Sound Clip Tied to Outlet Connection - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sound Clip Tied to Outlet Connection

This is a really strange concept, but I would love to implement something like this. I am a huge Star Wars fan and have a lot of Star Wars decor in my theater. I would love to add Star Wars sound effects to certain automated functions of my theater. I was thinking the best way to do this would be to use the power outlet, so it gets timed with the power of the item. For example:

I have a Star Wars statue that lights up (lightsaber). I have it plugged into a WeMo switch, so I can automate the lightsaber turning on or off for different activities in the room. I would love to plug some sort of MP3 speaker or something that has a lightsaber sound effect downloaded to it...into the same outlet. So when that WeMo outlet turns on, the statue lights up and the MP3 sound clip plays automatically. Is something like that even possible to achieve?

If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-12-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Possible, yes, but pretty sure you'd have to design and build from scratch. The parts to build it could probably be sourced at Radio Shack (if it was still around). A kit box with the appropriate voltage control, board to attach a small speaker and memory, and whatever circuits would be needed to trigger the playback on circuit completion. I haven't done any kit work like that in a couple decades, so no help there, but if I was thinking along that line, I'd find an old toy that plays a sound when you squeeze a certain area, take it apart and look at the trigger process to see if you could reverse engineer the idea.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.

HJ Movie House Build Thread
post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I know this isn't what you are after, but I've used this device to trigger nature sounds whenever someone walks into my gazebo. You could put lightsaber sounds onto the micro SD card...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Robert Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I don't know what sort of automation support there is for WeMo, as I think it may be more of a remote control system then true automation, but with a system like Insteon with an ISY-994 or other controller, you could script most any response.

How do you turn on the lightsaber? do you push a wemo switch or use something like harmony remote? Harmony could be used to trigger other things simultaneously. I have not used it but I think there is a way to activate IFTTT from Harmony hub, which could make just about any web-based call.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
I know this isn't what you are after, but I've used this device to trigger nature sounds whenever someone walks into my gazebo. You could put lightsaber sounds onto the micro SD card...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is a cool idea, too. You might also consider a digital doorbell with recordable options. I know there are some that can be activated by other means, like a wifi connection.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea85 View Post
Is something like that even possible to achieve?
Yes it is... I do thing like this. I have door sensors, light switches, and motion sensors that are tied to events in my HA ( Smartthings) system. When the events are triggered they play sound xyz. Check out Wemo's IFTTT channel and see if there is anything that would work for you. I do mine though Chromecast (audio) devices, and a buddy of mine does it though his Sonos speakers.

Last edited by robsch; 05-14-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Typos from hell.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea85 View Post
This is a really strange concept, but I would love to implement something like this. I am a huge Star Wars fan and have a lot of Star Wars decor in my theater. I would love to add Star Wars sound effects to certain automated functions of my theater. I was thinking the best way to do this would be to use the power outlet, so it gets timed with the power of the item. For example:

I have a Star Wars statue that lights up (lightsaber). I have it plugged into a WeMo switch, so I can automate the lightsaber turning on or off for different activities in the room. I would love to plug some sort of MP3 speaker or something that has a lightsaber sound effect downloaded to it...into the same outlet. So when that WeMo outlet turns on, the statue lights up and the MP3 sound clip plays automatically. Is something like that even possible to achieve?
Maybe some clues from this video https://www.cnet.com/videos/anils-st...-home-theater/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page