Octane Seating - Challenger XS700 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By enricoclaudio
  • 1 Post By nxs450
  • 2 Post By pkinneb
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Matt Helander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Octane Seating - Challenger XS700

I recently started looking for seating as I'm almost finished with my theater (waitin on carpet)

And i keep coming back to Octane. I don't need high end stuff - Just something that competes with the local theater (Leather, Power Recline, etc)

I landed on the Octane Challenger series and thinking of pulling the trigger on a row of four with the loveseat middle.

Has anyone purchased these specific seats before? Or general impressions from Octane? For only $2,171 it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Thank you!

Matt Helander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 08-17-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,033
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked: 5073
I just placed an order for a row of 3 of Octane Flash HR. I got a really good deal with a 5 years warranty extension included. I went to my local Octane dealer and tried the XS700 and the Flex HR but they were too stiff. According to Nick from The Theater Seat Store, the Flash HR is the most puffy and soft from the HR series.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Matt Helander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I just placed an order for a row of 3 of Octane Flash HR. I got a really good deal with a 5 years warranty extension included. I went to my local Octane dealer and tried the XS700 and the Flex HR but they were too stiff. According to Nick from The Theater Seat Store, the Flash HR is the most puffy and soft from the HR series.
Thanks for the input. I have to assume that most of these seats will soften up over time. Does your Flash HR have boned leather? The Challenger is Top Grain - so what other items does the Flash have that make it more expensive?
Matt Helander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,033
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helander View Post
Thanks for the input. I have to assume that most of these seats will soften up over time. Does your Flash HR have boned leather? The Challenger is Top Grain - so what other items does the Flash have that make it more expensive?
Mine has Italian Leather 9000. Bonded leather is not an option on the Flash series. Also, the Flash has dual motor as it has motorized headrest. BTW, do not place the order online, call Nick at TheaterSeatStore to get a MUCH better price.
CFC likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 08-19-2018, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Matt Helander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Mine has Italian Leather 9000. Bonded leather is not an option on the Flash series. Also, the Flash has dual motor as it has motorized headrest. BTW, do not place the order online, call Nick at TheaterSeatStore to get a MUCH better price.
Ahh gotcha. I've actually been talking to a rep there - Ian - And he emailed me a quote that was better than online as well.
Matt Helander is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helander View Post
Ahh gotcha. I've actually been talking to a rep there - Ian - And he emailed me a quote that was better than online as well.
That’s who I dealt with for my Dream HR’s.
bluer101 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,033
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked: 5073
I was curious about how TheaterSeatStore was able to give me such a good price. Well after some digging I found that TheaterSeatStore is literally the storefront of Octane Seating as both companies are owned by the same people. In fact, Nick and Ian are staff at Octane Seating

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Matt Helander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I was curious about how TheaterSeatStore was able to give me such a good price. Well after some digging I found that TheaterSeatStore is literally the storefront of Octane Seating as both companies are owned by the same people. In fact, Nick and Ian are staff at Octane Seating
I saw that too when I was browsing both sites
Matt Helander is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 05-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm currently looking at the cloud xs850 series. I have been reading reviews which seem to be overall good. When purchasing a row of three or more I've read a review that stated they are just sitting next to each other and have no clip system securing them together. How has your experience with the challenger been?

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
Tweeter2002 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helander View Post
I recently started looking for seating as I'm almost finished with my theater (waitin on carpet)

And i keep coming back to Octane. I don't need high end stuff - Just something that competes with the local theater (Leather, Power Recline, etc)

I landed on the Octane Challenger series and thinking of pulling the trigger on a row of four with the loveseat middle.

Has anyone purchased these specific seats before? Or general impressions from Octane? For only $2,171 it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Thank you!

I'm currently looking at the cloud xs850 series. I have been reading reviews which seem to be overall good. When purchasing a row of three or more I've read a review that stated they are just sitting next to each other and have no clip system securing them together. How has your experience with the challenger been?

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
Tweeter2002 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 07-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wichita,Ks
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeter2002 View Post
I'm currently looking at the cloud xs850 series. I have been reading reviews which seem to be overall good. When purchasing a row of three or more I've read a review that stated they are just sitting next to each other and have no clip system securing them together. How has your experience with the challenger been?
I am looking at the Cloud seating as well. Did you ever purchase these?
Tweeter2002 likes this.
nxs450 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 08-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
I am looking at the Cloud seating as well. Did you ever purchase these?
Yeah I did, but haven't recieved them yet. I'll let you know what I think as soon as I get them

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
Tweeter2002 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 08-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Member
 
Shawn Colton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Do you need to order the loveseat with no middle arm to use the arm accessory that has a compartment to store your controls?
Shawn Colton is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 08:44 AM
Member
 
seeker_moc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
I am looking at the Cloud seating as well. Did you ever purchase these?

I just got my order of 5x Cloud XS850 (leather 9000) seats this week (after a long shipping delay). However, I'm extremely disappointed with them, and am in the processes of returning them. First, theaterseatstore sent me the wrong configuration (I ordered a single recliner and 2x loveseats, but they sent me a row of 5 instead). The invoice was correct, but they still delivered the wrong order.


Regarding the chairs themselves, the biggest issue I have is that the seats are not stable by design. Because the base of the armrest is longer than the base of the chair, and most chairs only have an armrest on one side, it makes the base trapezodial instead of square. This shape causes the chairs to tip towards the front corner pretty sharply if you shift your weight forward. Drinks in the cupholders will spill, and shorter people will stumble or trip when trying to stand up (as people with short legs need to shift their bodies forward in the seats before their legs can reach the ground to stand).


While fairly comfortable, I found them somewhat too firm for my tastes, and don't think they are "ergonomically designed with full lumbar and head support" like they advertise. The seat bottoms and backs are mostly flat, so there's no contours to keep you supported. Some of the headrests were supportive, but others weren't, as the amount and shape of the headrest padding was different on every piece. Also, the manual recline mechanism isn't great, and depending on the chair (the quality varies greatly between pieces), it can be difficult to open and close the recline mechanism, so I'd suggest getting the power recline instead. Also, the reclining is very loud from the squeaking of vinyl rubbing together (as only the tops of the armrests and front surface of the seat backs/bottoms are leather, the rest is vinyl). Video reviews I've seen from other brands don't seem to have this issue.



Also, 4 of the 5 seats contained some sort of cosmetic or structural flaw, despite being brand new. These included spots with clusters of stains, drastically varying quality of leather between pieces, or even within the same piece, scratches, seam tears, sloppy stitching, bulges in the upholstery caused by extra, bunched up padding, or spots where the padding is missing, sharp screws sticking out of the frame and scratching the adjoining chair, uneven seatback height, etc.


If interested, here's a gallery of pics that show some of the issues, though the dark color and bulky outline of the chairs makes it difficult to adequately depict some of the problems in a picture. https://imgur.com/a/6tvM8Dc


I'd be very interested to hear whether the other poster experiences similar problems with his order, especially regarding the stability/tipping issue.
seeker_moc is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Member
 
seeker_moc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Colton View Post
Do you need to order the loveseat with no middle arm to use the arm accessory that has a compartment to store your controls?

Yes.
seeker_moc is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 10-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Bill97Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Did Octane accept the return easily? Did they have an explaination? Are you going to get a different model through octane?



Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker_moc View Post
I just got my order of 5x Cloud XS850 (leather 9000) seats this week (after a long shipping delay). However, I'm extremely disappointed with them, and am in the processes of returning them. First, theaterseatstore sent me the wrong configuration (I ordered a single recliner and 2x loveseats, but they sent me a row of 5 instead). The invoice was correct, but they still delivered the wrong order.


Regarding the chairs themselves, the biggest issue I have is that the seats are not stable by design. Because the base of the armrest is longer than the base of the chair, and most chairs only have an armrest on one side, it makes the base trapezodial instead of square. This shape causes the chairs to tip towards the front corner pretty sharply if you shift your weight forward. Drinks in the cupholders will spill, and shorter people will stumble or trip when trying to stand up (as people with short legs need to shift their bodies forward in the seats before their legs can reach the ground to stand).


While fairly comfortable, I found them somewhat too firm for my tastes, and don't think they are "ergonomically designed with full lumbar and head support" like they advertise. The seat bottoms and backs are mostly flat, so there's no contours to keep you supported. Some of the headrests were supportive, but others weren't, as the amount and shape of the headrest padding was different on every piece. Also, the manual recline mechanism isn't great, and depending on the chair (the quality varies greatly between pieces), it can be difficult to open and close the recline mechanism, so I'd suggest getting the power recline instead. Also, the reclining is very loud from the squeaking of vinyl rubbing together (as only the tops of the armrests and front surface of the seat backs/bottoms are leather, the rest is vinyl). Video reviews I've seen from other brands don't seem to have this issue.



Also, 4 of the 5 seats contained some sort of cosmetic or structural flaw, despite being brand new. These included spots with clusters of stains, drastically varying quality of leather between pieces, or even within the same piece, scratches, seam tears, sloppy stitching, bulges in the upholstery caused by extra, bunched up padding, or spots where the padding is missing, sharp screws sticking out of the frame and scratching the adjoining chair, uneven seatback height, etc.


If interested, here's a gallery of pics that show some of the issues, though the dark color and bulky outline of the chairs makes it difficult to adequately depict some of the problems in a picture. https://imgur.com/a/6tvM8Dc


I'd be very interested to hear whether the other poster experiences similar problems with his order, especially regarding the stability/tipping issue.
Bill97Z is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 10-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Member
 
seeker_moc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Did Octane accept the return easily? Did they have an explaination? Are you going to get a different model through octane?

I bought them through theaterseatstore.com, and no. They want to have a furniture repair tech come take a look first, which is fine with me as long as it doesn't draw out the return process, but I'm sure it will. They didn't offer any explanation, and the way they responded to my return request makes it seem as if they didn't actually read my complaint, but just sent a scripted response instead. Though to be fair, I submitted my return request on the day before a holiday weekend, so maybe I'll get a better response tomorrow.


If it was just the wrong order, or if they could assure me that the instability is isolated to the Cloud XS850 design, I may have considered another Octane model. However, despite how minor some of the other flaws may be, the sheer quantity and variety of them indicates a serious quality control problem, making me unwilling to risk trying another Octane model.



For now, I'm considering the HTDesign Sheffield as a replacement (edit: recommended to me by someone on reddit). It's a lot more than I initially intended to spend, but I really like the design, and they seem to be well regarded around here. After this experience with the bottom end of the price range, hopefully moving to something a little higher will ensure I don't have the same problems. The sale they have going right now would help mitigate some of the extra cost, but I don't want to order another set of furniture until I at least know when the Octanes will be picked up, as I don't have the room in my house for two sets of furniture. Hopefully I'll be able to work something out with one of their sales agents, or they'll have another sale during Black Friday.

Last edited by seeker_moc; 10-14-2019 at 02:42 PM.
seeker_moc is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 10-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Zimmerman MN
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker_moc View Post
For now, I'm considering the HTDesign Sheffield as a replacement (edit: recommended to me by someone on reddit). It's a lot more than I initially intended to spend, but I really like the design, and they seem to be well regarded around here. After this experience with the bottom end of the price range, hopefully moving to something a little higher will ensure I don't have the same problems. The sale they have going right now would help mitigate some of the extra cost, but I don't want to order another set of furniture until I at least know when the Octanes will be picked up, as I don't have the room in my house for two sets of furniture. Hopefully I'll be able to work something out with one of their sales agents, or they'll have another sale during Black Friday.
Sorry your going through this its a definitely a bummer to get to this point and then have an issue.

FWIW MY wife and I just made a quick trip to Chicago to look at the Sheffield and the Belmount, both were very nice. We liked the look and feel of the Sheffield better and ordered a row of 4 that day along with some carpet. Tom was very helpful and the carpet arrived today and looks to be in great shape. The chairs should follow soon they held them to insure the carpet was arrived first. So far a great experience.
tjambro and seeker_moc like this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
pkinneb is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off