MovieNow! Digital movie poster app for Raspberry pi - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 233Likes

post #661 of 685 Old 04-12-2020, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 262
With an LED tv you shouldn't need to worry about burn it. That's more for plasma and OLED. There's a feature in the web interface that you can run via your phone to sweep the screen though if you feel the need from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 685 Old 04-12-2020, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
With an LED tv you shouldn't need to worry about burn it. That's more for plasma and OLED. There's a feature in the web interface that you can run via your phone to sweep the screen though if you feel the need from time to time.
Thanks MW - by any change do you know how to change the banner from Coming soon to Now Playing? I see how to upload the new banner files but how do you just change? I have the ftp all set up if needed.

Denon AVR-X6500h Klipsch RP-8000f RP-440C (4) RP-150MS sides in parallel RB-51 rears, 4 JBL C67P pendants for atmos, 2 monolith 12" subs
Epson 5040UB, Sony Ubp-X700, AC infintiy T9, Nvidia Shield, 142" 2.35 silver ticket screen
post #663 of 685 Old 04-17-2020, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sleeve View Post
Thanks MW - by any change do you know how to change the banner from Coming soon to Now Playing? I see how to upload the new banner files but how do you just change? I have the ftp all set up if needed.
If you're using Kodi you'll just need to use the web interface via a laptop or smartphone to access MovieNow and add your Kodi settings to "Kodi Setup". Then be sure to select the Display icon and select the Kodi icon in the "Change Display View" area near the bottom.

By the way, version 4.1 was just released. I have it up and running on the RPi4 and it's working great. You can now set your Default View to Kodi, Plex, or Custom Posters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200417-135707_Chrome.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	2711516  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ RPi4 & MovieNow! V4.x + DietPi FTP Server + 4 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV

Last edited by MidnightWatcher; 04-17-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 685 Old 04-19-2020, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Very nice job on this app. Does anyone have any video of it?

Also does this work with Kodi add-ons or only your library? Or maybe have the API interact with trakt website as that usually can show what you are watching from many different addons in Kodi.

Also is there any plans to have this work with other apps like Netflix?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
post #665 of 685 Old 04-19-2020, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post
Very nice job on this app. Does anyone have any video of it?

Also does this work with Kodi add-ons or only your library? Or maybe have the API interact with trakt website as that usually can show what you are watching from many different addons in Kodi.

Also is there any plans to have this work with other apps like Netflix?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
I believe there are some vids floating around out there somewhere.

As for your questions about Kodi add-ons etc, what I can tell you is that 0raid has been fantastic about adding features as people suggest them.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
post #666 of 685 Old 04-20-2020, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good day!

tried to join the movienow board, pls approve my registration. I am a current user of movieposter app and would want to try this new one.

Thank you!
post #667 of 685 Old 04-20-2020, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 204
What's the monetary levels of the donation ranks? I couldn't find them on the website, but see that @MidnightWatcher is a second rank donator.

Rumble & Frenzy - My Mini-Marty Build
Screaming Eagles - My Fusion-15 Sentinel Build
post #668 of 685 Old 04-20-2020, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
What's the monetary levels of the donation ranks? I couldn't find them on the website, but see that @MidnightWatcher is a second rank donator.
It's in the first post of this thread: https://www.movienowapp.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24
Witchboard and pkinneb like this.
post #669 of 685 Old 04-21-2020, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So is even technically possible to integrate this app with Netflix or Amazon prime video...etc? That would be worth an additional donation to fund development.
post #670 of 685 Old 04-21-2020, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulromi View Post
A big thank you for some assistance and for version 2 for Movienow. A xmas present for me included a raspberry pi and I was able to get this going quite easily. My only issue was the clearing of the cache before it started working. But after that is was easy. I donated and moved to version 2 the same day (yesterday). Works great. thanks for the photoshop help Georgios! I was a previous user of the movie poster app but since the updates stopped I'm glad for the raspberry pi version. Here are some pics of my setup and frame that my son and I built. Decided to mounted it on a piano hinge works well for me.
wow cool frames, mind sharing how you attached it on the wall/tv?
post #671 of 685 Old 04-21-2020, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Newbie! Kinda?

Hi there im an old user of the movie poster app i guess its dead now for a couple of years, i had a license and had donated.

Its nice to see an new app available. I finally have time to research and setup this new app. I have no problem doing the research and donating to the development efforts.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for what i need to do to get this running on my smart TV. I what hardware do i need? and a link to the software would be great. im sorry if this is a stupid post on a mature thread. I know nothing about rasberry pi etc...
pkinneb likes this.
post #672 of 685 Old 04-22-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post
Hi there im an old user of the movie poster app i guess its dead now for a couple of years, i had a license and had donated.

Its nice to see an new app available. I finally have time to research and setup this new app. I have no problem doing the research and donating to the development efforts.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for what i need to do to get this running on my smart TV. I what hardware do i need? and a link to the software would be great. im sorry if this is a stupid post on a mature thread. I know nothing about rasberry pi etc...
You'll need a Raspberry Pi 3B or 4. For the software and support installing please visit the site below. Hope this helps!

https://www.movienowapp.de
post #673 of 685 Old 04-23-2020, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon1925 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulromi View Post
A big thank you for some assistance and for version 2 for Movienow. A xmas present for me included a raspberry pi and I was able to get this going quite easily. My only issue was the clearing of the cache before it started working. But after that is was easy. I donated and moved to version 2 the same day (yesterday). Works great. thanks for the photoshop help Georgios! I was a previous user of the movie poster app but since the updates stopped I'm glad for the raspberry pi version. Here are some pics of my setup and frame that my son and I built. Decided to mounted it on a piano hinge works well for me.
wow cool frames, mind sharing how you attached it on the wall/tv?

I used a piano hinge about 2 feet long
post #674 of 685 Old 04-28-2020, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Interesting, I was just looking in to a program to do this and just happen to have a ton of Raspberry Pis lying around I'll try to look up some tutorials and info this evening. I'm using an nvidia shield and Plex (with a plex server as well) and I read this works with plex...but most of the initial info I have seen is based around kodi...
post #675 of 685 Old 04-28-2020, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post

Link has been provided a few posts above me, but I wanted to chime in on your Raspberry Pi comment. The MovieNow app was my first exposure to the Raspberry Pi world. I got a 3B+ kit off Amazon. Extremely easy to put together. I was still apprehensive about the MovieNow SW, but loading it was straight forward and I didn't have any major issues. The couple questions I had were already answered on the MovieNow website. 0Raid is now setting up a YouTube channel for video tutorials as well, so as long as you can follow directions, just about anyone should be able to set this up.
post #676 of 685 Old 05-06-2020, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Up and running ...

I finally decided to purchase a Raspberry Pi 4 for MOVIENOW in my home theater. Bought the CANAKIT RP4 (64gb SD Card) and assembled. I had some trouble writing the MovieNow image to the SD Card, but contacting the author, he helped me solve the issue and even did some testing and configuration on my end (using TeamViewer). So, finally got MovieNow 4.1 installed and working great! The only nagging issue is how to use BOTH hdmi ports for two TV displays. I could only get HDMI 0 (micro hdmi next to USB-C power input) to display a picture. HDMI 1 is plugged into the 2nd TV, but only shows a black screen. Not sure what edits need to be done to the config.txt file to wake up HDMI 1.

Anyhow, decided to just use a HDMI splitter and it's working fine. Have a peek ...

post #677 of 685 Old 05-06-2020, 06:51 AM

One important thing we discovered when testing MovieNow ... your KODI library must be CLEAN of .nfo files and other stuff that was left over in older versions of KODI. After a very thorough clean of my movie files, the posters started displaying. So, the ONLY thing you should have in your movie folder is the movie itself (movie.mkv) and maybe a subtitle file (movie.srt). That's it! Anything else might cause issues for posters to display.

Many, many thanks to the author for being so patient to solve the issues.

Now, if anyone (RP4 gurus) knows WHY I can't get HDMI 1 to display anything on the 2nd TV, please share your knowledge.

[email protected]:~$ tvservice -n
device_name=DMT-CHHWJT_

[email protected]:~$ tvservice -l
2 attached device(s), display ID's are :
Display Number 2, type HDMI 0
Display Number 7, type HDMI 1

[email protected]:~$ tvservice -s -v 2
state 0x6 [DVI CEA (34) RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 30.00Hz, progressive
[email protected]:~$ tvservice -s -v 7
state 0xa [HDMI CEA (4) RGB lim 16:9], 1280x720 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

-sacolton

Last edited by Shawn Colton; 05-06-2020 at 07:46 AM.
post #678 of 685 Old 05-06-2020, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks good!
post #679 of 685 Old 05-06-2020, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Colton View Post
I finally decided to purchase a Raspberry Pi 4 for MOVIENOW in my home theater. Bought the CANAKIT RP4 (64gb SD Card) and assembled. I had some trouble writing the MovieNow image to the SD Card, but contacting the author, he helped me solve the issue and even did some testing and configuration on my end (using TeamViewer). So, finally got MovieNow 4.1 installed and working great! The only nagging issue is how to use BOTH hdmi ports for two TV displays. I could only get HDMI 0 (micro hdmi next to USB-C power input) to display a picture. HDMI 1 is plugged into the 2nd TV, but only shows a black screen. Not sure what edits need to be done to the config.txt file to wake up HDMI 1.

Anyhow, decided to just use a HDMI splitter and it's working fine. Have a peek ...

Nice!! What monitors are you using? And where did you get the theater signs above the movie boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #680 of 685 Old 05-06-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enovison View Post
Nice!! What monitors are you using? And where did you get the theater signs above the movie boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using two 50" TVs Brand: CHANGHONG.

The Home Theater sign was purchased many, many years ago. It's also on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Jantec-Sign-G.../dp/B00IEGWMXK

... and ...

https://www.everythingneon.com/prodd...atre-neon-sign

... other options ...

https://www.bigcheesepetro.com/Theat..._13028354.aspx

-sacolton
post #681 of 685 Old 05-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Colton View Post
So, the ONLY thing you should have in your movie folder is the movie itself (movie.mkv) and maybe a subtitle file (movie.srt). That's it!
Thanks for this info. I'm glad you posted it before I spent money on a pi and a TV. All my movie folders have the .nfo and artwork in the same directory as the movie.

post #682 of 685 Old 05-06-2020, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 177
MovieNow latest ver4.1 support NFO! , but you cant mix both!

movienow web interface has an option for NFO (enbaled / disabled)
post #683 of 685 Old 05-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0raid View Post
MovieNow latest ver4.1 support NFO! , but you cant mix both!

movienow web interface has an option for NFO (enbaled / disabled)
Okay cool. Thanks for the clarification.

post #684 of 685 Old 05-17-2020, 09:46 AM

My MOVIENOW app has been running non-stop for two weeks without crashing! Great work!
post #685 of 685 Old 05-17-2020, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Thank you!

the upcoming new version of MovieNow 5.0 - coming in the next days - with most of movieposter features that missing in the previous movienow versions!

+ Remaining Time (Start - End) For KODI & PLEX
+ New View "Showtime" (Custom Movie Poster , Screening hours , Movie Title , Custom text and more)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
linux , movie posters , Raspberry Pi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page