Adding Karaoke to the Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-27-2015, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Adding Karaoke to the Home Theater

I'm looking to get Karaoke added to my home theater. You can see the build in the thread, but I have a stage that would be perfect for it.

I envisioned getting a wireless mic (or two) and using an iPad/Android Tablet to display the onscreen lyrics. I'm just curious about what is needed and how to tie it all together.

The sound system is driven by a Marantz SR5008. The rack is across the hall from the theater, so I need it to be completely wireless.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to make it happen?

Last edited by dhendriksen; 01-27-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-28-2015, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
We used SingStar on PS3 for karaoke in our last media room. It was a great party game, especially after a few cocktails. The wireless mics for the game aren't the best, but good enough for a party. New song downloads are cheap and easy, though. I'll have this back up in the bar for our new build.

I looked at doing a pro karaoke setup, but the cost was an order of magnitude more than SingStar. And the cost of decent wireless mics makes me cringe at the thought of party-goers handling them after a couple of beverages.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-28-2015, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
My biggest challenge is that I want to use a tablet as the display. Not the projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-28-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I'm guessing so that the performer's back is to the screen? If so, you're probably going to run into insurmountable issues with feedback, as your speakers are behind the performer.

The easiest thing I can think of for displaying using tablet-type video, would be building a custom music stand using a small monitor, then running cable to it. It'd be easy enough to do using an orchestral-type heavy base music stand (i.e., not a folding stand), with a vesa mount holding a small monitor on top.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-29-2015, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I subscribe to the karaoke service at karafun.com. I use a laptop to drive two screens (projector and small TV for the singer). Karafun is only $10 month and they have thousands of songs in their library. I'm not in any way affiliated with them.

Home theater speakers are really not good for live vocals. I run the laptop out to my home theater receiver for he music, and I have dedicated PA speakers for the vocals (connected to my wireless mic). I bought a compact PA system that includes the speakers and mixer. I bought a separate wireless mic set.

Having separate PA speakers allows you to avoid feedback. I have mine in the rear of the room facing the singers but far enough away that feedback is not a problem. And, because I'm using wireless mics, I don't have to worry about running mic cables to the stage.

If you are interested, I can look up the various model numbers.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-31-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Don't use your main system speakers or they might get fried. It is best to get pa speakers passive or active. Guitar center always has great deals and can get great input and try them all out.

Good luck
post #7 of 13 Old 01-31-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpk123 View Post
Don't use your main system speakers or they might get fried. It is best to get pa speakers passive or active. Guitar center always has great deals and can get great input and try them all out.

Good luck
I ended up picking up a Fender portable PA system for about $400 and it works like a champ for karaoke. It has the added benefit of being really easy to transport for various events -- kids birthday parties, small gigs, etc.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-01-2015, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Karaoke at home? Decide how good you want it to sound and then decide on a budget. Your basic system has a karaoke sound & video source (laptop, karaoke machine, etc.), a mixer of some sort to mix the music and the voices, microphones and a sound reinforcement system.

Laptop is your best bet, send the audio to a mixer and the output video to the TV/receiver. If you're looking to do it on the cheap youtube and an internet connected TV can do a pretty good job for general parties, lots of material up there. It isn't generally the best quality but if you're not a hardcore Karaoke fan then it's generally good enough. Songs are expensive for your library so a service that streams is a rather inexpensive way to sing.

Mixer is generally where everything comes together then goes out for reinforcement. Run your sources, microphones and Karaoke music, into it and run the outputs to your sound reinforcement system. pretty simple. Remember that your home thewater system is used with compressed audio so they're not made for unrestricted frequencies. The human voice has no such limiter on it so if you insist on using your theater system for a PA system you should get some sort of cpression on the system. You could try one of the Yamaha MG CX boards with built in compression on them. It's not the best in the world and you won't have a limiter but it should do well enough for it not to cook off your home theater system speakers with crazy screaming.

Microphones are totally subject to your budget. Inexpensive wireless mics will cost about the same as a two 40' cables and two SM58s. The wireless are moble and fun but expect a lot of handling noise and the potential for lots of feedback. The SM58s are the gold standard and are very tough. If your budget is huge get a good set of mics, they certainly make a difference in how you sound.

A separate PA system is the easiest and safest thing to setup. Generally 2 powered speakers and cabling.

As with everything start with a good specification for what you want to achieve and find the best solutions for that problem. Tradeoffs are going to need to be examined (eg: wireless microphones or better sounding mics) but stick to your vision and you can make smart decisions.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-06-2017, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Need Help in adding the karaoke to my home theatre

I'm looking to add a Karaoke to my Home Theater, my home theater consist of a receiver, a subwoofer and a pair of towers. I will be using all the karaoke songs from You Tube. Do i need to buy a seperate speaker to attach the Microphone or can i plug the Microphone to the reciever. I would prefer a cordless Microphone. Please let me know what do i need and how would i do it since i'm not a tech person. Thank you all in advance.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-07-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
I subscribe to the karaoke service at karafun.com. I use a laptop to drive two screens (projector and small TV for the singer). Karafun is only $10 month and they have thousands of songs in their library. I'm not in any way affiliated with them.

Home theater speakers are really not good for live vocals. I run the laptop out to my home theater receiver for he music, and I have dedicated PA speakers for the vocals (connected to my wireless mic). I bought a compact PA system that includes the speakers and mixer. I bought a separate wireless mic set.

Having separate PA speakers allows you to avoid feedback. I have mine in the rear of the room facing the singers but far enough away that feedback is not a problem. And, because I'm using wireless mics, I don't have to worry about running mic cables to the stage.

If you are interested, I can look up the various model numbers.
thank u sir that would be great, what P.A speakers do u have and what mixers and mic are u using, i'm kinda looking for the same kind of setup, my budget is not too much. is there anyway i can hook up the mic to my reciever. thanks
post #11 of 13 Old 02-07-2017, 05:48 PM

magic sing

Currently i'm using my Magic Sing Karaoke with my home theatre, is there any way i can plug in the magic sing in to my reciever just to connect the mic for singing and for karaoke video i'll be using the youtube on my T.V, if this is possible it would be great as it will save me some $$$ as i only use karaoke at my place once in 2-3 months. Thanks
post #12 of 13 Old 02-14-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostudd View Post
Currently i'm using my Magic Sing Karaoke with my home theatre, is there any way i can plug in the magic sing in to my reciever just to connect the mic for singing and for karaoke video i'll be using the youtube on my T.V, if this is possible it would be great as it will save me some $$$ as i only use karaoke at my place once in 2-3 months. Thanks
In my opinion, even if you can figure a way to hook a mic up to your receiver, it would not sound good at all. Run the music through your receiver but stick with a PA system for the vocals. If I were on a budget, I would get the following: this PA system from Monoprice for $166, 2 Behringer XM8500 microphones for $20/each, and 2 mic cables for $5/each. Total cost = $216. If you want to get fancy you can buy a pair of PA speaker stands for $35. As an added bonus, you can use the PA system for parties in the back yard.

If you wanted to go with wireless mics, it gets a little dicey in the sub-$100 range. It's actually hard to start getting real quality and durability under $200. But, for limited use, you can probably find something that is decent. You want UHF (vs. VHF) band wireless. Looking at the inexpensive options, this and this are the only two that catch my eye, and I can't vouch for either. Don't forget to get the appropriate XLR cable(s) to connect to the PA system (2 for the AWM and only 1 for the Pyle).

Last edited by ChadA; 02-14-2017 at 10:11 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please advise on my Setup plan.

Will use my Home theater for Music by Using Chromecast and Youtube for the Music and video on my TV.
Will use Powered Speaker and two Wireless microphone with a mixer for the Vocal.

Wondering if it will sound better where music goes to the speakers of the Home Theater and Vocals goes to the Powered Speaker??

Or will it sound better if music and vocal passes thru the mixer then the Powered Speaker. Please advise,, Thanks

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page