MovieNow! Digital movie poster app for Raspberry pi - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 137Likes

post #121 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by enovison View Post
I know you mentioned you don’t want to use a smart app because you don’t want to have to say anything, but you wouldn’t have to. Create a routine in SmartThings or Alexa app that when your sensor is triggered, it turns the tv on. Simple to do and you won’t have to say anything. Samsung and Vizio are two brands I know can do it. I bet there are more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't want to have to say anything or open an app to turn it on or off. I am totally open to what you are suggesting as long as it is consistent and dependable in operating the way I want. What kind of sensor are you talking about and how would it handle turning it on and off?

My concern a sensor that works like a toggle is that I can see it turning the TV on when I go downstairs but what if my wife comes down a few minutes later? Does it then turn it off? Likewise, I can see a motion sensor being problematic too. We might be in the theater for a 3 hour movie (or maybe multiple movies in a row) which would mean no motion in the lobby all that time. To keep it from going turning off I would have to put something like a 5 hour timer on it. Then what happens if I run downstairs real quick to grab a tool out of my shop (which I have to pass through the lobby)? The TV stays on for 5 hours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDawg View Post
I don't want to have to say anything or open an app to turn it on or off. I am totally open to what you are suggesting as long as it is consistent and dependable in operating the way I want. What kind of sensor are you talking about and how would it handle turning it on and off?

My concern a sensor that works like a toggle is that I can see it turning the TV on when I go downstairs but what if my wife comes down a few minutes later? Does it then turn it off? Likewise, I can see a motion sensor being problematic too. We might be in the theater for a 3 hour movie (or maybe multiple movies in a row) which would mean no motion in the lobby all that time. To keep it from going turning off I would have to put something like a 5 hour timer on it. Then what happens if I run downstairs real quick to grab a tool out of my shop (which I have to pass through the lobby)? The TV stays on for 5 hours?

All good points, let me think it through. Mine currently turns on and off when I turn my theater on and off. I almost always turn on my theater from upstairs via either voice or button because takes a minute to warm up anyways so the screen is on when I walk down. I’m not sure if this works for you.

How about a zwave button at top of stairs- one tap turns the MoviePoster monitor on and holding the button down turns it off?

Just spit balling here

post #123 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Thanks for all of your great work on this! Do you think it’s possible to connect the raspberry pi to this attached LED sign? Check out this developer link. It could be a nice feature to have the currently playing movie title on the sign like In the real movie theaters!

https://brightledsigns.com/info/developers

wow! great idea! and yes its super easy to communicate with raspberry pi and movienow!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

movienow can provide movie info (start-end time, total time) , so it will be very easy the display to stay ON when the movie is current playing....
if nothing is playing , and you go downstairs to get something the sensor detect you , open the display , but such nothing is playing it will be turn off after X minutes.
post #125 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All good points, let me think it through. Mine currently turns on and off when I turn my theater on and off. I almost always turn on my theater from upstairs via either voice or button because takes a minute to warm up anyways so the screen is on when I walk down. I’m not sure if this works for you.

How about a zwave button at top of stairs- one tap turns the MoviePoster monitor on and holding the button down turns it off?

Just spit balling here

I'm only just now entering into the smart home arena. I don't have a way to turn everything on downstairs with a single command like you. My theater room lighting is controlled by a Lutron Grafik Eye so no voice or app control but it is controlled by my Harmony Elite Remote/Hub which also controls my AV equipment. But the projector and the Grafik Eye need the IR from the remote pointed at them to turn them on so if I turn on the theater from my Harmony app they don't turn on. The lobby and stair lighting is just a standard 3-way switch so no other controls for them right now.

A Z-wave button at the top of the stairs sounds like a good option. I would need a hub for that, correct? I am planning on getting a SmartThings hub soon and I think it would work with that, right? What would I need to then have it send a command to the Raspberry Pi?
post #126 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm only just now entering into the smart home arena. I don't have a way to turn everything on downstairs with a single command like you. My theater room lighting is controlled by a Lutron Grafik Eye so no voice or app control but it is controlled by my Harmony Elite Remote/Hub which also controls my AV equipment. But the projector and the Grafik Eye need the IR from the remote pointed at them to turn them on so if I turn on the theater from my Harmony app they don't turn on. The lobby and stair lighting is just a standard 3-way switch so no other controls for them right now.

A Z-wave button at the top of the stairs sounds like a good option. I would need a hub for that, correct? I am planning on getting a SmartThings hub soon and I think it would work with that, right? What would I need to then have it send a command to the Raspberry Pi?
you need a USB Z-Wave Controller for raspberry , if you want my opinion , you can do it much much easy! , you only need a old smart phone! , put the mobile in the wall rear the room (there is a lot wall stands or build your own) , and in your mobile the only thing you see (custom land / html/ css page) is a nice graphic and a button to press to open the display.......
post #127 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0raid View Post
wow! great idea! and yes its super easy to communicate with raspberry pi and movienow!!

We should figure this out! I’m excited that it could work. I’m thinking I’ll create something like this for above my door and mount the full MoviePoster screen on the adjacent wall. Could we program it so that when no movie is playing it could just have a generic message like “welcome to my home theater” or whatever movie poster is currently on the screen as “coming soon” will scroll and then when a movie is playing through Kodi the movie name, rating, start and end time will scroll?

tjambro likes this.
post #128 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We should figure this out! I’m excited that it could work. I’m thinking I’ll create something like this for above my door and mount the full MoviePoster screen on the adjacent wall. Could we program it so that when no movie is playing it could just have a generic message like “welcome to my home theater” or whatever movie poster is currently on the screen as “coming soon” will scroll and then when a movie is playing through Kodi the movie name, rating, start and end time will scroll?

super easy my friend!!! as i saw in the info page has a python script to display anything you want in the LCD scroll , movienow is python friendy and is get all the info from kodi with JSON , so its very very easy to feed the scroll with anything you want , movie end-start time , title , casting , custom message! just anything!
post #129 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
super easy my friend!!! as i saw in the info page has a python script to display anything you want in the LCD scroll , movienow is python friendy and is get all the info from kodi with JSON , so its very very easy to feed the scroll with anything you want , movie end-start time , title , casting , custom message! just anything!

Wow okay I’ll order it. Do you need me to send you a scrolling board or you can help me remotely? Also I forgot to post the photo- thinking something like this

post #130 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow okay I’ll order it. Do you need me to send you a scrolling board or you can help me remotely? Also I forgot to post the photo- thinking something like this

we can do it remotely!! just send the the model! from what you have order!
tjambro likes this.
post #131 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
you need a USB Z-Wave Controller for raspberry , if you want my opinion , you can do it much much easy! , you only need a old smart phone! , put the mobile in the wall rear the room (there is a lot wall stands or build your own) , and in your mobile the only thing you see (custom land / html/ css page) is a nice graphic and a button to press to open the display.......
Well I am trying to find the simplest option. As I see it the problem with a phone or tablet is that I would have to buy one as I don't have any spares. Then I would have to find/buy a powered wall mount that keeps it charged (a brief search isn't yielding much for a tablet). Then in the dark I would have to find and hit the home button (or something) to light up the screen so that I can then hit the actual button to turn it on. Or is it simpler than that?

Please understand I am not trying to be persnickety or shoot down every idea. I just know if it isn't very simple and instinctual to use my wife especially won't bother with it and it then starts to become useless. I have no problem buying whatever necessary hardware (within reason) to make it work as long as it is simple and reliable to use.

Last edited by RockDawg; 12-08-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #132 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well I am trying to find the simplest option. As I see it the problem with a phone or tablet is that I would have to buy one as I don't have any spares. Then I would have to find/buy a powered wall mount that keeps it charged (a brief search isn't yielding much for a tablet). Then in the dark I would have to find and hit the home button (or something) to light up the screen so that I can then hit the actual button to turn it on. Or is it simpler than that?

Please understand I am not trying to be persnickety or shoot down every idea. I just know if it isn't very simple and instinctual to use my wife especially won't bother with it and it then starts to become useless.
there is a kiosk app for android that means , it lock the mobile only the interface you want (simple graphic with the name of your theatre and a button for ON and OFF the display) , no need to search
in the dark about it such the kiosk app it use the mobile front camera to detect motion! , that means , when you are walking to the mobile the mobile display it turns ON , press the button and voilà!
post #133 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
we can do it remotely!! just send the the model! from what you have order!

Perfect! I think I’ll run a separate raspberry pi for the scroll and a separate for the MoviePoster screen- can two different raspberry pi’s connect to Kodi at same time? How will I connect the raspberry pi to the scrolling led display to send appropriate commands? I’m seeing rs232?

post #134 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

I just thought of something... I already have a regular light switch at the top my steps. What if I replaced it with a SmartThings smart switch? Then SmartThings would always know the status of the switch. Would it be possible to use IFTTT (or something) to read that status and then send a corresponding command to power the TV on and off?
post #135 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I just thought of something... I already have a regular light switch at the top my steps. What if I replaced it with a SmartThings smart switch? Then SmartThings would always know the status of the switch. Would it be possible to use IFTTT (or something) to read that status and then send a corresponding command to power the TV on and off?

Look into the homeseer switch along with SmartThings hub- I think that could be a great answer. One click can turn on lights and trigger MoviePoster app- reverse true for turn off. I think you’re into something there though

post #136 of 489 Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Perfect! I think I’ll run a separate raspberry pi for the scroll and a separate for the MoviePoster screen- can two different raspberry pi’s connect to Kodi at same time? How will I connect the raspberry pi to the scrolling led display to send appropriate commands? I’m seeing rs232?

yes you can connect multi rasp with kodi! , and yes with rs232 , you just need this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rs232-to-ttl-arduino-transceiver.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2651410  
post #137 of 489 Old 12-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any update on new release?

Format Neutral
post #138 of 489 Old 12-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
0raid - How feasible would that be? Can SmartThings communicate with the RaspPi to have it send a command to power the TV on and off based on the status of the switch? Can it do it directly or would a need a 3rd arty app like IFTTT or something? I am not real familiar with this stuff so I want to make sure I know exactly what I am looking at before I buy the TV and RaspPi and stuff.
pkinneb likes this.

Last edited by RockDawg; 12-09-2019 at 04:10 PM.
post #139 of 489 Old 12-10-2019, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrytasker1 View Post
Any update on new release?
i am fixing some bugs , in 1-2 days i will send the second version to all the people who make donation , and then after 10 days i will upload the public version.

Quote:
0raid - How feasible would that be? Can SmartThings communicate with the RaspPi to have it send a command to power the TV on and off based on the status of the switch? Can it do it directly or would a need a 3rd arty app like IFTTT or something? I am not real familiar with this stuff so I want to make sure I know exactly what I am looking at before I buy the TV and RaspPi and stuff.
raspberry pi use linux so yes its full IFTTT compatible (server-client)

Last edited by 0raid; 12-10-2019 at 06:22 AM.
post #140 of 489 Old 12-10-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Does it sound like a fairly straight forward solution to you or do you see it requiring a lot of hooks to jump through? I don't know when the Rasp Pi needs to receive to send a CEC command to the TV.
post #141 of 489 Old 12-10-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the help 0raid! We host a movie party every year and this will be front and center. Keep up the amazing work. Donation is coming your way
post #142 of 489 Old 12-10-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
yes you can connect multi rasp with kodi! , and yes with rs232 , you just need this:

I’m going to purchase the raspberry pi so I can get this up and running! Will a raspberry pi 3 B+ work? Also, will the next update be compatible with raspberry pi 4 or should I move forward with the 3?

post #143 of 489 Old 12-10-2019, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 219
When will a version for the RPi4 be released?
post #144 of 489 Old 12-11-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechhipster View Post
Thanks for the help 0raid! We host a movie party every year and this will be front and center. Keep up the amazing work. Donation is coming your way
Thank you very much for your support! I really appreciate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
When will a version for the RPi4 be released?
soon as RPi4 has a total different kernel and i dont have this moment a RPi4 to test it!
post #145 of 489 Old 12-11-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Hi 0raid. Before I purchase the LED scrolling sign. I want to double check something w you. The model I’m looking at says you can control it with Perl. Doesn’t say anything about python. Is that okay?

post #146 of 489 Old 12-11-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi 0raid. Before I purchase the LED scrolling sign. I want to double check something w you. The model I’m looking at says you can control it with Perl. Doesn’t say anything about python. Is that okay?

Yes no problem raspberry also support perl.
post #147 of 489 Old 12-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered a Raspberry Pi to give this a shot. I hope I can get this working as this looks bad ass!

EDIT: What service will SmartThings or IFTTT be communicating with on the Pi to get it send the CEC command to power on the TV?
pkinneb likes this.

Last edited by RockDawg; 12-11-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #148 of 489 Old 12-12-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I ordered a Raspberry Pi to give this a shot. I hope I can get this working as this looks bad ass!

EDIT: What service will SmartThings or IFTTT be communicating with on the Pi to get it send the CEC command to power on the TV?
here is some examples , its very easy to build it , such there i a lot repositories ready-to-go for IFTTT for rasp!

https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry...e-raspberry-pi

the whole idea is: rasp is running a MQTTT receiver , so when some device is publish a message in the specific channel , then the raspberry execute a shell command to open the display via CEC (example the command: echo "on 0" | cec-client -s , is turn the TV on and the command: echo "standby 0" | cec-client -s, turn TV off)

* sorry still i am fixing some bugs in the second version , so i hope tomorrow all the people who has made donation will be receive the second version and personal support from me (via skype , teamviewer)

here you can see the animated top banner and the new font of the second version!

http://movienow.website/movienow2.mov

Last edited by 0raid; 12-12-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #149 of 489 Old 12-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
here is some examples , its very easy to build it , such there i a lot repositories ready-to-go for IFTTT for rasp!

https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry...e-raspberry-pi

the whole idea is: rasp is running a MQTTT receiver , so when some device is publish a message in the specific channel , then the raspberry execute a shell command to open the display via CEC (example the command: echo "on 0" | cec-client -s , is turn the TV on and the command: echo "standby 0" | cec-client -s, turn TV off)

* sorry still i am fixing some bugs in the second version , so i hope tomorrow all the people who has made donation will be receive the second version and personal support from me (via skype , teamviewer)

here you can see the animated top banner and the new font of the second version!

http://movienow.website/movienow2.mov

Donated! Thanks for your hard work! 0raid can you share with us what the new features on version 2 will include?

post #150 of 489 Old 12-12-2019, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Donated! Thanks for your hard work! 0raid can you share with us what the new features on version 2 will include?

Thank you!

i have decide to split movienow app in two versions (one is for Kodi and the other for Plex)

so far version 2 features..

Full Support Kodi Leia 18.5 (and ALL the previous KODI versions!)
Animated Coming Soon / Playing Now / Intermission Banner
Set Dim Opacity (config file)
Set Slide Speed (config file)
Clear Cache (Web Settings)
Reload/Next Poster (Web Settings)
Layout Select (Movie Posters or Cinema Logo) (Web Settings)
HDMI CEC Full supported.
Immediately Respond!
Python/Perl Installed for connection with LCD screens and displays
IFTTT/MQTT Compile and installed

and i am finishing the Remaining Time , Filter Upcoming Posters (Year , Unwatched)

Georgios
tjambro likes this.

Last edited by 0raid; 12-12-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
linux , movie posters , Raspberry Pi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page