AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Theater Room Items & Accessories (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-theater-room-items-accessories/)
-   -   wall mounting bracket advice (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-theater-room-items-accessories/1775009-wall-mounting-bracket-advice.html)

captain.ralph 11-24-2014 04:18 PM

wall mounting bracket advice

I am looking for wall mounting bracket options for a 40lbs, 51" plasma that offers variable vertical spacing for bolting (as opposed to the common variable horizontal spacing) so that I can align the bracket's mounting holes with two horizontal mortar seems, as they are thicker than the vertical mortal seems, allowing for beefier bolts while still leaving the bricks undamaged. I plan on using molly bolts and have a few inches of space behind the brick to accommodate ones with a decent span, so I'm not worried about the bolts falling out of the weaker mortar vs. the brick.

If anyone knows or such wall mounts, please suggest.
Thanks

jayn_j 11-25-2014 06:35 AM

I don't know of any specific mount like you describe, although there are some drop down mounts that go forward and down to fit in front of a fireplace.

I would construct a plywood plate to screw into the mortar seams and then drill holes for threaded tee inserts to hold a conventional mount.

jautor 11-25-2014 10:26 AM

Most mounts allow for several inches of vertical positioning on the TV half of the mount. Depending on the size of the TV and the mount hole pattern, you can shift up/down using different vertical holes on the TV bracket.

captain.ralph 11-26-2014 12:55 PM

@jayn_j - thanks. I'll look into that and other alternatives to the mount itself, but plywood might not work as the side of the side of the wall the tv will be on half the width of the room and the other space is the entrance, so whatever is behind the TV will be pretty conspicuous.
@jautor - the vertical alignment of the TV itself isn't the issue, it's being able to line up the mounting holes on the wall-portion of bracket rather precisely with horizontal mortar seems rather than vertical seems/studs.

jautor 11-26-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain.ralph (Post 29369089)
the vertical alignment of the TV itself isn't the issue, it's being able to line up the mounting holes on the wall-portion of bracket rather precisely with horizontal mortar seems rather than vertical seems/studs.

Right, so line up the bracket where you want it, and then use the TV-side of the bracket to adjust the final position of the TV up/down a few inches. Or are you saying that the mortar joints aren't level enough to match the holes on the wall bracket?

olyteddy 11-26-2014 06:50 PM

I believe he's saying the vertical spacing of the wall bracket holes needs to match the vertical spacing of the mortar joints. If plywood won't work for you, perhaps you can fabricate some metal straps to attach the mount to.

jautor 11-27-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olyteddy (Post 29378841)
I believe he's saying the vertical spacing of the wall bracket holes needs to match the vertical spacing of the mortar joints. If plywood won't work for you, perhaps you can fabricate some metal straps to attach the mount to.

Ah - gotcha - it's a matter of matching the top and bottom pairs of mounting holes on the bracket. Yep, my point won't help... :(