3D printed props - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By woodgieroo
  • 1 Post By woodgieroo
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2019, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
woodgieroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
3D printed props

I was interested in having some props/decorations in my theater room and as the university I work at has 3D printers, I thought it would be cool to have them done there.


Until I saw how much they charge - $0.25/gram. If you're printing small things, that's certainly no big deal. But the things I was looking at are much larger. And there are quite a few of them. The first item right out of the gate would have set me back about $100.


So I bought my own 3D printer for $200 instead. My first two pieces have finished printing, now I just need to glue the halves together, fill in the gaps and paint.



I did some searching but surprisingly didn't see that anyone else was printing things like this. If you are, feel free to post them. I need more ideas (although I already have a hell of a backlog) of things to print!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_155044.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	845.6 KB
ID:	2549912  
MAYAmanIGN and rboster like this.
woodgieroo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
woodgieroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
New print just finished. Obviously the T-800 from The Terminator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15547595483182733461683226267944_1554759585552.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	887.3 KB
ID:	2550552  
rboster likes this.
woodgieroo is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 02:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgieroo View Post
New print just finished. Obviously the T-800 from The Terminator.
I actually think this is a pretty neat idea.

My Could prob configure some sort of lightbox type area in a theatre, even light up the idol especially to mimic the movie, could be an excellent piece in a theater.

Would look for painting tips from guys who paint stuff for Miniature Wargames like Warhammer 40k, Infity etc. They have perfected the art of painting plastic imo, could prob do some really sick stuff with little work.

Like for the terminator skull and idols both, getting metallic finishes on them wouldnt be too difficult with the right sprays/priming.
Maestrosc is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I am considering making shadowboxes out of my absorptive panel room treatments rather than plain slabs or fabric-printed posters. This might be a clever way to fill them. How did you come up with the models?
ScottAvery is online now  
post #5 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
woodgieroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
I actually think this is a pretty neat idea.

My Could prob configure some sort of lightbox type area in a theatre, even light up the idol especially to mimic the movie, could be an excellent piece in a theater.
I wasn't planning on supplemental lighting for the items but it would be a good addition, even if it just low powered LEDs.

My intent was simply to pull some of the pallet wood off the back wall, build 4 sided boxes out of plywood for a floating shelf then use the pallet wood for the face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Would look for painting tips from guys who paint stuff for Miniature Wargames like Warhammer 40k, Infity etc. They have perfected the art of painting plastic imo, could prob do some really sick stuff with little work.

Like for the terminator skull and idols both, getting metallic finishes on them wouldnt be too difficult with the right sprays/priming.
I have the epoxy, filler, primer and paint for the idol. Truth be told, I wasn't planning on painting the Terminator, besides some red for the eyes and maybe black for the T-800. I could always do it at some point in the future, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I am considering making shadowboxes out of my absorptive panel room treatments rather than plain slabs or fabric-printed posters. This might be a clever way to fill them. How did you come up with the models?
That would be cool. Please post pictures if you do it!

I'm not nearly good enough at 3D modeling to create my own things. Thankfully there are sites like Thingiverse where people have already done the heavy lifting. You just need to download, print and paint.
woodgieroo is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2019, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,517
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 742
I could see some practical applications such as conversion of in wall speakers to overhead ATMOS speakers, and maybe wave guides for speakers, for those talented enough to design 3D components.

I could also see media bookcase style ends for media shelves or racks.



My sole printed application home theater related, to date, is a printed fan bracket to blow air over the pci-e M2 ssd. But I could also see where I could easily use this sort of application to custom build interior components
for a custom built htpc, Things like a ssd holder, and fan housings, that could basically go into a metal box, that could be given something a faceplate made from MDF and given a gloss piano painted finish.
Tedd is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2019, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
woodgieroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I could see some practical applications such as conversion of in wall speakers to overhead ATMOS speakers, and maybe wave guides for speakers, for those talented enough to design 3D components.

I could also see media bookcase style ends for media shelves or racks.



My sole printed application home theater related, to date, is a printed fan bracket to blow air over the pci-e M2 ssd. But I could also see where I could easily use this sort of application to custom build interior components
for a custom built htpc, Things like a ssd holder, and fan housings, that could basically go into a metal box, that could be given something a faceplate made from MDF and given a gloss piano painted finish.
SSD rack
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:552706

Cable Organizer
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1320948

One of many bookends
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3104776

The list goes on and on!

The problem with 3D printed diffusers is the amount you typically need and the size limitation of the printer bed (the Ender 3 is roughly 8"x8"). Short of the time involved, the designs you could do would really not have a limit.
woodgieroo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
3d printing , decorations , props , replicas

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off