Manual vs Power Seating - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Manual vs Power Seating

I'm looking at getting manual reclining seats and wanted to know if anyone had experience with the manual recline of Seatcraft, Fusion or HTM?

I have a 10yr old single recliner (not sure what brand, but it wasn't crazy expensive) that has manual recline and I can stop it at any point between upright and full recline and it will stay in place. I was told the Seatcraft Grenada seats don't do that. It's either upright or full recline, no in-between. I don't want a wire running across my living room and I don't really see the advantage for power seating (other than personal preference) given my experience with my existing recliner.

I'm considering the Seatcraft Grenada, Fusion Jive or Tribute, or HTM Somerset if anyone has input on any of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 05:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5958 Post(s)
Liked: 5526
I have Berkline power seats in my space. If I had to get new seats and didn't want to look at a cord I would put up with battery powered seats rather than go manual. I can't sit still more than 20 minutes I like to change positions and have it stay.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

I was advised against using a battery pack. Told it was more trouble than it's worth. I don't really have the issue of moving around a lot. And if I do it takes half a second to get right back where I was positioned. My main concern is that the quality of the manual recline mechanism will not be the same as my old recliner since many manufacturers have moved away from it and my order would be more of a one-off scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

"my order would be more of a one-off scenario"

Get to a showroom and try them out. California, Chicago or South Jersey. I doubt they will build you a chair with anything other than a stock mechanism.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 11-26-2018 at 09:28 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to find out what recliner I have currently. It's a Palliser Camio/Coda/Fortune (it's changed names several times since I bought it back in 2007). Anyone know if the manual recline mechanisms used by HT Design, Fusion or Seatcraft are on par with Palliser?
post #6 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Get to a showroom and try them out. California, Chicago or South Jersey. I doubt they will build you a chair with anything other than a stock mechanism.
The only seat I would be able to try out would be the Seatcraft since it comes with manual recline. Both HT Design and Fusion would require a custom order. If their stock mechanism is on par with Palliser I'll have no worries since that's held up for 11 years and allows me to have infinite adjustment and stays in place (doesn't lock, just with body weight)
post #7 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 09:53 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Palliser still makes HT seating.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Palliser still makes HT seating.
That could be an option. Their seats are significantly more expensive though, that's why I'm looking for a possible alternative.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-27-2018, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by elduderino_az View Post
I was able to find out what recliner I have currently. It's a Palliser Camio/Coda/Fortune (it's changed names several times since I bought it back in 2007). Anyone know if the manual recline mechanisms used by HT Design, Fusion or Seatcraft are on par with Palliser?
We use legget and platt recline mechs but the manual recline only stop mid position and all the way back recline. In summary you would have upright, mid position and all the way back are the 3 choices. From my experience of being a palliser dealer that's the same thing their reclining seat does, perhaps though they had a special latch to stop it anywhere in that style which I never heard of.

We can do manual in leather but it's about 8 weeks.

Regards,
Alan
post #10 of 14 Old 11-27-2018, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTmarket View Post
We use legget and platt recline mechs but the manual recline only stop mid position and all the way back recline. In summary you would have upright, mid position and all the way back are the 3 choices. From my experience of being a palliser dealer that's the same thing their reclining seat does, perhaps though they had a special latch to stop it anywhere in that style which I never heard of.

We can do manual in leather but it's about 8 weeks.

Regards,
Alan
My Palliser chair has the same 3 locked positions, but at any point in between the 3 positions the chair can be stopped (not lock in place mechanically) and be completely still just because of my body weight. There are an infinite number of positions between the 3 official locked positions that you can sit in. It's no different than the power seating. People keep saying that having infinite positions is unique to power so I can't tell if my chair is just a fluke or if this is fairly common. Hopefully some people with manual recline chairs will chime in.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-30-2018, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by elduderino_az View Post
My Palliser chair has the same 3 locked positions, but at any point in between the 3 positions the chair can be stopped (not lock in place mechanically) and be completely still just because of my body weight. There are an infinite number of positions between the 3 official locked positions that you can sit in. It's no different than the power seating. People keep saying that having infinite positions is unique to power so I can't tell if my chair is just a fluke or if this is fairly common. Hopefully some people with manual recline chairs will chime in.
I just sat in a paliser and didn’t care for the manual version at all . Much preferred the electric versions ,as I could find a better sweet spot . So that’s why I’ve ordered .
Each to his own of course

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
post #12 of 14 Old 08-06-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Where is the one in South Jersey?
post #13 of 14 Old 08-08-2019, 12:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

South jersey would be Rtheaters.com make an appointment with Roman
post #14 of 14 Old 08-09-2019, 03:06 PM
rsh
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 161
PreciseD,

We are actually in Central Jersey - Bridgewater, NJ 08807

PM or email me, and I will provide the address.

We have both manual and motorized recliners - 7 different style groups on the floor for you to see and try.

Roman
rtheaters.com
FusionCollectionSeating.com
Ultimate Home Entertainment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page