How many people can I fit in 11 feet? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By dennwood

post #1 of 12 Old 11-23-2018, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
How many people can I fit in 11 feet?

I have right around 11 feet (maybe 12 if I push it) to fit some sort of couch in front of my projector screen. This is a new HT area in my basement, so I did not have anything there before and have no idea how many people I can fit.

I don't like the idea of a traditional sectional with a 90 degree on the end since it would be annoying to watch a movie sitting there, but I also didn't want very defined seats like typical theater seating since that won't fit as many people (no way to squish people in).

I wanted some sort of curved seating, with maybe one or two reclining portions. I have looked around at some of the places people buy nice HT seating on the forums, but all I have found is very "designated" seating stuff. Nothing like a couch where you can really lay out if you want, or squish more people in if needed.
Also, I don't really have room for a second row, and would need to elevate it even if I did, so I don't think that is much of a consideration right now. I think the most I might be able to do for additional seating is maybe a beanbag in front or maybe a few small uncomfortable dining table chairs behind.

Anyone know of anything that might fit the bill? Speaking of bills, I had hoped to not spend more than about $2k, but some of this custom stuff is quite a bit more expensive, so for now I just want to see my options.

Any suggestions are appreciated, and I will continue to scour the boards for ideas!

Last edited by Malodium; 11-23-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-24-2018, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You could look at a place like wayfair, not necessarily to purchase from them but to get idea's. You can get the dimensions for what you like on most sites also. Gotta start somewhere and that's as good a place as any.
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/ca...ts-c46093.html
https://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php?...true&class_id=

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
post #3 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I think it really depends on your needs for the room. I had about 11 feet wide to work with, but wanted two steps on either side of the front row so I could only fit 2 chairs in the front and 3 in the back. Otherwise, I could have put 3 across there. Sound should also be a consideration, as well. If you care about people on the side having a good surround experience it might change your thinking of how many to squeeze in. I also have 2 Yogibo's (overpriced beanbags) that I use for people to sit on if more than 5 people are watching a movie. I got my seats from HTMarket.com and they have some inexpensive space-saver options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 894
If it was an elevator... about 30...
post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 06:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5291 Post(s)
Liked: 4891
4 fusion Jives with a center loveseat and convertible armrest is 109 inches wide. Pic of a theater with them attached, You could pull the armrest and put 3 skinny butt people in the middle for a total of 5

You could also order two armless chairs and two ends for a 4 across no middle armrest configuration. Then add the armrests when you have 4 or less seated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	2488504  
m0j0 likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 11-28-2018 at 06:53 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 501
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In all seriousness, i was shopping around at American Furniture Warehouse and found a theater friendly customizable set that might be what you're looking for. The online pictures aren't doing them justice (in terms of looks or configuration options) but these ones: https://www.afw.com/en/everest-3pc-s...l-w-laf-chaise (scroll down to look at the options). The big thing is they have cup holder consoles (with storage) that you can put in between seating elements, and you can buy the pieces individually instead of being forced into one configuration. And you can have the ends be the huge "wedge" or a chaise lounger. It was insanely comfortable. You'd be able to squeeze a lot of people in yet also still have defined seats and throw in a cup holder or two if you have space
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess this model doesn't have recliners. If you do want recliners, AFW had other similarly configurable theater friendly seating that had recliner options. I didn't pay much attention because I prefer having a chaise or giant ottoman to sprawl out on.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. And the jokes

I sort of shy away from dedicated theater seating since I want to be able to sprawl out at times. But I do see the loveseat option might work with some of the theater seating. Are the seats as deep as typical sectional sofa seating like the one linked above?

What is the 'sprawlability' score for seats like that?

I might have to end up just going the sectional route and maybe turning it sideways a little, then adding a big beanbag chair in front of that.
I wish I could go two rows deep but recliners just take up too much room.

Sucks that the nearest big city is 200 miles away. Never anything in my area to go see in person!
post #10 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I have 10 ft or so of space and just got rid of the sectional for the same reason you cited. Ended up getting Octane Cloud XS850 which span 120" (10 ft) for four seats. You could do these in two love seats configuration..so some sprawl there with the option to have four recline. Bestbuy.ca has a good deal right now so almost half price delivered vs ordering from the US (I'm in Canada). I also looked at just doing two love seats with recliners, but they were a lot more than the XS850 right now...
post #11 of 12 Old 03-14-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennwood View Post
I have 10 ft or so of space and just got rid of the sectional for the same reason you cited. Ended up getting Octane Cloud XS850 which span 120" (10 ft) for four seats. You could do these in two love seats configuration..so some sprawl there with the option to have four recline. Bestbuy.ca has a good deal right now so almost half price delivered vs ordering from the US (I'm in Canada). I also looked at just doing two love seats with recliners, but they were a lot more than the XS850 right now...

How do you like the chairs? I’m looking at bestbuy right now and they are on sale. Thinking of ordering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 97
No complaints on the seats..and the price was right. The 4" of rear clearance was important in this application.

If you look at the Cloud XS 850 specs, these seats are on the narrower side which is why I ordered them. A row of four as seen is 121" wide and if configured as two love seats (which I should have done), they shrink down to 111".

Doing it again though, I'd order two left and two right handers to make two love seats. This gives a few more lounging options.

m0j0 likes this.

Last edited by dennwood; 04-04-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page