The Marantz SR7010 AV receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2016, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The Marantz SR7010 AV receiver

I have been looking at this unit as a major update to my system. In fact the heart of a new system. Every thing I have seen from retailers like Crutchfield, B&H an Best buy; for example, say it is top of line. when looking at the picture of the back panel, ONline, I see the binding post; an it looks like I can use Banana plugs placed straight in the center of the black or red twist cap. Is that right? I know that Yamaha uses post like that, an I wish all modern amps were that way.

Looking at the PDF owners manual from Marantz for the SR7010 only gives the instruction for bare wire (3/8 in max) with no mention that you can use banana plugs. However they do warn that bare wire leads can short. Especially if the copper is exposed or too long. I wold prefer neat terminated speaker cables into the unit. such as RCA or banana plugs to bare wire.

If during the remodel of the LR we run standard 5.1 or 5.2 and 4 added height channels; the SW's would be F-connector-RCA keystones and all other speakers, binding post pairs that also take banana plugs. using 12 AWG CL-2 with red and black conductors (KISS method). match red to red and black to black through out.

I would love to be able to use short 4 to 5 ft terminated cables from speakers to the wall outlets and from the AV main outlets to the receiver. I know I can from the speakers to their outlets (banana plugs on both ends) or (for SW RCA both ends). I also know from the main AV plates I can do the same from the main plates. However, do i bare wire the post or can i use banana plugs. at the recever?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L_sr7010_u_b_re.png
Views:	142
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1540481  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
You can use banana plugs at the receiver.

The manual for may Denon AVR-X4000 says nothing about banana plugs, but that hasn't stopped me from using them.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 295
While waiting for my SR7009 I decided to prepare my speaker wires with banana plugs for a neat look. After spending a lot of time researching I couldn't find anything I liked for a quality connection. I ended up skipping the banana plugs because a good reliable connection was more important to me than a neat one.

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgrayii View Post
I have been looking at this unit as a major update to my system. In fact the heart of a new system. Every thing I have seen from retailers like Crutchfield, B&H an Best buy; for example, say it is top of line. when looking at the picture of the back panel, ONline, I see the binding post; an it looks like I can use Banana plugs placed straight in the center of the black or red twist cap. Is that right? I know that Yamaha uses post like that, an I wish all modern amps were that way.

Looking at the PDF owners manual from Marantz for the SR7010 only gives the instruction for bare wire (3/8 in max) with no mention that you can use banana plugs. However they do warn that bare wire leads can short. Especially if the copper is exposed or too long. I wold prefer neat terminated speaker cables into the unit. such as RCA or banana plugs to bare wire.

If during the remodel of the LR we run standard 5.1 or 5.2 and 4 added height channels; the SW's would be F-connector-RCA keystones and all other speakers, binding post pairs that also take banana plugs. using 12 AWG CL-2 with red and black conductors (KISS method). match red to red and black to black through out.

I would love to be able to use short 4 to 5 ft terminated cables from speakers to the wall outlets and from the AV main outlets to the receiver. I know I can from the speakers to their outlets (banana plugs on both ends) or (for SW RCA both ends). I also know from the main AV plates I can do the same from the main plates. However, do i bare wire the post or can i use banana plugs. at the recever?
Welcome to avs. For future questions, we have an entire forum dedicated to receivers. Within that forum is the owners thread for your model

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html

Perfect place for all questions related to the 7010 and best way to hook everything up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page