mount to install it in portrait mode ?
The link I posted for PEC series has built in video processor etc , do we still need to have a small PC attached to that display ?

Thanks
post #2818 of 2880 Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Will intel mini PC like this be sufficient ?

W5 Pro Mini PC Intel Atom Z8350 Windows 10 Computer Stick 4GB DDR 64GB eMMC Support 4K HD,Duan Band WiFi,BT 4.2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MB9TC33..._DjuVCbT1W9FPT
post #2819 of 2880 Old 04-22-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply
But traditionally all movie posters are in portrait mode so it destroys the whole theater feel to have them in landscape mode in my opinion .
And if you display traditional poster on TV mounted in horizontal mode there will be big blank areas on the side ai guess. And then I don’t know if any residential TV that comes with a mount to install it in portrait mode ?
The link I posted for PEC series has built in video processor etc , do we still need to have a small PC attached to that display ?

Thanks
I never said to put the TV in Landscape mode, I would have figured you would be mounting it in Portrait like everyone else.

Almost all TV mounts are able to hold your monitor in a landscape or portrait configuration. Most of the bolt patterns are perfect square, therefore rotating your display 90° should be no biggie. If your bolt pattern is NOT a perfect square, most universal mounts (even the ones with a flat plate that mounts to the back of the display) have flexibility in the bolt pattern.
Monoprice is a good option for wall mounts. I went with one of the "Digital Signage" mounts (LINKY) because it mounted closer to the wall than most. Measure the bolt pattern on your display and find a mount that will accommodate it.

As for the video processor vs small PC.... you will need a small PC. I am using a VORKE v1 mini PC, but most of the PC Sticks will work (like the one mani quoted above). Processing power is minimal for the Movie Poster software to work, BUT storage space is probably the most important concern. If you use a PC stick, make sure it will accept something like a microSD card for storage expansion.
post #2820 of 2880 Old 04-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply

Thanks
I never said to put the TV in Landscape mode, I would have figured you would be mounting it in Portrait like everyone else.

Almost all TV mounts are able to hold your monitor in a landscape or portrait configuration. Most of the bolt patterns are perfect square, therefore rotating your display 90° should be no biggie. If your bolt pattern is NOT a perfect square, most universal mounts (even the ones with a flat plate that mounts to the back of the display) have flexibility in the bolt pattern.
Monoprice is a good option for wall mounts. I went with one of the "Digital Signage" mounts (LINKY) because it mounted closer to the wall than most. Measure the bolt pattern on your display and find a mount that will accommodate it.

As for the video processor vs small PC.... you will need a small PC. I am using a VORKE v1 mini PC, but most of the PC Sticks will work (like the one mani quoted above). Processing power is minimal for the Movie Poster software to work, BUT storage space is probably the most important concern. If you use a PC stick, make sure it will accept something like a microSD card for storage expansion.
Thanks for the input
Has anyone used Samsung Frame TV for this ? I like the fact that they can be flush mounted like a painting . I want to be able to use their art library in portrait mode when theater is not in use . I can’t see on their website or user manual that they can be flush mounted in portrait mode or they have any art in the library to be displayed in that mode .

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page