Octane Viper XL-500 quick review lots of pics - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By MAYAmanIGN
  • 1 Post By MAYAmanIGN
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Octane Viper XL-500 quick review lots of pics

OK, I’ve had the seats for about three hours now and they are great! The leather is super soft, but not soft enough that you’d be concerned that it would tear. Its an odd feeling as its supple under your hand yet tough enough that people can just plop down in the seat and you wouldn’t be worried.

They are really comfortable. They are not firm, not sure what that other person was talking about. The seat is more springy than firm to me. I hated my previous seats because you would sink into the cushions and it became uncomfortable. These are springy and have just enough give to be cozy. The seats are plenty wide, so unless you’re 500lbs I think you’ll fit just fine.

The reclining mechanism is really smooth and quiet and what I like most is that as you recline your butt doesn’t slide forward. The seat portion has a slight rearward incline bias which keeps your bottom firmly planted in the “Butt portion” of the seat. I have another reclining seat and its horrible as the more you recline, the more you slide forward. These don’t do that thankfully.

The headsets are manually adjustable only, not a big deal. They click as you adjust them. They do not have a hard stop so if you go all the way up the headrest comes out. So when you want to move them remember not to hold them by the headrest.

The lights are activated by a button by the recline buttons, which are all metal and so far work great. I like that the lights aren’t on all the time. There is also a USB port there next to those buttons so you can charge your tablet. A good thing about the lights is that they aren’t super bright on the cup holder or buttons. In fact the other buttons are not lit at all *thank you Octane*. I find those lights on other seats super annoying. It bright enough when the cup holder is in that you can find the cup holder, but won’t distract you. The cup holders are super easy to get out for cleaning and are made of aluminum, not plastic.

The table is a simple, good quality table that attaches to the metal insert grommet on either side of the chair. Nice quality and gets the job done. Its not large so you won’t be eating a 4 course meal on it but it’s definitely big enough for a bag of popcorn and a soda. Just FYI, the table does not have a lip to keep sliding stuff from falling off, so in case you bump the table realize that stuff is going to slide off.

The small headrests are a revelation! I am coming from theater recliners with the wide poofy headrest and never liked the cocoon nature of these chairs. I never used that entire headrest and it does block the sound from your rear channels. These headrest are completely unobtrusive for the most part and your rear height and rear channels will definitely be clearer for sure.

Finally, and this is completely subjective, these are the best looking theater seats being sold today. This of course is my opinion, YMMV. They look modern with clean, classy lines. They are large chairs but don’t looks large. Its like the Porsche 911 sports car of home theater chairs. Again, this is my opinion only. They fit in nicely with my humble home theater decor.

Just an FYI, I am not a large person, maybe 5’8” and with the seat in its down position my soles of my feet just barely touch the ground, so these are large seats, their clean lines kind of hide their size. So those of you shorter than I will have the little kid syndrome as your legs dangle LOL.

IMO these seats are worth the asking price for their comfort and stunning looks. Here are some photos of my humble home theater and game room and how the Vipers fit in.

This was the original concept rendering

bubbrik likes this.

Last edited by MAYAmanIGN; 05-11-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Nice review! Two questions please. With the foot rest fully horizontal, do you need a pillow on the head rest to have your eyes pointed to the screen? Also, would it be possible to take a picture with someone sitting in the chair so I can get a feel for the headrest/head proportions?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Fully reclined you would definitely need a neck pillow as you’re almost horizontal. While most recliners in the fully reclined position push you forward, these do not. The rear recline doesn’t also move forward. That is why I hate space saving recliners, they do that very thing I hate, they push you forward. These things are give or take an inch 70 inches long when reclined. Bad for people with tight spaces but great for those who care about comfort.

I am a short 5’8”ish and my feet barely touch the ground and the top of my head only goes up half of the headrest. So while they don’t look large, the seat is pretty fudging huge. They are wide as well. I’d say 22 to 23 inches of space. I’m totally comfortable in them, but if I was just 4 or 5 inches taller I would be even more comfortable. Right now I kinda feel like a kid in an adults chair LOL. But still comfortable.

I had my friends over last night for the inaugural movie and they where a hit. My brother is 6’ 4” 310 and he loved the chairs and it seems the chair wasn’t struggling to move his considerable mass when reclining. His head was perfectly in the center of the headrest, so it seems these chairs where scaled to larger people. YMMV. As a short person I am fully satisfied with this purchase despite my tiny legs.

Oh, if you are a video gamer these seats are a god send. The little table is great for putting my ipad on, the controller when I go to the rest room. I was stuck in Dark Souls 3 and I swiveled the table and went to game faqs and then swiveled the table back and kept playing. I adjusted the recline for different types of games, for FPS games I like sitting more upright and the chair gives you a nice upright position for that. For RPG games I go somewhere in between. Got my coke in one cup holder and my Snickers in the other.

So the chairs are ideal for video game play as well. Even for PC games. I have a Razer lap board I use for Steam big screen mode. In my old chair I had to use it at an angle because it didn’t fit in-between the arms. Now it fits perfectly and when I need to get up I don’t have to reach down and put it on the floor, I just place it on the swivel table.

As you can tell I in love, haha.
Jive Turkey likes this.

Last edited by MAYAmanIGN; 05-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 03:21 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6013 Post(s)
Liked: 5594
Thank you for the review, something I need to put on my short list if I move. My current chairs (Berkline 45099s) destroy my surround effect.
MAYAmanIGN likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-16-2019, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

The seats have been seeing a ton of use during movie weekends with my friends and video game time. They’re wonderful. They are breaking in nicely and the memory foam/Spring seats are super comfortable. Buy with confidence is my opinion.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-02-2019, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
great photos - thx

thanks for the photos....better than on the manufacturers site :-)

Tarun
post #7 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I tried to get someone's opinion but couldn't find anyone who used them to give feedback.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-th...reat-idea.html

I went with the Curve HR which has been a disaster to the point we don't even use them. The controls flake out, bright blue lights won't turn off, etc. After arguing with them they confirmed it was a manufacturer defect and did send me replacement control modules for all 7 chairs we bought but I have to pull them all apart and file the holes open for them to fit? I haven't had time for that. Total joke.

Glad to hear your Vipers have worked out.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-11-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
@MAYAmanIGN

Thanks for the review. Really a clean classic look to the chairs....they will be on my short list.

I had a question about your media storage cases in one of the pics....looks like black case with glass door? Can you tell me who makes those or a site link?

Thanks
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page