Server/AV Rack Recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guinea85

post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Server/AV Rack Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a server rack for my home theater. It will be a FreeNAS build using the following chassis: Supermicro 846BE16-R1K28B

I am looking for something with a glass door or something along those lines. Something aesthetically pleasing. It will be tucked away in a closet in the back of the theater, but would like it to be relatively quiet with a decent configuration for cooling. It needs to fit that chassis so it should be a depth of at least 28". I am looking for something greater than 30U ideally. I am not a frequent shopper for racks, so I am not sure what are good models or brands. They are not common purchases, so the reviews on most of them are non existent. I don't want to spend $1500 on something that is a gamble.

Just looking for recommendations on models or brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea85 View Post
I am looking for recommendations for a server rack for my home theater. It will be a FreeNAS build using the following chassis: Supermicro 846BE16-R1K28B

I am looking for something with a glass door or something along those lines. Something aesthetically pleasing. It will be tucked away in a closet in the back of the theater, but would like it to be relatively quiet with a decent configuration for cooling. It needs to fit that chassis so it should be a depth of at least 28". I am looking for something greater than 30U ideally. I am not a frequent shopper for racks, so I am not sure what are good models or brands. They are not common purchases, so the reviews on most of them are non existent. I don't want to spend $1500 on something that is a gamble.

Just looking for recommendations on models or brands.
I bought a Tripp Lite

https://www.tripplite.com/products/c...frame-racks~12

I only got a 15U because I dont need much. Good quality/fair price compared to APC IMO. Good luck!
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrim80 View Post
I bought a Tripp Lite

I only got a 15U because I dont need much. Good quality/fair price compared to APC IMO. Good luck!
Awesome thanks. That is definitely one of the options I was looking into. Glad to know it is a solid choice. I was looking at the SR42UBG. It seems to match my requirements and should fit my chassis well.
killswitch1968 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-11-2018, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is the Tripp Lite working for you? Looking at buying one. Can this be in the same room or does it have to be in cabinet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrim80 View Post
I bought a Tripp Lite

post #5 of 6 Old 10-20-2018, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Every check out the local for sale newsgroups?

I recently picked up a Middle Atlantic WRX-24SK-27 rack with some shelves and wire management pieces for $200 CDN.
No top to it, but Ebay has many at sub $100. I expect I'll simply make a top from wood, with dual exhaust fans, and paint to
match.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MA1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2471088   Click image for larger version

Name:	MA2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2471090   Click image for larger version

Name:	MA3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	2471092  
post #6 of 6 Old 10-20-2018, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 359
If you are looking for a 42U rack then look closely at the APC racks, they are definitely pricier than some of the others but well worth it.

I install network equipment for a living and the APC racks are some of the best made, lots of options for cable management and shelving along with most of the edges being rolled. Rolled edges means no cut knuckles from working on your rack.

If not in a real hurry keep an eye on your local craigslist as 42U network racks do come up for sale fairly regularly in larger cities.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page