HT Design Theater Seating - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 323Likes

post #2101 of 2116 Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings View Post
I purchased a set of 2 Southamptons around 7 or 8 months ago and I have gone from being extremely satisfied with my purchase to flat out embarrassed.

I started out by really loving the chairs. They look fantastic. Other than some minor issues that were able to be worked out in customer service, I was flying high.

Fast forward a few months later and one of the chairs starts making an absolute horrifying noise. It took me a couple weeks to figure out, but I was able to determine that the seats themselves are rubbing against the frame of the chair that is lined with leather. It is leather on leather rubbing. If you slightly adjust the seat while reclining/declining you can soften the noise. The rubbing happens on the seat itself, the back of the seat, and the legs as well.

The seats are losing their shape after moderate use. (I sit in my chair about every other day and I am a 5'11" 190lb guy) The loss of shape is causing the rubbing.

I called customer service and they recommended using a paraffin wax on the leather to lubricate it to reduce the friction, which lets me know that they are aware of the problem (I'm going to call it a defect) and deflected instead of acknowledging it as a design problem. It literally has become an embarrassment for guests that come over and see these beautiful chairs but hear this ungodly sound.

I'm not sure what I expected customer service to do, but I feel I should let everyone in this thread know about this issue with the Southampton seats. (and possibly others that they carry) The worst part about all of this is that I waited about 2-3 years of convincing myself to buy home theater chairs over the internet. A very expensive lesson to learn. Buyer beware.
Can’t comment on the issue of your chairs loosing shape but using paraffin wax to stop leather on leather squeaking is not unique to this company. It is the solution recommended by many companies that sell leather reclining furniture. The leather on leather squeaking issue can happen with any leather reclining chairs from any company. My brother in law bought leather recliners from a local furniture store and had the same issue...they recommended the same fix.

Mark

Last edited by mjwagner; 06-11-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2116 Old 06-11-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I purchased a set of 2 Southamptons around 7 or 8 months ago and I have gone from being extremely satisfied with my purchase to flat out embarrassed.

I started out by really loving the chairs. They look fantastic. Other than some minor issues that were able to be worked out in customer service, I was flying high.

Fast forward a few months later and one of the chairs starts making an absolute horrifying noise. It took me a couple weeks to figure out, but I was able to determine that the seats themselves are rubbing against the frame of the chair that is lined with leather. It is leather on leather rubbing. If you slightly adjust the seat while reclining/declining you can soften the noise. The rubbing happens on the seat itself, the back of the seat, and the legs as well.

The seats are losing their shape after moderate use. (I sit in my chair about every other day and I am a 5'11" 190lb guy) The loss of shape is causing the rubbing.

I called customer service and they recommended using a paraffin wax on the leather to lubricate it to reduce the friction, which lets me know that they are aware of the problem (I'm going to call it a defect) and deflected instead of acknowledging it as a design problem. It literally has become an embarrassment for guests that come over and see these beautiful chairs but hear this ungodly sound.

I'm not sure what I expected customer service to do, but I feel I should let everyone in this thread know about this issue with the Southampton seats. (and possibly others that they carry) The worst part about all of this is that I waited about 2-3 years of convincing myself to buy home theater chairs over the internet. A very expensive lesson to learn. Buyer beware.
Post a video of the noise. So we can get a baseline of your situation. Then we can determine if it's normal or an "embarrassment".
post #2103 of 2116 Old 06-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Can’t comment on the issue of your chairs loosing shape but using paraffin wax to stop leather on leather squeaking is not unique to this company. It is the solution recommended by many companies that sell leather reclining furniture. The leather on leather squeaking issue can happen with any leather reclining chairs from any company. My brother in law bought leather recliners from a local furniture store and had the same issue...they recommended the same fix.
I get that. I do. I just don't think that these chairs should be losing shape and causing this type of noise after less than a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 2116 Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboperations View Post
Post a video of the noise. So we can get a baseline of your situation. Then we can determine if it's normal or an "embarrassment".
I'll do that later tonight or tomorrow.
post #2105 of 2116 Old 06-11-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Buyer beware message is a bit strong, you can see over 2000 posts on our seats not many issues and we solve them, did you ever call me as this is first I heard of your issue or try to solve the issue with us? or are you just trying to slam us on a online forum because you are frustrated. Next time give us a chance before lobbing a grenade.

It's not a defect it's just natural part of the chair reclining. My guys gave you the right solution to the issue as the paraffin wax does work. Leather rubbing on the sides of arms can cause some noise. Have you tried the paraffin wax? YES or NO?

If not try it and let me know if it does not work and I'll replace the chair if it's some other issue than the rubbing. I would be glad to send you the paraffin wax free it's only 9 bucks, if that does not solve it I replace the whole chair free.

Regards,
Alan

Last edited by HTmarket; 06-12-2019 at 07:07 AM.
post #2106 of 2116 Old 06-11-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Personally I would suggest that you wait till you get them and have had a chance to try them out a bit first. I know others have an issue but I don’t find the control lights an issue at all, even at night when my theater is 100% dark. A much bigger issue is the actual lighting inside the cup holder itself and the base lights. They are so bright they are unusable and we just keep them turned off.
I agree the back lights are just on the tiny little stick figures on our buttons that show recline controls. The reason they are back lit is to show you which control is up or down for either the headrest or recline function or the led light button, it's very dim. It should be ok without lightdims. If not lightdims will work for you.

We do have the "off" button for the led base lights and cupholder so keep that off during a movie.

Regards,
Alan
post #2107 of 2116 Old 06-12-2019, 12:23 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5499 Post(s)
Liked: 5083
Quote:
I called customer service and they recommended using a paraffin wax on the leather to lubricate it to reduce the friction, which lets me know that they are aware of the problem (I'm going to call it a defect) and deflected instead of acknowledging it as a design problem. It literally has become an embarrassment for guests that come over and see these beautiful chairs but hear this ungodly sound. A very expensive lesson to learn. Buyer beware.

This is a known leather on leather rubbing noise that is present in several brands of chairs that I've installed for my clients, including my own leather Berklines that I purchased over 12 years ago. The wax is a remedy so is baby powder. IMHO you are blowing the issue out of proportion and your comments just demonstrate your lack of experience with these types of chairs.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 06-12-2019 at 04:27 PM.
post #2108 of 2116 Old 06-13-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 40
HT Design Theater Seating

Delivered today. Absolutely beautiful and very comfortable. This is my family room as well so I went with the 3 seat sofa and loveseat. My new hand knotted rug arrived at the same time so perfect timing. Very happy. Thanks again, Alan. I am still waiting on your red polkadot tie to be delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Hitchman and HTmarket like this.

Last edited by Bkoo22; 06-13-2019 at 12:47 PM.
post #2109 of 2116 Old 06-14-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkoo22 View Post
Delivered today. Absolutely beautiful and very comfortable. This is my family room as well so I went with the 3 seat sofa and loveseat. My new hand knotted rug arrived at the same time so perfect timing. Very happy. Thanks again, Alan. I am still waiting on your red polkadot tie to be delivered.

Looks like Florida outside your deck...great set up for a media room. Shows our seats can be use in more room settings than dedicated rooms. That red tie is hard to find, I think I got the last one.

Thanks for the post and support.

Regards,
Alan
post #2110 of 2116 Old 06-14-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Pembroke Theater Seating From HT Design

I have been meaning to post this for some time, but now seems like a good time. I have about 18 months of use on three Pembroke theater chairs from HT and I am still extremely happy with this purchase. Incredibly comfortable and I love the adjustable headrest. I did visit the Chicago showroom and Alan was very helpful. I have an all black theater but have not been bothered by any of the chair lighting. The middle chair does get more use than the outside two but it still feels and looks the same as the outside ones. I haven't noticed any compromise to the structure of the chair with repeated use. Great value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011 (3).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2579890  
post #2111 of 2116 Old 06-16-2019, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 51
RE: Leather chairs making noise

My HT Market chairs (which I like VERY much) also make that naturally flatulent noise when leather rubs on leather. It's just a reality of the leather furniture, not a defect.

I prefer to think of the benefit, however, because they provide plausible deniability: "No, no, no, that's wasn't me. I was merely adjusting my recliner."

post #2112 of 2116 Old 06-16-2019, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I love the sound of leather farting. Its fine with me. It would be great if when it farted it smelled like brand new leather again but oh well. Only 1 week in but a happy camper.

Just an FYI to those who are considering loveseats or sofas, you will definitely need to zip tie the bottoms together. I actually zipped the bottom front and bottom back. Doesnt move at all now and the center seat still has room for my hand to slip through and recline.

post #2113 of 2116 Old 06-17-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1234 View Post
I have been meaning to post this for some time, but now seems like a good time. I have about 18 months of use on three Pembroke theater chairs from HT and I am still extremely happy with this purchase. Incredibly comfortable and I love the adjustable headrest. I did visit the Chicago showroom and Alan was very helpful. I have an all black theater but have not been bothered by any of the chair lighting. The middle chair does get more use than the outside two but it still feels and looks the same as the outside ones. I haven't noticed any compromise to the structure of the chair with repeated use. Great value.
Never got to see your theater till now it's really cool, thanks for posting. I am glad you still love your chairs.

Regards,
Alan
post #2114 of 2116 Old 06-17-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkoo22 View Post
I love the sound of leather farting. Its fine with me. It would be great if when it farted it smelled like brand new leather again but oh well. Only 1 week in but a happy camper.

Just an FYI to those who are considering loveseats or sofas, you will definitely need to zip tie the bottoms together. I actually zipped the bottom front and bottom back. Doesnt move at all now and the center seat still has room for my hand to slip through and recline.

Most of the time on a full wall to wall carpet you won't find much movement so zip ties probably need mostly with hardwood floor or tile.

Regards,
Alan
post #2115 of 2116 Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've had my Pembrokes for about two weeks now.. I got the curved 4 seater with the loveseat in the middle, for a living room setup.. So far, very happy with them.. I'll have to take some pics...

As far as the leather rubbing noise goes.. After watching quite a few videos of various chairs, I anticipated there being some noise, so I got myself some wax beforehand.. But when the chairs arrived, there's no leather rubbing noise at all.. Just the motor... Which isn't loud.. I have the wax in case they become noisy after breaking in a little, but so far, they're almost silent..

Now I'm just deciding whether or not I want to add bass shakers to them..
HTmarket likes this.
post #2116 of 2116 Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tension113 View Post
I've had my Pembrokes for about two weeks now.. I got the curved 4 seater with the loveseat in the middle, for a living room setup.. So far, very happy with them.. I'll have to take some pics...

As far as the leather rubbing noise goes.. After watching quite a few videos of various chairs, I anticipated there being some noise, so I got myself some wax beforehand.. But when the chairs arrived, there's no leather rubbing noise at all.. Just the motor... Which isn't loud.. I have the wax in case they become noisy after breaking in a little, but so far, they're almost silent..

Now I'm just deciding whether or not I want to add bass shakers to them..
Yes be sure to post some photos. There are a few posts of guys putting in some type of shaker in the seat.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
htmarket , southhampton , theater seating

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page