• 1 Post By Mocs123

post #1 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 97
bonded leather for seating?

So I've been doing some research on theater seating and seriously looking to get a 4 piece set. I'm 99% settled on Roman Fusion Jives 0|00|0 configuration as I'm limited on space and at the 109" size it would be the only 4 seater I could go with that would fit my current space. and I've read a ton of good reviews here on this site regarding these seats and this company as a whole. Now what I'm really wanting to know is, just how bad is fully bonded leather as an option for the cover?? It's not a price issue for me but when I look at photos of the leather vs bonded leather I have to say I personally like the bonded look. I like that non shine look for some reason. And it just looks kind of soft and more comfortable. Not having the ability to see first hand I could be wrong so I'm asking here just how much less durable is bonded vs the real leather? I'm thinking I'll go with real leather in the end but I just wanted to get a few opinions from people that may own either.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've had desk chairs in bonded leather and after a new years of steady use, they start to shed like a snake sheds its skin. Admittedly, these were not premium, high-end items, but I tend to avoid bonded leather. I did so when I purchased leather theater seats. If you dislike leather, you might also consider microfiber upholstery. FWIW....
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 05:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5539 Post(s)
Liked: 5134
Just say no to bonded leather if you expect more than a couple years of use. Just do some research on the subject. Not my picture I just picked one of the hundreds you can find doing a google image search on bonded leather failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bonded-leather-couch-peeling.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	2581026  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 05:38 AM
rsh
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The industry standard for bonded leather is about 5 years.

While we have sold and shipped literally 1000s of chairs in bonded leather, we did have some folks who had issues with it. It could range from 2 years to as long as you own the chairs. It depends on how often you use it, and what kind of environment (temperature, humidity, heat, hair products can effect the bonded leather badly) the chairs are in.

We have the chairs in our warehouse showroom in both bonded leather and top grain leather since 2011, when we started shipping our line of seating, and they are still doing quite well with no signs of troubles. 100s of local customers came through our show room to see/try the chairs, so the chairs have been abused quite a bit.

Saying all that, top grain leather will definitely serve you longer, and will be a safer bet.

Roman
rtheaters.com
FusionCollectionSeating.com
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the info! It's not that I don't like the leather. I just from the pictures Ive seen like the way the bonded looks. Not sure if I would in real life however. And I definitely will like these to last as long as possible. This will be the main seating and will get use almost on a daily basis so I think I'll be going with the top grain Leather. Thanks again!
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm in the market for HT seating at the moment, and due to budget concerns, I have been looking on Craiglist quite a bit. I can't tell you how many bonded leather chairs I have seen that are just peeling to pieces. Even though I am on a budget, I am doing my best to avoid bonded leather due to that reason. If you like the bonded look and want to go that route, just be aware that they may not last more than a couple of years.
BIGmouthinDC likes this.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
So I've been doing some research on theater seating and seriously looking to get a 4 piece set. I'm 99% settled on Roman Fusion Jives 0|00|0 configuration as I'm limited on space and at the 109" size it would be the only 4 seater I could go with that would fit my current space. and I've read a ton of good reviews here on this site regarding these seats and this company as a whole. Now what I'm really wanting to know is, just how bad is fully bonded leather as an option for the cover?? It's not a price issue for me but when I look at photos of the leather vs bonded leather I have to say I personally like the bonded look. I like that non shine look for some reason. And it just looks kind of soft and more comfortable. Not having the ability to see first hand I could be wrong so I'm asking here just how much less durable is bonded vs the real leather? I'm thinking I'll go with real leather in the end but I just wanted to get a few opinions from people that may own either.

Thanks in advance!
The vast majority of our seats we sell are in leather however we do sell a couple styles in bonded and have not any issues so far. Leather is the safer bet but it's a bit more money.

We can also do our chairs in fabric if you want about a 8 week lead time. I see you live in chicagoland so you might call us up for a visit to our showroom to test drive HT Design seats, we have over 11 styles in our showroom plus a couple Palliser styles.

Regards,
Alan
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't realize you guy's were in Chicago. I'll have to find the address. One reason for me planning on the fusion jives from Roman was i'm limited on space and wanted a 4 seat option. The jives at 109" will just fit. I have looked at your stuff and I do like what you have. I especially like the lighting that's included. But the ones iv'e seen in the same configuration are bit to long for my space.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
I didn't realize you guy's were in Chicago. I'll have to find the address. One reason for me planning on the fusion jives from Roman was i'm limited on space and wanted a 4 seat option. The jives at 109" will just fit. I have looked at your stuff and I do like what you have. I especially like the lighting that's included. But the ones iv'e seen in the same configuration are bit to long for my space.
We have warwick and belmont which are spacesavers you could fit warwick or belmont has power headrest at 109" double loveseat config. You could use the portable armrest in the loveseats.

| _ _ | _ _ |

These seats are spacesavers but still have a 23.5 inch seat width. Warwick has a 42" back and the belmont has 43" headrest down and 46.5" when up. We save with the arms being narrow.

You could do any of the HT Design styles in row of 3 obviously.

Regards,
Alan

Last edited by AVS Forum Notice; 06-17-2019 at 01:27 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5539 Post(s)
Liked: 5134
bonded

a collection of Berkline Bonded leather seat pictures submitted by AVS members. I think all said they were around 5 years old at the time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2303.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	2581564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chairs.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2581566   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-15 23.05.47_zps2ohurvfm.jpg~original.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	2581568  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am over the whole bonded thing and see the issues now with it. I will not go bonded for sure! And I've been looking at the HT design Warwick and Belmont and like the look of them. I plan to schedule an appointment in the next few weeks to go to the showroom for sure! I remeasured and I can just fit in a 114" config but that would be a little tighter than I wanted. I may be able to add in a little wiggle room by moving a few things around. But I'd like to see what the double love seat config would look like vs the 2 seat with one love seat. Luckily I'll be able to when I go to the showroom so I'm excited about that! I think either config I'd be able to swing. The 109" I'd have a little more wiggle room but not sure that's really a big deal at the end of the day.

Last edited by gec5741; 06-18-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page