AVS Forum banner

LG OLED65C6P - Burn in Issues in less than 1 year

8K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  bootymonger 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I loved this TV to death. In less than 1 year I noticed some burn in that was pretty big. I started doing the "clear panel" process many times and then realized that I had JUST passed the 1-year warranty limit (no I didn't buy a $400 extended warranty since I almost paid $2700 for this TV and have NEVER had issues with my other 65" tip-top Samsung Panel before this one).

I had no idea that these panels are SENSITIVE to burn-in! First of all, this TV shuts itself off or a screen saver comes on as soon as it's not noticing any activity or if it notices a pause or some kind but apparently burn in on these can happen if you just watch a channel with bright colors OFTEN ENOUGH?!!

This is very sad to me. I called LG and they just referred me to "TV repair" nearby that never even called me back.

Does anyone know any tricks or solutions for his? :frown:

#4 · (Edited)
Well miracle of miracles! Called the number you posted, got customer rep who we told that we had a problem with burn in on our LG OLED65B6P out of warranty set, but we had filed a claim while it was in warranty. We posted here earlier our bad prior experience with LG on this denied claim. He said he would send me to the " OLED Dept". The "OLED Dept" listened, was able to pull up our file from the earlier denied in warranty claim. Then we were advised they would make a one time exception and give us a new panel. He said he would contact an authorized LG repair rep in our area (Venice, Fl) and we should get a call in 24 hours. LG would cover everything, including the new panel and install cost. I almost fell over. I don't know what changed since we have been fighting them for a year and have been denied at every level; maybe public pressure?

BTW, he also said there is no away to avoid burn in if you watch the news channels, whether it be Fox, CNN, MSNBC, Headline News, CNBC, or whatever; the bright logos and news banners cause problems. You can watch them only a couple of hours a day , but it adds up. The degradation of the emissive organic phosphors is cumulative. He did suggest running the "Clear Panel Noise" function every time we turn off the set. He also said neither lowering brightness, color intensity, contrast, OLED LIGHT, or anything else has any effect in preventing "Burn In". I don't believe he is an engineer, just a trained customer representative, since some of his advice seemed counter intuitive. For example, I asked him if setting the color level to zero and watching the picture in black and white would prevent burn in. He said it wouldn't. Really, how are the phosphors degraded by watching in black and white, though I understand that white is a combination of all colors? I will defer to those with the back round and experience to comment here. Anyway, getting a new panel on LG's dime. :) No more news shows for us, at least on the oled.

Good luck to everyone else with this issue and thanks to those who posted their success( Brian Delaney) in persuading LG to give them a new panel.
It encouraged us to give them another call which finally paid off!

#5 · (Edited)
I had to quit watching fake news after I bought my oled . Used to watch cnn religiously before that .
My dealer recommended watching programming in expert dark , so that’s what I do most of the time . If I watch a movie I’ll change it to Standard.

I actually contacted cnn and told them they are creating burn in problems with oled owners . Mentioned they could simply turn down the opacity on there logos etc , and it would probably help.

Anderson never got back to me

#6 ·
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I have had the same TV since 2016, and paid a staggering $4,000 for it. The amount of burn-in is substantial. The culprit in my case is the built-in YouTube app. The bottom and top corner is where it's most noticeable. Clear panel does nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.