Hue Play HDMI Sync Box announces - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By JRock3x8
  • 3 Post By Adamg (Ret-Navy)
  • 1 Post By KGrinols
  • 1 Post By Adamg (Ret-Navy)
  • 1 Post By javan robinson
  • 1 Post By javan robinson

post #1 of 16 Old 09-17-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Hue Play HDMI Sync Box announces

What the what...?

I had always assumed they were going to stay on the software side for this.

https://www.facebook.com/30947306918...928065?sfns=mo

I haven’t read all the specs yet so if someone wants to fill in please do.

Also the price on this thing is just dumb but that’s never stopped Philips before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pkinneb and onkal like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-04-2019, 05:52 PM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
I bought the Sync box to give it a try. I was disappointed to hear it did not support Dolby Vision or HDR10+! However, it works for Dolby Vision via my Denon 7200wa AVR. The lighting effects are amazing! Yes it’s pricey, but IMHO worth it! You will want as many lights (up to ten) as you can. The more lights and positions the better the overall effects. Made watching the Lion King incredible!

So if you place the Sync box in between the Tv and the AVR Dolby Vision does indeed work, lights and all. I did inform Philips of this but they were reluctant to believe me. They are looking into my claim?

This is the ambiance lighting system I have been looking for for years!

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
I bought the Sync box to give it a try. I was disappointed to hear it did not support Dolby Vision or HDR10+! However, it works for Dolby Vision via my Denon 7200wa AVR. The lighting effects are amazing! Yes it’s pricey, but IMHO worth it! You will want as many lights (up to ten) as you can. The more lights and positions the better the overall effects. Made watching the Lion King incredible!

So if you place the Sync box in between the Tv and the AVR Dolby Vision does indeed work, lights and all. I did inform Philips of this but they were reluctant to believe me. They are looking into my claim?

This is the ambiance lighting system I have been looking for for years!
Any pictures, videos, or opinions to share?
I absolutely love this idea and think it looks incredible in videos. I'm hesitant of how it will actually look/feel in real world applications though.
How many lights did you buy, what was the total cost in the end, etc.

Thanks

Sharp LC-70SQ15U + Denon AVR-X4000
Polk CSi A6 Center + Polk RTi A7 Fronts
Polk FXi A4 Sides + Polk FXi A6 Rears
Klipsch Sub-12HG (x2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-07-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGrinols View Post
Any pictures, videos, or opinions to share?
I absolutely love this idea and think it looks incredible in videos. I'm hesitant of how it will actually look/feel in real world applications though.
How many lights did you buy, what was the total cost in the end, etc.

Thanks
Hi KGrinols,

Good questions. I don't do vids so that is not an option. But if you google "Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box reviews" you will get plenty of demo vids.

As far as the cost. It does get pricey. I already had the Hue Hub and all the lights I needed and some. But the Sync App only allows you to use up to a total of 10 lights. I have 9. A lightstirp with 3 extensions around the 85" TV. Two table lamps, Two Iris Lights, Two Hue Play Light bars, Two Blooms, all one on each side of TV in different locations that surround the TV Area. So that's 9 total.

Here is a break down of the costs:

Hue Sync Box $220
Hue Starter Kit includes Hub & 4 Color lights $200
Hue Light Strip kit $80.00
Light strip extensions 3ea $25ea = $75
Hue Iris Lights (2ea) $ 80 x 2 =$160
Hue Play Light Bar Kit (2-bars) $129
Hue Bloom Light @ $59Ea x 2= $120

So, yeah it was expensive. But I invested in Hue lights throughout my home, a few at a time. I have over 50 now. Wait for sales.

To get started you need a Lightstrip and as many extensions as you need to attach the lightstrip around the entire perimeter of that outside edge of the TV in the back. Then you would need two lights under the tv one on each side. Two lights on the outside left and right of the tv. Get the Starter Kit that comes with 4 lights and a Hub. Then the lightsrip + extensions. That would be a great starting point. The 5 lights plus the hub will run you about $350-$400 depending on if you catch a sale. Plus the Hue Sync Box @ $220. Total investment about $600 +/-. Then as time goes on you pick up additional lights down the road, to expand the area and increase the immersion effect.

I just started to rewatch "The Expanse" on Amazon in 4K using the Sync Box. What an incredible experience it is. To me it is worth every penny. I love the effect. Works perfectly.

If you buy the whole kit from Amazon or Best Buy. You could get it all in one go. Hook it up for a few weeks in home demo, and if not happy with what your getting for the money. Return it all within the 30 day return window. Going this route is pretty risk free.

Hue has tons of different lights now. So you can browse and pick the lights that will work best in your room and set up.

Here is a few pics of what my set up looks like and where my lights are positioned:

Best of luck to you Sir!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	861.4 KB
ID:	2637676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	830.6 KB
ID:	2637678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	862.2 KB
ID:	2637680  
KGrinols, pkinneb and onkal like this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-10-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

To get started you need a Lightstrip and as many extensions as you need to attach the lightstrip around the entire perimeter of that outside edge of the TV in the back.

If you were to just buy the Sync Box, Hub, light strip and extensions, would the LED strip work accurately around the full perimeter of the TV? Or is the LED strip limited like each light, where it can only display 1 color at a time?
I'm interested in a more subtle effect, I don't want the entire room, I just want some casual lights from directly behind the TV. I've been looking at LightPack2, Dreamscreen, HDFury Diva, and similar options. It seems like the only benefit of Philips Hue, is if you want to expand the lighting down the road.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Sharp LC-70SQ15U + Denon AVR-X4000
Polk CSi A6 Center + Polk RTi A7 Fronts
Polk FXi A4 Sides + Polk FXi A6 Rears
Klipsch Sub-12HG (x2)
post #6 of 16 Old 11-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGrinols View Post
If you were to just buy the Sync Box, Hub, light strip and extensions, would the LED strip work accurately around the full perimeter of the TV? Or is the LED strip limited like each light, where it can only display 1 color at a time?
I'm interested in a more subtle effect, I don't want the entire room, I just want some casual lights from directly behind the TV. I've been looking at LightPack2, Dreamscreen, HDFury Diva, and similar options. It seems like the only benefit of Philips Hue, is if you want to expand the lighting down the road.
Excellent observation. Each Lightstrip comes with a controller/power supply. So it works as a single light/color at a time. Including any Extensions you add. They just daisy chain off the main Lightstrip.

You can buy the Hub separately, or as part of a 2, 3, or 4 bulb Starter Pack. The Starter packs are the best deal cost wise. You could just get a 4 bulb White and Color Starter pack and the Sync Box. Place the 4 bulbs at each corner of the tv from behind and you would have 4 quadrants of color lighting effects.

As you noted the Hue Hub is very expandable up to 50 lights and 8 or more accessories (motion sensors, dimmers, etc...). So the Hue ecosystem is much more capable for whole house utilization. That was a selling point for me, but may be functionality you won’t use or need.

I hope I answered your questions and clarified how the Hue Lightstrips function?

Best of luck to you Sir.
KGrinols likes this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-13-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Hey all, so I have this gizmo and after 3 maddening days of configuring this bungled device, I got it to sync to my AVR flawlessly, but no music syncing unless I use my TV audio - which I definitely don't want to do considering my pretty dope PSA setup...

Anyways - I have a Denon 6300h, 900e (sony) TV, in doing some reading, there may be a way to set the receiver to output audio to the TV and the receiver? is that possible?

Also, on setup the Output 2 on my AVR is being sent to the Input 1 on the HUE Sync Box.

Oh, and it's really cool when it works - at least on movies and games, and still need to create a better arrangement of lights around my TV, but it's pretty dope so far. I've found that Abstract: The Art of Design S02 E01 from Olafur Eliasson has pretty cool colour presentations right at the beginning of the film - had a few of my friends and family freak out and thought the lights came with the TV show, or some crazy ***** lol.

Anyways - how can I make the lights boom with my PSA's!?

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #8 of 16 Old 11-25-2019, 07:55 AM

Hi Javan,

Wish I could help here. I have not been able to get Music mode to function either. If your AVR supports ARC there may be a way but damn if I could figure it out.

The best method for Music is to send the Music via HDMI to the Sync Box and then to the TV. Since I have my Sync Box between the TV input and AVR out it just so does not work in this configuration. You did not say what device you are using for Music Play/streaming. But I suspect if you were to feed this Device via HDMI directly to the Snyc Box first and then to the AVR. It might work this way.

Sorry if this is not much help. Good luck and if you do get it to work, please share how you did it!

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Hi Javan,

Wish I could help here. I have not been able to get Music mode to function either. If your AVR supports ARC there may be a way but damn if I could figure it out.

The best method for Music is to send the Music via HDMI to the Sync Box and then to the TV. Since I have my Sync Box between the TV input and AVR out it just so does not work in this configuration. You did not say what device you are using for Music Play/streaming. But I suspect if you were to feed this Device via HDMI directly to the Snyc Box first and then to the AVR. It might work this way.

Sorry if this is not much help. Good luck and if you do get it to work, please share how you did it!
Hey Adam,

Thanks man and I've had it hooked up so many different ways you would have thought I was bleeding.

I am using my Xbox to stream Spotify, but am not against using the TV Apps ( but that won't work I know ), or my Denon6300h to stream Spotify but I don't believe that will work either.

But...so you're saying if I Put my Xbox where in the chain exactly, it may let it stream for music?

I still have no idea why, if it works for video with it's current configuration - why would not it work for audio!?

Thanks man - I will read over your message tonight and if I get something to work I will surely let you know!

-Javan

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #10 of 16 Old 11-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Hey Adam,

Thanks man and I've had it hooked up so many different ways you would have thought I was bleeding.

I am using my Xbox to stream Spotify, but am not against using the TV Apps ( but that won't work I know ), or my Denon6300h to stream Spotify but I don't believe that will work either.

But...so you're saying if I Put my Xbox where in the chain exactly, it may let it stream for music?

I still have no idea why, if it works for video with it's current configuration - why would not it work for audio!?

Thanks man - I will read over your message tonight and if I get something to work I will surely let you know!

-Javan
So my thoughts are this. Plug Xbox into hdmi in #2 on sync box, then plug hdmi out from sync box to whatever hdmi in, you were using for the Xbox before. Placing the Sync box in between the xbox and the AVR. I have no certainty that this will work! Simply an educated guess based on what I have read and learned on how it should work?

Good luck Sir!

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Just picked one up to add to my hue ecosystem and like others I'm struggling.
I've located it between the AVR and the TV and everything feeds into the AVR both active and in standby but I have a few questions that others may have already figured out.

I can't get it to pass a signal if I put the Hue Sync in off/standby so I'm thinking it has to be 24/7 on?
It did NOT like being connected to a Tivo bolt running 4k/auto so that's a problem since I have FiOS and the 4K QAM channel, I had to dial the Tivo back to 1080P for now

It seems to be ok with an ATV4K and passing HDR, but it doesn't seem to work with the music app at all.
I grabbed 2x of the 2x Play bar kits for one bar in each corner but I can't see how to arrange them in the app, it doesn't seem to know how to do height, all I see is a top down diagram of the seating area, ideas?

Next up I need to test some 4K discs in the Oppo and see if that has anything near the issues the Tivo had at 4K.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-28-2019, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

I've now answered 3 of my 4 questions

• The Sync Box totally fails at negotiating and holding high rate 4K signals from my Tivos or the Oppo 2003 in a way to make it unusable at that location in the signal path, however everything goes through my Marantz SR7011 receiver and that has dual HDMI outputs so #2 HDMI output to the rescue since the Sync box accepts all the signal variations and doesn't have a TV attached.
  • The standby issue pops up since it doesn't actually have a "press the button to go to standby to pass-through" their answer is just turn off light sync feature, so yeah, on 24/7 when it's "off" with a red LED no signal passes.
  • Music doesn't work and I found the documentation that you have to send audio to the TV when playing music and that would mean I would need to mute it, and it has an always visible mute logo.
  • Still no info on how to deal with the 4 play bars one in each corner since I can't seem to set up height yet their reference material implies you can.
It really is meant for a less invested consumer without an expansive system and only a soundbar and a few devices
post #13 of 16 Old 11-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Just picked one up to add to my hue ecosystem and like others I'm struggling.
I've located it between the AVR and the TV and everything feeds into the AVR both active and in standby but I have a few questions that others may have already figured out.

I can't get it to pass a signal if I put the Hue Sync in off/standby so I'm thinking it has to be 24/7 on?
It did NOT like being connected to a Tivo bolt running 4k/auto so that's a problem since I have FiOS and the 4K QAM channel, I had to dial the Tivo back to 1080P for now

It seems to be ok with an ATV4K and passing HDR, but it doesn't seem to work with the music app at all.
I grabbed 2x of the 2x Play bar kits for one bar in each corner but I can't see how to arrange them in the app, it doesn't seem to know how to do height, all I see is a top down diagram of the seating area, ideas?

Next up I need to test some 4K discs in the Oppo and see if that has anything near the issues the Tivo had at 4K.
For placing the lights, go into the Hue App, not the sync app, go to settings, then Entertainment areas, then create entertainment area or edit existing one, then arrange the lights as they relate to their position around the TV. To place them at 3D height locations, double click the light icon and it will change height location from "Ground Height" to "TV Height" to "Ceiling Height". To see the height placement tag you may have to drag the icon down the screen to set height placement than slide the light back into place.

Hope that helps.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-29-2019, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For placing the lights, go into the Hue App, not the sync app, go to settings, then Entertainment areas, then create entertainment area or edit existing one, then arrange the lights as they relate to their position around the TV. To place them at 3D height locations, double click the light icon and it will change height location from "Ground Height" to "TV Height" to "Ceiling Height". To see the height placement tag you may have to drag the icon down the screen to set height placement than slide the light back into place.

Hope that helps.
TYVM
I would not have thought of tapping the icons to adjust the height and didn't see that in the setup, BTW they also change size depending on floor, TV, or ceiling placement.

They really need to add to the entertainment setup section since this could be so much easier.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-29-2019, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hope that helps.
TYVM
I would not have thought of tapping the icons to adjust the height and didn't see that in the setup, BTW they also change size depending on floor, TV, or ceiling placement.

They really need to add to the entertainment setup section since this could be so much easier.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-29-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
TYVM

You are Welcome!

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #17 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Can this box be used to turn hue lights off when I press play, and back on if I press stop or pause on my Harmony remote?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page