DVD storage rack help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jphillips63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 136
DVD storage rack help

Hello I’m in need of storage for all my Blu-ray movies. I have in excess of 200 movies and growing so I’d like to find a nice rack that doesn’t take up a lot of floor space yet big enough to hold my collection.
Thanks in advance on any advice given.


Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Sony 65" A1E | Samsung 55" UH8500
Marantz SR6011 AVR l Martin Logan motion 40's, motion 30, and motion 15 rears, Martin Logan AFX Atmos speakers atop the front L&R
SVS PB 16 Ultra x3 l SVS PC12 Plus
Oppo UDP-203 | Samsung UBD-K8500
jphillips63 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 9,634
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 2523
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 02-26-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Moebius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips63 View Post
Hello I’m in need of storage for all my Blu-ray movies. I have in excess of 200 movies and growing so I’d like to find a nice rack that doesn’t take up a lot of floor space yet big enough to hold my collection.
Thanks in advance on any advice given.


Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
If you have basic handyman skills (cut a straight line, pre-drill a pilot hole), you can create a nice semi-built in shelving system for relatively cheap. I spent less than $100 on my setup, and that was with paying more for some premium 1x3s to give a more polished look. I've got more than 600 discs on these two shelves. And I don't know why the forum insists on rotating this picture 90 degrees, but it does...

Edit: Also, just to note this pic was taken before I painted the screw heads black to match.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media Shelves.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2531400  

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
Moebius is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
mskreis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Clancy, MT, USA
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
If you have basic handyman skills (cut a straight line, pre-drill a pilot hole), you can create a nice semi-built in shelving system for relatively cheap. I spent less than $100 on my setup, and that was with paying more for some premium 1x3s to give a more polished look. I've got more than 600 discs on these two shelves. And I don't know why the forum insists on rotating this picture 90 degrees, but it does...



Edit: Also, just to note this pic was taken before I painted the screw heads black to match.


Looks very nice. It’s hard to tell from the photo but are your shelves the same depth as the sides?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JVC RS640; RUIPRO 10m HDMI cable; Marantz AV7704; Lumagen Pro 4240; Oppo BDP-203;Triad Silver LCR, Onwall Bronze Surround, Inwall Bronze Omni, KEF Inceiling Ci 160QR x 4; Dual RSS460HO-4 18" SWs
mskreis is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 02-27-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Moebius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis View Post
Looks very nice. It’s hard to tell from the photo but are your shelves the same depth as the sides?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, everything was built with 1x3s. They stand on the floor (by my choice) and as such I use a single bracket at the top to secure to the wall. The design was based on some Youtube videos on building one for $25. I choose to go with higher end lumber so it was straighter. Cut to my needed sizes, pre-drilled holes for the side screws, and painted. Because I was able to go much taller than any store bought shelving is going to, I was able to fit all of my discs in that corner, which amounts to some 650 movies, plus another 50-100 miscellaneous videos, box sets, and TV series.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
Moebius is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2019, 02:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was running out of storage space for my growing DVD collection. I was also running out of ideas but Neo’s compact DVD storage boxes saved my time and my collection.
Lift Rank is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,517
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 742

I have a bunch of old bedframes that came out of the trash and a reuse it center, and they were cut down with a Harbor Freight 4" angle grinder, and cleaned up with
it. They are sitting in the garage in primer, waiting for the nice weather and finish coat of paint. I will notch some nice 2x4, and insert the L shaped metal, and secure with
a screw in the face of the metal. I expect to end up with cheap storage, that will be very solid and nice looking and fill a 14' section of wall.
Tedd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off