• 1 Post By luv2fly3

post #1 of 22 Old 01-29-2020, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 286
New Home Theater Seats

I'm gonna be building a new home theater system soon and have been looking at seats. My old theater had Palliser seats. The seats themselves have been solid with no problems, but the bonded leather was terrible. Lesson learned. The seats I'm looking at now are also Palliser. I need a space saver design and would like a microfiber like fabric material (very soft, comfortable and durable). The seats I noticed from Palliser were the Palliser Audio, which are very nice but a bit expensive for me. Then I came across the Palliser Stereo. They almost seem like the same seat, minus the powered headrest. Is the Stereo the same as the Audio, just without some bells and whistles? If so, that would make the decision easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-29-2020, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I'm gonna be building a new home theater system soon and have been looking at seats. My old theater had Palliser seats. The seats themselves have been solid with no problems, but the bonded leather was terrible. Lesson learned. The seats I'm looking at now are also Palliser. I need a space saver design and would like a microfiber like fabric material (very soft, comfortable and durable). The seats I noticed from Palliser were the Palliser Audio, which are very nice but a bit expensive for me. Then I came across the Palliser Stereo. They almost seem like the same seat, minus the powered headrest. Is the Stereo the same as the Audio, just without some bells and whistles? If so, that would make the decision easier.
I just ordered the Palliser Flicks in the Dax material. A microfiber that feels like leather, durable without risk of peeling. I should get them in a few weeks.

I ordered the Flicks, although pricey, because of the power headrest, and foam backrest, rather then blown fiber, because firmness is very important to me.

Good luck with your selection. You may want to reach out to Alan Hutchinson of HTMarket, a member here, as he has been very helpful, and a pleasure to deal with.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500, Denon AVR-S910.
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD, Denon AVR-X2400H, Palliser Flicks lOlOOlOl Dax material.
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.

Last edited by dsskid; 01-30-2020 at 04:24 AM.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-29-2020, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
I just ordered the Palliser Flicks in the Dax material. A microfiber that feels like leather, durable without risk of peeling. I should get them in a few weeks.

I ordered the Flicks, although pricey, because of the power headrest, and actually foam backrest, rather then blown fiber, because firmness is very important to me.

Good luck with your selection. You may want to reach out to Alan Hutchinson of HTMarket, a member here, as he has been very helpful, and a pleasure to deal with.
Very nice, congratulations! They're very nice looking seats, if I had the space or budget, those would be the ones I would pick. I'm between the Stereo and the Audio, although I think they're the same seat, with the later having more features, although I'm not certain.

The Dax material is what I was looking at under fabric grade 2. I had no idea what that meant, but from your description, it sounds very nice.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to reach out to him when I'm ready. Does he have a website?

Just noticed you're also on Long Island. Small world, I'm in Massapequa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-29-2020, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very nice, congratulations! They're very nice looking seats, if I had the space or budget, those would be the ones I would pick. I'm between the Stereo and the Audio, although I think they're the same seat, with the later having more features, although I'm not certain.

The Dax material is what I was looking at under fabric grade 2. I had no idea what that meant, but from your description, it sounds very nice.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to reach out to him when I'm ready. Does he have a website?
I believe the main difference between the Stereo and Audio is the power headrest.

Yes, HTMarket dot com
Blackdevil77 likes this.

ISF Calibrator
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD, Denon AVR-X2400H, Palliser Flicks lOlOOlOl Dax material.
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-29-2020, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe the main difference between the Stereo and Audio is the power headrest.

Yes, HTMarket dot com
Thank you
post #6 of 22 Old 01-29-2020, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 426
I also have the Palliser Flicks with the Dax material and love them. Definitely recommend that material and their chairs.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
dsskid likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
post #7 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just noticed you're also on Long Island. Small world, I'm in Massapequa.

Howdy neighbor. I'm right next door in Wantagh.

ISF Calibrator
post #8 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Does it look and feel like leather? or more a material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
I also have the Palliser Flicks with the Dax material and love them. Definitely recommend that material and their chairs.

post #9 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Howdy neighbor. I'm right next door in Wantagh.
Wow, small world. Nice to run into somebody so local on the gigantic world wide web.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post
Does it look and feel like leather? or more a material?
It has a soft micro suede / leather like feel. I love as it's not the shiny and smooth leather feel, but it has some of the same qualities including being able to be wiped off easily if you spill something.

I've seen the guys at HT Market offer to send samples out if you wanted to see it first hand.

Here are my seats.

pkinneb likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #11 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It has a soft micro suede / leather like feel. I love as it's not the shiny and smooth leather feel, but it has some of the same qualities including being able to be wiped off easily if you spill something.

I've seen the guys at HT Market offer to send samples out if you wanted to see it first hand.

Here are my seats.

Quote:
Wow, small world. Nice to run into somebody so local on the gigantic world wide web.
I have the following samples at home (roughly 3"x3").
  • DAX Charcoal
  • DAX Grey
  • DILLON Graphite
  • DAX Black
  • DILLON Black
  • DAX Brown
  • Dillon Java
  • DAX Taupe
  • DILLON Stratus

I liked the black Dax that luv2fly3 went with, but the wife wanted something a little lighter (not that I felt the black was jet black) so we went with the Charcoal.

The Dillon is considered Grade 1 and what Palliser supplies to the movie theaters. Supposed to stand up to more abuse. The Dax is also said to be very durable, but a nice feel to it. The Dillon is much smoother, in my opinion, more of a vinyl feel. Also slightly less money.

The Dillon doesn't have the backing that the Dax has, which IMO gives the Dax a softer feel.

But you can decide for yourself

If you want we can meet somewhere and I can give the samples to you.

John

ISF Calibrator

Last edited by dsskid; 01-30-2020 at 07:29 AM.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you want to take a ride into Huntington, Sound Insight has the Audio and Flicks on display. The Audio on display is in the Dillon material.

If you want the address, PM me, as I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here.

ISF Calibrator
post #13 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Thank you
Reach out to me when you get a chance either pm or use ahutch "at" htmarket "do" com, I can quote it out for you and send samples if you need free.

Regards,
Alan
post #14 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you want to take a ride into Huntington, Sound Insight has the Audio and Flicks on display. The Audio on display is in the Dillon material.

If you want the address, PM me, as I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here.
Huntington isn't far from me, I'll definitely pass by to check that out. PM me the address whenever you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTmarket View Post
Reach out to me when you get a chance either pm or use ahutch "at" htmarket "do" com, I can quote it out for you and send samples if you need free.

Regards,
Alan
PM sent!
post #15 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Huntington isn't far from me, I'll definitely pass by to check that out. PM me the address whenever you get a chance.

PM sent!
Info sent.

ISF Calibrator
post #16 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 03:46 PM

Would you say the Dillon feels and looks more like a leather? So it's a lower grade but more durable? (you said more abuse). Do these materials wrinkle and crease like leather over time?

Quote:
I have the following samples at home (roughly 3"x3").
  • DAX Charcoal
  • DAX Grey
  • DILLON Graphite
  • DAX Black
  • DILLON Black
  • DAX Brown
  • Dillon Java
  • DAX Taupe
  • DILLON Stratus

I liked the black Dax that luv2fly3 went with, but the wife wanted something a little lighter (not that I felt the black was jet black) so we went with the Charcoal.

The Dillon is considered Grade 1 and what Palliser supplies to the movie theaters. Supposed to stand up to more abuse. The Dax is also said to be very durable, but a nice feel to it. The Dillon is much smoother, in my opinion, more of a vinyl feel. Also slightly less money.

The Dillon doesn't have the backing that the Dax has, which IMO gives the Dax a softer feel.

But you can decide for yourself

If you want we can meet somewhere and I can give the samples to you.

John
post #17 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Do these materials wrinkle and crease like leather over time?
I can't speak to the Dillon fabric, but I've had our chairs for more than 3 years and the DAX material on ours has not wrinkled and creased at all. In that way, I much prefer it over leather. Plus it's not slippery like leather, yet it wipes off if something is spilled. I accidentally spilled red wine on my chair at one point, and quite a bit. It wiped right off and you'd never know it happened. I love the DAX material.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #18 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would you say the Dillon feels and looks more like a leather? So it's a lower grade but more durable? (you said more abuse). Do these materials wrinkle and crease like leather over time?
More like leather? Subjective. Much smoother than the Dax. Somewhat harder, again subjective. If you go to a movie theater with recliners....that’s the Dillon. The Dillion is subjected to a rub test. Much higher rub test. Supposedly more durable, for a more commercial environment, however, we don’t live in a commercial environment.

My advise would be to order samples.

ISF Calibrator
post #19 of 22 Old 01-30-2020, 05:32 PM

Thanks, very helpful. I will def get samples!

Quote:
I can't speak to the Dillon fabric, but I've had our chairs for more than 3 years and the DAX material on ours has not wrinkled and creased at all. In that way, I much prefer it over leather. Plus it's not slippery like leather, yet it wipes off if something is spilled. I accidentally spilled red wine on my chair at one point, and quite a bit. It wiped right off and you'd never know it happened. I love the DAX material.
Quote:
More like leather? Subjective. Much smoother than the Dax. Somewhat harder, again subjective. If you go to a movie theater with recliners....that’s the Dillon. The Dillion is subjected to a rub test. Much higher rub test. Supposedly more durable, for a more commercial environment, however, we don’t live in a commercial environment.

My advise would be to order samples.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-31-2020, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am in a search of a cat proof fabric. My old Berkline sofa (circa 1997) is covered in a Microfiber called DuPont Antron that has been excellent as far as cats are concerned but I can not find that fabric (by that name anyway). I am slowly collecting fabric samples and using a push pin to test for claw punctures and scratches. The Octane microfiber Smartsuede passes as does HTMarket's microfiber. Of the Palliser swatches I have obtained the Bela, Sofia and Peyton pass. Palliser Synergy, Ambient, and Alpine seem to be ok but may be a scratch magnet due to the rougher texture. The Dillon passes the scratch test put not the puncture test as holes can clearly be seen. I would be very interested in knowing if someone has found a cat proof fabric (like the DuPont Antron).
post #21 of 22 Old 01-31-2020, 09:37 PM

Don't use the DAX from Palliser. I have a scratch in one of my seats from my cat. We made our theater a pet free zone as a result!

Spartans' Theater Build
post #22 of 22 Old 04-24-2020, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Don't use the DAX from Palliser. I have a scratch in one of my seats from my cat. We made our theater a pet free zone as a result!
Your cat must be happy with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page