Home Theater Seating Recommendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By BAMABLUHD

post #1 of 8 Old 01-03-2019, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Home Theater Seating Recommendation

Happy New Year Everyone!
Although I hope to start a comprehensive HT construction thread, I'm looking for some recommendations for seating. There so many brands and price points that it's difficult to make a decision without kicking the tires and looking under the hood on everything that's out there. Even deciding between which features are must haves versus nice to haves makes one's head spin. The basic info is two rows of 4 seats in a 24Lx17Wx11H, 7.2.6 Atmos enabled room. Comfort is of paramount importance. Next is value, budget is such nebulous term! From what I've gleaned from other posts, features and quality offen run parallel but not exclusively commensurate with price. Our style is more modern than traditional.

I've made a list of general features to ponder:

Size? Ability to fit in the room but is considerate of all body types.
Motorized?
Leg and head rest motorized?
Leather, Microsuede or some other fabric?
If Leather, are top grades worth the $$$?
Cup holders (one per seat or on every arm)?
USB ports?
Lights? On Cup holders and/or ???
Removable snack trays (We've been known to have meals while viewing)?
Facilitates bass shakers?
Other features/considerations not captured above????

Very much appreciate feedback from the collective wisdom and experience of the AVSF Inter-webs
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2019, 03:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5544 Post(s)
Liked: 5136
In my book power recline is mandatory for the captains chair. You don't have to put it on the back row cheap seats if you are trying to save money.

You really should take a weekend trip to Chicago and visit Alan at HTmarket, he has a bunch of models with different features on the floor and you can try them on. Make an appointment.
avtvhdbass likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
In my book power recline is mandatory for the captains chair. You don't have to put it on the back row cheap seats if you are trying to save money.

You really should take a weekend trip to Chicago and visit Alan at HTmarket, he has a bunch of models with different features on the floor and you can try them on. Make an appointment.
Yes Ann Arbor is about 4 hours drive, could be done in a day trip. We have ten of our own styles here of the HT Design Seating Line and we have two Palliser models also. We have leather samples for both theater seating lines and more. We also show some other fun stuff like motorized home theater curtains, back lit led poster frames, and more accessories like carpet.

We have had customers here 20 minutes to 2 hours, you can just make an appointment. If you have time we can also help over the phone narrow it down.

Regards,
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-06-2019, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you both for the feedback. We've been looking for a reason to visit Chicago again. It's been a couple of years!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I just ordered two individual power recliners from Theaterseatstore.com. Ordered the Octane Flex Power Recliner with power headrest and LED lighting on cupholders and on a rail on bottom front of the seats for a little added punch.

Have a buddy who has another Octane row of seats and felt that they were great. the craftsmanship is that of high end furniture with the price to match!

But really, seats will likely be with me for over the next decade and I'm looking forward to the February delivery.

Take a look at Octane as well as any of the other better brands; likely won't go wrong with any quality leather seating option. I think the Flex are full grain Nappa, but do know its the upgraded surface that is very supple and durable.

LG 65B6 OLED 4K HDR| Pioneer ELITE VSX-52 | Samsung K8500 4K Blu Ray | Polk Audio RTi and CS2 5.1 | Video cables by Monoprice! Audio cables by Audioquest
PS4 Pro| Apple TV | Sonos | Amazon Echo
post #6 of 8 Old 06-30-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post
Ordered the Octane Flex Power Recliner with power headrest and LED lighting on cupholders and on a rail on bottom front of the seats for a little added punch.
Thoughts on the Flex so far?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-30-2019, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I've been looking at Theater seats on the cheap and ended up with some Coaster models from Craigslist.

For buying new, the Seatcraft Rialto's looked like a good value seat. Full Grain Leather, and a step above some of the cheaper options for not more money. You can get them with free motorized recline every so often (normally $100 per seat).

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsharp View Post
Thoughts on the Flex so far?
Apologies for my tardiness; totally missed this question. Now that I've owned 2 of the seats since late February, I can say that overall, the seats are decent.

From a seating prospective, they have medium firmness and comfortable to recline for hours. I wish the armrests were a bit softer or more plush, but this is a small criticisim.

To the important part; the electronics. The switch system has a few issues. For instance, the seats have a cool looking, but worthless bright blue lighting system on the bottom. This is something you won't want to use during the watching of a movie, etc, but for walk up presentation, looks pretty cool. However, my switch failed after about 3 weeks or so, defaulted on; this was very annoying. Good thing is that TheaterSeatStore.com were aware of the potential for the light button to fail and quickly mailed a replacement switch assembly at no cost. They offered to have a tech come out, but said it wasn't a difficult repair and this was accurate as it was easy and took only 15 minutes. Based off of this experience, I no longer use the lights at all. The seat adjustment buttons have never given any issues, but I do worry a bit, but both Octane and the merchant bot have good customer service.

The seats are comfortable to both sit in upright and reclined, but reclining is certainly best.

Although I could have opted to spend more for more plush seats, for what they cost (mid-price point), think the seats are a good buy and I don't regret getting them. The seats show no wear armrests have pockets deep enough to hide my 15' MacBook Pro plus more, has a nice and useful accessory port, and good sized cup holders. Plus, the seats look very nice.
tsharp likes this.

LG 65B6 OLED 4K HDR| Pioneer ELITE VSX-52 | Samsung K8500 4K Blu Ray | Polk Audio RTi and CS2 5.1 | Video cables by Monoprice! Audio cables by Audioquest
PS4 Pro| Apple TV | Sonos | Amazon Echo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page