"Cash Cab" on Discovery HD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Cash Cab" is now in glorious HD. Beginning with episode 164, air date 3/3/2008 Cash Cab is in HD with a new cab - number 7N78 for those of you in New York- with new roof lights and doubled prize money. The first fares on the HD version of the show were a couple of Einsteins, no kidding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

"Cash Cab" is now in glorious HD. Beginning with episode 164, air date 3/3/2008 Cash Cab is in HD with a new cab - number 7N78 for those of you in New York- with new roof lights and doubled prize money. The first fares on the HD version of the show were a couple of Einsteins, no kidding.

Awesome, thanks for the update. I just assumed it would always be SD. Good show.

Too bad most here aren't into trivia. Back when MOJOHD was InHD, they aired this show that was locally produced by WRAL in Raleigh, "Brain Game," which was a trivia show/competition with teams of HS students. I think I was the only AVS'er who watched it as I mentioned it here several times but got no response.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-04-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

The first fares on the HD version of the show were a couple of Einsteins, no kidding.

With a baby Einstein otw

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-04-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For those of you with Dish HD-DVRs who want to grab the new HD version of the show, there seems to be a little mix up, either on Discovery's or Dish's part. The first HD show is being labeled episode 164, air date 3/3/2008, AND episode 1, air date 12/5/2005. The second show is labeled episode 165, air date 3/4/2008, and episode 2 air date 12/5/2005. Until they get this cleared up my 722 will be recording two copies of the new shows.

Anyway, a new HD show should be on tonight at 6pm EST on Discovery HD.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up, haven't watched this for a while but it's a decent show and I'm curious to see what it looks like in HD.

Anyone know what equipment they're using to shoot the in-cab segments? That was why like pappy97 I thought this would always be in SD.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I watched The Brain Game sometimes. Now we have Jeopardy in HD. I've only seen Cash Cab a couple of times but I'll check out the HD quality.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #7 of 25 Old 03-04-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I noticed it was in HD as well last night. The guide error is coming up on comcast too, since I checked it immediately when I saw it was in HD and it was listed as 2005.

Sony 55X900e
Vizio P50-C1 - My Calibration Settings
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #8 of 25 Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old64mb View Post

Anyone know what equipment they're using to shoot the in-cab segments? That was why like pappy97 I thought this would always be in SD.

The fact that they are using HIDDEN mobile HD cameras is pretty amazing. The interior shots don't look as good as the exterior shots, but they are definitely HD and look WAY better than the old SD hidden cams. The GPS graphics use satellite photos now, very cool.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I regret to inform you that the powers that be have moved Discovery Channel's best show away from the (IMHO) perfect dinner hour companion to earlier in the day.
It was on at 6 pm (eastern) and now has moved to 9:30 in the morning.
If you have never seen this show it is the next best thing since Jeopardy! A cab ride becomes a game show. See what other folks know and what you don't. Be fascinated by watching who does double or nothing. (it will surprise you)
Write and complain if you like the old time better. Watch and enjoy if you are into Daytime TV.
Bummed Out
Tee Jay
post #10 of 25 Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Looking forward to NYC's TWC adding Discovery in HD. Got hooked into watching the SD show in part for testing trivia and also because cash cab is buzzing through my 'neighborhood'. HD cameras exist that are even smaller than this palm-size Iconix model, although I sometimes, from contestant's puzzling looks initially toward the front seat, thought they might have someone seated there with a larger camera (SD shows). Ben's wearing an earpiece link, so perhaps there's a radio-linked producer's chase car, too, for those shots of contestants entering/leaving the cash cab and other details. -- John
post #11 of 25 Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

I regret to inform you that the powers that be have moved Discovery Channel's best show away from the (IMHO) perfect dinner hour companion to earlier in the day.
It was on at 6 pm (eastern) and now has moved to 9:30 in the morning.
If you have never seen this show it is the next best thing since Jeopardy! A cab ride becomes a game show. See what other folks know and what you don't. Be fascinated by watching who does double or nothing. (it will surprise you)
Write and complain if you like the old time better. Watch and enjoy if you are into Daytime TV.
Bummed Out
Tee Jay

DVR=no problem.

post #12 of 25 Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
I agree on two things: Cash Cab is a hoot and a good DVR solves so many scheduling problems!
post #13 of 25 Old 08-23-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Cash Cab is a hoot..

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #14 of 25 Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched a few HD-captured shows this week, although only in SD here so far (NYC's TWC). Looked like they need better HD cameras (if that's productopm), or perhaps better operation: A number of shots out the cash cab window were totally overexposed (all white). More noticeable, though, is the too-fuzzy PQ even when viewed as SD. Usually HD capture viewed as SD has better PQ because the downconversion to 480i boosts sharpness: (better contrast of coarser resolutions). The SD version of the HD shows appears with side pillars and top/bottom black bars, which my cable STB can zoom to full-screen 16X9 without weird geometry--and adding just a slight blur. Looks like three half-hour shows each morning, with one doubled-prize/HD-captured episode first. -- John
post #15 of 25 Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Watched a few HD-captured shows this week, although only in SD here so far (NYC's TWC). Looked like they need better HD cameras (if that's productopm), or perhaps better operation: A number of shots out the cash cab window were totally overexposed (all white). More noticeable, though, is the too-fuzzy PQ even when viewed as SD. Usually HD capture viewed as SD has better PQ because the downconversion to 480i boosts sharpness: (better contrast of coarser resolutions). The SD version of the HD shows appears with side pillars and top/bottom black bars, which my cable STB can zoom to full-screen 16X9 without weird geometry--and adding just a slight blur. Looks like three half-hour shows each morning, with one doubled-prize/HD-captured episode first. -- John

Only the 2008 episodes were shot in HD. They're now showing 2007 episodes which were shot is SD and are slightly stretched if you watch on Discovery HD. The HD shows have the new cab with fancier "surprise" lights, $50 first questions and the new number: 7N7G.
post #16 of 25 Old 09-03-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:

Only the 2008 episodes were shot in HD. They're now showing 2007 episodes which were shot is SD and are slightly stretched if you watch on Discovery HD. The HD shows have the new cab with fancier "surprise" lights, $50 first questions and the new number: 7N7G.

On Dish they are showing episodes with the original air date listed as 2006 which are in HD (verified by the new license plate number). Of late I'd say one of out three have been in HD. I'm presuming the show's details are messed up...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
| Water cooled PC - i7-8700K - 16GB RAM - NVMe - RTX 2080 - 4K Monitor |
post #17 of 25 Old 09-03-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

On Dish they are showing episodes with the original air date listed as 2006 which are in HD (verified by the new license plate number). Of late I'd say one of out three have been in HD. I'm presuming the show's details are messed up...

Their episodes numbers and dates used to be all messed up Dish, maybe they are again. March 3th 2008 was the original air date for the first HD episode. See the 1st post.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In my Comcast all of the episodes say 2006. It's just incorrect guide data.

post #19 of 25 Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 162
It is on again at 6 PM.
Still no Tivo
Tee Jay
(watching the Cab on VCR really shows the difference between HD and SD.)
post #20 of 25 Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Their 8th season starts Monday, Dec. 4, 10 p.m. ET, on Discovery. Looks like they're occassionaly bringing in familar faces, such as their brief Cash Cab from Las Vegas. Hope they minimize riders feigning surprise. The Game Show Network has been delivering simultaneous SD and HD repeat episodes for a while via my Verizon FIOS.

Spotted a mother and two daughters from Kansas on the 60th-episode season-1 repeat who seemed right out of the midwestern '55-film Picnic. The Cash Cab older-daughter looked like Kim Novak, playing Madge, while the slightly geeky younger daughter approxmated Madge's sister. -- John
post #21 of 25 Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3707 Post(s)
Liked: 3188
this show is still on?...that's good to know...can't say I watched it a ton but it's a very fun show that I like tuning into when nothing else in on the tube
post #22 of 25 Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

First two episodes, "The Celebrity Edition," had a NCSI star and comedian join Cash Cab riders to assist. The technique helped avoid having celebrities playing for charities and simulating surprise. HD quality seems a little better, although that might mostly be Discovery's 1080i versus replays from other channels. A new feature, in addition to'street shout-outs', is 'social-media help' when Ben Bailey uses a smart phone to quickly get numerous (accurate) answers and aid for contestants. Boils down, it seems, to using the earth's on-line population versus often unknowledgeable NYC person(s) helping. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 12-11-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo
post #23 of 25 Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's curious, the new season seems to have vanished, with no reason I could see at the Discovery site and nothing scheduled up to ~Jan. 20 (FIOS electronic guide). -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 01-12-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: add-on
post #24 of 25 Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
That's curious, the new season seems to have vanished, with no reason I could see at the Discovery site and nothing scheduled up to ~Jan. 20 (FIOS electronic guide). -- John
Well now, Discovery threw us a bone, as one young contestant pleaded as he lost on an old show. My NYC FIOS search guide, in addition to dozens of older HD/SD shows from the Game Show Network, has one Season 8 early "Celebrity" program (June 7) listed for Spanish Discovery channel 1563. Meanwhile the current seaaon 8, if still being recorded, is still missing on FIOS. -- John
post #25 of 25 Old 07-28-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Discovery ran S9 episode 1 yesterday, a 1-hour Shark Week edition. They uncovered lots of shark references (all questions) for their marketing effort. Notice they're airing episode 2 next Friday 8/3. -- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page