MoviePoster - Virtual movie poster display software. - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 348Likes

post #2821 of 2897 Old 04-22-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wish there was a YouTube video tutorial for this. I am not computer tech Savy but would love to have this set up. Would love to add this to my poster wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black no border.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	2556796   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC man cave entrance.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	2556798  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2897 Old 04-22-2019, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Will intel mini PC like this be sufficient ?
Yes, comfortably. One of those sticks (mine is lower spec than that) works fine.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #2823 of 2897 Old 04-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Will intel mini PC like this be sufficient ?
Yes, comfortably. One of those sticks (mine is lower spec than that) works fine.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2824 of 2897 Old 04-25-2019, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hmm, I am stuck at displaying the actual poster.

First of all, thanks for the tool! This seems nice.

I have it running on the machine which is also running KODI, and it's seems to work for 95%.
The tool is connected, and is showing the title of the movie which is "now playing" including the progress bar and and time remaining,

But it will not show met the actual poster.

(sorry for being in Trail version still... if I get it working a donation will surely come your way)

Anyone has an idea about the problem?

- Firewall disabled
- Both Kodi and MoviePoster are run as Admin
- Rebooted, restarted
- No warnings.

post #2825 of 2897 Old 04-25-2019, 02:25 AM

Sorry it seems I am not allowed to edit my post.

EXTRA INFO: If no movie is playing, it does show me random movie posters. It only doesn't work with Now Playing.
post #2826 of 2897 Old 04-25-2019, 03:03 AM

Oww, I figured it out I think.

It is working perfectly with KODI 17
It stops working in KODI 18

Let me test some thing before coming back here
post #2827 of 2897 Old 04-25-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I think this is a known issue with Kodi 18. I remember seeing a post saying it's being worked on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2828 of 2897 Old 04-26-2019, 05:27 PM
prs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just finished building these and thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3364.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	2558606   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3362.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	2558608  
post #2829 of 2897 Old 04-27-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by prs View Post
Just finished building these and thought I'd share.

Those look very nice. A few inquiries,

How big are the displays?

Are the lights static or can you program them to chase?

What is your set-up for running the displays?

I am unfortunately putting my project on the back burner again as the TV I had procured ended up not working when I went to test it. It was working fine a few months ago when I brought it home but now.... nothing. And it wasn't used at all after the initial test. Can't complain too much as the price was right, just disappointed.
post #2830 of 2897 Old 04-27-2019, 12:50 PM
prs

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus Rules View Post
Those look very nice. A few inquiries,

How big are the displays?

Are the lights static or can you program them to chase?

What is your set-up for running the displays?

I am unfortunately putting my project on the back burner again as the TV I had procured ended up not working when I went to test it. It was working fine a few months ago when I brought it home but now.... nothing. And it wasn't used at all after the initial test. Can't complain too much as the price was right, just disappointed.

I bought a couple of these LG 49" displays from Sams Club https://www.samsclub.com/sams/lg-49i...rod22522468.ip

I am running the software on a dedicated small sized computer from Shuttle. I have two HDMI cables routed to the displays through the wall to the computer.

Specs:

DH270 Customize System
[Intel Kaby Lake Processor (S):Intel® Core™ i7-7700 Processor 8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz]
[Memory (S):16GB DDR4 Memory Module SODIMM]
[Storage - Solid State Drive (SSD):240GB 2.5" SSD]
[Operating System:Windows 10 Professional]
[Wireless:802.11 ac/b/g/n with Bluetooth 4.2 M.2]
[Warranty:Included - 3 Year Manufacturer Limited Warranty]

Lights are static no chasing.

If I had it to do over again, I would find a much thinner TVs. These displays needed over three inches of frame around them to make the frames flush with the wall. Frame was built out in 3/4" stock, so overall each weighs around 40 lbs.
post #2831 of 2897 Old 04-27-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Returned to KODI 17.6 to get Movie Poster "Now Playing" to work.

Movies running off Nvidia Shield TV. (192.168.1.15)

Movie Poster running on dedicated PC. (192.168.1.220)

The Movie Poster display shows the "Coming Soon" posters, but I can't seem to get the "Now Playing" to work when starting a movie on Shield TV (KODI).

Movie Poster server is set to 127.0.0.1

I checked KODI advance settings and turned on control over HTTP.

Not sure what I'm missing, but I'll keep researching the forum.
post #2832 of 2897 Old 04-28-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Hey guys,

I have a small problem that I am not sure I can overcome without some major demolition but I am hoping someone can see something I may have missed.

This is the wall where I want to put my MoviePoster display. BTW, this is from the construction phase so the home is already completed and moved in.

As you can see there is a stud right down the middle and another one 16" to the left of center, but none to the right.

Would it be possible to safely and securely mount a 43"-55" TV on the wall with a mount if the one of the studs is off center? Of course I want the TV smack in the middle of the wall.

I was thinking about using this monoprice mount since it allows you to mount it to a single stud but I didn't think two bolts would be enough to secure all that weight.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24267

There is also this one that stretches to the left stud but there would be nothing on the right of center.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24268

Any suggestions or should I just give up on this one since the wife will NOT allow me to tear the wall open just to add another stud?

Thanks
post #2833 of 2897 Old 04-28-2019, 06:05 PM

Bolting a mount to a single stud should hold the weight of most LCD TVs you'd be using for this project. Just secure the mount to the non-stud side with good quality drywall anchors. The vast majority of the weight will be held by the stud itself.

that being said, for best piece of mind you can cut open the drywall between the 2 other studs and mount a cross board without doing too much damage. Couldn't find a video but depending on what the finish to the wall looks like it's really just cutting out a rectangle of drywall beyond each stud, insert the 2X4 and screw in to the vertical studs and put back a drywall patch. Muding and taping the repair is the part I struggle with but then paint and nobody will know.
Killroy likes this.
post #2834 of 2897 Old 04-28-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Do you actually need to center the digital movie poster display? (You don't need to tear out drywall either, but that's an option if you really want to.)

I look at that section of wall, and think why not a nice 3D texture feature wall, with the hdtv to the right hand side, and maybe some standoff lettering,
floating off the 3D feature wall, such as the theater's name? I've looked at inexpensive feature wall ideas for a small area as such, and have come up with
3D MDF wave panels, or simple stencilled movie quotes, or even some fake brick wall. You do have a bit of depth there, to actually build finishes out from
the drywall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	feature wall.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	594.6 KB
ID:	2559700  
post #2835 of 2897 Old 04-28-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus Rules View Post
Bolting a mount to a single stud should hold the weight of most LCD TVs you'd be using for this project. Just secure the mount to the non-stud side with good quality drywall anchors. The vast majority of the weight will be held by the stud itself.

that being said, for best piece of mind you can cut open the drywall between the 2 other studs and mount a cross board without doing too much damage. Couldn't find a video but depending on what the finish to the wall looks like it's really just cutting out a rectangle of drywall beyond each stud, insert the 2X4 and screw in to the vertical studs and put back a drywall patch. Muding and taping the repair is the part I struggle with but then paint and nobody will know.
Those snaptoggle anchors would work perfect for my set up. I had seen them but neve thought about using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Do you actually need to center the digital movie poster display? (You don't need to tear out drywall either, but that's an option if you really want to.)

I look at that section of wall, and think why not a nice 3D texture feature wall, with the hdtv to the right hand side, and maybe some standoff lettering,
floating off the 3D feature wall, such as the theater's name? I've looked at inexpensive feature wall ideas for a small area as such, and have come up with
3D MDF wave panels, or simple stencilled movie quotes, or even some fake brick wall. You do have a bit of depth there, to actually build finishes out from
the drywall.
The space on that wall is only 50" wide. So even a 43" TV would use up most of that space. I think I measured it for a 50" TV with a nice wooden frame or a 55" one without any frame.
post #2836 of 2897 Old 04-28-2019, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you mounting the hdtv horizontally or vertically? This is for movie posters and not for regular tv viewing, correct? A rotated hdtv would be much taller but narrower.
My 43" LG hdtv has a wide aluminum frame and it is about 2' wide and just over 3' tall with it's ninety degree rotation.

A small space is exactly what I envision a feature wall for. I want to extend some wow factor outside of a black hole of a home theater. And keep it cheap and cost effective.

If that hdtv is not rotated, then are you doing dedicated poster artwork (like me)?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	water cut dimensions.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	2559742   Click image for larger version

Name:	digital movie poster snaps.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	894.0 KB
ID:	2559744  
post #2837 of 2897 Old 04-29-2019, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Update:

Fixed the problem. Forgot to check "Active" for the KODI plugin in MoviePoster. Working now.
post #2838 of 2897 Old 04-29-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Are you mounting the hdtv horizontally or vertically? This is for movie posters and not for regular tv viewing, correct? A rotated hdtv would be much taller but narrower.
My 43" LG hdtv has a wide aluminum frame and it is about 2' wide and just over 3' tall with it's ninety degree rotation.

A small space is exactly what I envision a feature wall for. I want to extend some wow factor outside of a black hole of a home theater. And keep it cheap and cost effective.

If that hdtv is not rotated, then are you doing dedicated poster artwork (like me)?
Vertically of course... I was going to use a 3" wooden frame around the TV. A 50" is about 25" wide when mounted portrait and a 55" is about 30" so adding about 6" of frame to the total width I have about 9" on each side for the 50" and 7" for the 55".

My main concern was the mounting/weight, with the single stud, and since it seems that is no longer an issue I may just go with the bigger set.

Thanks guys.
post #2839 of 2897 Old 04-29-2019, 09:38 AM

I just found this program and it is exactly what I was looking for. I am using version 2.3.0.4. I tried the different versions, but I seem to have the same issue regardless on both of my questions. My two questions are that:

I want to limit the ratings, and every time I select the ratings I want, I keep getting R rated movies into the movie poster cache, even though I clear it out and try building the database again.

The other question I have, is that I am having issues with connecting PLEX with this program.

Thanks for the help.

Emilio
post #2840 of 2897 Old 04-30-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Killroy, you could put up a piece of plywood over the drywall and create a whole wall surface to nail or screw to, and not need to worry about hitting studs. Now that would mean
you want a finish over the plywood but that could be anything from painted anaglypta wallpaper, to wood forms or even a couple of boxes of end of line wood floor, to tile, to brick,
to mdf wave wall, or anything else you can come up with.

One of the simpler detailing ideas I have thought about for my small feature wall is to simply cut some angled lines in a sheet of drywall, and paint it. You do have a lot of area behind
those hdtv sets, to screw to studs, to create a surface to screw to.

And if you shimmed the tv frame out from the wall, you can leave the bottom and top open for ventilation, while creating depth for the tv's electrical plug. You also need some plan
for being to remove the lightbox, for any tv maintenance.
post #2841 of 2897 Old 04-30-2019, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
is the software no longer being updated?
post #2842 of 2897 Old 05-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
It seems as if most folks are using Kodi with this. Has there been any success utilizing Plex? I get a 'Not Authorized' error each time I try to connect to the server IP and the Plex user never stops testing. I'm running MoviePoster 2.3.0.4 and PMS 1.15.4.919. Thanks in advance!
Nexgen76 and jpickup like this.
post #2843 of 2897 Old 05-04-2019, 11:10 PM

Finally finally FINALLY put some plans into action. After mis-measurements and TVs suddenly not working and computers crashing FINALLY got something up on the wall.

Now putting the final touches on the frame design which is the next project. The HDMI wire will go away but so far uncertain which direction we will take with the power.

But for the moment I have 2 questions.

First, I still am not able to figure out how to push a local customer poster to the display. It just doesn't seem to want to work for me.

Second, is it possible and if so, how, to bring up the web remote on a different computer? One on the same network isn't an issue (thought remotely logging in would be sweet to) but my first attempts at this haven't been fruitfull.

And yes the program running hasn't been registered. The key has been purchased but wanting to ensure this is the equipment that will be running it before using up one of the 3 available install options.

Such and awesome program!!
Randybw1 likes this.
post #2844 of 2897 Old 05-08-2019, 09:07 PM

Plex NotAuthorized

Quote:
Originally Posted by themahoneys View Post
It seems as if most folks are using Kodi with this. Has there been any success utilizing Plex? I get a 'Not Authorized' error each time I try to connect to the server IP and the Plex user never stops testing. I'm running MoviePoster 2.3.0.4 and PMS 1.15.4.919. Thanks in advance!
Agreed. The app doesn't appear to be able to connect to plex if the plex server is logged into an account. I can't see where to provide either credentials or an X-Plex-Token, one of which would be required to access newer versions of plex server.
post #2845 of 2897 Old 05-09-2019, 05:11 PM

For starters we absolutely love this program. It was the finishing touch we needed for our home theater. At this point, we are just having a few minor issues that we are hoping someone could help us work through.
With each new poster that plays the cursor appears on the screen -even when the mouse is turned off. It disappears after a second or two but reappears with every poster change. When a trailer plays, the cursor shows up and stays in the middle of the screen the whole time. I can’t seem to figure out what to do to get rid of it.
The next problem is with the trivia slides. I downloaded them from Cinemavision. I then selected the folder in the suggested format and added to the trivia slides add on area. I have it selected to play slides on the web remote and upped the frequency. They still are not showing up. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Once again, awesome program. Thanks for all the time and effort put into it!
post #2846 of 2897 Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Novice here.

Is it possible to have it display directly whatever is being played in my Oppo UDP-203?
post #2847 of 2897 Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
Got it. It was a firewall issue.
How were you able to resolve your firewall issue? I am trying to gain access to the web remote for a different network (or possibly internet based) device but thus far no luck. I'm not to knowledgeable wn it comes to firewalls and all that jazz.
post #2848 of 2897 Old 05-14-2019, 12:30 PM

Kodi 18 Support?

Has anyone heard anything about Kodi 18 support? I have been using an old Raspberry PI with just a screensaver with movie posters for mine. I just stumbled across this yesterday and see that 18 support is not there yet. It shows "Now playing, the name of the movie, start and stop times, but no poster. I know someone asked about this earlier, but haven't seen any updates on here, or the dev site.

Thanks
post #2849 of 2897 Old 05-14-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 153
@meyer64 mentioned a few weeks back that a new dev version was in the works. I think this one will function better with KODI 18.
robsch likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 2 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #2850 of 2897 Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
@meyer64 mentioned a few weeks back that a new dev version was in the works. I think this one will function better with KODI 18.
Thanks. I guess i need to go source 2-3 screens and have a few weekend projects. I wanted to make sure it would work before I made new ones to replace my old RPI systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page