• 1 Post By Bigus

post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Rack Closet heat question

I posted this in another thread but felt it may have taken that persons stuff off topic a bit so Ill throw it in here:

In my new design I now have a closet where I can place a rack and built it into the theater wall in the rear. I've been looking for racks so this thread will help me. I do have another question for people. This room is not going to be large, the rack my take up 1/4 of the space. In my house plan, I am lucky that we are going to build its door into the garage, it just works. Im worried about temp in this room, does any one have advice as to heat. I do work in data centers in real life but this is a bit of a different situation and figured I needed something more "AV" based.

Right now it will have:

2 x 20 amp dedicated circuits

7 x Outlaw monoblock 200W amps
1 x Outlaw 5 channel 130W amp
Martanz AV8802a receiver
power
xbox
Rocu
Home theater PC (hopefully)
ethernet switch for house
etc... etc... etc...

What can I do for heat that wont create possible sound in the theater through the rack?

My house is going to have heat zones and I am going to dedicate one to this theater, closet and my office. Maybe this will help.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 59
AC Infinity exhaust fans? You can get them with a Thermostat so the fans only cut on when it gets too hot. Do you have a place outside the theater to dump the hot air?

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #3 of 12 Old 07-12-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
AC Infinity exhaust fans? You can get them with a Thermostat so the fans only cut on when it gets too hot. Do you have a place outside the theater to dump the hot air?
The door to that room exits to the garage so if there was a way to evac it out that way, it would probably be good.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-12-2019, 03:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5550 Post(s)
Liked: 5143
The garage shell is designed to a certain fire rating standard and also must prevent any exhaust fumes from entering the house, so venting to the garage is problematic and a violation of building codes. What is above the closet? Do you have access the joist space or attic to vent outside like a bathroom exhaust fan?

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-12-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
The garage shell is designed to a certain fire rating standard and also must prevent any exhaust fumes from entering the house, so venting to the garage is problematic and a violation of building codes. What is above the closet? Do you have access the joist space or attic to vent outside like a bathroom exhaust fan?
I actually remember you from my first theater build in 2007, while you rubbed me wrong at first, I remember growing to really appreciate your knowledge over the 6 months I worked on it. Once again, great advice, I didn't think of that.

This house is a ranch style to its one floor so above the closet is attic. I'll ask the electrician about a whisper quite exhaust fan going up. We did recently bump up the electrical allowance by $3000 to account for dedicated electrical (house will have a 400 amp box). I can throw this request in there. It also reminded me that all my bathrooms need to have whisper quite fans to (unlike our current house where you can hear those fans through the whole house).

post #6 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 12:50 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
while you rubbed me wrong at first, I remember growing to really appreciate your knowledge

You nailed it, guilty as charged, why do you think I picked the moniker Bigmouth? My first career was a management consultant, telling executives how to run their businesses. I've got a pretty thick skin and no time to waste attitude.
Jonas2 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 540
The breadth of big's knowledge is truly impressive. He knows things that can really only be learned by having done it dozens of times in a variety of structures and designs.
Mocs123 likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 03:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Back to the concept I mentioned of using a bathroom exhaust set up to send the hot air outside the house, from an overall energy efficiency perspective if you can redirect it to somewhere else in the house it is a better option. Anytime you suck air out of a house it has to be replaced by outside air. That outside air might need to be cooled or heated depending on the season and it is likely more humid air than you would like. Some projects have dumped the hot air in the return ducts. If the AC is running it gets cooled, If heat is running it just contributes to the effort. If neither are running it forces the air throughout the ducts and distributes the heat in many locations until your thermostat decides to do something.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-13-2019 at 03:31 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sell all those monoblock amps you don't need. That would help tremendously.

If you REALLY want to keep them though...the exhaust fan is a decent idea, but probably won't be enough on it's own. I have 4 Noctua fans on my rack and a vent fan inside my closet. When watching a movie, it will still get to about 86 degrees in my media room by the end of the movie with the thermostat for that side of the house set to 72. Might require a mini split to get things under control.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Talked to our builder today on one of our last steps on finalizing our house plan. Throwing in the best Panasonic Whisper fan in the room (added like $700).

The theater and my office next to it will be on its own zone off the heat pump (3 in the house), my plan is to keep these spaces pretty cold most the time (Im spoiled by my theater now which is in a daylight basement and when its 100+ degrees out and 85 in our middle floor, the theater is always in the high 60's). This room will have an opening into the theater through the rack so this Panasonic unit should suck the hot air up and out while pulling cooler air from the theater through the say 5' x 2' opening where the rack will sit. This is similar to a backup system I had in one of my smaller datacenter in case the AC went out. In that case, the datacenter would pop up to 110 degrees in about 10 minutes and with this heat exchanger (pulling in from a large room next door), it would keep it at about 85 degrees which was good enough for the AC repair. my AV closet wont generate anything near that kinda heat.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalgunner View Post
Sell all those monoblock amps you don't need. That would help tremendously.
They are Outlaw 2200's which feel room temp after 4 hours of pushing them hard.

post #12 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 10:46 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
Talked to our builder today on one of our last steps on finalizing our house plan. Throwing in the best Panasonic Whisper fan in the room (added like $700).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page