AVS Forum banner

What dimmer light switch do I need to purchase ?

15K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  sk576c 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a dimmer light switch to control my theater room that is compatible or can be controlled by the Logitech Harmony Elite remote/hub and Alexa. So that if I press a button on the Logitech Elite remote, the light dims and everything starts running. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

#4 ·
Does the Insteon Hub work with other smart switches? If not, I'd suggest either going with something like the Belkin WeMo dimmer switch that does not require a separate hub. This is only a suggestion if OP does not plan on adding more smart switches.

If owner plans on adding more switches and expand his smart home, I'd recommend the Samsung SmartThings hub. The hub works with just about any brand's smart devices you can think of and makes it much easier/cheaper to add smart switches as OP can buy any Z-Wave or Zigbee switches that are on sale. It's also a good one-stop place to control all smart devices, rather than having a separate app for each device.

ST Hub was on a $50 sale price during BF, not sure if still at $50.

#7 ·
I have a similar setup. I use my Logitech Remote / Harmony Hub to control my Smartthings Hub which in turn controls my dimmer switches (3) from GoControl. As I recall, I couldn't find a dimmer switch that would talk directly to the Harmony Hub, which is all that I wanted. But, with the ST Hub, it opens up a wide range of devices and customization. My vote is for a ST Hub and Zwave switches.

#10 · (Edited)
Lutron Maestro (aka "Spacer") IR Dimmer works when you point IR R/C directly at the Dimmer....or if HUB can send IR signal TO it. Note that it works with Incadescent and Halogen Bulbs and is NOT LED/LCD Compatible. Sold with and w/o R/C.....and YES, Lutron Codes are in Harmony Data Base...but several years ago when I set up my Harmony 650, I had to fiddle with LEARNING to get the Brighter/Dimmer Keys to work for as long as I held the key down rather than one tiny increment per push...perhaps Harmony has fixed that now:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-...-Digital-Dimmer-White-MIR-600THW-WH/100399015
https://www.homedepot.com/s/maestro%20600-watt%20ir%20dimmer?NCNI-5

If you want to control LED or LCD Bulbs without BLOWING them out [and NO Flicker at low light settings], then do the research to make sure that they are controlled by a COMPATIBLE Dimmer. Note that Incandescent/Halogen Light Dimmers can go down to EXTREMELY Dim settings without Flickering.....the same is NOT TRUE for MANY LED/LCD Dimmers....so be sure to research this capability as well:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/202...ed-light-bulb-discussions-18.html#post2881394

Reactions: woodgieroo
#11 ·
Lutron Caseta wireless dimmers work really well, but it will require the lutron bridge, but it integrates flawlessly with smartthings. I just set this up with my new harmony hub and it will turn on/dim the lights, turn on the ceiling fan, and set the av system to whatever activity I select. I feel the lutron stuff is a bit better than the z wave stuff, not that there is anything wrong with z wave, I have numerous z wave devices that all work well, I just feel the lutron stuff is more reliable, plus the caseta dimmers do not require a neutral wire, however the caseta on/off switch does.

#20 ·
Long time lurker....1st time poster. :) I also have the same question as the OP. Was wondering if anyone had anything to add to current thread. I do not have any controllers or Hubs that I currently use. I plan to have 3 zones that will be LED (main lights, accent lights, & LED strips), and that I can set scenes from 1 remote. I understand (at least in the past) that some controllers may not be compatible with LED strip lights. Thanks.

#21 ·
Replacement Lutron Switch

We have Lutron URC dimmers/switches installed in 2010 which worked very well with the URC MX-6000 remote. That remote has now died & I am planning to purchase the new logitech harmony PRO remote. Will that work with these old switches? If not what should I replace these light switches/dimmers with? Any advice will be greatly appreciated

#22 ·
I would like add dimming to my theater LED cans and but my switch is a 3 way switch with one switch in the theater, and the other in an adjoining area of the basement. Do Lutron Caseta dimmers come in a 3-way variety? Will I need two, or can I put a dumb switch or dimmer on the garage side?

Thanks for the help.

#27 ·
I spent a couple years out of the theater game after moving several times for work. Finally back to putting a theater room together and needing to come up with dimmer switches, hubs, and a controller set up.
I will be running 4 LED can lights and 4 halogen wall sconces on two separate switches. In my old theater I had used URC stuff, however I always found their stuff to be clunky. Not to mention the old Lutron compatible dimmer switch I had was only for incandescent bulbs.

Im leaning towards going with a harmony elite controller. With that I think I will need, at a minimum, the harmony lite controller, either a harmony hub or ST hub, and two dimmer switches. Is that correct? Since one of the dimmer switches will need to work decently well with LEDs, does anyone have a suggestion on what dimmer switches (and thus hub) would be best without costing a fortune?

#29 ·
Did you not have to also use the insteon hub?

I was doing a ton of reading through forums yesterday and what not. Everything I found said I needed the harmony elite hub and then a hub for whatever dimmer switch brand I went with. I narrowed it down to using the Lutron caseta dimmers + bridge/hub OR the Insteon dimmer birdge/hub and then the harmony elite and the harmony hub. The price for 2 dimmers + hridge/hub from either Lutron or Insteon seemed to be about the same price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.