Comcast HD Quality Reduction: Details, Screenshots - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the suggestion about an antenna .... unfortunately an OTA antenna won't pick up SD CNBC, CNN, etc.

BTW, what is the definition of "core channels" .... I'm sure it varies by region but was wondering about my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

.....wealthy.......

Who said anything about being wealthy? I've got a house, with a garage (and mortgage), and 4 TVs, only one of which is HD. If I were in your apparent postion, I'm not sure I'd be worried about TV at all. In fact, even without wealth, I expect to watch less TV aftert I retire since work commitments won't get in the way of the projects, hobbies, etc., I've been putting off for years.

And I'd venture to say that whatever SD channels those 16 TVs are tuned to won't be available on cable without a box pretty soon anyway, so you might as well suck it up and figure out what you think will provide long-term benefits. I'm not even sure a provider will give you 16 boxes, at least not without multiple accounts. Of course, this assumes you're serious and not just pulling our chain. I should have such a dilema.

Cheers, Dave
post #783 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

Who said anything about being wealthy? I've got a house, with a garage (and mortgage), and 4 TVs, only one of which is HD. If I were in your apparent postion, I'm not sure I'd be worried about TV at all. In fact, even without wealth, I expect to watch less TV aftert I retire since work commitments won't get in the way of the projects, hobbies, etc., I've been putting off for years.

I do appologize for my presumptive quoting of Benjamin Franklin .... "wealthy" was intended to be a relative term (compared to the much of the 3rd world's population).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion about an antenna .... unfortunately an OTA antenna won't pick up SD CNBC, CNN, etc.

BTW, what is the definition of "core channels" .... I'm sure it varies by region but was wondering about my area.

Probably you standard basic channels plus maybe a few more.
post #785 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Probably you standard basic channels plus maybe a few more.

I suspect a lot will depend on what contracts they have for some. I believe ESPN requires carriage and you might be safe with CNN, but a lot depends on their goal. If it's to retain customers, then you might get those channels that are viewed most often; CNN, HGTV, Food, Toon, etc., but if all they are trying to do is pacifiy some bureaucracy, then you might be out of luck. Unless they decide to go all-digital, we know they should continue to carry the locals until 2012, but anything else is just a guess.

I must say you do have an interesting dilema, but surely there are some home threater/dstribution network type solutions out there. You might consider starting a new thread with a title that might attract those who deal with such things. If it were me, I'd probably end up with 3 separate cable accounts or satellite dishes with the appropriate number of boxes. It just seems like there should be a more "elegant" solution.

Cheers, Dave
post #786 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found out some stuff pertinent to 3:1 muxing and what Comcast is doing to solve it; however, I probably shouldn't say what they're doing.

My source tells me what they're testing in my headend has much better PQ than what's out there right now in areas.
post #787 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 View Post

I found out some stuff pertinent to 3:1 muxing and what Comcast is doing to solve it; however, I probably shouldn't say what they're doing.

My source tells me what they're testing in my headend has much better PQ than what's out there right now in areas.

Sorry to ask for a bit more translation into layman's terms, but are you claiming that Comcast is rumored to be researching a fix to improve the degraded HD picture quality that resulted after they started cramming 3 HD channels into places where they used to have only 2 HD channels (i.e. 3 HD Channels per 38.8Mbps QAM vs. only 2 previously)?
post #788 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to ask for a bit more translation into layman's terms, but are you claiming that Comcast is rumored to be researching a fix to improve the degraded HD picture quality that resulted after they started cramming 3 HD channels into places where they used to have only 2 HD channels (i.e. 3 HD Channels per 38.8Mbps QAM vs. only 2 previously)?

Edit: removed because of a request
post #789 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
yeah it is called mpeg4!
post #790 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

yeah it is called mpeg4!

No. Not that.
post #791 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No. Not that.

Glad to hear that technical innovation is still alive and well after all
post #792 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Glad to hear that technical innovation is still alive and well after all

MPEG-4 will propagate when all the STB's go MPEG-4. DCX series boxes are releasing on Comcast systems in late June/July..
post #793 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

MPEG-4 will propagate when all the STB's go MPEG-4. DCX series boxes are releasing on Comcast systems in late June/July..

Yes, but they need to replace all those MPEG-2 only boxes before deploying MPEG-4 to any degree.

Dave Hancock
post #794 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Yes, but they need to replace all those MPEG-2 only boxes before deploying MPEG-4 to any degree.

Hence the reason why I said when ALL STBs are MPEG4...
post #795 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Hence the reason why I said when ALL STBs are MPEG4...

Opps, missed that

Dave Hancock
post #796 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

I would expect that will take close to 2 years to swap them all out, if that soon.
post #797 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I had noticed the quality problem a few weeks ago but thought it was just me, after seeing this, i ordered directv and turned off digital cable (kept cable modem + limited basic since $42.95 + 11.95 is cheaper than the $58.95 they charge if you have no tv service). Directv was able to have me installed 2 days after ordering. Quality is fantastic, Video on demand works awesome and i can start watching **** immediately (though cant fast forward all the way through till the movie/show is downloaded). Also if i get the full directv package, $95 or something, it will still be cheaper than comcast digital + internet with no premium channels.
post #798 of 2079 Old 04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm not sure if willow grove is doing anything special, but I do not realy see any problems since we got the new chans.

Is it possible that because we still dont have usa discover or sci fi that we are not 3:1 yet?
post #799 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 AM

Liked: 11
What portion of customer-owned digital tuners support MPEG4?
post #800 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

What portion of customer-owned digital tuners support MPEG4?

In terms of Televisions, none. It is not part of the Digital Cable Ready standard.

In terms of a Tivo Series 3 or a Tivo HD. I have heard that it does but I don't know for sure.

For Vista Media Center...I am pretty sure all it needs is a AVC H.264 decoder. The Digital Cable Tuners just record the raw bitstream AFAIK. AVC/H.264 is rumored to be coming in the "Fiji" release of Media Center (Sometime between now and whenever Windows 7 ships) since it is needed for DirecTV support which also appears to be coming with Fiji.

There was a Sony PVR that supported Cablecard way back when, I am sure it can't support MPEG-4.

No currently available STBs from Motorola or Cisco support MPEG-4. Motorola gets MPEG-4 with the DCX series of STBs (along with 1Ghz tuning...better compression and more available QAMs if you are on a 1Ghz system).

-- Jim
post #801 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Came across a greatly condensed version of Saul Hansell's March 31 blog about this thread in today's NY TImes ("Bits" column). Suspect the longer March 31 blog writeup was mentioned or linked earlier here. (Don't know if the link above requires a subscription or registration and cookie from the Times.)
--John
post #802 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

also the panasonic OCAP (true2way) boxes comcast supposedly has on order (from ces's years back) where to come with MPEG4.

I wonder if that means the panasonic true2way retail products supposedly due this year will also have mpeg 4?

(actually bigger picture - woulnd't it be intelligent for cablelabs to make MPEG4 part of the true2way standard- so at some point everyone gets there- makes too much sense so probably isn't in there....)

Sansri- since they can't go mpeg4 and there's no magic way to increase the bits- did someone with a brain just figure out to put 2 HD and X amount of SD on a single qam to max it out yet not overwelm it? Since MPEG4 is out, unless they are filtering it or reducing resolution like DBS (both of which one could argue cause a reduction in quality)- i dont beleive there's much else that can be done if they insist on putting 3 HD in one qam.

I understand the thinking that 2 HD on one QAM is more bits/higher quality then the competition so it's wastefull (not sure I agree but I get the logic- it's not insane or anything by my figuring). But I dont understand the jump that everyone seems to make that you can only mux HD on one stream- Directv used to(still does?) do the same thing with the transponders and that's wastefull too. Why not mix and match hd and sd to max out the pipes without overloading?
post #803 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

i hear as soon as Comcast takes over they raise your bill as well.

Less for more.

That's Comcastic!

sorry to wonder off- but my provider got bought up by comcast too.

the bill isn't any higher - YET.

but they just sent a letter that my 10 down 1 up broadband is having a "comcastic" change and becoming 6:1 with powerboost. Special. Real world It's not a big deal I'm sure but it just feels wrong.

So apparently "comcastic" is a synonym for inferior.

Apparently 3 to a QAM is Comcastic HD.
post #804 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Someone came up with the term for Comcast with their new compression methods -

Compresscast

Until they get the quality back I think is is appropriate.
post #805 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've noticed that many of the comcast HD channels that looked bad before look much better recently. Have they been improving the picture quality on their HD channels recently?
post #806 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I've noticed that many of the comcast HD channels that looked bad before look much better recently. Have they been improving the picture quality on their HD channels recently?

Comcast (Compresscast) is in the process of upgrading their systems. So your area may have have gotten better distribution equipment that is delivering a stronger signal.
post #807 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The quality of Comcast has gone down in the Bay Area. For me I noticed it around a month ago, about the same time my bill went up?!?! I think it is time for a change.

The cheese fell off my cracker a long time ago...
post #808 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I too have noticed improvements recently in the Atlanta, GA area (Vinnings headend). When they first added all the new HD channels (Sci-Fi, History, etc.) back in December, the quality was horrible and there were lots of audio dropouts. From my perspective, things have improved greatly the past week or so. It's probably not to FIOS standards, but it sure is better than what it was.
post #809 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Regarding the measurement table from the first page. I can't believe that there are some hd-channels with a avg bitrate of <10 Mbit/s. The pq must be awful.

In germany we have a lot complaints about a reduction from 20 Mbit/s down to 15 Mbit/s. And that's MPEG4.
post #810 of 2079 Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

The quality of Comcast has gone down in the Bay Area. For me I noticed it around a month ago, about the same time my bill went up?!?! I think it is time for a change.

I agree 100%.
About a month or so ago is when I noticed the major problems with
the quality.

Something is going on and Comcast is not telling us at all.

All the while, the monthly rates go higher and higher and higher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page