• 1 Post By Chris-Paul
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2

post #1 of 4 Old 07-18-2019, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
DIY entertainment center

After building some DIY subs, I got the bug to do another project. Since my Monoprice Monolith 7 amp (~100 lbs) was sitting on the ground blocking a storage room since my old entertainment center couldn't support the weight, I designed a new entertainment center. Yes, I could have ordered a retail solution yet that would have cost me at least 2x as much and still not addressed all of my wish list items. Besides, where is the fun in that??

I have a mammoth center channel that I wanted to have set around 21 inches from the ground and the side sections to be 24 inches tall so that my receiver and monolith 7 both had a shelf with plenty of ventilation. Also wanted the depth of the shelves to be 20" to ensure plenty of room to have the components and all cables plugged in without smashing anything.

So the solution I designed in sketchup is based on 1" 8020 extruded aluminum and tempered glass. I ensured everything could support the weight and not have any flex. I then ordered the components online and had them delivered within a week to assemble. You can see the design and final result in the attached pictures.

Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Stand 3030 80.20(Entertainment Center left).png
Views:	31
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	2592376   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Stand 3030 80.20(TV).png
Views:	33
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	2592378   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY Entertainment Center.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1,012.1 KB
ID:	2592380  
smcmillan2 likes this.

LG OLED65C6P | Optoma HD29Darbee Projector | Denon AVR-X6500H | Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizon w/RAAL upgrade LCR (LR coming late July 2019)| Ascend Acoustics Luna side (coming late July 2019)| Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 rear (currently my LR until late July) | Four Polk Audio MC80 Atmos | Dual Dayton Audio UM18-22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-18-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Very nice! Who did you source the parts through?

Looks similar to one I just finished a couple of weeks ago, mine needed to accommodate a vertical center. And since there was room, why not bigger subs?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190711_153243.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	2592382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190711_153255.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	2592384  

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #3 of 4 Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Nice that looks awesome. Well done! And of course bigger subs are ALWAYS needed. I have been toying with building another sub to sit behind my couch. Haha. I may have a problem.

Are those 3 monitors above your tv? They are probably great on a game day.

I sourced the parts from:
https://www.tnutz.com
https://www.onedayglass.com

I almost ordered from 8020.net yet took one more look for another supplier at less cost and tnutz delivered. Saved over $500 for the exact same materials. (Which would cover the cost of the 3rd sub)

LG OLED65C6P | Optoma HD29Darbee Projector | Denon AVR-X6500H | Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizon w/RAAL upgrade LCR (LR coming late July 2019)| Ascend Acoustics Luna side (coming late July 2019)| Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 rear (currently my LR until late July) | Four Polk Audio MC80 Atmos | Dual Dayton Audio UM18-22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-19-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Paul View Post
Nice that looks awesome. Well done! And of course bigger subs are ALWAYS needed. I have been toying with building another sub to sit behind my couch. Haha. I may have a problem.

Are those 3 monitors above your tv? They are probably great on a game day.

3 24" TVs driven by RPIs connected to our MythTV setup, yep. Purpose built for college football season and March Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Paul
I sourced the parts from:
https://www.tnutz.com
https://www.onedayglass.com

I almost ordered from 8020.net yet took one more look for another supplier at less cost and tnutz delivered. Saved over $500 for the exact same materials. (Which would cover the cost of the 3rd sub)

Yikes! That's quite the savings. Might have an upcoming project that could make use of some of those materials, so the info is much appreciated!
Chris-Paul likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page