Not nearly as experienced or have the awesome equipment as most of you. However, we recently got some storms and experienced some rapid power failures. The cheap surge protectors didn't do much good. It wiped out some appliances and various electronics. Some stuff still works but does weird stuff now.
Anyhow, working with my insurance company to replace a bunch of stuff.
One of the things on my list is a better surge protector or a UPS unit. I *think* I'd like something that also monitors the current power levels and regulates it.
We just recently moved here but it seems if you it even gets cloudy then the power will flicker on/off at some point. Usually it happens quickly, although there have been a few instances where there was a 4-8 hour period with no power.
Here is what I think I want:
I'm still chasing down power consumption of individual components, but here's what I've gathered so far:
1. 80" Sharp LEDTV, LC-80C6500U (will be replaced, undecided on what) = 111 watts
2. Yamaha Aventage RX-A780 7.2 AVR (think this will be future replacement piece) = 400 watts
3. XBox One X = varies, but max is 180 watts
4. Onkyo Powered Sub = 163 watts
5. Roku4 = 10 watts
6. Google Chromecast = still confirming, but assume about 10 watts like the Roku4
7. Cable Modem/Router = still confirming, but assume 150 watts is safe
8. Cox Contour Receiver = still confirming, but assume 150 watts is safe
Total = 1,174 watts
I have a few other misc items plugged up as well. Things like an IR extender and a couple of charging units for XB1 controllers.
Even with the uncertainty in the above data, I feel the 1,500 watt unit will be sufficient unless I am overlooking something. On the battery backup side I am thinking I want my TV, XB1, AVR, cable modem/router & cable DVR box on the battery + surge side of things. The other stuff I'd just have on surge protection only.
Question: Running the powered sub through as SURGE ONLY, will it have any issues? Or do I need to plug in separately from the UPS altogether rather powered + surge or just surge only?