MovieNow! Digital movie poster app for Raspberry pi - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 215Likes

post #541 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybw1 View Post
I have Version 3 running perfectly, Kodi 18.5 Raspberry Pi 3+. Question is when I'm watching TV shows through Kodi, all I get is Coming soon with nothing displayed, is that correct, I mean, I know this is for movie posters, I'm fine with it displaying posters while watching TV shows on Kodi.

Also, on the HDMI CEC...I know it was discussed several pages ago, I just need a solution. I have Smartthings installed and my wife loves the Movie Poster, but needs an easy way to turn it on. My Poster TV sits at the top of the stairs, and she isn't going up there to hit a button...She turns the lights on with Google through Smartthings, is there a simple way to Make MovieNow! turn on?

Thanks so much for such a great program and all of your hard work!
good suggestion! , its easy to add TV Show also! , thanks!!

you can leave the raspberry pi ALWAYS ON , and just turn ON/OFF the TV , you can do it with HDMI CEC , or even with IR blaster , or even with Smartplug.....so many options!! let me know if you need more details!

Georgios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0raid View Post
good suggestion! , its easy to add TV Show also! , thanks!!

you can leave the raspberry pi ALWAYS ON , and just turn ON/OFF the TV , you can do it with HDMI CEC , or even with IR blaster , or even with Smartplug.....so many options!! let me know if you need more details!

Georgios
I would love something simple like OK Google Turn on Posters for her. I'll buy whatever I need...
post #543 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
dont forget after the delete the NFO , you must re-scrap your library with KODI!

Georgios
Deleted all the NFO files, res-scrapped library with Kodi, cleared cache, switched to Kodi view, and refreshed poster but other than the first one it would not even change posters. Did this various times by switching to custom posters and back to Kodi. Custom posters still works famously.

Unless other people are having this same issue I don't want you to spend too much time on this as I am quite happy with custom posters. If you add Now Playing to custom posters then I have no issues with my Kodi view. My library is quite large and not sure if this has any contributions to this problem or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesAnotherTweet View Post
Deleted all the NFO files, res-scrapped library with Kodi, cleared cache, switched to Kodi view, and refreshed poster but other than the first one it would not even change posters. Did this various times by switching to custom posters and back to Kodi. Custom posters still works famously.

Unless other people are having this same issue I don't want you to spend too much time on this as I am quite happy with custom posters. If you add Now Playing to custom posters then I have no issues with my Kodi view. My library is quite large and not sure if this has any contributions to this problem or not.
my kodi library has over 13.121 movies and MOVIENOW it works without any issue , somewhere else is the problem , please post your MOVIENOW kodi configuration , also did you use password for kodi? is the remote from other application enable in KODI player? , we can arrange a teamviewer session if you want to help you with your issues.

* i will see if its possible to add this feature (NOW PLAYING for custom posters) in the next update.

Georgios
post #545 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
my kodi library has over 13.121 movies and MOVIENOW it works without any issue , somewhere else is the problem , please post your MOVIENOW kodi configuration , also did you use password for kodi? is the remote from other application enable in KODI player? , we can arrange a teamviewer session if you want to help you with your issues.

* i will see if its possible to add this feature (NOW PLAYING for custom posters) in the next update.

Georgios
We both have about the same number of movies.

Here's my set up for both. I haven't had any issues with other apps for remote and MoviePosterApp was working with this version but not the v18.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 11.41.28 AM.png
Views:	35
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	2675338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 11.42.23 AM.png
Views:	34
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	2675340  
post #546 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a quick question. Why is everyone making this so difficult with PCs, KODI, and Raspberry Pi? I use a $30 mini media player that also plays background music. Just pop in a USB or SD with your poster images (rotated) and done. No setup, and it can auto play to photos when you turn it on if you want it to. You leave it running non-stop and just turn off the monitor at night or during a movie.

I just finished creating approximately 900 posters for mine.

post #547 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood__ View Post
I have a quick question. Why is everyone making this so difficult with PCs, KODI, and Raspberry Pi? I use a $30 mini media player that also plays background music. Just pop in a USB or SD with your poster images (rotated) and done. No setup, and it can auto play to photos when you turn it on if you want it to. You leave it running non-stop and just turn off the monitor at night or during a movie.

I just finished creating approximately 900 posters for mine.

Now playing poster is a nice feature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #548 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 06:15 PM

Here is a quick animation I made to show the poster style. Every one is exactly the same with regards to the bars and useable area for the poster itself (1080 x 1620). Mine is set for 10s per poster, but the animation is set for 3s.

Last edited by Hollywood__; 01-24-2020 at 06:22 PM.
post #549 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is a quick animation I made to show the poster style. Every one is exactly the same with regards to the bars and useable are for the poster itself. Mine is set for 10s per poster, but the animation is set for 3s.

Those are really nice! Would you be willing to share some with the group? There is an option for this app to add custom posters!

post #550 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enovison View Post
Those are really nice! Would you be willing to share some with the group? There is an option for this app to add custom posters!

Keep in mind, all of my poster images are pre-rotated clockwise and counterclockwise (I have 2 folders). This makes it super easy. Here is the media player I use (I am making my brother in law a digital frame and another for a customer of mine).

$30, tiny, plug and play. Literllay up and running in 30 seconds flat. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-HD-Med...8672%7Ciid%3A1
post #551 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 06:45 PM

After a little tinkering I was able to figure out how to sync my 10Muse cover library with MovieNow (custom posters) so now every time I update my 10Muse catalog they get updated to custom posters. I am now waiting for the new update for random poster order before I transfer all 18,000+ posters to the Pi.
post #552 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I have a quick question. Why is everyone making this so difficult with PCs, KODI, and Raspberry Pi?

It's not difficult. Instructions:

1. Flash the firmware to microSD card
  2. Put microSD card ino Pi
  3. Plug in Pi
  4. Input plex/KODI credentials to instantly have the ability to display all of the movies you have (yes, you can do more than this, but it's not required to work)
The "Why?"

1. No need to find posters online and download them
  2. No need to pre-rotate them and save them
  3. No need to keep track of new movies you have and repeat steps 1 and 2
  4. Automatically show the poster of the movie that is currently playing
  5. Many people have dormant Pi's, so no need to buy anything
  6. Automatically show the elapsed time/remaining time left in the currently playing movie
  7. Ability to automate on/off with timers/sensors or other data
  8. Ability to show posters of recently acquired movies (that are added to plex/KODI)
  9. Ability to add and request additional features
Granted, not everyone wants or needs these features. The product you are recommending would probably suffice for many people. But for those of us that like automation, this is the application. For those of us that like additional features, this is the application.

I'm glad that you posted that link, though. There may be people here that are intimidated by this application and that product looks like it would do the trick for many.

Cheers.
harrytasker1 and 0raid like this.
post #553 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaMMA View Post
It's not difficult. Instructions:

1. Flash the firmware to microSD card
  2. Put microSD card ino Pi
  3. Plug in Pi
  4. Input plex/KODI credentials to instantly have the ability to display all of the movies you have (yes, you can do more than this, but it's not required to work)
The "Why?"

1. No need to find posters online and download them
  2. No need to pre-rotate them and save them
  3. No need to keep track of new movies you have and repeat steps 1 and 2
  4. Automatically show the poster of the movie that is currently playing
  5. Many people have dormant Pi's, so no need to buy anything
  6. Automatically show the elapsed time/remaining time left in the currently playing movie
  7. Ability to automate on/off with timers/sensors or other data
  8. Ability to show posters of recently acquired movies (that are added to plex/KODI)
  9. Ability to add and request additional features
Granted, not everyone wants or needs these features. The product you are recommending would probably suffice for many people. But for those of us that like automation, this is the application. For those of us that like additional features, this is the application.

I'm glad that you posted that link, though. There may be people here that are intimidated by this application and that product looks like it would do the trick for many.

Cheers.

I 'd prefer the auto running photo slideshow (hence the pre-rotated image), and I write scripts to batch process all the images for me. Same goes for applying the top / bottom bar overlay. When I build one for someone else, I just ant it to work and not have to be customer support too. I can literally process one or 10000 images with a couple clicks.

I also process all the posters at once. Every single one is exactly 1080 x 1620 after the script handles them. They were all over the place in the master folder with regard to size.

The graphics part is super easy for me, and I am limiting mine to about 1000 unique posters, The coolest part is if you drop MP3s in the same folder with the posters, the player will use them as background music, again, with no actual setup. I Just like easy, and simple to get back up if the power goes out.
post #554 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 07:10 PM

I also created a splash image which I put as Image_0000, so it comes up first. The cinema name and city are editable. Making one for my bro-in-law right now.

post #555 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

movieposter & movienow its not just a slider to play photos! , its more powerful and interactive (KODI/PLEX, Select different directories to show Custom Posters (Default , Classic , Horror , Sci-Fi , etc) - control anything (ON/OFF , different views and so many other things)

......but for someone that needs ONLY to show photos (posters) its good idea your solution!

Last edited by 0raid; 01-24-2020 at 08:13 PM.
post #556 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
movieposter & movienow its not just a slider to play photos! , its more powerful and interactive (KODI/PLEX, Select different directories to show Custom Posters (Default , Classic , Horror , Sci-Fi , etc) - control anything (ON/OFF , different views and so many other things)

......but for someone that needs ONLY to show photos (posters) its good idea your solution!

I agree, the digital poster in my theater has one purpose. I wasn't knocking the other ways of doing things. I download and formatted almost 1000 posters in just under 2 days. Graphics is where I know every shortcut in the book, so the part that is hard for everyone else was the easiest for me.

My collection of posters was hand picked and spans a few decades and all genres. It's actually a really nice archive, and they all have the same feel because of the header and footer.
post #557 of 652 Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

its very important if you ask me to have full control and change all this settings from web interface , settings like play posters sort by filenames or random , choose different directories and movie poster collection , imagine that you have a kids night and you want to display only posters from movies for kids....transfer the new poster very easy with ftp and network no need usb or sd card to transfer new posters, and chang top and bottom very easy any time you want just upload the new banners, or even control your display with google or amazon alexa (i am develop this feature in the next update!)
tjambro, harrytasker1 and metaMMA like this.
post #558 of 652 Old 01-25-2020, 09:14 AM

Liked: 2
Is the implementation of movie trailers as a "banner" also a possibility at this point? I have seen that with other programs and is a really nice feature. Hoping that may be an "option" to have a MP4 or AVI video be used as a banner and have them tied to each movie poster. Just a thought.
post #559 of 652 Old 01-25-2020, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks 4 the suggestions guys! , i will try my best!
post #560 of 652 Old 01-25-2020, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
0raid, is there a way you can upload 2.5 image other than your site? I am getting a download speed of 15kb and shows 2 days to download. I am on 100 Mbps connection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #561 of 652 Old 01-25-2020, 03:44 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemulasri View Post
0raid, is there a way you can upload 2.5 image other than your site? I am getting a download speed of 15kb and shows 2 days to download. I am on 100 Mbps connection

I created a torrent of this .zip. It's being seeded in both Europe and North America, so it should go pretty quick for you. Link in this post
harrytasker1 and 0raid like this.
post #562 of 652 Old 01-25-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaMMA View Post
I created a torrent of this .zip. It's being seeded in both Europe and North America, so it should go pretty quick for you. Link in this post

Thanks. Will be done in 2 hours. Hopefully peers stay

post #563 of 652 Old 01-25-2020, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Love all these idea for alternative movie posters. I am using two Amazon FireTV Sticks in each of my 50" TVs running a photo app. Just upload the posters to your Amazon Drive and it's done. If you include a mp3, it'll play that too while your posters are cycling.

-Colton
post #564 of 652 Old 01-25-2020, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I have update the first post & website , you can download ver2.5 also via torrent (thanks metaMMA for this)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 5.35.46 AM.png
Views:	33
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	2676006  

Last edited by 0raid; 01-25-2020 at 07:41 PM.
post #565 of 652 Old 01-26-2020, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Another suggestion: Could you have a custom poster list based on a Plex playlist?
post #566 of 652 Old 01-26-2020, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

MovieNow version 3.1 Updates so far..

Web Interface new features:
- Select Poster Transition Time (KODI View)
- Select from 10 directories in Custom Posters (Default,Classics,Favorites,Recent,Sci-Fi,Horror,Oscars,Custom 1,Custom 2,Custom 3)
- Select Poster Transition Time (Custom Poster View)
- Custom Posters order (random or filename)
- Setup / Change default View (after reboot)
- Playing Now (KODI) - support now also TV series - display the season poster * Randybw1 Suggestion

Feel free to request other features...

Georgios
Randybw1 likes this.
post #567 of 652 Old 01-26-2020, 10:43 AM

MovieNow! Digital movie poster app for Raspberry pi

0raid, updated to 2.5 today but for some reason it would not connect to wifi. I give my wifi ssid and password but do not see it in my list of devices. Is there anything i can do to test it?

post #568 of 652 Old 01-26-2020, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemulasri View Post
0raid, updated to 2.5 today but for some reason it would not connect to wifi. I give my wifi ssid and password but do not see it in my list of devices. Is there anything i can do to test it?

Vers 2.5 has predefined static WIFI IP address

SO ONLY IF YOU WANT TO CONNECTED WITH WIFI - follow the steps

1) when you press Ctrl + Alt + F2 (the raspi-config window is open)
2) Choose Network Options > Wi- Fi > and enter your SSID , and your wifi password
3) now choose finish
4) you see in the bottom of the screen the _ is blinking , write the command: sudo bash and press enter
5) write the command: nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf and press enter
6) in the end of the file you will see the following:

# Example static IP configuration:
interface wlan0
static ip_address=192.168.5.146/24
#static ip6_address=fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::ff/64
static routers=192.168.5.2
static domain_name_servers=192.168.5.2 8.8.8.8

if you dont want static IP then put the symbol # in front of this lines

example:

#interface wlan0
#static ip_address=192.168.5.146/24
#static routers=192.168.5.2
#static domain_name_servers=192.168.5.2 8.8.8.8

if you want to have a static IP

then change to your wifi settings example:

so lets say that you router is 192.168.1.1 and you want raspberry to have 192.168.1.100

#interface wlan0
#static ip_address=192.168.1.100/24
#static routers=192.168.1.1
#static domain_name_servers=192.168.1.1 8.8.8.8

then just press the keys CTRL + O , and then CRTL+X
and then you return to the blinking _

now you write the command: reboot

ready!
post #569 of 652 Old 01-26-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Vers 2.5 has predefined static WIFI IP address

SO ONLY IF YOU WANT TO CONNECTED WITH WIFI - follow the steps

1) when you press Ctrl + Alt + F2 (the raspi-config window is open)

2) Choose Network Options > Wi- Fi > and enter your SSID , and your wifi password

3) now choose finish

4) you see in the bottom of the screen the _ is blinking , write the command: sudo bash and press enter

5) write the command: nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf and press enter

6) in the end of the file you will see the following:

interface wlan0

static ip_address=192.168.5.146/24

static routers=192.168.5.2

static domain_name_servers=192.168.5.2 8.8.8.8

if you dont want static IP then put the symbol # in front of this lines

example:

#interface wlan0

#static ip_address=192.168.5.146/24

#static routers=192.168.5.2

#static domain_name_servers=192.168.5.2 8.8.8.8

if you want to have a static IP

then change to your wifi settings example:

so lets say that you router is 192.168.1.1 and you want raspberry to have 192.168.1.100

#interface wlan0

#static ip_address=192.168.1.100/24

#static routers=192.168.1.1

#static domain_name_servers=192.168.1.1 8.8.8.8

then just press the keys CTRL + O , and then CRTL+X

and then you return to the blinking _

now you write the command: reboot

ready!

Thanks that worked

0raid likes this.
post #570 of 652 Old 01-27-2020, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
MovieNow version 3.1 Updates so far..

Web Interface new features:
- Select Poster Transition Time (KODI View)
- Select from 10 directories in Custom Posters (Default,Classics,Favorites,Recent,Sci-Fi,Horror,Oscars,Custom 1,Custom 2,Custom 3)
- Select Poster Transition Time (Custom Poster View)
- Custom Posters order (random or filename)
- Setup / Change default View (after reboot)
- Playing Now (KODI) - support now also TV series - display the season poster * Randybw1 Suggestion

Feel free to request other features...

Georgios
Thank you for the great updates! How do we update if we are on 3.0? I see the update section but it says I am at the latest.

Thank you.

v/r

Luis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
linux , movie posters , Raspberry Pi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page