Considering Purchasing An LG OLED TV From Greentoe - Any Experiences? Good? Bad? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 04-19-2020, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Exclamation Considering Purchasing An LG OLED TV From Greentoe - Any Experiences? Good? Bad?

Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of purchasing an LG OLED (C9 77") from the site Greentoe. The price is really good... but you know what they always say - if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Does anyone have any past experiences with Greentoe? Are they legit? Scammers? Their Google reviews are good, but last time I just went by Google reviews I nearly got scammed, lol.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-19-2020, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 868
I bought an A9G from Greentoe last year and had a really good experience. Far below MSRP, no sales tax, and from an authorized retailer. It took less than a week from the time I accepted the offer to receive the TV.
post #3 of 32 Old 04-19-2020, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I bought an A9G from Greentoe last year and had a really good experience. Far below MSRP, no sales tax, and from an authorized retailer. It took less than a week from the time I accepted the offer to receive the TV.
Thank you for your response.

I'm just concerned I'm going to be getting a floor model as I read the timers on these TVs can be reset and there's no way to tell if it's used - is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 04-20-2020, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked: 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Man View Post
Thank you for your response.

I'm just concerned I'm going to be getting a floor model as I read the timers on these TVs can be reset and there's no way to tell if it's used - is that true?
Greentoe doesnt have a floor .

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #5 of 32 Old 04-20-2020, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Greentoe doesnt have a floor .
I know Greentoe doesn't have a retail store, but the authorized retailers they source from do have stores with floor models, so that's why I'm asking.

Last edited by Mr.Man; 04-20-2020 at 04:14 AM.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-20-2020, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
I know Greentoe doesn't have a retail store, but the authorized retailers they source from do have stores with floor models, so that's why I'm asking.
I don't think you're in any more danger of getting a floor model that has the hours wiped out from Greentoe than you are of getting one from a brick & mortar store.
post #7 of 32 Old 04-20-2020, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 125
If you look at the 'great deals found' threads you can see many people's experiences with Greentoe.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-20-2020, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked: 2865
Quote:
They are a drop shipper/passthrough for brand new products. They don't drop ship floor model TV's. Those are sold in store only to customers or employees. You buy from someone like Greentoe and you'll get a brand new TV.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #9 of 32 Old 04-21-2020, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of purchasing an LG OLED (C9 77") from the site Greentoe. The price is really good... but you know what they always say - if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Does anyone have any past experiences with Greentoe? Are they legit? Scammers? Their Google reviews are good, but last time I just went by Google reviews I nearly got scammed, lol.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
What price are you getting?
post #10 of 32 Old 05-21-2020, 05:29 AM

Liked: 11
Just purchased a 65 C9 for $1950 from Greentoe. Shipping was fast and item arrived in perfect condition. They essentially saved me $450 from lowest advertised price. Highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madmax67 likes this.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-21-2020, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
How long did it take to process the order? I accepted a counter offer on a 77" C9 late last night (around 10pm).

I wasn't contacted today and my card hasn't been charged yet. I'm trying to be patient but this is my first rodeo with GT and I found it odd they wouldn't have already charged me. If I was selling that would be my favorite part, lol.

Am I just being paranoid and overly anxious?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #12 of 32 Old 05-21-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
How long did it take to process the order? I accepted a counter offer on a 77" C9 late last night (around 10pm).

I wasn't contacted today and my card hasn't been charged yet. I'm trying to be patient but this is my first rodeo with GT and I found it odd they wouldn't have already charged me. If I was selling that would be my favorite part, lol.

Am I just being paranoid and overly anxious?

Took a few days to process. Shipping from NJ to KC took 3 days. Don’t sweat it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13 of 32 Old 05-21-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydisco View Post
Took a few days to process. Shipping from NJ to KC took 3 days. Don’t sweat it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Man I really appreciate the response back, thank you!

Helps ease my nerves a bit. Normally I wouldn't care but the price I got was pretty sweet, and I've been worried they would back out. My hopes are up now and I'm ready to enjoy all that OLED awesomeness!

post #14 of 32 Old 05-22-2020, 08:41 AM

Wanted to respond back and confirm my card was processed this AM and the seller was disclosed.

I haven't got a tracking number yet but it appears shipment will also originate in NJ. My gut tells me it's the same retailer.

When you received, was it a curb drop off or did they bring in the house? Also did they wait for you to inspect the package and TV for damage? And did they allow you to power up and run any tests prior to them leaving?

I've not ordered a TV online before and a little nervous in case I have banding, dead pixels, physical damage, etc. Seems easier to have my ducks in a row to quickly test/examine the unit and refuse acceptance if a problem exists.

post #15 of 32 Old 05-24-2020, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Wanted to respond back and confirm my card was processed this AM and the seller was disclosed.

I haven't got a tracking number yet but it appears shipment will also originate in NJ. My gut tells me it's the same retailer.

When you received, was it a curb drop off or did they bring in the house? Also did they wait for you to inspect the package and TV for damage? And did they allow you to power up and run any tests prior to them leaving?

I've not ordered a TV online before and a little nervous in case I have banding, dead pixels, physical damage, etc. Seems easier to have my ducks in a row to quickly test/examine the unit and refuse acceptance if a problem exists.

It's delivered by Fedex\UPS, so they are just going to ensure you are home and see where you want it placed (porch, driveway, garage, etc.). They aren't going to bring it into your home nor will they wait for you to unbox, inspect, set it up, and run tests. If you have any specific issues you'll have to deal with the retailer/LG directly.
post #16 of 32 Old 06-04-2020, 01:43 AM

Just wanted to update this thread.

5/20 accepted retailer counter offer of $3,599 including delivery and taxes

5/21 no activity or communications from GT or retailer

5/22 received notice from CC company of large purchase and shortly after received 2 shipping notices from retailer and 1 from GT. The 1st notice from retailer said it was shipping FedEx and gave me a tracking number.

Later I would learn the TV was NOT shipping FedEx. Instead it is coming via slow boat and isn't schedule to arrive until 6/5. Ugh. Looked up the freight company and they are 1-2 stars on every site I look. Double ugh.

In fairness, for the price I got I'm sure they were trying to save where possible. But it would be nice if GT had an option where you could choose your shipping method. I would have been happy to pay a few bucks extra for the peace of mind and faster delivery.

5/23 - 6/1 sweating bullets and keeping fingers crossed things go smoothly and faster than projected.

6/2 get an email from the freight company saying I need to confirm via email/website a delivery window before close of business or call them. If they don't hear back they will auto reschedule to an undisclosed time. Of course I promptly confirm.

6/3 get a call about 3:40 saying they are roughly 30 minutes away, pending traffic. My window was 3-7pm FYI. They actually make it closer to 5pm but still within their window.

Once here, they see I have a spot cleared and ready to hook up the new TV. They are clear they will just plug in to verify it works, no cracked screen and no dead pixels. They pull out of the box to do just that. It checks out. They put back in the box and they are on their way.

I'm still toying with stuff but so far really digging it. The TV is crazy thin and the build quality is very good. The stand is 10x nicer than my Sharp and quite beautiful to be what it is. More on the tech stuff later.

As far as GT and the retailer, and even the shipping company. They all did as they promised and while I didn't like the ship duration they actually beat it by a few days. This was my first experience with all them, and my first time buying a TV online ever, which accounts for some of uneasiness.

But for the money saved, I would purchase again. And I do dig the GT process. Let's me barter as I want.

Alan P likes this.
post #17 of 32 Old 06-04-2020, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Fed ex have been terrible lately, you probably still wouldn’t have your tv if they did ship with fed ex.

post #18 of 32 Old 06-04-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
Fed ex have been terrible lately, you probably still wouldn’t have your tv if they did ship with fed ex.
Yeah that is a real possibility. In the past FedEx has been rock solid for me. But about 2 months back we bought my wife a new laptop for business and it shipped via FedEx.

It was delayed about 3 days, which was almost double the original estimate.

COVID had things shut down more then, and looking at the tracking it was silly mistakes. Like leaving point B and going to point C then returning back to point B. And then back to C and then D, lol.

UPS has been pretty consistent for us though on other smaller shipments.

post #19 of 32 Old 06-04-2020, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Buddy of mine just bought a 65B9 from Greentoe. $1750 delivered to SF and it shipped from NJ. I think the C9 was $200 more. Took 4-5 days shipping coast to coast. He's very happy with the Greentoe pricing and service.

Afro GT
post #20 of 32 Old 06-05-2020, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is green toe mainly supplied by buydig.com or are there other suppliers as well?
post #21 of 32 Old 06-05-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie17 View Post
Is green toe mainly supplied by buydig.com or are there other suppliers as well?
Actually I think GreenToe is more of a "broker" meaning they partner with a variety of suppliers. They just provide a universal gathering spot on the internet where buyers can search product, offer a price and then those requests to buy get filtered to their partners. Those partners can either ignore, accept or make a counter offer back. My guess is that GT then takes a small slice off the top for making the connection and brokering the sale.

Also, when I spoke to the GT rep, they explained that some of their suppliers just ignore really low ball offers. The way she made it sound was they had a "filter" of sorts on their side. My interpretation of this was maybe they had the ability to only see offers that were no more than 20% below MSRP, or 30% or whatever number they thought was reasonable and fair. In other words, they wouldn't even waste their time reviewing a $1 offer for a $2,000 product. But they may consider a $1,700 offer. I do know with the C9 I purchased, I only got a (counter offer) response from ONE retailer.

The supplier that I purchased from was from the USA. I am not certain if they have overseas partners. They may do so, as long as they are AUTHORIZED dealers, as they state that is a core requirement. And something you want anyhow, so you get full warranties, etc.

I would try emailing them your question. Please report back and let us know the response. I'm sure there are others that would like to know for sure.
post #22 of 32 Old 06-27-2020, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Greentoe is not listed as an LG authorized dealer on LG's website, but the listing of the LG C9 on Greentoe claims that you will receive the LG warranty as the retailer selling the TV is an authorized retailer. Is this accurate and others have confirmed they got the LG warranty when purchasing through Greentoe?
post #23 of 32 Old 06-29-2020, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch16 View Post
Greentoe is not listed as an LG authorized dealer on LG's website, but the listing of the LG C9 on Greentoe claims that you will receive the LG warranty as the retailer selling the TV is an authorized retailer. Is this accurate and others have confirmed they got the LG warranty when purchasing through Greentoe?
Yes. Greentoe is just a broker. You are really purchasing from an authorized dealer. They provided an invoice that made no mention of Greentoe and I had no issues registering for the warranty.
post #24 of 32 Old 06-30-2020, 05:32 AM

As already noted, GT is a broker meaning they connect you to the authorized retailer but they don't actually own or sell the product. So it would not be surprising they aren't listed.

The retailer that fulfilled my order is a listed LG authorized retailer. I have a receipt from the retailer with the retailer name on it. I have not yet filled out the warranty registration (thanks for the reminder) but don't anticipate any issues.

I might add I used a credit card for the purchase that helped extend the factory warranty for free. Just a perk. Most credit cards do this, although some extend further than others. A copy of your receipt and paperwork will be critical to furnish to the CC company in the event you need to file a claim. So make sure to make a copy (paper or electronic or both) and keep somewhere safe.

Last edited by nolimits76; 06-30-2020 at 05:37 AM.
post #25 of 32 Old 07-04-2020, 08:33 AM

Upon Delivery Question

So I just bought a Sony XBR77A9G from Greentoe and my retailer has this note on their web site when talking about shipped TVs:

“It is always possible for a TV to be damaged in shipping, so we ask that you inspect the TV before signing, not just the box.’

Has anyone actually been able to hold the delivery guy until you do this? I know that sounds a little naive but it takes much longer to unbox a TV than, say, a chair or end table. If you have been able to hold them what magic phrase did you use?

Getting excited as my TV has shipped and should be here in 5-7 days!
post #26 of 32 Old 07-04-2020, 09:40 AM

Within the past few months I've had two TV delivery experiences.

The first was my LG 77C9 I've talked about above. On that delivery the guys came in, unboxed and (temporarily) set the TV up so I could inspect for physical damage. Also they powered on and allowed me a few minutes to inspect for dead pixels. Let me be clear, we barely pulled the TV out of the box and propped it up by them holding it. No time to put the stand on and put on my TV stand that was literally cleared and behind them. When they saw it they were clear they didn't do that aspect. I tried to sweet talk them into letting me do more but they weren't having it. But in fairness I didn't pay the extra fee for home setup, etc. Overall I thought this was reasonable.

The second was a LG 49" I bought for my daughter's birthday. I purchased online at Best Buy and they too used a similar (but different) delivery company. They were much, much faster shipping the unit (just a couple of days). I was getting ready for work on delivery day and received an alert saying the TV was delivered. My wife was already up and I asked if she knew this. She opened the door and advised it was on the porch. Granted that was a $300 purchase vs $3500 purchase but at least ringing the doorbell seems like a reasonable ask. I wasn't very happy with the way this delivery occurred and think it could have been better.

So two very different experiences. The delivery company selected by the retailer will likely dictate your experience.

post #27 of 32 Old 07-04-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Within the past few months I've had two TV delivery experiences.

The first was my LG 77C9 I've talked about above. On that delivery the guys came in, unboxed and (temporarily) set the TV up so I could inspect for physical damage. Also they powered on and allowed me a few minutes to inspect for dead pixels. Let me be clear, we barely pulled the TV out of the box and propped it up by them holding it. No time to put the stand on and put on my TV stand that was literally cleared and behind them. When they saw it they were clear they didn't do that aspect. I tried to sweet talk them into letting me do more but they weren't having it. But in fairness I didn't pay the extra fee for home setup, etc. Overall I thought this was reasonable.

The second was a LG 49" I bought for my daughter's birthday. I purchased online at Best Buy and they too used a similar (but different) delivery company. They were much, much faster shipping the unit (just a couple of days). I was getting ready for work on delivery day and received an alert saying the TV was delivered. My wife was already up and I asked if she knew this. She opened the door and advised it was on the porch. Granted that was a $300 purchase vs $3500 purchase but at least ringing the doorbell seems like a reasonable ask. I wasn't very happy with the way this delivery occurred and think it could have been better.

So two very different experiences. The delivery company selected by the retailer will likely dictate your experience.

Terrific, thanks. Is it worth trying to pay them a few bucks to get them to stay? Sorry, just not sure what the custom is...with Best Buy I’m confident and familiar with the process but this is something totally new to me.
post #28 of 32 Old 07-04-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsaway View Post
Terrific, thanks. Is it worth trying to pay them a few bucks to get them to stay? Sorry, just not sure what the custom is...with Best Buy I’m confident and familiar with the process but this is something totally new to me.
The company that delivered my LG 77C9 had an upgrade service I could purchase. They didn't force it on me but I read reviews of others that took it. My analysis was it wasn't a good value so I passed.

The service I got was "standard" based on the way the delivery guys presented it. They may have taken a cash tip to stay longer but I didn't propose it. Honestly they seemed rushed to get out the door. I don't mean that rude. If they have 10 deliveries to make, then that "hustle" will keep them on target. Seeing that I never bothered offering them cash to stay longer and do extra. I just didn't think it would be well received.

post #29 of 32 Old 07-04-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The company that delivered my LG 77C9 had an upgrade service I could purchase. They didn't force it on me but I read reviews of others that took it. My analysis was it wasn't a good value so I passed.

The service I got was "standard" based on the way the delivery guys presented it. They may have taken a cash tip to stay longer but I didn't propose it. Honestly they seemed rushed to get out the door. I don't mean that rude. If they have 10 deliveries to make, then that "hustle" will keep them on target. Seeing that I never bothered offering them cash to stay longer and do extra. I just didn't think it would be well received.

Ok, thank you!
post #30 of 32 Old 07-04-2020, 02:48 PM

Greentoe is legit. Wish I knew if SilverstarAV was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page