Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
LG C9 vs Sony A8G

Hello All,

Looking to upgrade my old Sony x850c to an OLED model. Only use the TV for streaming on my Roku 4 or ps4 pro gaming. RTings show the C9 is the superior television for my needs plus cheaper then the A8G however bestbuy is selling them for the same cost. Best Buy is selling a A8G for 1999 and the C9 for 2099 both 65".

My question is for the same price which is the better value?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrandt12 View Post
Hello All,

Looking to upgrade my old Sony x850c to an OLED model. Only use the TV for streaming on my Roku 4 or ps4 pro gaming. RTings show the C9 is the superior television for my needs plus cheaper then the A8G however bestbuy is selling them for the same cost. Best Buy is selling a A8G for 1999 and the C9 for 2099 both 65".

Like wise I am debating between 77 inch C9 Vs Sony master series approx same price?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrandt12 View Post
Hello All,

You already answered your own question. Get the c9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 248
You can find C9 vs. A8G discussion in several threads.

Here's my summary from the A8G thread, reposted here with edits:

If you're a fast-twitch console gamer, buy the LG for HDMI 2.1 support and lower latency.

If you want to use the TV as the "hub" of your system (rather than an AVR or pre/pro), buy the LG because the A8G only has two full spec HDMI ports that support [email protected] w/ HDR.

If you predominantly watch SD and HD content, buy the Sony.

If you want to use the TV as your center channel speaker, buy the Sony for its screen-is-the-radiating-surface speaker. Even though the audio quality isn't up there with a good dedicated center speaker, it's pretty neat having dialogue sound like it's literally coming from the mouth on screen.

Otherwise, I think it's a bit of a toss-up. They use the same panel, so they have very similar picture quality. There are minor differences when comparing like presets, but I think these would disappear when calibrated. Some people have strong opinions about webOS vs. Android. I have a Roku Ultra and Nvidia ShieldTV, so I didn't care much about the TV's apps. Also, some like the Sony's stand better, and it's a little cheaper at the moment.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #5 of 7 Old 11-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
If you want to use the TV as your center channel speaker, buy the Sony for its screen-is-the-radiating-surface speaker.
Center speaker mode is only for the significantly more expensive Master Series A9G (and older A9F, which is generally unavailable). A8G has acoustic surface, but no center mode speaker wire inputs.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Important point. Thanks for the correction.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2019, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
You can find C9 vs. A8G discussion in several threads.

Here's my summary from the A8G thread, reposted here with edits:

If you're a fast-twitch console gamer, buy the LG for HDMI 2.1 support and lower latency.

If you want to use the TV as the "hub" of your system (rather than an AVR or pre/pro), buy the LG because the A8G only has two full spec HDMI ports that support [email protected] w/ HDR.

If you predominantly watch SD and HD content, buy the Sony.

If you want to use the TV as your center channel speaker, buy the Sony for its screen-is-the-radiating-surface speaker. Even though the audio quality isn't up there with a good dedicated center speaker, it's pretty neat having dialogue sound like it's literally coming from the mouth on screen.

Otherwise, I think it's a bit of a toss-up. They use the same panel, so they have very similar picture quality. There are minor differences when comparing like presets, but I think these would disappear when calibrated. Some people have strong opinions about webOS vs. Android. I have a Roku Ultra and Nvidia ShieldTV, so I didn't care much about the TV's apps. Also, some like the Sony's stand better, and it's a little cheaper at the moment.

These are all excellent points and I appreciate your input. I think the C9 is for me then. I think a lot of it though is that I've never had a LG or know anyone who has. I think there's a stigma that only Sony makes the best TVs because that's all I've ever own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page