24v LED Light Strip help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
24v LED Light Strip Power supply help

So i'm trying add LED lights to my crown molding in my living room. I have to cover 30 feet with 2 corners... I got the light strip on Amazon and my worry is the paper said not to use more than 12v with the IR...

Im so confused, I got a 24v LED strip cause I was told its better for long lengths... I don't know if the power supply provided with this LED strip is sufficient for me or not... When I use the Dim feature I can hear the box buzzing..

The lights also seem to run hot... Am I doing something wrong?... Can anyone help me or point me to the right place cause I feel like Im doing something wrong...

Do I need a better Power supply? is there a better strip for me to use? should I return these and get a different one?...Any help or suggestions are welcome... I just wanna make sure I'm using the proper power supply before I put them up...

Any one got Knowledge on this ? Im in over my head..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67091379_1102707980116889_3294400388895080448_n.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2592258   Click image for larger version

Name:	67566951_506233453478131_845077082261159936_n.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	2592260  

Last edited by JustDingus; 07-18-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-18-2019, 01:14 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5639 Post(s)
Liked: 5209
It wouldn't be the first time someone in China mixed up the instructions included with the package. It is even possible they didn't print a 24V set of instructions. Everything in the picture seems to be rated for 24V. LEDs do run warm just not burning hot.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDingus View Post
So i'm trying add LED lights to my crown molding in my living room. I have to cover 30 feet with 2 corners...

Im so confused, I got a 24v LED strip cause I was told its better for long lengths..

I don't know if the power supply provided with this LED strip is sufficient for me or not... When I use the Dim feature I can hear the box buzzing..

The lights also seem to run hot... Am I doing something wrong?... Can anyone help me or point me to the right place cause I feel like Im doing something wrong...

Do I need a better Power supply? is there a better strip for me to use? should I return these and get a different one?...Any help or suggestions are welcome... I just wanna make sure I'm using the proper power supply before I put them up...

The 24v strip is better because by the time you get to the end of your LED strip there's less voltage drop as compared to the 12v strip. A large voltage drop will cause the LEDs at the end of the strip to appear dimmer than the LEDs located at the beginning of the strip. The downside is that 24v components are more expensive. You can use 12v strips for long runs but then you have to do things to prevent the voltage drop and then things start getting complicated. At ~30ft you could have gone with 12v but since you have the 24v strips already, I would just use the 24v.

As for the power supply, you need to look at the specs of the strip for something like watts per foot or amps per LED and then using W=VxA calculate max current (amps) your length of strip is going to pull. This should be about 80% of the rated amps the supply can deliver. Your strip is going to only pull the amps it needs so as long as you have the correct voltage supply, there's no harm in buying a supply with a higher amp rating. If your supply is too small (not enough amps) it will burn up. For safety you should wire in a fuse in case your strip develops a short. Your two corners are the most likely scenario for a short.

Oh brother, your RGB controller says it has an output voltage of 6 amps. How does that work? Probably should say output current is 6 amps. Of course it doesn't say if that's per color channel or total. I assume total. So this means your controller can work with LED strips that require less than 6 amps total to run. It does say 12v-24v input so it'll work with your 24v supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 352
By the way, I don't trust those cheaply made supplies. Maybe because a cheap Chinese phone charger burned down a neighbor's house.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
By the way, I don't trust those cheaply made supplies. Maybe because a cheap Chinese phone charger burned down a neighbor's house.
What do you recommend for supplies?

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
24v , led lights , led strip 5050 led driver , led strip lights , power supply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page