Media Console for 75" TV and Large center channel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By nbk13nw

post #1 of 11 Old 10-08-2018, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Media Console for 75" TV and Large center channel

I'm about at the halfway point in my basement project and starting to look at furniture for the new space. It seems there are very few options for consoles that can house a large center channel. I am planning on using Klipsch Reference Premier Line for everything, so that means a RP-504C center channel at dimensions of 6.81” x 31.13” x 14.46”.

What I have found so far is the Horizon or Haven EX 82-inch Solid Wood Media Console by Standout Designs ($3,000), and the SYNERGY MODEL 245 by Salamander Design ($2,000).

I really don't want to "stack" the TV on top of the center channel on top of a cabinet, as I want to keep the TV at a reasonable viewing height for a 75-85" TV.

Are there any others I should consider?

Last edited by Test_Engineer; 10-08-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-10-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 655
I've looked really long and hard for consoles that hold a large center channel and as you've found, Standout is the only one I've found that will hold something as big as yours. But the price is ridiculous. Fortunately for me a BDI 8137 ($1,700) or Furntech 70" ($1,000) are about the only others that will hold my center (Paradigm Signature C3), but yours is too wide.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-11-2018, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
I've looked really long and hard for consoles that hold a large center channel and as you've found, Standout is the only one I've found that will hold something as big as yours. But the price is ridiculous. Fortunately for me a BDI 8137 ($1,700) or Furntech 70" ($1,000) are about the only others that will hold my center (Paradigm Signature C3), but yours is too wide.
Those were the other 2 I found that can fit larger centers, but they won't fit the big Klipsch. I already own a different Salamander Designs Synergy model for our main living room, so I have no problem with that one. The StandOut Designs ones do look really nice and are all hardwood. I don't mind paying for quality, but $1,000 more is a bit much. If it was $2,400 or 2,500, I think it would be reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-30-2018, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Those were the other 2 I found that can fit larger centers, but they won't fit the big Klipsch. I already own a different Salamander Designs Synergy model for our main living room, so I have no problem with that one. The StandOut Designs ones do look really nice and are all hardwood. I don't mind paying for quality, but $1,000 more is a bit much. If it was $2,400 or 2,500, I think it would be reasonable.
You should check the site again. They are having a holiday sale.

I'm looking for a TV stand as well but I don't mind setting the center speaker on top as I will wall mount the TV. Any general recommendations on brands that put out a good product? I would want to stay in the $1500-$2000 range. Going 65" most likely with the TV.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
I'm about at the halfway point in my basement project and starting to look at furniture for the new space. It seems there are very few options for consoles that can house a large center channel. I am planning on using Klipsch Reference Premier Line for everything, so that means a RP-504C center channel at dimensions of 6.81” x 31.13” x 14.46”.

What I have found so far is the Horizon or Haven EX 82-inch Solid Wood Media Console by Standout Designs ($3,000), and the SYNERGY MODEL 245 by Salamander Design ($2,000).

I really don't want to "stack" the TV on top of the center channel on top of a cabinet, as I want to keep the TV at a reasonable viewing height for a 75-85" TV.

Are there any others I should consider?
I just received the Horizon 82" in black delivered a few weeks ago. I ordered it during their labor day sale. I have a 75" Tv on it. I can tell you that it is a beautiful piece of furniture. Its made to order and the craftsmanship is top notch. Sure it pricey- but its real hand made wood furniture. And its a joy to put all your gear in. the backs come off the shelves are vented and plenty of run-throughs for all your cables to keep it very neat.
Also from the order to the shipment ( I had white glove-its a heavy piece) was top notch. Alan is a nice guy and responds to your questions and
e-mails quickly. I highly recommend it.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-31-2018, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I was disappointed with the offerings for something similar. Especially at the price points they wanted, so I just built my own. Total cost for materials was under $250.00.

Onkyo TX RZ830, Chane 3600, AudioSource AMP100VS, XBox One X, Panasonic DMP-UB900, NVIDIA Shield, D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch, Caavo, Control Center, 2 x JBL Studio 590 Mains, 1 x JBL Studio 520C Center, 4 x KEF Q100's Surrounds, 4 x RSL C34E's ATMOS, 4 x Chane SBE-118's
post #7 of 11 Old 11-03-2018, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
I just received the Horizon 82" in black delivered a few weeks ago. I ordered it during their labor day sale. I have a 75" Tv on it. I can tell you that it is a beautiful piece of furniture. Its made to order and the craftsmanship is top notch. Sure it pricey- but its real hand made wood furniture. And its a joy to put all your gear in. the backs come off the shelves are vented and plenty of run-throughs for all your cables to keep it very neat.
Also from the order to the shipment ( I had white glove-its a heavy piece) was top notch. Alan is a nice guy and responds to your questions and
e-mails quickly. I highly recommend it.
I think I am going to end up with the same one. The bar I am planning to build in the same room will have a black dyed butcher block top, so that should go well together.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
I think I am going to end up with the same one. The bar I am planning to build in the same room will have a black dyed butcher block top, so that should go well together.
its a fine piece of furniture- you won't be disappointed. not cheap but something you can own a lifetime. I went to many furniture stores around my area and found nothing I liked.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-19-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
$3000 is way too much for me
Even $1000 is more than I'm willing to pay
My central channel speaker is 24x8"
Is there something closer to $300?

I'm also considering building it.
Something like this would work, just need a solid wood construction (pictured is MDF). Do you know where I can buy thick solid wood material to build this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65027510_1126117737574866_3344465714562990080_n.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	2629538  

Last edited by ahtoh; 10-19-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-20-2019, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtoh View Post
$3000 is way too much for me
Even $1000 is more than I'm willing to pay
My central channel speaker is 24x8"
Is there something closer to $300?

I'm also considering building it.
Something like this would work, just need a solid wood construction (pictured is MDF). Do you know where I can buy thick solid wood material to build this?
I would not use solid wood for two reasons. First wood movement there is a lot going on there if you used solid wood it would almost certainly crack somewhere and most likely in multiple places. Secondly if you are planning on using hardwood that will be a substantial investment in wood, way over $300. If you use big box store 2x material see number one as it will blow itself apart as it dries out.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #11 of 11 Old 11-28-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Update: I eventually purchased PLATEAU SR-V 75 for $430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page