Karaoke using Home Theater system - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-13-2015, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Karaoke using Home Theater system

Ok, I am looking to get something simple and affordable so that we can entertain ourselves with some Karoake.

I want to be able to use my existing receiver and speakers for the music, but am unable to figure out a way to hook up a microphone to my receiver and to have it mixed with the audio playback from YouTube.

So....here is what I am thinking...

Get something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._cd_al_qh_dp_i

Then, using Chromecast, cast YouTube Karaoke channel to play on my projector while the audio is output to my speakers....
Then using the Karaoke machine to sing with the vocals coming out of the speaker of the Karaoke machine.

However, with this setup, I am not sure how the Karaoke machine (for vocals) and my Home Theater system speakers (for music) will blend.

So, I am sort of at a lose as to how I can achieve using my system at all. Seems to use just the Karaoke machine alone would not produce decent sound

I would like keep the expenses between 100.00 and 200.00.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 06:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 482 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6327 Post(s)
Liked: 6090
you need a Karaoke mixer that will take an audio track and mix with a microphone input. Just put it between your audio source and your receiver. They sell for around $100.

As an alternative source, aerobic studio gear mixes microphone and music sources all the time. Even wireless mics.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Doug,
I think you've got the right approach. I would strongly recommend against using your home theater speakers to playback live audio. I could never make it sound good, even with a mixer. And, I've heard that you could potentially damage your speakers.

But, instead of the karaoke player that you linked, I would suggest getting the best "PA Speaker System" that you can afford. Here are a couple of options that I found searching on Amazon. this and this and this.

Then, for karaoke content, I highly recommend Karafun. They offer a huge, updated catalog for a fairly reasonable monthly subscription ($10 or so). They have clients for PC, Macs, iOS and Android devices. I'm not sure about Android, but for iOS, you can stream the audio and graphics via Airplay.

Then, if you want to go crazy, you can add a smoke machine, laser & led lights and a disco ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
^^^ Thanks everyone....I have some thinking to do.

Wait.....Disco Ball!
post #5 of 7 Old 12-15-2015, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You will kill your hi fidelity speakers with the karaoke mixer. Only use PA speakers. Get a powered setup like this: http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PPHP1...837ME9HV2KTNV1
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2016, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Just stumbled across this powered PA set (two speakers and amp/mixer) at Monoprice for a really good price. Has decent reviews too.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have an older version of this: http://www.amazon.com/GRAND-VIDEOKE-...ds=WOW+Videoke

Its pretty nice. plug and play, 5000 built in songs, wireless mics, HDMI, etc. Its a little on the pricey side but for the real at home karaoke bar feel these rock. Mine has a book similar to you find when you hit a local karaoke happy hour. Someone can be singing with one mic and someone else can enter and reserve the next song with the other. you can reserve multiple songs in a row so its pretty non stop.

I am not sure the comment about not using your speakers while doing karaoke. You can control the volume through your AVR and I am not blasting this thing at some insane volume so what is there to worry about because I am in a basement not a huge bar. The system I have you can actually adjust the mic volume if you want to. I have a great time with mine. Not that I am reading about the new one it makes me want to craigslist mine and get this one. lol

George
Speakers: B&W 802N Fronts, B&W HTM1 Center, B&W CCM75 (x4) rears and surrounds, JTR Cap1400 (x2) Sub / Preamp: Marantz AV7701 / Amps: McIntosh MC8702 (center and rears), Emotiva XPA-1 (x2) for fronts / Bluray: Oppo 103D / Projector: Epson 5030UB / Screen: 120" Silver Ticket

Last edited by gmrankin; 01-06-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page