• 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 14 Old 09-23-2016, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Lane 103 seats peeling.

I bought a set of Lane 103's and got them in the leather bonding and I knew they were cheaper, but after a year or so of use they have begun to bubble up and the leather bonding is now peeling off. I knew this might happen eventually, but not after a year. Not to mention, they have not been used all that much. We use the room like once a week and maybe I go in a few times a week and listen to some music. The hot seat is the most used seat and it is oddly the only one not peeling? I mean is this normal? I don't think anything can be done now to fix them. I doubt the dealer would help me, but is there anything I could through Lane? I mean this is just not fair. There are other things I would like to upgrade in my room and year old seats were not in the plan.

Thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-25-2016, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

After some looking around, I found a 5 year extended service plan in my email files. I have been emailing Stargate Cinema and all my emails are being returned. So I just found out why as they shut the doors and went out of business. Looks like I am out 2 grand. This is unbelievable. I guess I am going to have to after lane. I attached a picture, beautiful huh? Brand new chairs and this is what I am stuck with now. I wanted to add some new Atmos speakers and a new Projector and now I have replace brand new chairs. Maybe I can sell them and recoup some money. I am sure someone might over look it for the right price. Bummer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2298.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	1683809   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2303.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	1683817  
post #3 of 14 Old 09-25-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
I've got the same thing happening with my Berkline (probably same crap from the same factory). And like you, I'm completely out of luck as those guys are long out of business.

Two things I've done to prolong the useful life of my chairs (and I have 8 all suffering the same fate), which you can see in my theater thread linked in my sig...

1) I had an auto upholstery shop make me some "headrest covers" which covered over the worst parts - mine all started falling apart on the headrest area first, and this has kept them in service...

2) Once the material elsewhere on the seat began failing, I found "leather repair tape" with a pretty darn close color match to tape over the areas as they fail. The chairs continue to get worse, with one of them like 50% tape now! But at $10/roll for the repair tape, and it not looking horrible since the low light of the theater hides the patching, that's been a good short-term fix. I'm on my 2nd roll of the stuff, and generally have to make one or two more patches after a large crowd...

Hope that helps, sorry you're going through this, too.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-25-2016, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
I've got the same thing happening with my Berkline (probably same crap from the same factory). And like you, I'm completely out of luck as those guys are long out of business.

Two things I've done to prolong the useful life of my chairs (and I have 8 all suffering the same fate), which you can see in my theater thread linked in my sig...

1) I had an auto upholstery shop make me some "headrest covers" which covered over the worst parts - mine all started falling apart on the headrest area first, and this has kept them in service...

2) Once the material elsewhere on the seat began failing, I found "leather repair tape" with a pretty darn close color match to tape over the areas as they fail. The chairs continue to get worse, with one of them like 50% tape now! But at $10/roll for the repair tape, and it not looking horrible since the low light of the theater hides the patching, that's been a good short-term fix. I'm on my 2nd roll of the stuff, and generally have to make one or two more patches after a large crowd...

Hope that helps, sorry you're going through this, too.

Jeff
That is a bummer man, hate to hear you going through this also. I would expect this after 5 years or so, but not 2 years with little use. I knew they were less quality, but I still paid $1900 for the 3. The other thing is when I got them, I ordered black and I swear they are brown. My wife says they are black, but when you look at them closely, they appear to be brown. I shrugged it off as getting HT seating is a PITA. I am just lucky that I got them as I read they stiffed quite a few people, right around the time I bought them. I just contacted Lane as I am going to fight to get them replaced. Thanks for the reply with the tips. I just think I am going to trash them and get a new set if I don't get anywhere through the warranty or Lane. I was at Beast's audios theater and loved his chairs. Think I am going with them. They are the Seatcraft Madera. I am going to head over and take a peek at your room. Thanks Dave
post #5 of 14 Old 09-25-2016, 05:53 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6167 Post(s)
Liked: 5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
After some looking around, I found a 5 year extended service plan in my email files. I have been emailing Stargate Cinema and all my emails are being returned. So I just found out why as they shut the doors and went out of business. Looks like I am out 2 grand. This is unbelievable. I guess I am going to have to after lane. I attached a picture, beautiful huh? Brand new chairs and this is what I am stuck with now. I wanted to add some new Atmos speakers and a new Projector and now I have replace brand new chairs. Maybe I can sell them and recoup some money. I am sure someone might over look it for the right price. Bummer.
Reefdvr if it has been a little over a year as you mentioned in your first post, check for the exact date of your purchase. you need to be aware that 4seating.com purchased and operated the Stargate Website business in February 2015. It is possible that in reality you purchased the 5 year warranty from 4seating and they still sell Lane and they are still in business.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-26-2016, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Reefdvr if it has been a little over a year as you mentioned in your first post, check for the exact date of your purchase. you need to be aware that 4seating.com purchased and operated the Stargate Website business in February 2015. It is possible that in reality you purchased the 5 year warranty from 4seating and they still sell Lane and they are still in business.
It was actually longer than I thought. It was August 2014 so Two years. I did not think it was that long ago, but it was. I contacted Lane also. I am going to fight for Lane to back the product. There is no reason that 2 year old chairs should be doing this. Thanks Jeff
post #7 of 14 Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
I bought a set of Lane 103's and got them in the leather bonding and I knew they were cheaper, but after a year or so of use they have begun to bubble up and the leather bonding is now peeling off. I knew this might happen eventually, but not after a year. Not to mention, they have not been used all that much. We use the room like once a week and maybe I go in a few times a week and listen to some music. The hot seat is the most used seat and it is oddly the only one not peeling? I mean is this normal? I don't think anything can be done now to fix them. I doubt the dealer would help me, but is there anything I could through Lane? I mean this is just not fair. There are other things I would like to upgrade in my room and year old seats were not in the plan.

Thanks Dave
1 year is too early for leather peeling. What is the warranty period?

Ashley HomeStore
post #8 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
After some looking around, I found a 5 year extended service plan in my email files. I have been emailing Stargate Cinema and all my emails are being returned. So I just found out why as they shut the doors and went out of business.
It just occurred to me that you really need to check that extended service plan paperwork. Many of these plans are policies serviced by 3rd party companies (not the retailer/dealer you bought the stuff from). If that's the case, your extended warranty may be very, very useful...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It just occurred to me that you really need to check that extended service plan paperwork. Many of these plans are policies serviced by 3rd party companies (not the retailer/dealer you bought the stuff from). If that's the case, your extended warranty may be very, very useful...
YES!!!! I read the plan and indeed it is a third party. I went to the site and put in my code and my info came up. I am in their database. Now it is just going to be fight! I know it will not be easy. I glad you posted this as I kind of read over it. I have been fighting with Lane for a week now and they are offering nothing. Thanks again.
jautor likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-05-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
YES!!!! I read the plan and indeed it is a third party. I went to the site and put in my code and my info came up. I am in their database. Now it is just going to be fight! I know it will not be easy. I glad you posted this as I kind of read over it. I have been fighting with Lane for a week now and they are offering nothing. Thanks again.
Hot damn! That's excellent, good luck!

I've headed down the replacement path, and have 8 new chairs on order... Not what I wanted to spend "theater upgrade money" on, but the chairs are degrading as fast as I can tape them back together.

Cheers,

Jeff

post #11 of 14 Old 05-04-2017, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hot damn! That's excellent, good luck!

I've headed down the replacement path, and have 8 new chairs on order... Not what I wanted to spend "theater upgrade money" on, but the chairs are degrading as fast as I can tape them back together.

Cheers,

Jeff
Been awhile, I was thinking about this thread and our chat. The wife an I went furniture shopping for the house and I was walking by a set of HT chairs and sat in them and I loved them, they were not in the plans. They are performance fabric, so no leather, but I was dammed to tell the difference. I had to shuffle chairs around and winded up putting a row of three together and they look fantastic. They are not named brand, they may even be junk, but they are new and they are not peeling, but the best is I love them!! I have sat in quite a few HT chairs, but these just seat so well, my wife said the same thing. She said lets get them before me!! They have all power and leds, power headrest and backrest. I hoping to get 5 years out of them. Sucks as you said, it the last thing I want to replace as there are so many things I want to improve in the room, but chairs are part of the experience. Gotta be comfy. What did you wind up getting?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1713.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	2117681  
post #12 of 14 Old 05-04-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Been awhile, I was thinking about this thread and our chat. The wife an I went furniture shopping for the house and I was walking by a set of HT chairs and sat in them and I loved them, they were not in the plans. They are performance fabric, so no leather, but I was dammed to tell the difference.
Awesome - yeah, I feel the same way, didn't want to do it, but getting them replaced is a relief and it no longer tarnishes my theater experience...

Quote:
Gotta be comfy. What did you wind up getting?
I got a deal from United Leather (Dallas, TX) through their CEDIA dealer special offer. 6 months later and the theater still has that "new cow" smell!

I could tell from the minute they arrived that they were vastly superior quality from the Berklines. To start, they weigh probably twice as much...

Glad you're happy with new seats, and yeah, nothing ruins a theater experience more than crappy or uncomfortable seating!

Jeff
BIGmouthinDC likes this.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome - yeah, I feel the same way, didn't want to do it, but getting them replaced is a relief and it no longer tarnishes my theater experience...

I got a deal from United Leather (Dallas, TX) through their CEDIA dealer special offer. 6 months later and the theater still has that "new cow" smell!

I could tell from the minute they arrived that they were vastly superior quality from the Berklines. To start, they weigh probably twice as much...

Glad you're happy with new seats, and yeah, nothing ruins a theater experience more than crappy or uncomfortable seating!

Jeff
That's great. I know I learned my lesson with bonded leather. We bought a sofa from a pretty reputable dealer here and 5 years later that is peeling, hence the reason we were furniture shopping. I am going to give the Performance fabric a shot (Breathable) Supposedly it is very durable and for the amount of time I use the chairs, they should be good for a few years and by that time I think I will be on my way to a new home theater. I think if I used the room more I would have went with the Seatcraft Madera's. I spent a weekend at beastaudio's house and he has the Seatcrafts and I loved them. Now maybe I can set my sights on a new 4K PJ and a new oppo 205.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
That's great. I know I learned my lesson with bonded leather. We bought a sofa from a pretty reputable dealer here and 5 years later that is peeling, hence the reason we were furniture shopping.
I won't re-post my full story but Berkline screwed me as I was supposed to have "leather match" (leather on the seat, bonded on the side/back) and that's not what I got. And they went out of business just a few weeks after mine arrived and long before I realized that... But yes, I always try to chime in whenever someone asks about bonded - avoid at all costs!

Quote:
I am going to give the Performance fabric a shot (Breathable) Supposedly it is very durable and for the amount of time I use the chairs, they should be good for a few years and by that time I think I will be on my way to a new home theater. I think if I used the room more I would have went with the Seatcraft Madera's. I spent a weekend at beastaudio's house and he has the Seatcrafts and I loved them. Now maybe I can set my sights on a new 4K PJ and a new oppo 205.
I absolutely would consider the performance/microfiber chairs if I started over. They can be super comfortable and with proper stain-resistance can work and wear, IMO, just as well as theater chairs...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page