Universal Remote to devices in another room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-10-2016, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Universal Remote to devices in another room

Folks:

Finished my basement viewing/theater room. It's a multi-room, and not only watching TV/Games. So its a bit larger. Adjacent to it is our finished storage room where I mouse the Receiver, Apple TV, Cable box, Blue Ray, etc. I am using a Logitech Harmony 900 remote to control all of the devices.

The issue is sometimes the receiver of the harmony isn't getting the remote's signal. It's intermittent, at best. The remove receiver and blasters are at most 20 feet away, but through a wall and into another room. Walls are sheet rock and studs; no cement to go through as its part of the basement.

Does anyone make a universal that has a strong (or stronger) signal than the 900, which I know is a few years old. Looking for some good options to make my control of all my components more seamless.

Thx for your suggestions.

TKH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKHanson View Post
Folks:

Finished my basement viewing/theater room. It's a multi-room, and not only watching TV/Games. So its a bit larger. Adjacent to it is our finished storage room where I mouse the Receiver, Apple TV, Cable box, Blue Ray, etc. I am using a Logitech Harmony 900 remote to control all of the devices.

The issue is sometimes the receiver of the harmony isn't getting the remote's signal. It's intermittent, at best. The remove receiver and blasters are at most 20 feet away, but through a wall and into another room. Walls are sheet rock and studs; no cement to go through as its part of the basement.

Does anyone make a universal that has a strong (or stronger) signal than the 900, which I know is a few years old. Looking for some good options to make my control of all my components more seamless.

Thx for your suggestions.

TKH
I have a URC (Universal Remote Control) MX 780 and love it (I also have a Harmony but it is unused in a box now). The 780 holds 4 AA batteries (I use rechargeable NIMHs) which make it a little heavy which I really prefer. Feels nice and substantial that way to me and rus a long time between charges. The layout of the controls is also very easy to remember and up to 48 devices can be selected for control.

With the MX-780 I use a URC 750 base station (similar but more utilitarian than the Harmony base station). The base station accepts 6 wired infrared emitters (similar but not interchangeable with those of the harmony base station). I have two URC RFX-250 uhf remote antenna sensors which each attach to the base station with a 3 wire connector which allow wired distant control of the base station which is only limited by the length of the wire. . Attachment wires are easily made from a length of either thermostat wire or telephone wire. I have one in my living room and one in my basement. Without the one in my basement I can in a limited area control the living room base station upstairs but use two just because I have them and the one in the basement can control the upstairs components from anywhere in the basement. Any wire that is cheap and long and has 3 conductors ca be used and attached to the connectors that come with the URC 780 or 250 remote sensors. This way there is a "remote signal receiver" you can put closer to your hand held remote control unit existing location.

This MX 780 can be programmed for your actual components by the URC dealer. If you buy one from a "non-authorized dealer" you will NOT be able to do the things you want to do with this unit so be sure to deal with an authorized dealer. It is more complex to program than the Harmony so not as easily programmed or as cheap in price.

Ya usually get what you pay for though.

Bill Shenefelt; JBL 4343 monitors on Audire and Crown 1502 amps. 2 SVS 16 SB subs. 8 cu ft ported enclosure with 18 inch jbl driver on a Crown 1002 XTi amp (below 30 cps cut via eq), 4 Klipsch in-ceiling atmos. Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. Accuphase C-200, PS P600, Sony 4k projector and tv, SOTA Saphire turntable and Oppo 205 disk player .
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2016, 12:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5546 Post(s)
Liked: 5138
My Harmony 890 goes through 3 layers of 5/8 drywall at 20 ft no problem. yours may not be performing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 701
post #5 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
IRule.
@bluer101 : i would go that route; however, I have a Samsung TV. Apparently, Samsung doesn't support IP control for startup, meaning I can't power on my TV with an ipad/iphone, etc. I hope I read that right from their site.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-13-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKHanson View Post
@bluer101 : i would go that route; however, I have a Samsung TV. Apparently, Samsung doesn't support IP control for startup, meaning I can't power on my TV with an ipad/iphone, etc. I hope I read that right from their site.
I have equipment with and without IP control without controlling issues. I use this for IP to IR for those devices.

http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2irspecs/
post #7 of 8 Old 12-16-2016, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I use Simple Control (formerly Roomie Remote). It's really nice to be able to control anything in the house with. I also have a few TV's that don't have IP control, but their single wifi to IR dongle works great - i just taped it to the back of the TV, the IR is strong enough to turn on/off from behind.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-17-2016, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Another vote for URC, they have a lot of stellar options for RF. Want to program one yourself? MX-450 can be programmed on the remote. Programming is easy. I liked it better than doing a Harmony. And I've done Harmonys for more than a decade now.

Get an MRF-350 base station and an RFX-250 that can be positioned where you need it. Very powerful combination. You will not be disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories