• 1 Post By usernameunknown

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Surge protectors

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...LUDjP36dntQb9A

Do they really matter? Can I buy a $30 Rocketfish surge protector and it would be as good as a $600 Panamax?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
They do matter and there are differences. The price differences are typically due to distinction in functionality. Surge protectors are, as the name implies, devices that protect your equipment from a surge of power. They're rated based on energy absorption expressed in joules and clamping voltage expressed in volts. Generally higher joules are better and lower volts (clamping) are better.

The more expensive devices like the Panamax are classified as surge protectors AND power conditioner. They have additional functionality that results in a significantly increased price. Things like isolation transformers and power line noise filters.

My decision would be dictated by the quality of the power in my house or area. I've never lived in a home that, IMO, required the functionality of a power conditioner, but everyone's use case is different. I've aways bought quality, appropriately spec'd (based on the gear behind it) surge protectors and have never had any issues (knock on wood).
post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunknown View Post
They do matter and there are differences. The price differences are typically due to distinction in functionality. Surge protectors are, as the name implies, devices that protect your equipment from a surge of power. They're rated based on energy absorption expressed in joules and clamping voltage expressed in volts. Generally higher joules are better and lower volts (clamping) are better.

The more expensive devices like the Panamax are classified as surge protectors AND power conditioner. They have additional functionality that results in a significantly increased price. Things like isolation transformers and power line noise filters.

My decision would be dictated by the quality of the power in my house or area. I've never lived in a home that, IMO, required the functionality of a power conditioner, but everyone's use case is different. I've aways bought quality, appropriately spec'd (based on the gear behind it) surge protectors and have never had any issues (knock on wood).
I ended up with the Panamax 4300, but was offered the 5300 for just $40 more but open box at bestbuy. Would you take the open box at almost a $200 discount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-04-2019, 07:39 AM

If the price difference was only $40 I would be inclined to go after the 5300 if for no other reason than the increase joule rating. I don't know what sort of equipment you have sitting behind Panamax, but the piece of mind would be worth it to me aside from additional features. The open box piece of it is neither here nor there for me assuming the manufacturer warranty and bestbuy support are still intact, which my understanding is that they are.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-04-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunknown View Post
If the price difference was only $40 I would be inclined to go after the 5300 if for no other reason than the increase joule rating. I don't know what sort of equipment you have sitting behind Panamax, but the piece of mind would be worth it to me aside from additional features. The open box piece of it is neither here nor there for me assuming the manufacturer warranty and bestbuy support are still intact, which my understanding is that they are.
My problem is that the 5300 is pretty bulky and weighs 30 lbs. It's a clear upgrade, but my shelf won't hold the weight or the dimensions.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/panamax...?skuId=6581907

This is what I purchased. I currently will have the Samsung Q90, Panasonic UB-820, Cable TV BOX and will eventually have the Samsung Q90 Soundbar. Will I be OK with this model in your opinion?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-04-2019, 01:11 PM

Yes, I think you'll be just a-ok with the 4300, Panamax makes great products throughout their lineup. Everyone has different constraints. Given yours I certainly don't think going with the 4300 is a bad move by any stretch.
EdFlo likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-04-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFlo View Post
My problem is that the 5300 is pretty bulky and weighs 30 lbs. It's a clear upgrade, but my shelf won't hold the weight or the dimensions.
It does not weigh 30 pounds - it weighs just shy of 13 pounds:

https://www.panamax.com/product/max-...tlets-M5300-PM

(Check SPECS tab....)

It's just too deep for your shelf? Anyway, the 4300 should take care of you, but that's likely a killer deal on the 5300.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page